P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Today off to the Hozzie as its that wonderful time of the year when they like

to light up my eyeballs and photo them ,so that's me having the eyes of a

barn owl for a few hours .

Hope all goes well for you at the hospital kalos.

Who who🦉

Yes you😁

Avril

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

@brian1 what milestones indeed!  I shall miss the car journeys you took to Italy, since I guess you will now fly for your annual visits, but it does sound like a good solution you have gone for. Good luck with it.

The story of your adoption and your poor mother’s circumstances before she had you at 17 took my breath away. I hope that you have a good meeting with your newly found relatives. Thanks for sharing your story.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

The 2nd one is a Davina Mcall long lost family moment at Euston station.In my adoption records it said my mum was born in 1935 and taken into care at 3 years old due to filthy living conditions and her mum allowing the premises to be used for improper purposes.She led a life of numerous   fostering and schools including a spell in a convent/asylum and was deemed out of control.At the age of 16 she was mixing with women of dubious character and known criminal men culminating in a charge of soliciting and resulting in my birth when she was 17.24 hrs after my DNA results with Ancestry I was in contact with my aunt who was born in 1944 and never met her sister.Her mum Ivy,the protaganator in this saga gave her away to her brother and she never found out until she was 20 that her sister was her cousin.There's loads more to this saga but cut a long story short she is coming down from Northampton with her cousin to meet me and a brother who lives in France who she never knew about until recently.His daughter from London,my cousin will also be there.OMG, coming up for breath now..My aunt was devastated when she found all this out and thought her mum was a strange but respectable lady.Wish me luck,Brian.

I really do wish you luck bro, and hope you have a good day. Your story is interesting and I'm pleased that after all this time everything is finally coming together for you.

Regardless of your begining bro, the most important thing is how you have grown and worked hard to become the great guy are today, with your determination and the love of your adoptive family. 

Sis

p.s not THE Davina Mcall?

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Hope all goes well for you at the hospital kalos.

Who who🦉

Yes you😁

Avril

Pretty quick today there 10 mins early all done and dusted and back home within the hour.

Hardest part was getting in the carpark at the hospital ,lucky for us someone was just vacating a spot  on our arrival.

The ones I feel sorry for is the staff who have to pay to park and go to work there.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

The 2nd one is a Davina Mcall long lost family moment at Euston station.In my adoption records it said my mum was born in 1935 and taken into care at 3 years old due to filthy living conditions and her mum allowing the premises to be used for improper purposes.She led a life of numerous   fostering and schools including a spell in a convent/asylum and was deemed out of control.At the age of 16 she was mixing with women of dubious character and known criminal men culminating in a charge of soliciting and resulting in my birth when she was 17.24 hrs after my DNA results with Ancestry I was in contact with my aunt who was born in 1944 and never met her sister.Her mum Ivy,the protaganator in this saga gave her away to her brother and she never found out until she was 20 that her sister was her cousin.There's loads more to this saga but cut a long story short she is coming down from Northampton with her cousin to meet me and a brother who lives in France who she never knew about until recently.His daughter from London,my cousin will also be there.OMG, coming up for breath now..My aunt was devastated when she found all this out and thought her mum was a strange but respectable lady.Wish me luck,Brian.

Having been on a similar journey I know the mixed emotions you are going through. Good luck.

I am meeting a 1st cousin in June. He lives in Ohio and is visiting the UK with his wife. All done through Ancestry and DNA.

• Like 14

42 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Having been on a similar journey I know the mixed emotions you are going through. Good luck.

I am meeting a 1st cousin in June. He lives in Ohio and is visiting the UK with his wife. All done through Ancestry and DNA.

Cheers Bob,one of the reasons for my post was to reach out to you,remembering your story from last year.Glad you went ahead with your journey.The flip side of mine is I.m 99% sure I have a half brother thru our "dad".At first my aunt thought my dad might have been her half brother who was a coach driver who had a woman at every bus stop,lol.When Ancestry refined their results to separate the parents this confirmed her sister as my mum.This half brother of mine is a bit reluctant to talk but he confirmed we were born in Stepney a few weeks apart in different hospitals.His mum went missing after he was born and even the police couldn't find her.He was adopted also.There are matches to my dad on the site which could stir up a hornets nest if I contacted them.Good luck to you also,Brian.

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

@brian1 - wow. That is quite a lot to get your head around. I hope all goes well.

@Adawn47 perfectly and wonderfully worded post to Brian.

Lol,I've simplified it ommiting the confusion who my grandad is.Ivy lied on my mums birth certificate who her father was.DNA doesn't lie so process of elimination might sort it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I really do wish you luck bro, and hope you have a good day. Your story is interesting and I'm pleased that after all this time everything is finally coming together for you.

Regardless of your begining bro, the most important thing is how you have grown and worked hard to become the great guy are today, with your determination and the love of your adoptive family. 

Sis

p.s not THE Davina Mcall?

Thanks sis,when I am posting to my aunt for some reason I think of you being my virtual older sis.My aunt is only 8 years older than me.Cheers,bro.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Cheers Bob,one of the reasons for my post was to reach out to you,remembering your story from last year.Glad you went ahead with your journey.The flip side of mine is I.m 99% sure I have a half brother thru our "dad".At first my aunt thought my dad might have been her half brother who was a coach driver who had a woman at every bus stop,lol.When Ancestry refined their results to separate the parents this confirmed her sister as my mum.This half brother of mine is a bit reluctant to talk but he confirmed we were born in Stepney a few weeks apart in different hospitals.His mum went missing after he was born and even the police couldn't find her.He was adopted also.There are matches to my dad on the site which could stir up a hornets nest if I contacted them.Good luck to you also,Brian.

Thanks Brian.  I have traced a half brother and three half sisters on my fathers side. My brother has since died, my sisters haven't responded, but my cousin has. He filled in a lot of gaps and the stories he has told about my father and his war exploits have given me a warm feeling. No contact from my mothers side, many 3rd cousins ect but no closer and no leads.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Good morning everyone here is a message for anyone who comes under Stoke City Council. You can now register to have your garden waste collected all year round at a cost of £40. Not bad really when you look at other parts of the country.

The cost for fortnightly garden waste collection on the Isle of Wight is over £100 per year!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Thanks Brian.  I have traced a half brother and three half sisters on my fathers side. My brother has since died, my sisters haven't responded, but my cousin has. He filled in a lot of gaps and the stories he has told about my father and his war exploits have given me a warm feeling. No contact from my mothers side, many 3rd cousins ect but no closer and no leads.

It's strange that people put themselves on the Ancestry platform but "bottle it" when contacted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

You don't need luck Brian... just your very own wonderfully resilient. take in all in the stride, go getter, personality is all that you need!

But "Good Luck!" anyway.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, brian1 said:

It's strange that people put themselves on the Ancestry platform but "bottle it" when contacted.

Yes, I found it very strange. My brother was a member and one of his daughters, neither responded. My sisters were not, it was my cousin James I found out about other family members. He has done a lot of research and traced my paternal ancestry back to the late 1700's, from the Rhonda, Wales. My great grandfather left in 1895 and settled in Ohio. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Yes, I found it very strange. My brother was a member and one of his daughters, neither responded. My sisters were not, it was my cousin James I found out about other family members. He has done a lot of research and traced my paternal ancestry back to the late 1700's, from the Rhonda, Wales. My great grandfather left in 1895 and settled in Ohio. 

Lol,perhaps adopted relos like us might be considered as black sheep.Funny I am meeting an uncle who has just come over from France and I am driving thru France the next day.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

That’s fabulous Brian and all that information coming to light. I am pleased for you that DNA has found family for you.

My mum did a DNA test with Ancestry and we have so many matches all over the world it’s a bit overwhelming. I have been in contact with relatives in NZ we didn’t know about

Michelle

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I have had this happen too, they are on ancestry yet don’t reply when you contact them. I don’t understand it….

Michelle

• Like 5

@brian1 I was only thinking of you and your quest to learn more of your history a couple of weeks ago.  I meant to ask whether there had been progress … well, there certainly has!  
These family stories are so interesting, even to we who are just bystanders.  Davina McColl, or the BBC series with Stacey somebody - always fascinating.  There was something a while ago with people born as a result of wartime liaisons with GIs from ”coloured battalions”, many of whom had extra difficult childhoods.

Did you see the one-off programme about Sir Paul Nurse, Nobel Laureate, former Chief Scientific Officer & goodness knows what else?  He’s another whose (considerably) older “sister” is actually his mother? She has passed away but the half-siblings and cousins he has found are all delighting in his appearance.  

We look back and think of everything prim & proper, white gloves, church on Sunday, Two way Family Favourites, suburban families with 2.4 children, nothing naughty ever going on, but people are people, hormones are hormones, and nature is determined that species continue

Ooh, sorry.  I’ve gone on a bit!

Anyway - hope the meet-up is fantastic

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sarah1974 said:

The cost for fortnightly garden waste collection on the Isle of Wight is over £100 per year!

I was shocked when I saw the cost over there for this year, pretty sure it’s doubled in the last 5 years or so since my mum first got her bin. Ours is 65 this year, but we have to buy the bin. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

I was shocked when I saw the cost over there for this year, pretty sure it’s doubled in the last 5 years or so since my mum first got her bin. Ours is 65 this year, but we have to buy the bin. 

Glad ours is still included as part of regular collections no additional fee, my green bin was emptied this morning. I managed to fill it with the Ivy I removed from the garden wall this week, I borrowed my neighbours bin and filled that as well.

I would shred it but the leaves tend to clog up the shredder. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Many only do the test to find out their ethnicity and are not interested in researching their families, unfortunately it’s the way Ancestry market the product. 

Currently helping some one find out what happened to her mother’s younger brother, who she believes was adopted at the age of 5, we have a possible match to him in Canada, but so far no response from him, quite frustrating.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

Certainly  wishing you luck Brian, with all the exciting things going on in your life at present.  I hope that the sale of your Italian house goes smoothly - and that you will not miss being out there in your own place too much.  And even more than this meeting with unknown relations goes really well.

I am having my own little life change, in that I am sadly giving up driving after 60 years, due to a combination of a problem with the car and more the cost of insurance for next year, more than double the present amount (age related).  I am lucky to have a lovely friend who is doing the selling for me; the low mileage car is apparently worth much more than scrap value, and also nice neighbours who are willing to take me on necessary and even pleasure outings.  I know my children feel that I should have made an effort for at least another year, but  I know my limitations.  It does feel a bit like the end of the road.  (Pun intended).

It’s not the end of the road - it’s just a new route!

I hope it all works out well and that you adjust quickly

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well we arrived in perranporth at 10 o’clock this morning and they let us in to our caravan early.

check in was supposed to be 4 o’clock so bonus, also has we were the first visitors of the year we got a bottle of Prosecco and two cuddles teddies, all good except we didn’t have any heating or hot water until 3 o’clock as the boiler was broke , all fix now and cozy and warm because it’s freezing and chuffing windy , had a scout around to get our bearings and had to have a local pasty and some wet stuff to go with it after all I’m a classy girl 😂😂

IMG_5338.jpeg

IMG_5339.jpeg

IMG_5340.jpeg

• Like 15