P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Most people nowadays have their garages stuffed with other things - garden furniture, old bits and bobs etc.  I only have a single garage, and it already has a car in it - currently waiting for my son to make room for it at his place, as it is an old and cherished sports model.  Luckily I have a driveway (just) big enough to keep the other one, out of sight of the road.  Many in this village leave their cars out on the road due to no or short drives and too many family cars.  Result can be having their catalytic converters stolen, or even their number plates.  Sadly even in this peaceful country area the thieves are about, more than ever.

We are very fortunate in the fact that we anticipated what we would need and have a double garage with workshop, a large brick built and secure garden shed which accommodates all garden equipment and a lovely large summer house where all the garden furniture can be kept ,plus a driveway that will take four cars. The road adjoining ours is a nightmare as lots of people can not be bothered to even use their driveway !!! No sympathy when mirrors etc are snapped off due to the reduced width of the road ,however break ins are quite rare around here

4 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

scraping ice off windscreens is something we never do with our cars as they both go in the garage every night and in the day when not been used, 12 houses in our street ,only two people garage their cars leading to noisy early starts for us all in winter 😡

When I posted yesterday I did not mean that I scrape ice now but when I first had a car I was still living with my parents so had to park outside because four cars in the househo!d meant that I had no choice. We have a double garage where we live now so I haven't scraped ice for a long time, we are the only people in our street who do park in the garage.  We sleep at the back of the house so don't hear any early starts.  What annoys me most about cars in our street is that everyone has a drive but quite a lot of people still choose to park on the road.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

When I posted yesterday I did not mean that I scrape ice now but when I first had a car I was still living with my parents so had to park outside because four cars in the househo!d meant that I had no choice. We have a double garage where we live now so I haven't scraped ice for a long time, we are the only people in our street who do park in the garage.  We sleep at the back of the house so don't hear any early starts.  What annoys me most about cars in our street is that everyone has a drive but quite a lot of people still choose to park on the road.

Glad we're not the only ones still garaging our cars - seems almost freaky now. Cars are rarely garaged, but given the size of modern cars that's hardly surprising.  Today's Polo is about the size of yesterday's Golf. 

Trouble is, no cars on the drive suggests nobody's at home to burglars!

3 hours ago, ccpm said:

Lovely day here in Holt and I can breathe again so looking up all round. 

We are on holiday in Sheringham at the moment and hope to visit Holt during our stay. Lovely part of the UK which we haven't previously explored

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Glad we're not the only ones still garaging our cars - seems almost freaky now. Cars are rarely garaged, but given the size of modern cars that's hardly surprising.  Today's Polo is about the size of yesterday's Golf. 

We too put our car in the garage each night and my husband will only buy a car if it's going to fit.The trouble with that is that everytime we want to go out my husband has to open the garage and remove his 2 bikes before he can drive out and then has to return his bikes to the garage before setting off. It's not surprising that we travel most places by foot, bus or train!

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 12:17 PM, wowzz said:

The normal calculation in europe, and what is shown via the onboard display,  is litres per 100 km.

Used to keep my mental arithmetic skills honed converting that to mpg, and then further calculations required to calculate the cost of a gallon in sterling when buying litres in euros. 

Just got back from that Cornwall. Decided to use the A303 rather than M5/M4. It's about 30 miles shorter and took about the same amount of time. 60mpg. I switched the computer onto kilometers so the mpg was even better. Result.  DW had a runny nose and sore throat. My diagnosis due to her reaction following that tractor was hay fever...what's that awful smell ?she said. Wasn't me. Did a test when we got home. Negative.. Can we squeeze in another short break before our Celebrity cruise to the fjords in July....you bet.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

We moved into an apartment 12 months ago and now only have a designated parking space, whereas our cars had previously been garaged for 56 years.

However one strange thing I have noticed about garaging the car outside is that I no longer need to wash it,  I have only had to wash the front alloys once in 12 months, and the odd bit of bird poo needing to be rinsed off, quite amazing really.

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

We are on holiday in Sheringham at the moment and hope to visit Holt during our stay. Lovely part of the UK which we haven't previously explored

Wonderful! Really great place for a relaxing break. Some of our best family holidays were spent round there, and lovely Norfolk people too. Plus a rather good fish and chip restaurant! Much better, we found, than the much more expensive but better known one at Cromer.

We were in your county today visiting our son and daughter-in-law. The second time we’ve been inside a house other than ours since March 2020, and the first time was there too last October after they’d bought the house. Lots of open windows and, as my wife pointed out on the way over, the first food I’ve eaten since March 2020 that she hasn’t prepared!  It’s a beautiful county, Derbyshire and not an area we’ve spent much time in, but I envy him the location - though not the fuel bills. The house was heated to all of 15 degrees last winter - no way!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ann141 said:

We too put our car in the garage each night and my husband will only buy a car if it's going to fit.The trouble with that is that everytime we want to go out my husband has to open the garage and remove his 2 bikes before he can drive out and then has to return his bikes to the garage before setting off. It's not surprising that we travel most places by foot, bus or train!

Fortunately we have a large garage which would take most cars we would be tempted to buy, so one car is garaged the other stays on the drive, but agree most garages on new build properties can’t accommodate a reasonable sized family car. A friend of ours has lined the walls in his garage with thick sponge so when he does put car in he does chip the doors when gets out, plus he can put the front of the car against the wall which enables him to close the garage door.

9 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Fortunately we have a large garage which would take most cars we would be tempted to buy, so one car is garaged the other stays on the drive, but agree most garages on new build properties can’t accommodate a reasonable sized family car. A friend of ours has lined the walls in his garage with thick sponge so when he does put car in he does chip the doors when gets out, plus he can put the front of the car against the wall which enables him to close the garage door.

What's worse is that on a lot of the new estates been built a garage is not an option, with some having nothing more than a shared drive 

One of our neighbours have lined their garage with bubble wrap. A few years ago we were down by the garages when the were test driving a new car and trying it in the garage for size, making sure it would fit!

Looks like another sunny day down here too, after some rain overnight.  There's a slight breeze which we didn't have when I got up.

Took a walk down the road to watch the carnival last night which compared to previous years was very poorly attended.

20220611_190232.jpg

20220611_190340.jpg

20220611_190759.jpg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, purplesea said:

One of our neighbours have lined their garage with bubble wrap. A few years ago we were down by the garages when the were test driving a new car and trying it in the garage for size, making sure it would fit!

Looks like another sunny day down here too, after some rain overnight.  There's a slight breeze which we didn't have when I got up.

Took a walk down the road to watch the carnival last night which compared to previous years was very poorly attended.

20220611_190232.jpg

20220611_190340.jpg

20220611_190759.jpg

Another windy day on the coast here again (not a very warm wind either, same as yesterday)

14 hours ago, ann141 said:

Sheringham is lovely and I am glad you are enjoying your holiday. When visiting Holt be prepared for the great difficulty in parking some days its just about OK but mostly it is rammed. I live right in the centre of old Holt and another tip is nowhere in Holt is pedestrianised but people wander about all over the roads without looking it can be very bad for your nerves when driving. Having said that it is a beautiful small town and well worth visiting.

1 minute ago, ccpm said:

Sheringham is lovely and I am glad you are enjoying your holiday. When visiting Holt be prepared for the great difficulty in parking some days its just about OK but mostly it is rammed. I live right in the centre of old Holt and another tip is nowhere in Holt is pedestrianised but people wander about all over the roads without looking it can be very bad for your nerves when driving. Having said that it is a beautiful small town and well worth visiting.

Thank you. We will be coming on the bus to Holt.Yesterday we went on a boat trip from Blakeney to see the seals and today we plan to visit Sheringham Park. It really is a lovely part of the world.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Thank you. We will be coming on the bus to Holt.Yesterday we went on a boat trip from Blakeney to see the seals and today we plan to visit Sheringham Park. It really is a lovely part of the world.

Great option that bus is great. I try to do the seal trip every year even as a local now. I have been too breathless so far this year but may try next week now I am better.

3 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Great option that bus is great. I try to do the seal trip every year even as a local now. I have been too breathless so far this year but may try next week now I am better.

It was lovely to see a few seals but we had been warned we may not see many and we only saw 4 or 5 whereas I understand that sometimes there are hundreds!

A sunny but windy day here.  We are going out for a family lunch today. It will be nice to finally have everyone together, we have not seen some since the start of the pandemic.  Unfortunately my sister-in-law sent out an email to all of us last night to say that she has come home from a break in Northumberland with a bug that she doesn't want to share.   I'm not looking forward to being on the road for almost an hour each way but as a 95 year old aunt will be there we have decided that it is better for us to go closer to her house. 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2022 at 11:12 PM, Snow Hill said:

One test drive booked for Monday, another to be booked Saturday, looking at a possible third at some point next week. 

Cars being tested

Renault Captur Hybrid

Toyota Yaris Cross Hybrid

Hyundai Kona Hybrid

will be a first for me as all hybrids are automatic and only ever driven manual gear box cars. 

Well the idea of a test in the Captur came to a quick end. I spent time talking to the salesman about various options for the car, I then said I would like a test drive before any decision is reached, that’s when he told me that they had no demonstration models and wouldn’t until late August, but I could test drive a Clio which as the same engine!! That brought the conversation to a speedy end one less car to test and I will be owning at some point a non-Renault car for first time in over 10 years. 

I have added the Honda Cross star to the list and removed the Kona, as the model I was looking at is outside of my budget. 

14 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Well the idea of a test in the Captur came to a quick end. I spent time talking to the salesman about various options for the car, I then said I would like a test drive before any decision is reached, that’s when he told me that they had no demonstration models and wouldn’t until late August, but I could test drive a Clio which as the same engine!! That brought the conversation to a speedy end one less car to test and I will be owning at some point a non-Renault car for first time in over 10 years. 

I have added the Honda Cross star to the list and removed the Kona, as the model I was looking at is outside of my budget. 

I can be a great deal of help here. I hired a Captur. Quite good. My car has the Renault diesel engine and it's got a silver star in the bonnet. Apparently that engine is used in several different makes, so must be going . Not much help really, was it.🤣