P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I didn't watch it, but was pleased that the UK entry was apparently the real winner, for a change - though I am sure he didn't mind coming second to the Ukrainians last night.  Saw bits on the news, and it is all too over the top for me - watched an oldish film of Far from the  Madding Crowd instead.  Something of a contrast!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, kalos said:

Morning all ,hope your all feeling fine after a night of Eurovision and congrats to Ukraine 

who we all knew would win a good month back. To be fair they weren't too bad and 

their front man had gone all out with the wardrobe dept . Not really sure if that hat was 

his Nanas or he was doing an impression ,whilst trying to sing ,of Nora Batty :classic_unsure:

The group that (almost) impressed me was the one with the woman sat washing her 

hands . I was just saying to Mrs K how I thought they would do well on the P&O ships!

No not in the theatre but possibly at the entrance to the buffet .Could work well :classic_smile:

The Eurovision is a show that just keeps on giving (I'm not sure what ) I mean where 

else could you get to see a woman who decorates her room in bog roll ? 

Then proceeds to rip it back down .Maybe she didn't like the colour ! :classic_wacko: At least she 

gave us a bit of a song to go with it .

Anyway as the song goes "Back to life, back to reality"  I hope you all have a good day .

Take care everyone :classic_love::classic_smile:

I watched last night’s performances for the first time in many years and what impressed me was the staging of the different songs and the short time to get the stage set between them. The ‘bog roll decorated’ room was pretty effective for the song and must have taken a lot of designing and setting up, not to mention her remembering the correct order and locations of the bits she pulled off (easier than stripping proper wallpaper). Most songs (including ours) were mediocre at best but at least it was a slick production with worthy winners. Anybody spotted an online site selling silly pink hats or wolf heads yet?

• Like 2

Hadn’t watched Eurovision for a good few years but did catch a few bits of last night’s - and wow, hasn’t it changed!

Hugely better than it used to be, and the stage settings and theatricals were incredible.  Favourite here was the completely nutty Norway entry, quite a change from the old ‘nul points’ and a good reflection of Norway today maybe. A hugely rich country that can afford and enjoy a sense of fun. They sensibly kept and invested their oil revenues!

Our daughter had a Eurovision buffet with the children and friends - couldn’t imagine doing that a few years ago!

• Like 4

Morning everyone, how are you all?

I watched bits of it last night, and the voting. Makes a change for us not to be at the bottom of the ratings.

Nice sunny day down here after a night of rain, at pleasant 15oC and expected to get warmer😄

although they are forecasting showers later😒

Waiting for Tesco to deliver my shopping, but apart from that nothing planned.

Enjoy your day.

Pam 

• Like 2

Surprised this morning, I went onto Princess to book our dining times for our July cruise (we have to stick to times to fit in within hubby's medication times) and found that we could book our boarding time too, last time it wasn't available until 3 weeks before we went.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Morning everyone, how are you all?

I watched bits of it last night, and the voting. Makes a change for us not to be at the bottom of the ratings.

Nice sunny day down here after a night of rain, at pleasant 15oC and expected to get warmer😄

although they are forecasting showers later😒

Waiting for Tesco to deliver my shopping, but apart from that nothing planned.

Enjoy your day.

Pam 

It's a bit grey and damp this morning, the temperature gauge in the car showed 12°C when I  went out to drop off a birthday card and present for my friend.

We haven’t watched Eurovison for years but I saw on the news this morning that we came 2nd behind Ukraine.

I am now waiting for my god-daughter to call round to drop off some baby food for our food bank now that her baby is eating the same foods as she and her husband eat if she blends it.

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Hugely better than it used to be, and the stage settings and theatricals were incredible.  Favourite here was the completely nutty Norway entry, quite a change from the old ‘nul points’ and a good reflection of Norway today maybe. A hugely rich country that can afford and enjoy a sense of fun. They sensibly kept and invested their oil revenues!

I watched until 11 pm but then tiredness set in, but I may go back to the recording today because I believe Mika was good and I loved his Grace Kelly song - can't remember the name of it.

I was a child (but still remember watching with my mum) when Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson won in 1959 with 'Sing Little Birdie' - what a different show now 😁

I also enjoyed the Norway crackers song about giving a wolf a banana Harry.  It gave us a good laugh.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 5:04 PM, Jennizor said:

I have been into Manchester today to meet up with three friends from work. Three of us retired 12 years ago and our much younger friend who still has 2 years to go. We hadn’t met up since November 2019, previously we met up every three months. It was great to see them all and the other two retired ladies looked great. Poor Ronda looked really tired and deflated. She was having to reassure her staff (the best she could) about the 91,000 civil service posts that are to be cut and it was really upsetting her.

We had a lovely lunch in Cichetti in House of Fraser and three hours of catch up, not nearly long enough though, so planning on meeting up again August. 

Came home and had an hour in the garden and now a glass of wine.

Great day, but tomorrow need to start our packing for Turkey on Thursday.

That sounds like a really nice day to me, meeting up with old work colleague’s. 

I still meet up with old ex Civil Service friends occasionally from 20 years ago. Every time we meet it’s as though we saw each other yesterday. 

Count down to your hols can begin now

Michelle 

• Like 3

Hello everyone, hope you are ok today.

It’s a lovely day here again today but a bit breezy. 
Hubby has gone to play walking football so I have a few peaceful hours to do what I want.

My mum is coming for tea tonight now I am over the dreaded you know what.

Hope you all have a nice day 

Michelle

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I watched until 11 pm but then tiredness set in, but I may go back to the recording today because I believe Mika was good and I loved his Grace Kelly song - can't remember the name of it.

I was a child (but still remember watching with my mum) when Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson won in 1959 with 'Sing Little Birdie' - what a different show now 😁

I also enjoyed the Norway crackers song about giving a wolf a banana Harry.  It gave us a good laugh.

Me too - 11pm.  My daughter said Mika was good too.  You and I might be around the same sort of age group, because I can remember that Sing Little Birdie song too.  And indeed 'Non ho l'età (per amarti)' from Gigliola Cinquetti which won in 1964.  Great song, but she's only slightly older than I, and in 1964 I was very taken with her, in a teenage sort of way.  She sang it again last night - to a lot of applause.

After what I saw last night, I think we'll start watching it again - our daughter's already planning an even bigger event for next year because they all enjoyed it so much last night - scorecards and everything!

Some things have got worse over the years - Eurovision seems to have got infinitely better.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Favourite here was the completely nutty Norway entry, quite a change from the old ‘nul points’ and a good reflection of Norway today maybe. A hugely rich country that can afford and enjoy a sense of fun. They sensibly kept and invested their oil revenues!

Much easier to do when you only have a population of just over 5 million, as opposed to almost 70 million.

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Hello everyone, hope you are ok today.

It’s a lovely day here again today but a bit breezy. 
Hubby has gone to play walking football so I have a few peaceful hours to do what I want.

My mum is coming for tea tonight now I am over the dreaded you know what.

Hope you all have a nice day 

Michelle

It's good to know that you are now better.  Enjoy tea with your mum, when my mum was still with us we all used to gether at her house on Sunday tea.  I think it was a left over tradition from her mum because one my cousins and I were reminiscing recently about crowded grandma's house used to be on Sundays when we all used to go there for tea.

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Me too - 11pm.  My daughter said Mika was good too.  You and I might be around the same sort of age group, because I can remember that Sing Little Birdie song too.  And indeed 'Non ho l'età (per amarti)' from Gigliola Cinquetti which won in 1964.  Great song, but she's only slightly older than I, and in 1964 I was very taken with her, in a teenage sort of way.  She sang it again last night - to a lot of applause.

After what I saw last night, I think we'll start watching it again - our daughter's already planning an even bigger event for next year because they all enjoyed it so much last night - scorecards and everything!

Some things have got worse over the years - Eurovision seems to have got infinitely better.

A friend sent us a link to some Eurovision Bingo cards - a search shows there are quite a few versions - one or two free but mostly payable but very cheap.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1224093053/eurovision-song-contest-2022-bingo-party

I'd never seen them before but they look as though they could be fun if you're having a party.  It relies on spotting different things happening during the show eg use of wind machine/presenter costume change/piano on stage/technical glitches (as if there wouldn't be some!!!!)   I think the chance of any of these not happening is next to zero but perhaps trying to spot them may add to the quirkiness of the whole event and would be a laugh!

Good result though for 1st and 2nd places.  

• Like 3

From about early/mid 90s I always hosted the yearly Eurovision Dinner Party.   Lots of small betting, ie Wogans worst comment, or joke, worst outfits. loads of topics I can't remember.  Lots of alcohol consumed by the end.

It wasn't fancy dress but we always tried to wear something topical, for instance Carole always wore blonde woollen plaits and said she was from Sweden!     The first time I  really met my lovely son in law he arrived in a tight red dress. I think  a lady in a tight dress from somewhere like Israel had won the year before. 

They were good times, and people used to ask to come, but we had to keep numbers to 8.  We thought it would spoil it to get bigger.  Memories Eh? 😆

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 3

Good afternoon.

We have just got home after a short cruise on Anthem of the seas from Southampton.

We went on the North Star observation pod which lifts you 300 feet above sea level.

We went on the dodgem cars.

The food in the main steak restaurant Chops grill was nice.

IMG_20220514_174138.jpg

IMG_20220513_154406.jpg

IMG_20220513_154722.jpg

IMG_20220513_154618.jpg

IMG_20220513_185635.jpg

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

We have just got home after a short cruise on Anthem of the seas from Southampton.

We went on the North Star observation pod which lifts you 300 feet above sea level.

IMG_20220514_174138.jpg

IMG_20220513_154406.jpg

IMG_20220513_154722.jpg

IMG_20220513_154618.jpg

IMG_20220513_185635.jpg

When you posted a picture of those enormous prawns, I thought that reminds me of RC. September for us.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

You were spot on Michelle.

We were in this observation pod.

IMG-20220513-WA0004.jpg

33 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

IMG-20220513-WA0004.jpg

IMG_20220513_154406.jpg

46 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

IMG_20220514_174138.jpg

IMG_20220513_154406.jpg

IMG_20220513_154722.jpg

IMG_20220513_154618.jpg

IMG_20220513_185635.jpg

Lovely Graham - glad you had a nice time.   I am catching up here sitting on my daughter’s balcony in Athens - arrived last night.   The weather is lovely - around 26 degrees today so we had a nice lunch down at the sea.  Just the dreaded test tomorrow before I join Azamara in Piraeus on Tuesday- fingers crossed!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

IMG_20220514_174138.jpg

IMG_20220513_154406.jpg

IMG_20220513_154722.jpg

IMG_20220513_154618.jpg

IMG_20220513_185635.jpg

Great photos Graham, hope you enjoyed Anthem. We are on her but not until August 2023

Michelle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Lovely Graham - glad you had a nice time.   I am catching up here sitting on my daughter’s balcony in Athens - arrived last night.   The weather is lovely - around 26 degrees today so we had a nice lunch down at the sea.  Just the dreaded test tomorrow before I join Azamara in Piraeus on Tuesday- fingers crossed!  

Thank you.

Sounds lovely that you are sitting on your daughter's balcony in Athens.

I hope everything goes well 🙏 with your test tomorrow and you have the most fabulous cruise on Azamara from Tuesday.

Graham.

2 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

A friend sent us a link to some Eurovision Bingo cards - a search shows there are quite a few versions - one or two free but mostly payable but very cheap.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1224093053/eurovision-song-contest-2022-bingo-party

I'd never seen them before but they look as though they could be fun if you're having a party.  It relies on spotting different things happening during the show eg use of wind machine/presenter costume change/piano on stage/technical glitches (as if there wouldn't be some!!!!)   I think the chance of any of these not happening is next to zero but perhaps trying to spot them may add to the quirkiness of the whole event and would be a laugh!

Good result though for 1st and 2nd places.  

Thanks.  She mentioned something about the children having bingo cards, so that explains it!

• Like 1

Sorry not to reply to earlier posts about our meet up with Mr and Mrs Pete and paws, but for some reason the site wasn't letting me reply to anything. (Trying to tell me something !). For anyone worried, please don't worry that the wine could evaporate --- it didn't have the time 🙂

Re the Eurovision Song Contest. I usually watch it but decided not to last night. Have to say, though, I am one of those sad people who loved the UK song so wandered in to the programme for '5 minutes'. We ended up watching it all through and just loved the vibe and the atmosphere. Used to watch it was a child and seen it go through stages ranging from good to bad to dire. It was just good to see the UK get points and then when it was 12 points we were both in shock. Hubby hates it but even he watched the scoring last night 😉 Shame we didn't win but I think everyone knew that Ukraine would.

Well, off to look at cruises now --- thinking way in to the future but it has been a long time since I've been able to relax by just researching holidays. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Great photos Graham, hope you enjoyed Anthem. We are on her but not until August 2023

Michelle

We had a great time Michelle.

After dinner last night in Chops Grill we watched a good Beatles Tribute band in the theatre then we went into Boleros and enjoyed the Karioke.

Graham 

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

IMG_20220514_174138.jpg

IMG_20220513_154406.jpg

IMG_20220513_154722.jpg

IMG_20220513_154618.jpg

IMG_20220513_185635.jpg

Glad you had a good time. 
I like Pauline’s Radley bag 😊

• Thanks 1