Refund, Future Credit or Rebook?

Javert1969

On 3/23/2020 at 11:24 AM, terrierjohn said:

I see this as a very sensible option for P&O to adopt, here's hoping they think the same.

In another context you posted that we all have to take our share of the pain, or words to that effect.

I think that if P&O met customers half way and allowed this type of sensible option then more people would take the option to transfer the money to their next cruise balance and not push for the cash refund which (for the moment at least) they are legally entitled to within 14 days of cancellation.

I would also like to think that P&O might show a bit more compassion in future to individual customers who have to cancel rather than their usual our terms and conditions allow us to  x so that’s that. As anyone who has had to cancel will be well aware there was never any come and go from them at all.

On 3/17/2020 at 3:58 PM, CRUISENSNOOZE said:

Maybe I'm one of a few, but I'm getting just a bit fed up with all this fob-off. This is the 21st century.  Technology now is nearly instantaneous.

When I pay for a holiday, I can check my bank account one minute later and the money has already been taken!! I get an email from both my TA and the Cruise Line with our attached Invoice...so they have our email address.

About 18 weeks before the cruise, we get an email reminding us to book our excursions and drinks packages etc etc (so they have our email).  Two weeks later, another email reminding you of something else (so they have our email). Ten or twelve weeks before we are to sail, we get a reminder about the balance (so have our email address). We pay the balance and whoosh...the money is out of our account.  2-3 weeks before we sail we get yet another email with tickets attached etc etc.

Then your cruise gets cancelled...……………...now it's DEAFENING SILENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 2nd cruise was cancelled 4 days ago and to date not a word from P&O or my TA. I have emailed twice....nothing. Surely a round Robin letter from your TA or P&O would make you feel just a tiny bit cared for....or is that too much to ask?? 

So yes, I will be implementing the 14 day refund regulations as we are in the 21st Century. Maybe our TA...who I think may live in the 'North Pole' by the house they live in, could just answer an email or make that phone call (p.s. our other TA was very quick, so know who I will be using in future)

I thought if you booked via a TA everything had to go through them, so surely pando would have to refund the TA who would then have to refund you. Rather than direct from Pando  to you.

As an aside |I have seen articles floating about the web, that to stop the whole travel industry going bottoms up (not just cruises) a new law is coming in shortly that means companies do not have to issue refunds, just credits. Basically its so all travel companies are not suddenly hit with thousands of people wanting refunds and not having the wherewithall  to do it. I think the info i read was written by Simon Calder.

2 minutes ago, the english lady said:

I thought if you booked via a TA everything had to go through them, so surely pando would have to refund the TA who would then have to refund you. Rather than direct from Pando  to you.

I rang my TA one of the biggest cruise TAs in the country and all she was interested in is for my cruise in May with Cunard is to cancel it and have a 110% FCC any other questions I asked all she said was ring Cunard. I always thought that Cunard wouldnt speak about a booking if not booked direct with them and always to contact your TA but mine didnt want to know yesterday.

29 minutes ago, the english lady said:

As an aside |I have seen articles floating about the web, that to stop the whole travel industry going bottoms up (not just cruises) a new law is coming in shortly that means companies do not have to issue refunds, just credits. Basically its so all travel companies are not suddenly hit with thousands of people wanting refunds and not having the wherewithall  to do it. I think the info i read was written by Simon Calder.

That's what ABTA are lobbying the government for, as they do not seem to have the funds to bail them all out.. 

Andy 

1 hour ago, the english lady said:

Yes ABTA have requested this but have not as yet got it, there is information on their web page detailing what they want the transport minister to do. It will be interesting to see if they do get the change and if they do, when it applies from.

Generally laws are not retrospective (though very occasionally it happens). If it only applies from the date it is passed then all cancellations to that date would still be entitled to a cash refund. That’s probably why holiday companies are only cancelling in small time frames rather than for the months of travel they know will be disrupted.

3 hours ago, the english lady said:

That's correct.  I am awaiting my refund which goes to my TAs Client account and then gets refunded to me.

50 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

That's correct.  I am awaiting my refund which goes to my TAs Client account and then gets refunded to me.

I hope you're right. My TA doesn't seem at all interested in processing my request for a refund. P&O will not tell if the refund offer is still on as more recent emails on the subject don't mention a refund.

I contacted my Travel Insurer about a claim and they said as P&O had offered a credit the TI would not pay a claim.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

My payments made to my TA go direct to P&O, and they are listed as the recipient on my credit card account, so I imagine P&O would provide any refund, albeit my TA would arrange it.

30 minutes ago, cruisefan2012 said:

Has anybody that has had whatever reason to cancel their cruise ACTUALLY had a refund yet from P&O

I havent had a refund yet -  patience is a virtue I don`t possess...

I suppose it depends why you had to cancel, and what supporting evidence you have for your claim.

Two /three weeks ago P&O said that we could get a refund for our cruise, as one of us was over  70, and the government said that no one in that age group should cruise. At the same time P&O asked that we should not contact them until nearer the time.

Surprise! Now P&O are changing  their t&cs! 

Good luck with your claim  - I fear you may be unlucky.

I see a couple of posts mention travel insurance not being interested if you have been given an offer of a credit. This may be the case (not saying it is fair) but our daughter’s ski trip was cancelled and the travel company refused to refund as they claimed the chalet was still being available (in France, really?). The company did however issue each member of the group ( it was a single group booking ) with an individual invoice. The insurance company paid up (-excess) straight away. 

With regards to cruising though I would be a bit concerned as some passengers will have booked a cruise this year and may due to age & medical history have paid quite a hefty insurance premium. If they are given  a future cruise credit then they will have to pay another hefty premium for next year. 

7 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Nobody will come out of this unscathed... 

Between us, we will lose loved ones, businesses, jobs and money. 

Losing an insurance premium is not nice, but in the grand scheme of things.... 

Lets hope we can all stay alive.. 

Andy 

I had not even considered that I could be "losing" an insurance premium but we possibly might.  We only take cruise holidays and had only 2 booked this year which our annual policy would cover, the April one has now been cancelled and the Sept one must be in doubt.  However as I write off the insurance payment as soon as its paid I guess it hardly constitutes a true loss.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I had not even considered that I could be "losing" an insurance premium but we possibly might.  We only take cruise holidays and had only 2 booked this year which our annual policy would cover, the April one has now been cancelled and the Sept one must be in doubt.  However as I write off the insurance payment as soon as its paid I guess it hardly constitutes a true loss.

It didn't cross my mind either John, until I read posts on here. 

We have an annual policy that probably won't be used now, so yes, we are 'losing' the premium. 

But in the grand scheme of things... 

Andy 

27 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The point may be more a case of if you have any cruises booked for the following year.  So if you keep the annual insurance running they would be fully covered if booked before all this set off.  If some one cancels an insurance policy, then re-insures at a later date, then they would only be insured on current terms - so no cover for Coronavirus.  That has made us quite happy to keep our policy on, even if we do not go anywhere in the next year. 

15 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

It didn't cross my mind either John, until I read posts on here. 

We have an annual policy that probably won't be used now, so yes, we are 'losing' the premium. 

But in the grand scheme of things... 

Andy 

It depends what the policy costs. In her last few years my mums cruise insurance premium was higher than the price of the cruise so some people could be losing thousands on insurance as well (and get a worthless to them, FCC). My 85 year old neighbour has lost a holiday and a hefty insurance premium and is now pretty sure she won’t get cover again, so will be stuck in the UK for holidays going forward.

Right now I am trying  to be prosaic about financial loses and counting my blessings that I am (at least for the moment) well.

16 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

It depends what the policy costs. In her last few years my mums cruise insurance premium was higher than the price of the cruise so some people could be losing thousands on insurance as well (and get a worthless to them, FCC). My 85 year old neighbour has lost a holiday and a hefty insurance premium and is now pretty sure she won’t get cover again, so will be stuck in the UK for holidays going forward.

Right now I am trying  to be prosaic about financial loses and counting my blessings that I am (at least for the moment) well.

That's my point, regardless of the amount, it is money already spent that could obviously be afforded at the time... 

Not nice, but a minor suffering compared to what is going on... 

Glad you are well. 

Andy 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

That's my point, regardless of the amount, it is money already spent that could obviously be afforded at the time... 

Not nice, but a minor suffering compared to what is going on... 

Glad you are well. 

Andy 

Fully understand the sentiment Andy and as our annual insurance policy was only £150 I hadn’t considered it as a loss either, but I don’t think that many people losing thousands would consider it to a minor issue. For me, health and financial losses are unrelated. You could remain healthy and have no financial losses, or lose a fortune and get the virus as well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The initial point was that everyone will suffer in one way or another... 

People losing loved ones, businesses, jobs and homes makes losing money that could be afforded at the time, even thousands, insignificant in my mind... 

It's not nice, but others will pay a much higher price... 

Andy 

I'm interested if the Travel Insurance Co would count re-booking with FCC as making a booking within this period therefore excluded from and CV disruption or be classed as an existing booking that is transferred. I have emailed them but no response as yet (understandably) but wondering if anyone else has asked that question and had a reply.

9 hours ago, Ranchi said:

I see a couple of posts mention travel insurance not being interested if you have been given an offer of a credit. This may be the case (not saying it is fair) but our daughter’s ski trip was cancelled and the travel company refused to refund as they claimed the chalet was still being available (in France, really?). The company did however issue each member of the group ( it was a single group booking ) with an individual invoice. The insurance company paid up (-excess) straight away. 

With regards to cruising though I would be a bit concerned as some passengers will have booked a cruise this year and may due to age & medical history have paid quite a hefty insurance premium. If they are given  a future cruise credit then they will have to pay another hefty premium for next year. 

my insurance company have transferred the insurance that we had booked for may,  to our future December one with no problem,  and no other fees needed.  she said as it was the same itinerary and the same number of nights she just changed the dates and voila. the insurance company is "insurance with" if any body is interested. 

18 hours ago, cruisefan2012 said:

Has anybody that has had whatever reason to cancel their cruise ACTUALLY had a refund yet from P&O

I havent had a refund yet -  patience is a virtue I don`t possess...

Significant that no one has replied.

1 hour ago, manonabike said:

I'm interested if the Travel Insurance Co would count re-booking with FCC as making a booking within this period therefore excluded from and CV disruption or be classed as an existing booking that is transferred. I have emailed them but no response as yet (understandably) but wondering if anyone else has asked that question and had a reply.

Will be interested to know the answer as we have done just that for a Feb  2021 cruise.

• Like 1