P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We only popped in for a coffee and hot chocolate during the day and it was empty.

There is a Diamond concierge certain times of the day.

They have stopped the unlimited drinks during happy hour and imo the free drinks at any bar at any time of day is better than being restricted to a few hours during happy hour at night.

We never went into the Diamond club at night.

The ship was almost full and unlike P&O where several decks of midship balcony cabins were quarantine cabins I was told the quarantine cabins were on deck 3 on Anthem of the seas.

Graham.

That's very interesting about the quarantine on deck 3 because that's what has been happening on Celebrity Silhouette causing much concern. The fear is that people will just keep quiet about their Covid symptoms rather than be put in a cabin without access to fresh air. Bad decision and I hope it's one they change.

We only had access to the Diamond lounge because of our elite status and thought it seemed small and would possibly be difficult to use when the ship was sailing at capacity, but as they have gone down the '5 drinks at any bar route' (same as Celebrity I believe, but almost everyone has a drinks package anyhow) I can see that would help.

We got a great bargain on Anthem last year for our round the UK cruise, but I doubt I would sail on her again, despite having a really good time. The low passenger numbers made it okay, but we found the lack of bright spaces to sit and read, or quiet places, were a turn-off.  But maybe we just didn't find them! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrsgoggins said:

That's very interesting about the quarantine on deck 3 because that's what has been happening on Celebrity Silhouette causing much concern. The fear is that people will just keep quiet about their Covid symptoms rather than be put in a cabin without access to fresh air. Bad decision and I hope it's one they change.

We only had access to the Diamond lounge because of our elite status and thought it seemed small and would possibly be difficult to use when the ship was sailing at capacity, but as they have gone down the '5 drinks at any bar route' (same as Celebrity I believe, but almost everyone has a drinks package anyhow) I can see that would help.

We got a great bargain on Anthem last year for our round the UK cruise, but I doubt I would sail on her again, despite having a really good time. The low passenger numbers made it okay, but we found the lack of bright spaces to sit and read, or quiet places, were a turn-off.  But maybe we just didn't find them! 

It wasn't a big Diamond Lounge for the size of the ship and Oasis class have a similar size lounge for more passengers and overflowing during happy hour was a problem pre covid.

Personally we preferred Iona to Anthem because there was a lot of seats outside where you could sit and read and the Quays for lunch time was brilliant.

North Star,Dodgems and Wonderland are wonderful to experience once.

Graham.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sorry Graham  - my idea of hell !

Sorry Graham, I have to agree with Wowzz. I think it is probably good for people cruising with children but not for us. I have seen posts describing P& O as like Butlins ( not that I agree) but from the view of the decks, that sprung to mind. I am already wondering whether Iona will be too big for us, but we are giving it a go next February.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jennizor said:

Sorry Graham, I have to agree with Wowzz. I think it is probably good for people cruising with children but not for us. I have seen posts describing P& O as like Butlins ( not that I agree) but from the view of the decks, that sprung to mind. I am already wondering whether Iona will be too big for us, but we are giving it a go next February.

That’s exactly the reason I have chosen Anthem next year with the grandchildren, plenty for them to do.

We have sailed on Harmony transatlantic with no kids and we loved it. You could always find a quiet space. We sat one night in Central Park area and there was no one else around at all, goodness knows where they all were because the ship was full

Michelle

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

That’s exactly the reason I have chosen Anthem next year with the grandchildren, plenty for them to do.

We have sailed on Harmony transatlantic with no kids and we loved it. You could always find a quiet space. We sat one night in Central Park area and there was no one else around at all, goodness knows where they all were because the ship was full

Michelle

Have sailed RCI Oasis and Navigator of the seas. Thoroughly enjoyed both experiences. Would jump back onboard in heartbeat, as I would with Princess, NCL, P&O, Celebrity....love mixing up the different cruise lines. None are 'perfect', but each have something that makes them very special.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, brian1 said:

One of those North Star pods would have been interesting on Star Princess when we rounded Cape Horn on her.

Just rent a telescopic cherry picker for the day :classic_smile:

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Mrs YP was complaining earlier that I hadn't spoken to her for 2 days, I just pointed out that I didn't like to interupt.

Ooh you are awful - but I like you!   (Remember him?)

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Mrs YP was complaining earlier that I hadn't spoken to her for 2 days, I just pointed out that I didn't like to interupt.

My wife told me I need to get in touch with my feminine side. So I stopped talking to her

for 3 days and whenever she asked me what was wrong I said "nothing it doesn't matter"

and then I went out and crashed the car :classic_wacko:

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, Jennizor said:

We are on Anthem in September for the first time. It may be the last, or the first of many. We can't compare any ship to Butlins as we have never had the pleasure of staying there. I wonder if many folk doing that comparison have ever been to Butlins.If Iona is like Butlins, we may give Butlins a try.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, lincslady said:

kalos- see above.  It is a good job we ladies have a sense of humour.

"Settle down now ladies" :classic_biggrin:  (another one of my comedy  favorites )

yes I remember Mandy     Mr D Emery  :classic_love:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We are on Anthem in September for the first time. It may be the last, or the first of many. We can't compare any ship to Butlins as we have never had the pleasure of staying there. I wonder if many folk doing that comparison have ever been to Butlins.If Iona is like Butlins, we may give Butlins a try.

I went to Butlins several times a long, long time ago. I can say without fear of contradiction that no P&O ship was ever (even at its very worst) anything like Butlins.

Butlins / Pontins was great in its era and being honest we enjoyed aspects of it.

You can however in no way compare the accommodation, the food, the service or the amenities to a cruise ship. Some of the entertainment was actually very good as these holiday camps had “big names” of their day. They also used to have sports personalities doing masterclasses.

I would give Butlins a miss now though Zapp if I were you. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

I probably should have read up on it a bit more !

I knew horses were involved, but I thought there might be some other content.

There was lots of military music, Scottish Dancers, Irish Dancers, Gregory Porter and Katherine Jenkins.

Just got back from Sevenoaks after spending Sunday with our daughter and family.She picked us up yesterday and dropped us off at the station today.4.40 each to zone 6 and London freedom pass from there.Who needs a car,lol.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Maybe the people who say P&O is like Butlins are the same ones who say the food in the mdr is like school dinners...🤔

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Maybe the people who say P&O is like Butlins are the same ones who say the food in the mdr is like school dinners...🤔

Snake and diddly pudding with pink custard. Nothing exotic like that in the MDR.🤣

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have taken the children on many Butlin's holidays at Filey in the late 60's early 70's, and I can definitely state that P&O cruise ships are in no way like like Butlin's. 

Avril

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I will be glad when I get on a cruise ship .No matter which cruise company or ship I choose .

To some people I have sailed on a few Butlins, Rust buckets, blocks of flats.

The full English breakfast and all the other options are said to be repetitive ?? :classic_wacko:

But I don't mind roughing it for a couple of weeks with School dinners :classic_unsure:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I know there was a previous discussion on this but my school dinners were braw.

There was a head cook who did what she wanted to do, not what the “school board”  mandated. So we got hearty soups, stew, stovies, potted hough , fish in milk, herring in oatmeal etc and for dessert amazing rhubarb crumble, caramel cake, baked apples and syrup sponge.

We ran about a lot in the cold to burn the excess calories!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1