Cancellation Confusion

We finally decided to cancel our mid April transatlantic due to our ages and the Coronavirus situation. After an hour and a half of being on hold, I finally reached an agent who cancelled our cruise (or at least I thought he did). I never got the cancellation email, the cruise is still active on my Royal Caribbean account, and I did get an email thanking me for choosing Royal Caribbean along with a new invoice. No where did it say the cruise is cancelled. And of course it’s a Do Not Reply. If any of you have cancelled in recent days, what has been your experience? If no true cancellation documentation comes tomorrow, I will have to call back. 

We have also cancelled today, after getting 3 different agents and 3 different outcomes for our cruise in 2 weeks and more than 4 hours of phone call. We haven't had any email , cruise is still showing on our Cruise planner and our transatlantic flights are still showing .

I had a cruise booked through my TA. I sent her an email and she took care of it in 10 minutes.  Refund hasn't hit the bank yet, but the agency sent me documentation confirming cancellation.  Basically the original invoice showing refund issued and $0 balance due.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

I had a cruise booked through my TA. I sent her an email and she took care of it in 10 minutes.  Refund hasn't hit the bank yet, but the agency sent me documentation confirming cancellation.  Basically the original invoice showing refund issued and $0 balance due.

That was actually what I received with a balance of $0 but no refund information and on a form thanking me for sailing with them. 
“Dear JUDITH,
Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean. We're thrilled you've chosen to sail with us. Below you will find your cruise vacation summary and links to travel documents and FAQs“. IMHO not a cancellation notice. 

I’m assuming you are paid in full? I just canceled a cruise we had scheduled for next week, refunded drink package and port fees have been applied to credit card  but told me voucher certificate email will show show up in 5-7 days 

Hi. Cancelled my cruise last Friday - booked direct with Royal (UK), was told they fill out a form and this gets sent to another department to sort. I chased Sunday and again this Tuesday as have had absolutely nothing and the cruise sets sail on 16th March. 

I am now reading the cruise is cancelled by Royal (Jewel 16th March) but again nothing as yet. The cruise is still ‘live’ on the system so I’ve cancelled all the excursions & drinks packages and will just wait. 

When I chased I was told they are busy and it will get done eventually... I have noted times of call and names of who I spoke to and emailed confirmation (no response yet except automated one)... there’s not much more I can do so will not worry and let time sort... 😐

I canceled last Saturday. I got an email which canceled all the on board stuff, I need to check my CC about the shore excursions, and verbally got a cruise cancellation number. They said I’d get FCC via email after a week or so via email. It’s not showing in the Royal app any more but at first it was. 

I had cancelled Monday with my TA and they e-mailed to me to say it was "in process".  A friend on the ship texted me yesterday morning saying my reservation was active.  After a total off 6 hours on the phone yesterday (thankfully, at work with a headset so I could just be on hold and work) with Royal (who couldn't help even with the e-mail chain) and various e-mails to the TA (getting more hot each time), I finally got an e-mail late from Royal cancelling my purchases and took the cruise off the planner.  Nothing else yet (but, I figure at least if I have that, I can always fight for the FCC since it was cancelled in time).  Cruise was scheduled for this Sunday, 15th March.  I know they are all slammed - but it's a bit frustrating for us passengers as well.  I did hear that Royal was trying to set up another way for the cancellations by TA to make the process go more quickly due to the unbelievable volume.  I hope all get yours resolved as well.

3 minutes ago, Frick_&_Frack said:

I had cancelled Monday with my TA and they e-mailed to me to say it was "in process".  A friend on the ship texted me yesterday morning saying my reservation was active.  After a total off 6 hours on the phone yesterday (thankfully, at work with a headset so I could just be on hold and work) with Royal (who couldn't help even with the e-mail chain) and various e-mails to the TA (getting more hot each time), I finally got an e-mail late from Royal cancelling my purchases and took the cruise off the planner.  Nothing else yet (but, I figure at least if I have that, I can always fight for the FCC since it was cancelled in time).  Cruise was scheduled for this Sunday, 15th March.  I know they are all slammed - but it's a bit frustrating for us passengers as well.  I did hear that Royal was trying to set up another way for the cancellations by TA to make the process go more quickly due to the unbelievable volume.  I hope all get yours resolved as well.

Dont rush to get your cancelation confirmation. Usually it takes up to ten working days. Even when it is canceled the reservation will still be on hold until the company decide what to do with the free cabin. As far as compensations go, I would contact them in a week time to make sure that they recieved your request for cancelation. Trying to find out the information earlier will only waste your time. Trust me. Moreover, those guys walking on the phone are lazy as hell, so dont expect them to help you quickly. 

Exact same scenario. We got the cruise planner cancellation emails , but the cruise itself still shows in the cruise planner and I also got an invoice (that looks the same as final payment) later that evening.  My husband called last night to confirm that it was actually cancelled. What worries me a bit us that I asked twice for a cancellation number and the Royal agent said there was none. And now just in good faith we'll get FCC email.

I cancelled my May cruise last night... took 45 minutes to get an agent. I was still in the 50% refund phase and I had to push to get it... agent told me that it was 'extraordinary times' and I had to take the FCC... we went back and forth a bit with me insisting I wanted only 50% back in refund to my credit card plus taxes/fees/port expenses and that's what it said in my pdf invoice from them. Finally got it but couldn't get anything in writing - and agent and I waited another 20 minutes for him to talk with a resolution person. I did get a verbal cancellation number and the cruise disappeared from my planner. I had cancelled all my cruise planner activities before I called.

The agent was polite as could be and told me it was a pleasure working with me at the end. I told him I think their company has some of the best customer service folk I've ever had to interact with.

This was only a short 2 night cruise flying down from MD to Coco Cay and just not worth the hassle/worries at this time. SW fully credited me for the flights and airbnb had full refund. I'm so glad I got my 2 night in to Nassau on Celebrity in January with perfect weather.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

I cancelled my 3/22 sailing last night.  Asked for a confirmation # but she said it had to go through a supervisor and would be processed.  Confirmed my email address.  Said the refund would be 7-10 business days and the cruise credit would be issued in 5.  We'll see.  My reservation is still active online.

14 hours ago, pthjudy said:

That was actually what I received with a balance of $0 but no refund information and on a form thanking me for sailing with them. 
“Dear JUDITH,
Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean. We're thrilled you've chosen to sail with us. Below you will find your cruise vacation summary and links to travel documents and FAQs“. IMHO not a cancellation notice. 

Right after speaking with the RCCL agent to cancel our upcoming cruise, I received the same exact email....immediately sent off an email to RCCL asking why...I will post when I receive a response..

I just cancelled my April cruise and the very nice lady told me that the reservation would still show active all day today, that they have a separate department processing the second part of their cancellation process, and it should show cancelled by tomorrow.

I haven't seen it said anywhere on here yet, but I wanted to share that they are refunding the taxes and port fees, that was a nice surprise.  Says it will take 7 to 10 business days for that to happen.  I should get my cruise credit via email within 5 days.

The cruise credit is assigned to each person based on the rate they were booked.  I booked during a special so everyone in our two rooms has a different amount coming to them. 

One hour 40 minutes and when I needed to contact again I did a very bad thing. I pressed the prompt for those traveling today with an emergency. The agent was nice and did say cruise was cancelled. No wait for that which is a very good thing if you really are traveling!

57 minutes ago, trarecar said:

I just cancelled my April cruise and the very nice lady told me that the reservation would still show active all day today, that they have a separate department processing the second part of their cancellation process, and it should show cancelled by tomorrow.

I haven't seen it said anywhere on here yet, but I wanted to share that they are refunding the taxes and port fees, that was a nice surprise.  Says it will take 7 to 10 business days for that to happen.  I should get my cruise credit via email within 5 days.

The cruise credit is assigned to each person based on the rate they were booked.  I booked during a special so everyone in our two rooms has a different amount coming to them. 

I had a very similar experience the other night.  Everyone just has to be patient and let them process the thousands of cancellations they are getting.  My cruise is no longer in my cruise planner, though it is still in the app.  I received an email for cancellation of all my cruise planner purchases and also got a cancellation number from the rep before I hung up.  I always call the C&A number as I find those reps to be more experienced and efficient.

Just got off the phone(approx. 1 hour wait) looking into canceling cruise, after final payment date but still within 50% penalty phase. Talked with agent and initially got to the point of getting taxes and fees + 50% cruise fare refunded to CC and balance as an FCC. similar to what I have read here. After being put on hold,  agent came back and said policy(?) changed and only taxes and fees to be refunded with balance to be issued as a FCC. What the heck!. At that point I saw no benefit to cancel at this time and will just wait until a week before sail date to reassess the situation.

• Like 1

I'm sorry. As I posted above I was also in the 50% penalty phase when I called last night and it took me saying multiple times (and mentioning my pdf invoice from them) that I wanted the 50% cruise fare plus taxes/fees/port expenses back to my credit card and the agent saying only FCC now before I got it.

I think it's only one or the other though... either you take the cancellation penalty and only get the 50% plus taxes/fees/port OR you take the 100% FCC. You don't get refund to credit card and remainder as FCC.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

I cancelled an April cruise today through a large TA. The agent was not able to get a cancellation number, the Rep said that the FCC would be applied to the original reservation number with no addition cancellation number.

I checked my online Royal Caribbean online account, this cruse is still list under my Upcoming Cruises.

When will this cruise no longer appear there?