Cruise Ship Locations - During the cruise ship ban of 2020/2021/2022

3 hours ago, boeckli said:

What makes you think they haven't been 'behind the wheel ' for a while?  Unlike planes parked in the desert,  the cruise ships have been on the go continuously,  even if at times they only carried a minimum crew. So captains and some senior officers would have had their normal rotations (within the possibilities of Covid  travel restrictions).

Yes, I understand that.  I just wondered if they needed particular lengths of voyage, ports, or sea journeys, much as pilots need that certification and repetition.  I'm not challenging their safety standards, I am merely curious.

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

??? Diamond Princess and Sapphire Princess are just off Singapore. Sapphire is supposed to be here for the 21/22 season if it goes ahead.

Oops - missed those two 🙄

Do you think the 21/22 WILL go ahead? We have 2 cruises booked on Sapphire in Dec ‘21, but very much doubt they’ll happen 🥺

24 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Oops - missed those two 🙄

Do you think the 21/22 WILL go ahead? We have 2 cruises booked on Sapphire in Dec ‘21, but very much doubt they’ll happen 🥺

It's unlikely but even if there is a restart it won't be the itineraries that are currently scheduled. I've been hoping they would allow some domestic cruising by just a few ships but it's looking less and less likely now. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 5:56 PM, Porky55 said:

The way the Australia and New Zealand government have been talking (or in this case the lack of talking with the cruise lines), I cant see the 21/22 season going ahead.

We MAY see something happen with P&O Australia and Carnival in between the seasons, but it till the  government talks to them, we wont see them back for a while.

Once the federal election in Australia are over and done with, then they might start talking to the cruise lines.

• Like 1

Even if and when all the regulations and paperwork are good to go, I understand the problem is constant border closures.  It is the cruise lines that don’t want to take the risks of half their passengers not being able to board, or worse, disembark.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Port Power said:

Even if and when all the regulations and paperwork are good to go, I understand the problem is constant border closures.  It is the cruise lines that don’t want to take the risks of half their passengers not being able to board, or worse, disembark.

That may change when a higher percentage of the population is vaccinated.

Also as I imagine cruising will recommence with very restricted passenger numbers initially then cruises could be restricted to only passengers that live in the embarkation state and cruises to nowhere, or cruises that return to the embarkation port, would be the only options. That way if state borders did snap shut then port stops just get missed.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That may change when a higher percentage of the population is vaccinated.

Also as I imagine cruising will recommence with very restricted passenger numbers initially then cruises could be restricted to only passengers that live in the embarkation state and cruises to nowhere, or cruises that return to the embarkation port, would be the only options. That way if state borders did snap shut then port stops just get missed.

Personally  ,I don’t want to travel overseas until things really settle down and airfares are reasonable.

I don’t want to have things canceled at the last moment or to be in a strange country and come down with a variant .

And I think the bulk of our overseas visitors would feel the same.
It’s going to take time.

7 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Personally  ,I don’t want to travel overseas until things really settle down and airfares are reasonable.

I don’t want to have things canceled at the last moment or to be in a strange country and come down with a variant .

It’s going to take time.

I absolutely agree with you!  Traveling to a country that does not have a high rate of their citizens vaccinated is asking for trouble.  That's why I won't go to Texas! 😁

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

I absolutely agree with you!  Traveling to a country that does not have a high rate of their citizens vaccinated is asking for trouble.  That's why I won't go to Texas! 😁

Probably the first country I will go to is the USA.

I would have to go through California or Texas.What would be better?

I prefer Texas as a stop over , LA is a festering sore. Last time we where there there was a curfew at 10:00PM.

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I prefer Texas as a stop over , LA is a festering sore. Last time we where there there was a curfew at 10:00PM.

You could hop to Hawaii and then Hawaii to Seattle or Vancouver (if Canada is accepting international visitors). No need for Texas (that puny little place). Of course if you went through LA you may see the Royal Malcontents 😁😎

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Hopefully,  you will be able to cruise out of either state..but I would stop in beautiful Hawaii first.  Actually, fly on to Aruba..where they are on their way to 60% fully vaccinated this week.  Good news for my family..by this Friday..all members of my immediate family will be vaccinated..grandkids (14, 13,13,and 12) included. I feel I can breath a little easier. (The two 13 year old twins had it last March and no symptoms other than one could not get enough salt on his french fries).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Hopefully,  you will be able to cruise out of either state..but I would stop in beautiful Hawaii first.  Actually, fly on to Aruba..where they are on their way to 60% fully vaccinated this week.  Good news for my family..by this Friday..all members of my immediate family will be vaccinated..grandkids (14, 13,13,and 12) included. I feel I can breath a little easier. (The two 13 year old twins had it last March and no symptoms other than one could not get enough salt on his french fries).

Good to hear that your family including the young ones are all fully vaccinated Brandee. Great to have the whole clan onboard.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

You could hop to Hawaii and then Hawaii to Seattle or Vancouver (if Canada is accepting international visitors). No need for Texas (that puny little place). Of course if you went through LA you may see the Royal Malcontents 😁😎

It’s to hot around Vancouver these days.

45 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

So what airline would do sydney-Honolulu-Aruba ?  United?

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I don't expect that you will be allowed to leave Stalag Australia before this time next year. I expect that this weather will pass by then 😉

Maybe we can work out the romantic exemption we where talking about?

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

It’s going to take time.

Which is why we need sensible domestic cruising to start here, so we can do return cruises to a port in our home state.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I don't expect that you will be allowed to leave Stalag Australia before this time next year. I expect that this weather will pass by then 😉

What heard on the radio 49 degrees,is that right?

Take it from experience Lyle,keep up those body fluids. BEER and lots of it.

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Which is why we need sensible domestic cruising to start here, so we can do return cruises to a port in our home state.

I hear you    but     the wheels are falling off the place .

I can’t see it happening.

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I hear you    but     the wheels are falling off the place .

I can’t see it happening.

Wheels ?? Ohhhh  going round in circles.... I get you......

But we don't have a spare,  and the driver hasn't a jack, brace or the idea to change it...

Don

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

What heard on the radio 49 degrees,is that right?

Take it from experience Lyle,keep up those body fluids. BEER and lots of it.

Sounds close for a place in the BC interior called Lytton 49.6 the highest record temp in Canada...ever.

We were at 39 yesterday. I choose water to "hydrate" I choose to enjoy beer now, my days of chugging a dozen are long over. I did enjoy a nice glass of Dr. L with Lynn this evening.

14 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

So what airline would do sydney-Honolulu-Aruba ?  United?

Flights would be a problem for this trip.  I know Qantas is non stop from Sydney to Honolulu and Delta is non stop from Honolulu to Aruba.  I'd just go to Honolulu take a short flight to Kauai and spend two weeks in paradise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Of course if you went through LA you may see the Royal Malcontents 😁😎

NO comment from me - I got offside with some on here when I mentioned those 2 before 🙂