Princess suspends cruise ship operations for 60 days

ipeeinthepool

3 minutes ago, cluso said:

People seem to have forgotten about global warming.  A lot of half empty ships milling around at sea would not be a good thing.  Too many people are putting themselves and their vacations first, and not looking at the big picture.

What is the difference in a full vs. half empty ship and the impact on climate change?  Probably somewhat less fuel on a half empty ship.

7 minutes ago, kenevenpar said:

What is the difference in a full vs. half empty ship and the impact on climate change?  Probably somewhat less fuel on a half empty ship.

IMO, all cruise lines should take a break from sailings until things get sorted out.  It adds to the carbon footprint, no matter how small.

6 minutes ago, cluso said:

IMO, all cruise lines should take a break from sailings until things get sorted out.  It adds to the carbon footprint, no matter how small.

It sounds like two different things; take a break from sailings (I guess because of the virus), and the carbon footprint.  One does not have anything to do with the other.

1 minute ago, pasta1 said:

My only thought why other cruise lines have not shut down there operations is that Princes was the only cruise line that had Corona diagnosed cases on board.

Viking also paused their cruises - until April 30th I believe.  But yes, I do think Princess did it because of all the bad press.

• Like 1

It's nice to see that lines like Princess and Viking at least they try to show some compassion for the health and well being of all their crew and passengers worldwide. And then there is RCL (Celebrity) who have their sole purpose of making money at all cost. The people who make these decisions have no regard for people surviving in the real world.

It would be interesting to know if they, Viking and Princess, have Business Interruption insurance that would respond in this case?  I guess we would find out down the road in their parent company SEC filings, assuming Viking is part of a public company.

I was not aware of that,also I believe Virgins new ship will not sail. We are going on the Summit end of May, Equinox end of September and the Sky Princess early November, just hoping for the best!

2 hours ago, SusieV said:

Are there problems onboard that would make you want to leave??

There are no problems on board but one does not know who is boarding and where they have been.  Our main concern is the state of this pandemic two weeks from now and being able to travel home.  Obviously Princess and Viking cruises are as worried as we are.

8 minutes ago, kenevenpar said:

It would be interesting to know if they, Viking and Princess, have Business Interruption insurance that would respond in this case?  I guess we would find out down the road in their parent company SEC filings, assuming Viking is part of a public company.

Nope, Viking is a private company, "As a private company with strong finances, we do not have to worry about quarterly profit expectations..."

Source: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html

Another poster already suggested this, and I fully agree, that Princess is doing so because of the bad press from the Diamond and Grand Princess. HAL, Cunard, Costa, P&O, etc. haven't made such announcements, and I don't suspect they will.

If X follows the same example and does cancel sailings including May 10 (which includes their first Alaska sailing I'm booked on) that would be bad. I have a round the world ticket pieced together just to pick up this cruise mid way. To cancel or semi-dismantle this will be a nightmare.

10 minutes ago, 81dollar said:

Nope, Viking is a private company, "As a private company with strong finances, we do not have to worry about quarterly profit expectations..."

Source: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html

Another poster already suggested this, and I fully agree, that Princess is doing so because of the bad press from the Diamond and Grand Princess. HAL, Cunard, Costa, P&O, etc. haven't made such announcements, and I don't suspect they will.

Thanks, good to know.

34 minutes ago, kenevenpar said:

It sounds like two different things; take a break from sailings (I guess because of the virus), and the carbon footprint.  One does not have anything to do with the other.

I agree with you, kenevenpar - I also think there are "bigger fish to fry" than cruise ships re: carbon footprint . . .

28 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

It's nice to see that lines like Princess and Viking at least they try to show some compassion for the health and well being of all their crew and passengers worldwide. And then there is RCL (Celebrity) who have their sole purpose of making money at all cost. The people who make these decisions have no regard for people surviving in the real world.

Wow- you certainly sound angry.

I guarantee you that by continuing to sail Celebrity is not making money. The cruise we just cancelled was at 23% of cabins booked.

Right now they are sorting out how to best handle thousands of crew who would face huge issues returning home, hundreds of thousands of booked passengers who have paid for trips and probably trying to come up with a plan that leaves the company still in business when this ends. All those millions in FCCs are no good in a BK company.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

If X follows the same example and does cancel sailings including May 10 (which includes their first Alaska sailing I'm booked on) that would be bad. I have a round the world ticket pieced together just to pick up this cruise mid way. To cancel or semi-dismantle this will be a nightmare.

I would take a look at port closures on your round the world journey. With almost all ports in Asia closed. India and Sri Lanka same you have more problems coming.

39 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

If you have such a negative opinion of RCL, why are you posting on this forum anyway?  Trolls need not apply.

40 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

To be fair most many of your posts were pretty anti Celebrity even before the virus, not sure why you are still interested in the line.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

I would take a look at port closures on your round the world journey. With almost all ports in Asia closed. India and Sri Lanka same you have more problems coming.

My cruise starts and ends in Vancouver (7 days). The other stops along my way are by air.

Hmmm.

Princess is owned by Carnival.

Carnival owns:

Princess

AIDA

Dearborn

Cunard

P&O

Holland America

Costa

None of the others have announced shutting down. Sure seems 2 major disasters with COVID - Diamond & Grand are the reason that Princess suspended.

Could it be their insurer was involved?

2 hours ago, kenevenpar said:

Cruise lines cannot contract CV, poeple (maybe some animals) do.

Now you know that is what I meant,PEOPLE not the cruise ship its self!!  BUT the germs from a person with CV can live on surfaces for a while,So technically,the CV Is on a CRUISE SHIP!!  RIGHT ??????

1 hour ago, kenevenpar said:

I believe I read Viking is not a public company.

5 minutes ago, Harrylinden said:

Now you know that is what I meant,PEOPLE not the cruise ship its self!!  BUT the germs from a person with CV can live on surfaces for a while,So technically,the CV Is on a CRUISE SHIP!!  RIGHT ??????

😉  No worries.