Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

33 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

After the Ruby debacle, I was kinda hoping that any ambiguity over areas of responsibility for each level of government would be eliminated.

Did that actually happen?

These governments would proceed as they did prior and the only lesson they have learnt since then is to deny any responsibility and blame the someone else. It has been so effective for the last 2 years.

What Annastasia is saying is a logical start - everyone vaccinated; passengers from one state only; and start with short cruises within the one state. At least this would be a start.

It could be viable for P&O. They had ships here that did either Aust coastal or short (7 to 9 day) cruises to nearby Pacific islands. They could be interested in having one ship here that could do coastal cruises confined to one state only. Forget the islands for a while.

• Like 2

I thought of started a new thread for this - but does anyone reckon it's worth gambling on one of the RC domestic cruises to run Jan-Mar next year?

I doubt they'll run, but it's just for something to look forward to that isn't over a year away!

Was considering either one of the South Coast short cruises ex-Sydney on Ovation, or the Qld cruise in March ex-Brisbane.

Even if they run, our concern is that much of the entertainment, dining (ie. Wonderland), may be compromised by Covid restrictions & lack of staff.  

7 minutes ago, adelaidefc said:

I thought of started a new thread for this - but does anyone reckon it's worth gambling on one of the RC domestic cruises to run Jan-Mar next year?

I doubt they'll run, but it's just for something to look forward to that isn't over a year away!

Was considering either one of the South Coast short cruises ex-Sydney on Ovation, or the Qld cruise in March ex-Brisbane.

Even if they run, our concern is that much of the entertainment, dining (ie. Wonderland), may be compromised by Covid restrictions & lack of staff.  

As it is a gamble, as you note, are you prepared to lose your bet? If so, go ahead.

6 minutes ago, adelaidefc said:

I doubt there will be any cruises out of Sydney then. Brisbane maybe but I'm not sure Anna would allow a ship the size of Ovation.

15 minutes ago, adelaidefc said:

I think it’s worth a punt ,the deposits are refundable even if you cancel.

The prices are pretty scary but we are booked on a 4 nighter to Eden and I believe it may then circular lord Howe.

I have book the Christmas cruise on Ovation. I think that NSW will be the first state to recommence 

international travel and also restart the cruise industry, on local cruises only.

From what Royal has released on the new itinerary it concentrations on NSW destinations / cruises to nowhere. I do know there are a few interstate cruises, however these will only happen if the state borders are open, otherwise they will have lots of sea days.

As the ship is here for only 3 months, they will not really need a lot of crew changeovers (if any maybe only one for those on the 10-12 weeks contracts).

I think the other states would be watching to see how NSW goes with the introduction of cruising.

If QLD does keep its borders closed, I don't think Royal will send the Ovation to QLD and the QLD coastal cruise will not happen.

Edited by woodscruise

19 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I think it’s worth a punt ,the deposits are refundable even if you cancel.

The prices are pretty scary but we are booked on a 4 nighter to Eden and I believe it may then circular lord Howe.

Thanks for the replies so quickly! I think that @OzKiwiJJ is right that Qld is unlikely to allow Ovation size ships, so the local NSW ones may be the best bet. And if the onboard experience is compromised by restrictions, at least it's less that we've spent on it!

We did have a Qld cruise booked for November that was cancelled, and getting the full cash refund (including a drinks package and deposit) was surprisingly painless. So that makes it feel less of a gamble. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

I have book the Christmas cruise on Ovation. I think that NSW will be the first state to recommence 

international travel and also restart the cruise industry, on local cruises only.

From what Royal has released on the new itinerary it concentrations on NSW destinations / cruises to nowhere. 

As the ship is here for only 3 months, they will not really need a lot of crew changeovers (if any maybe only one for those on the 10-12 weeks contracts).

I think the other states would be watching to see how NSW goes with the introduction of cruising.

If QLD does keep its borders closed, I don't think Royal will send the Ovation to QLD and the QLD coastal cruise will not happen.

Apparently national cabinet is meeting today.Hopefully we may get some feedback.

How about Spectrum replacing Quantum in Singapore.

Quantum in Brisbane and ovation in Sydney for Christmas?

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

Apparently national cabinet is meeting today.Hopefully we may get some feedback.

How about Spectrum replacing Quantum in Singapore.

Quantum in Brisbane and ovation in Sydney for Christmas?

National Cabinet is not meeting today due to the PM still in the US. Next meeting is 1 Oct.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Oh, Barnaby in the chair would make for an interesting meeting, perhaps putting 'co-operation' between the national cabinet members back several years.

From what I've heard there isn't much co-operation anyway. They all go "yeah, yeah" then go their own ways. 🙄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruisegroover said:

National Cabinet is not meeting today due to the PM still in the US. Next meeting is 1 Oct.

Would Queensland have to get permission off the Federal Government to start these small cruises within their state's waters?

7 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I believe it’s a federal jurisdiction, so yes.
I think their more interested in submarines at the moment.

Thanks Chiliburn,

So if Annastasia get the brush off on the 1st of October from Scomo "we'll discuss that when we get to 80% fully vaccinated," then I don't think that cruising will start until after the federal election.

I'm looking foward to what she has to say about the issue after the next cabinet meeting.

• Haha 1