P&O suspends all cruises until April 11

Tilly20

My theory is Cunard and P&O are dragging their feet and only cancelling until April 11th cruises is they are well aware that they will be cancelling cruises after that date but are hoping that before they do people will cancel their cruises and have a FCC so they do not have to give full cash refund and get guaranteed future bookings.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

My theory is Cunard and P&O are dragging their feet and only cancelling until April 11th cruises is they are well aware that they will be cancelling cruises after that date but are hoping that before they do people will cancel their cruises and have a FCC so they do not have to give full cash refund and get guaranteed future bookings.

Makes sense, but I'm sitting tight... 

Andy 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Javert1969 said:

Our cruise agent is telling us that if we convert our FCC into a future booking, it's protected by ABTA.  If we just leave it as a credit, it's not.  I can't be 100% sure that's correct, but that's what she told us on the phone today.

This makes sense as a booking is ABTA protected whereas a FCC is like a high street gift card and an unsecured creditor in an administration.

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Me also we have a cruise booked on QM2 on May 6th roundtrip TA and a FCC is no good to us because we already have a cruise with Cunard for October and one next year and 2 with P&O so dont want to book anymore cruises with a FCC.

• Like 1

I have had my cruise cancelled for April and now looking at having my cruise cancelled on Iona in May.

Yes I have looked forward to both but these can be rebooked and taken again.

I only have the upmost regards for P&O at this most difficult time not just for them but many more in the travel sector.

Yes it has disrupted my travel plans but my thoughts are with everyone associated like the cruise parking, the porters, the ground staff ,the crew  and everyone else that makes my cruise enjoyable.

I am not the one who will be out of pocket it's these poor guys wondering where their next pay check is coming from.

I will continue to support P&O and cannot wait to resume cruising with them .

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, janieb1962 said:

So what would you prefer them to have done ? How can they sound more sincere? 

Look no further to the 'great pumpkin' in America and what happens when he gets in front of a camera and starts talking....i'm not making a direct correlation between Ludlow and his highness but sometimes a written statement with well thought out text is better than a perceived half-hearted visual of someone reading a canned statement from a teleprompter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

And I'm sitting tight right along with you. My cruise isn't until November 6th but I was offered a free cruise transfer over a week ago. I thought it was a bit suspect at the time. They definitely know something we don't know. 

Avril 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

My theory is it gives them a chance to spread the refunds rather than give a load of dosh back in one go. 

Andy 

You may well be right Andy - but that certainly flies in the face of Mr Ludlow's assertion that all P&O want to do is look after their passengers...  It seems really clear now that things will not be remotely 'normal' for at least two to three months - and likely much longer.

I’m not anticipating cruising till 2022

I hope I’m wrong.  I have bookings for this year and 2021 but ...

As I said - was it only? - two weeks ago, it feels like holidays will be pretty low on our list of concerns for the foreseeable...

18 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I’m not anticipating cruising till 2022

I hope I’m wrong.  I have bookings for this year and 2021 but ...

As I said - was it only? - two weeks ago, it feels like holidays will be pretty low on our list of concerns for the foreseeable...

Unfortunately I agree with you on that 😔

As has been said, i think the 30 day suspension is just the tip of the iceberg as it gives all companies some time to slowly sift through their operations and scale down future bookings, and in some cases perhaps even wait for people to cancel and opt for the FCC option.

Princess has gone for 60 days, but i think that's due in large part to the fact that 2 of their ships were directly affected with outbreaks onboard, whereas all the others (P&O included) are following the guidance offered from CLIA, which in truth is just a lobbying firm for the industry so they've got a vested interest in all things industry related.

As none of us have a crystal ball, all we can do is speculate as to when the worst of this whole mess will be behind us, but i think the ripple effect will last a lot longer than many want to admit.  Needless to say, i think this is a really bad time as well to be building ships let it be in Germany or worse, Italy...

It is time P&O woke up and cancelled more than into April. They are as well aware as are the rest of us that this situation is going to continue well into the summer and cruises will have to be cancelled  either now or later.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

It is time P&O woke up and cancelled more than into April. They are as well aware as are the rest of us that this situation is going to continue well into the summer and cruises will have to be cancelled  either now or later.

I agree completely and also Cunard they are also dragging their feet in the hope that people will book new cruises with FCC rather than have a full cash refund.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, majortom10 said:

According to P&O on the phone this morning, once a cancellation is announced, it must be processed within two weeks whether to FCC or cash.

Cancellations are processed manually and P&O only have limited resources to do so hence focusing on cruises to April 11.

• Like 3

Government has just issued guidance for UK nationals to avoid all non-essential foreign travel, initially got 30 days.

That takes us to 16 April so will de facto force an extension beyond the P&O announced date if 11 April. 

Edited by molecrochip
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Government has just issued guidance for UK nationals to avoid all non-essential foreign travel, initially got 30 days.

That takes us to 16 April so will de facto force an extension beyond the P&O announced date if 11 April. 

Indeed.  I wonder whether PandO's delay was to wait for the government to make such an announcement, as they may then be able to either claim of their own insurers or get compo from the Govt.

On another thread I have expressed my conspiracy theory that PandO (and maybe Cunard) might have their ships requisitioned by the Govt, maybe for use as hospital overflow.  And that PandOs delay is in connection with compo from the Govt in the event of this happening.  Just a theory.

Reading the background information on the governments change yesterday from a mitigation strategy to a suppression strategy leads me to conclude that this problem could still be with us next summer 2021!. The suppression strategy, what China and South Korea did, does not have an exit, relax the restrictions and the virus comes back. basically we are waiting for a cure or vaccine. Other strategies have even more deaths and chaos.

So possibly no cruises for a year or more. Difficult to see how the industry will survive in such circumstances. What about Cruise Critic?

22 minutes ago, davecttr said:

So possibly no cruises for a year or more. Difficult to see how the industry will survive in such circumstances. What about Cruise Critic?

Don't worry Dave, I have it covered... 

See you on my new forum 'Caravan Critic'... 😊

Andy 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

We'll find other things to discuss on here. Not everything's been about cruises. It would be interesting to discuss past cruises. Weird or hilarious things that have  happened on them. A woman can always find something intelligent to talk about😆😉

Avril 

• Like 1

Just a question obviously p&o are owned by carnival.

But are Carnivals different lines ring fenced as separate companies, so that if god forbid this goes on for months and months one of them could go under without affecting the other brands 

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

We'll find other things to discuss on here. Not everything's been about cruises. It would be interesting to discuss past cruises. Weird or hilarious things that have  happened on them. A woman can always find something intelligent to talk about😆😉

Avril 

Growing vegetables for the novice? I am just about to buy a load of veggie seeds, compost etc to fill my whole patio garden with lovely stuff to eat, if no one nicks it!

Or semaphore lessons so we can talk to the neigbours from a safe distance. Ooops, Wuthering Heights by Semaphore

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 1

Yes and No. Brands may be separate to a degree but lots of shared services in common companies. Also one going under wont necessarily solve the problem.

Laying up ships reduces staff costs, fuel costs, stock and food supply costs. Cruise lines wont be paying the cost prices for tours and port fees and taxes will likely be waived. What cannot be reduced is the payments being paid for new ships.

You are more likely to see older ships sold off and new build ships (not yet commenced) delayed.   A new ship sold on will not generate any funds, all you do is cut off the payment (and likely that you owe more than you get anyhow). An old ship that is already paid off will generate funds. Its these old ships that also have higher maintenance costs.

For example, I would not be surprised to see Iona enter service asap but would question whether Arcadia, Aurora and Oceana have a future. This maintains the majority of the capacity whilst reducing cost.A bit like buying a car.

As for Gala 2, with steel cutting not even started, I wonder whether this might move out from 2022 to 2023 or 2024.