P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

12 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Time to relax, my niece has just collected her daughter with the homework project completed and ready to hand in on Friday.  My niece asked if she could take a bottle of wine because her friend is coming round tonight and we always buy better wine than she and her friend can afford so David let her have a bottle of our favourite wine so helping out her child has cost us over £20.

I would've given her my finest Blue Nun.She wouldn't ask again.

• Haha 8

12 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Now I worked out how to stream Amazon music through the car entertainment system, I can play music from their back catalogue whilst driving, today was a Steeleye Span day, I remember seeing them in concert about 3 times in the 1970s, I have just found out they are on locally Monday next week, still tickets left. The question is do I go and seem them or not? Seeing bands that from the 70s and 80s this century has often left me disappointed with few exceptions. The exceptions were Status Quo, Simply Red and Bryan Adams. 

I saw Steeleye Span along with Jethro Tull at Liverpool University way back when. I was so disappointed that JT didn't do 'Living in the Past' but do remember being impressed with Steeleye Span and love 'All Around my Hat', so thanks for that.

Status Quo were the support act to Rod Stewart when I saw him in the 80s and they were just okay. 

My stand-out live performances have been any Bruce Springsteen gig (I'm a big fan) and also Paul Simon with Ladysmith Black Mambazo during his 80s 'Graceland' tour.  It was magical.

• Like 2

The concerts that got away. I was in Spain when Meatloaf was at Doncaster.

Same when Def Leppard did Sheffield stadium but on each occasion the mates 

reassured me that I had missed a great concert :classic_mellow:

I did manage to see def  at the arena a few years later .

The groups I never got to tick off my "to do" list would have been  Fleetwood mac and 

the Eagles ,yet again a couple of my mates who spent time in the USA kindly pointed 

out to me how good they were .:classic_unsure:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, kalos said:

The groups I never got to tick off my "to do" list would have been  Fleetwood mac and 

the Eagles ,yet again a couple of my mates who spent time in the USA kindly pointed 

We saw FM at Wembley a few years ago brilliant.My OH got tickets for Prince at the O2 years ago,I didn't fancy it so she took her brother.I was gutted,he was fantastic apparently.As good as they are Quo sound samey samey every song they do, JMPO,lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Best ever for me was The Boss at Roundhay park in Leeds, still got the T-shirt, and it still fits.

Back around 1985 ? I was there as well. Agree - best performance ever.  

And we could walk to the concert and back, which was a bonus !  

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I was there too 👍.  Just brilliant!

I wasn’t at Roundhay park but have seen him several times elsewhere. 3+ hours of brilliant music each time. His tour with the Seeger Sessions band, an ensemble he just happened to come across at a party, was superb with him basically directing, arranging, managing and playing his own songs interspersed with Pete Seeger songs etc which demonstrated his brilliance. He would also be perfect as an acoustic performer in the Limelight club. 😊

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, brian1 said:

We saw FM at Wembley a few years ago brilliant.My OH got tickets for Prince at the O2 years ago,I didn't fancy it so she took her brother.I was gutted,he was fantastic apparently.As good as they are Quo sound samey samey every song they do, JMPO,lol.

Dyslexic moment,should read JMHO.

42 minutes ago, lincslady said:

My gig memories are a bit odd - Mick Mulligan with George Melly in my youth, and (because a friend loved them)  Dr. Hook in the eighties.   Not exactly sticking to a genre there.

I was 16 in 1972 when Dr Hook's hit Sylvia's Mother was in the charts.

We saw Meatloaf at Whitley bay stadium.

Westlife twice at the Newcastle Metro Arena.

I saw Wishbone Ash and Led Zeppelin at the Mecca Sunderland.

We saw the Drifters in Tenerife.

15°C and sunny here this morning.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kalos said:

The one that got away would be Springsteen at Leeds Arena when he asked them to open it ahead of schedule so that him and the E Street Band would be the first to perform there. I spent all morning on the phone when tickets were released to no avail, yet at the same time they were on offer via companies associated with Ticketmaster at 4 or more times the ticket price. I refused to pay but know folks who did and never regretted it so maybe I should have bitten the bullet.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Me too, quite near the front as well. Best concert ever.

I think many of us are reliving our good old 'Glory Days' in this thread 😄 - for uninitiated here's the chorus:

Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The sun is shining & I’ve got sheets on the line! It’s so noisy here with the trim phone bird, reversing bird, alarm & of course the bed spring one! 🤣 Plus the peacocks down the road. New house going up over the road & next door are finally having their roof done which seems to be taking ages, the builder seem to take more f-g  breaks than roof tiles. They have to access the back through our side & it’s actually getting annoying now, especially as someone just bought the dog back as she sneaked out the front & of course the gate was open! 😡 just had a moments magazine arrive, not had one of those for ages. I’ll put the coffee on then. 😄

The only concerts I’ve been to were. Neil Diamond twice ( at age 18 & 20!) at Wembley. Level 42 at Ryde Arena on the scatting rink 🤣 and Ronnan Keeting in the garden of Osbourne House which was great but it was a picnic concert, it absolutely p..d down & my friend managed to loose the tickets, but luckily we got in with the receipt 😱 Great fun. Oh I forgot Gareth Gates on Sapphire Princess 2019 Fjords, actually he was pretty good & even hubby liked him after dissing him forever. 

58 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Kirsty had it right! Much lamented………😥

We all know that it's Christmas when the radio starts to play her singing Fairytale of New Year with the Pogues. Such a tragic accident.

• Like 2