Where do all the ships go for 30 days

On 3/18/2020 at 4:19 PM, Snit13 said:

Not if they really CLEANED the ship.  We were on Majesty cruise before drydock and a cruise after and tables in bar were just as dirty as before and they told us they were going to clean.  Someone needs to teach them how to clean not give tables, etc. a "lick and a promise."

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Well done

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Taken by a crew member of the ships hanging out near CocoCay.

wow thanks for sharing Merion Mom.   I have wanting see this.  In way it is  kind of neat to see so many.  I wonder if they visit each other via lifeboats?  sure which the three Oasis would line up for a photo.

On 3/19/2020 at 11:01 AM, SarahD112 said:

Maybe his surprise is just stemming from the fact that he thought he’d be able to stay onboard for the whole 30 days and that isn’t happening. Maybe we’re all reading something into it that isn’t there? Hoping for more info in the next video!

hoping it was not because he is doing video blog...………..

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I crew member on Oasis posted that the ship will be doing some movement soon too. It was unclear exactly why and whether or not they would actually be docking somewhere.

Probably to generate more fresh water, the ship needs to be underway.

dub dub dub marinetraffic dot com. go find your facorite ship. As a person who drives by Port Canaveral every day for work, some ships are just hanging out in port and some have come and gone. I think things have settled over the past wek.

Tonight was supposed to be our last night on HOTS. Boo Hoo.

We've had Disney Magic and Fantasy off our beach all week, and now we have Carnival Liberty as a big PSA

IMG_6606.thumb.JPG.51aaf67b11c22299ef03f38de4a25837.JPG

IMG_6611.thumb.JPG.8abba1cd0ce218cc94f1815064570771.JPG

It's a little to far out to read without binoculars, though

IMG_6619.thumb.JPG.5f2ca070292d671f9192942f3bada243.JPG

The Norwegian ships are out making water or dumping poop I guess

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I can't say I've seen the following status or destination for a ship before (this is for Freedom):

image.thumb.png.511fc70228eb486052e7e8a1dfcbc2f9.png

@chengkp75 may need to provide some context for that one.

Well, as for the destination, it just means that no decision has been made where to store the ship, or they are waiting on something like bunkers (possibly from Trinidad).

The status is commonly used, but is not accurate.  While they are saying that their propulsion is off-line, voluntarily, to allow them to reduce the number of diesels they run, "not under command" actually means that their propulsion or steering is non-functional, and they have no ability to maneuver.  They are using this as a warning to other vessels that it will take a few minutes to get propulsion on line to maneuver if you come too close.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Jacksonville has three or four ships docked, one or two Carnivals and two NCLs. 

They first announced two Carnival ship and two NCL ships until today there were two Carnival and one NCL ships.  I just checked marine traffic, and right now there in Carnival ship (the one that is homeported here) and one NCL ship.  However it looks like there are two NCL ships in bound.

1 hour ago, gatour said:

They first announced two Carnival ship and two NCL ships until today there were two Carnival and one NCL ships.  I just checked marine traffic, and right now there in Carnival ship (the one that is homeported here) and one NCL ship.  However it looks like there are two NCL ships in bound.

I never saw anything after the first announcement. I live almost on the St Johns County line. 

Any other time I’d have driven to Dames Point just to look. 

45 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I never saw anything after the first announcement. I live almost on the St Johns County line. 

Any other time I’d have driven to Dames Point just to look. 

I live just south of the Duval/St Johns County line (in St Johns County)

I also didn't see any other announcement.  I just kept an eye on marine tracker.  The NCL ship was at Tallyrand while the second Carnival ship was at Blount Island.  The NCL ship has moved out to sea, while a new NCL ship is coming up the river. As I typed this it passed Blount Island so is probably heading up to Tallyrand

22 hours ago, jagsfan said:

It’s like Super Bowl XXXIX when we used cruise ships for hotels. Hopefully we won’t need one or more for hospitals. 

We are now up to four.  The carnival ship at the cruise port, and three NCL ships.  One at Tallyrand, one at the relatively new Dames Point new terminal, and one at Blount Island.

As the chief has said the NCL ships will probably have to periodically head out to sea, to allow actual cargo ships dock and offload their cargo.

On 3/25/2020 at 11:36 AM, gatour said:

1 hour ago, gatour said:

We are now up to four.  The carnival ship at the cruise port, and three NCL ships.  One at Tallyrand, one at the relatively new Dames Point new terminal, and one at Blount Island.

As the chief has said the NCL ships will probably have to periodically head out to sea, to allow actual cargo ships dock and offload their cargo.

Lucky people on the river and in beachfront condos who will get to watch them coming and going. 

I’m used to seeing just shrimpboats and freighters. 

I assume RCCL's per ship costs are in the same ball park as CCL (maybe @chengkp75 can confirm) - the only question is which RCCL ship will be in "hot layup" vs "prolonged layup".

Cruise operators are quickly entering hot lay up scenarios with their cruise ships, meaning a mostly full set of crew and a ship that could return to service almost immediately. 

A once unforeseen scenario is now reality and Carnival Corporation, in a recent SEC filing, has detailed the costs associated with a hot lay up - referred to as a warm lay up in Carnival's filing - at $2 to $3 million per month per vessel.

Carnival said the cost per prolonged ship lay up is appropriately $1 million per month, which it said it anticipates doing for the majority of its fleet.

A prolonged lay up will generally see reduced crewing and limited technical operations, also meaning the ship could take weeks to be ready to return to service.

"During the pause in our global fleet cruise operations, certain of our ships will be in warm ship lay up where the ship will be manned by a full crew and certain of our ships will be in a prolonged ship lay up where the ship will be manned by a limited crew," Carnival said.

"We will decide whether each vessel in our global fleet will be in a warm ship lay up or a prolonged ship lay up depending on the circumstances, including the length of pause, which we expect to be extended and may be prolonged," the company said.

"We currently estimate the substantial majority of our fleet will be in prolonged ship layup," Carnival said, in the filing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe @chengkp75 can chime in why, but the RCI ships seem to be hanging out south of the Keys now, instead of by CocoCay -most seem to replenish in Maimi and then head south. @TennisCaptain will need to ask the mods to edit the title of the thread soon - the 30 days are up this week.

image.png.1fa338d8df8a621bbaea4fd81bd74aec.png

Edited by Biker19

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Maybe @chengkp75 can chime in why, but the RCI ships seem to be hanging out south of the Keys now, instead of by CocoCay -most seem to replenish in Maimi and then head south. @TennisCaptain will need to ask the mods to edit the title of the thread soon - the 30 days are up this week.

Just speculating, but I believe it has to do with the USCG order regarding ships in US waters needing evacuations and ships outside the 12 mile range needing to rely on foreign resources.  There may be a grey area in there and Royal wants to say they haven't left US terretorial waters? 

9 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Harmony and Mariner keep coming back here for supplies. Probably have contracts here and using MCO for crew flights. Carnival and Disney ships seem to stick around.  We have 8 off the coadt most days. Norwegian have vanished