Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

I just came across this thought bubble from the QLD Premier. How small is she suggesting? 

"Ms Palaszczuk said she wants to start trialling small cruises for fully vaccinated Queenslanders to restart the industry.

"I honestly think that's a great option for Queenslanders who are fully vaccinated to actually trial some smaller cruises," Ms Palaszczuk said from the new Brisbane International Cruise Ship Terminal in Pinkenba.

She said she will propose the idea at National Cabinet tomorrow." Source

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Queensland is going to ask the fed to start after the new year.

Only for fully vaccinated Queenslanders with plenty of money to go on the small ships and only doing Qld coastal. Not much good for any of us down here Chilli. 

2 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I just came across this thought bubble from the QLD Premier. How small is she suggesting? 

"Ms Palaszczuk said she wants to start trialling small cruises for fully vaccinated Queenslanders to restart the industry.

"I honestly think that's a great option for Queenslanders who are fully vaccinated to actually trial some smaller cruises," Ms Palaszczuk said from the new Brisbane International Cruise Ship Terminal in Pinkenba.

At least that is a start, even if it is trialling small (does she mean short?) cruises for fully vaccinated people. The mention of 'Queenslanders' indicates that she means the cruise would be restricted to Queenslanders.

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

At least that is a start, even if it is trialling small (does she mean short?) cruises for fully vaccinated people. The mention of 'Queenslanders' indicates that she means the cruise would be restricted to Queenslanders.

As I said, Queenslanders only.  Racial predjudice, lol.  I think she meant to say 'small cruise ships, not 'small cruises.' 

Edited by NSWP

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Only for fully vaccinated Queenslanders with plenty of money to go on the small ships and only doing Qld coastal. Not much good for any of us down here Chilli. 

At least someone is talking about it uncle Les.

Wait for Gladys to up stage her.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

At least someone is talking about it uncle Les.

Wait for Gladys to up stage her.

But NSW Treasurer has already said something about cruises going when we are open.   Hopefully it is real and not just talk.

• Thanks 1

This article appeared in Karry On today.

Queensland’s premier won’t commit to a date for people in the state to be able to travel overseas again but does want cruises to restart next year.

Annastacia Palaszczuk says it’s not up to her when Queenslanders will be allowed to go overseas, unlike other states like NSW which wants to restart international travel once double dose vaccination coverage hits 80 per cent.

Currently, Queensland has fully vaccinated 42.78 per cent of eligible residents and 61.53 per cent have had one dose of a vaccine.

Ms Palaszczuk says nothing has been agreed by the national cabinet on international travel, but when it does restart it won’t be as free and easy as it was before the pandemic.

“I look forward to the day when we can freely travel across the world again, I mean everyone’s talking about that. Ok, but it is not the way we used to travel, I’ve done it, I’ve worn the P95 masks, I’ve done the hotel quarantine,” she told reporters on Thursday.

“I’ve looked at how they’ve managed it, they were in a state of emergency in Tokyo, it is not the world we used to know. 

“So the federal government needs to identify where Australians and Queenslanders can travel in the bubbles of the countries that they put together, and that is a federal government issue to deal with.”

In the meantime, Ms Palaszczuk will put forward a proposal to restart smaller cruises with fully vaccinated passengers within Queensland next year.

“That’s a great option for Queenslanders who are fully vaccinated to actually trial some smaller cruises, up and down the Queensland coast,” she said. 

“We’re a few months off that, of course, but you know we need to start the planning and I know how much Queenslanders love their cruises.”

Queensland’s announcement comes off the back of PM Scott Morrison today firming up the federal government’s commitment to restarting international travel once 80 per cent of people aged 16 and above receive two jabs.

Current projections suggest the national 80 per cent double-dose coverage could be achieved well before the end of the year with the latest forecast suggesting this could happen by mid-November.

“That’s certainly what we intend to facilitate – for vaccinated people to travel,” he told reporters in Washington DC on Thursday.

The plan would start with allowing people to leave the country more freely before establishing more travel bubbles like the paused New Zealand arrangement.

Australia is in discussions with Singapore, Japan, South Korea, the United States, United Kingdom and the Pacific nations.

Source Karry On (travel industry) 23Sep21

• Like 1

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

One way to get QLD vaccination rates up . LOL

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Small cruise could mean many things,

cruises that are short like 3 days.

smaller ships max 1000 pax,

Larger ships but only half full or even less,

or

Cruisers that are short, under 5 foot tall.

Cant see the major cruise lines sending their ships down under to do these type of cruises.

6 minutes ago, stki said:

Cant see the major cruise lines sending their ships down under to do these type of cruises.

Most would, but definitely P&O and Carnival once the okay was given - for the first type of cruise,

Not sure what lines may fit into the second type, Larger than 100 but less than 1000?

Not sure any would do the other two types.

18 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Most would, but definitely P&O and Carnival once the okay was given - for the first type of cruise,

Not sure what lines may fit into the second type, Larger than 100 but less than 1000?

Not sure any would do the other two types.

The smaller ships are mostly the luxury lines so very expensive to cruise on.🙁

At least she is talking about having ships come to her shiny new terminal.  I understand she was at the Terminal opening up a new vaccination hub and brought up the issue of cruise ships.  Cruise ships have been a dirty word for so long now any news is good news.

This was part of what was reported in the Brisbane Times I believe today. 

Queensland’s Premier has held a press conference in the virtually unused Brisbane International Cruise Terminal to announce that the state’s shut-down cruising industry could be brought back to life.

Annastacia Palaszczuk announced on Thursday the terminal, in Pinkenba near the airport, would host a new vaccination centre, which would open seven days a week and cater particularly to port, airline and other employees of industries in the area, although it would also be open to the public.

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

even if it is trialling small (does she mean short?) cruises for fully vaccinated people

Makes you wonder 🤔 hopefully shortish cruises as “small cruises - (ships) ” will be overwhelmed with bookings 😉

Edited by Porky55

1 hour ago, Cruisers47 said:

Hi

sounds good,,,but who makes the final decision…,Scomo…and there is an election coming up.

not yet cruisers!!!

eileen

Surely, seeing they (Premiers) make so many other important decisions; one like restarting cruises in ‘their’ state is most certainly possible? 🤔

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Surely, seeing they (Premiers) make so many other important decisions; one like restarting cruises in ‘their’ state is most certainly possible? 🤔

If that's the case we won't see any cruising out of Sydney for another couple of years!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If that's the case we won't see any cruising out of Sydney for another couple of years!

I seriously doubt that the premiers can invite foreign ships to enter Australian waters on their own cognisance. That's why we have a Border Force.

Like quarantine of overseas arrivals, foreign shipping is meant to be a Federal responsibility.

Australian Constitution Section 98:

"The power of the Parliament to make laws with respect to trade and commerce extends to navigation and shipping, and to railways the property of any State."

However, like quarantine, I expect the Feds to pass the buck on this one if they can.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 1

It may well be that when the Feds allow international travellers into Australia, they may allow the ships back as well. It may well then be up to state govs to allow them into their respective  ports and who can get on them and what standards and rules need to be employed in those ports.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It may well be that when the Feds allow international travellers into Australia, they may allow the ships back as well. It may well then be up to state govs to allow them into their respective  ports and who can get on them and what standards and rules need to be employed in those ports.

After the Ruby debacle, I was kinda hoping that any ambiguity over areas of responsibility for each level of government would be eliminated.

Did that actually happen?

Edited by SinbadThePorter