PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

9 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

Happy New Year to you also. 🎉🍾

You win the ''Geek Prize"!

What is sad is that I once sent a hexidecimal note to my "unit" at work and not one of the "tech folks" had any idea what I was sending. They were all from the "point and click" generation. It was totally appropriate for a tech group but went completely over their heads as they had never even dealt with DOS or Unix let alone learning about hex to ASCII. The message I sent them was a reference to Windows and to Lord of the Rings.

4F6E65204F5320746F2072756C65207468656D20616C6C2C204F6E65204F5320746F
2066696E64207468656D2C0D0A4F6E65204F5320746F206272696E67207468656D20
616C6C20616E6420696E20746865206461726B6E6573732062696E64207468656D

I'll save you the effort of translation:

"One OS to rule them all, One OS to find them
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Thrak said:

What is sad is that I once sent a hexidecimal note to my "unit" at work and not one of the "tech folks" had any idea what I was sending. They were all from the "point and click" generation. It was totally appropriate for a tech group but went completely over their heads as they had never even dealt with DOS or Unix let alone learning about hex to ASCII. The message I sent them was a reference to Windows and to Lord of the Rings.

I worked at IBM in Dept. 464, San Jose......many, MANY years ago!

Here is to a much better 2022! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

I'm sure those kids couldn't write an assembler subroutine to save ... no wait ... to earn Bonus points 😄

Happy New Year!!

Edited by Mary loves to travel
add a closing line
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 5:35 PM, MamaFej said:

Howdy!

I haven't been around for quite some time, and I'm surprised at how quickly I was able to catch up. It's so nice to read everyone's news. 

After our 3 cruises in late September/early October (Alaska and Baja California) my mom was rushed to hospital in septic shock from a UTI. At 78, her chances of survival ware about 40%, and I'm glad to say that she did. This may have actually been a good thing. The doctors wouldn't release her to go home alone, and she was too mobile for skilled nursing, so we moved her into an assisited living facility for a couple of months. Actually getting her medications and eating on a more consistent schedule has led her to have more energy and to be more coherent than she has been in about a decade. She is seeing the importance of these things and becoming a more active participant in her health care.

She has a 7mm by 11mm kidney stone blocking a ureter, and it is causing tremendous pain and leading to repeated infections. Surgery keeps getting delayed due to staff shortages as people are reassigned to care for Covid patients. It's frustrating. 

We canceled two RV trips in October and November due to Mom's needs, but we did get to go to French Polynesia for two glorious, Covid-free weeks, including a lovelyWindstar cruise in December. The French Polynesian government decided enough was enough and instituted strict, but easy to follow, Covid protocols and have pretty much eliminated community spread of Covid. We felt incredibly safe from the moment we boarded the plane on the 7th until the moment we got off the plane at LAX on the 22nd. Protocols work when they are actually followed and enforced. 

If you are looking for a safe place to travel to during all this chaos, I highly recommend French Polynesia. It was astonishing to feel so safe there, while reading about literally exponential growth of cases in Denmark and elsewhere, and how crazy it was starting to get at home. 

Happy new year, Princess Cruisers!

Image.png

On 1/6/2022 at 6:59 PM, Thrak said:

For the geeks out there:

48 61 70 70 79 20 4E 65 77 20 59 65 61 72

What protocols were followed in French Polynesia?  Masking, etc.?  We would love to do this type of cruise as long as it is not too restrictive, but yet safe.  We did a 12 day in Nov. and enjoyed it a lot, but probably would be reluctant to do the same now, not so much worried about catching Covid as about being quarantined and/or missing ports.

2 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

What protocols were followed in French Polynesia?  Masking, etc.?  We would love to do this type of cruise as long as it is not too restrictive, but yet safe.  We did a 12 day in Nov. and enjoyed it a lot, but probably would be reluctant to do the same now, not so much worried about catching Covid as about being quarantined and/or missing ports.

We had to apply via ETIS (Electronic Travel Information System) for permission to enter the country. The form included all of our accommodations while in Fr. Poly. Unvaccinated people could apply as well, but their fee was about 3x higher, a "compelling reason for travel" is required, and they have to quarantine at their own expense before being allowed to roam freely. Given the expense, and how seriously Fr. Poly is taking things, I doubt there are very many people who apply, actually get approved, and undergo the quarantine just so they can go without being vaccinated. We were required to PCR test within 48 hours of take-off from LA. We had to wear medical masks on the plane. We had to PCR test upon landing. Masks are required in all indoor situations (unless actively eating or drinking) and when in crowds outside. In our experience, people were cooperative with masking.

We had to test and wait for results before boarding the ship. Windstar had a lovely, shaded area for the screening. Masks were required indoors on the ship, unless actively eating or drinking. Masks were required on the tenders (most ports are tendered). It wasn't nearly as annoying as I would have thought. It's the tropics, so many buildings are very open, with roofs and retractable walls, so there is usually a cross-breeze, even when "indoors." We would wear masks from the ship, on the tender, and while walking to our snorkle boat or jeep, then we could take them off once the vehicle was moving. 

The crew was absolutely fantastic, as were the tour guides and local folks! 

The vast majority of people wore their masks correctly, gave people space whenever possible, etc. I tend to think that people who are willing to jump through the required hoops to travel to places with thoughtful protocols are also people who take Covid seriously, and are the sort of people who are onboard with protecting themselves and others. After all, we were enjoying a dream vacation in a virtually Covid-free place, while much of the world was suffering with exponential growth of cases, and our unvaccinated acquaintances were whining about not being allowed to do stuff. 

If we could have stayed there instead of coming home to a place where Covid is tossed around like confetti, we would have. 

I hope you can find a voyage that fits your needs.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Thrak said:

The only place I've ever seen the term "hexidecimal" is in "The Martian."  We don't speak like that in the operating room. 😆

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MamaFej said:

We had to apply via ETIS (Electronic Travel Information System) for permission to enter the country. The form included all of our accommodations while in Fr. Poly. Unvaccinated people could apply as well, but their fee was about 3x higher, a "compelling reason for travel" is required, and they have to quarantine at their own expense before being allowed to roam freely. Given the expense, and how seriously Fr. Poly is taking things, I doubt there are very many people who apply, actually get approved, and undergo the quarantine just so they can go without being vaccinated. We were required to PCR test within 48 hours of take-off from LA. We had to wear medical masks on the plane. We had to PCR test upon landing. Masks are required in all indoor situations (unless actively eating or drinking) and when in crowds outside. In our experience, people were cooperative with masking.

We had to test and wait for results before boarding the ship. Windstar had a lovely, shaded area for the screening. Masks were required indoors on the ship, unless actively eating or drinking. Masks were required on the tenders (most ports are tendered). It wasn't nearly as annoying as I would have thought. It's the tropics, so many buildings are very open, with roofs and retractable walls, so there is usually a cross-breeze, even when "indoors." We would wear masks from the ship, on the tender, and while walking to our snorkle boat or jeep, then we could take them off once the vehicle was moving. 

The crew was absolutely fantastic, as were the tour guides and local folks! 

The vast majority of people wore their masks correctly, gave people space whenever possible, etc. I tend to think that people who are willing to jump through the required hoops to travel to places with thoughtful protocols are also people who take Covid seriously, and are the sort of people who are onboard with protecting themselves and others. After all, we were enjoying a dream vacation in a virtually Covid-free place, while much of the world was suffering with exponential growth of cases, and our unvaccinated acquaintances were whining about not being allowed to do stuff. 

If we could have stayed there instead of coming home to a place where Covid is tossed around like confetti, we would have. 

I hope you can find a voyage that fits your needs.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply.  It gives us much to think about.  We lost a dream cruise to Tahiti and other islands due to the Covid crisis in March of 2020.  We are vaccinated and boostered and very willing to comply with rules as long as not truly onerous.  

The one thing I wonder about is if it is even possible for us to get PCR tests and the results 48 hours before flying from LA, given that we are from Nebraska; I guess we'd have to go into LA early and get one there?  Not sure we can get results that fact.

Then another PCR test on landing?  And a test before boarding?  Also of course the ETIS you mentioned.  I guess very good insurance would be in order!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Thank you so much for your detailed reply.  It gives us much to think about.  We lost a dream cruise to Tahiti and other islands due to the Covid crisis in March of 2020.  We are vaccinated and boostered and very willing to comply with rules as long as not truly onerous.  

The one thing I wonder about is if it is even possible for us to get PCR tests and the results 48 hours before flying from LA, given that we are from Nebraska; I guess we'd have to go into LA early and get one there?  Not sure we can get results that fact.

Then another PCR test on landing?  And a test before boarding?  Also of course the ETIS you mentioned.  I guess very good insurance would be in order!

You might check to see if your home airport does testing. I know you can get it done at LAX. 

We are fortunate that our insurance makes no-cost drive-through necessary testing super easy, and the site is less than half an hour away. Results may take longer now, with so many needing tests, but we've gotten ours in 12-28 hours in the past. 

• Like 2

On 1/7/2022 at 8:14 PM, Lucky TGO said:

Hi to all my cruise critic friends,

This is what it looks like in Boston today. This girl definitely gets my vote for the Wife of the year. What do you guys think? See photo. 😁

9B4A347F-59F6-4080-97F1-816367BF3B06.jpeg

My wife would never bring Budweiser. She has much better taste in beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, MamaFej said:

You might check to see if your home airport does testing. I know you can get it done at LAX. 

We are fortunate that our insurance makes no-cost drive-through necessary testing super easy, and the site is less than half an hour away. Results may take longer now, with so many needing tests, but we've gotten ours in 12-28 hours in the past. 

Lots to check out.  As of now no drive through testing in our area, Omaha is 2.5 hours away, where we could probably find drive through tests.    I don't know if the airport there does testing, but unlikely.  We can get a PCR test at a local urgent care center, and probably free, just timing is an issue.  Hard to make the flight to LA when not knowing for sure that we are negative!

I do realize testing at LAX is a possibility but it would be a leap of faith to head off not knowing results ahead of time.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Lots to check out.  As of now no drive through testing in our area, Omaha is 2.5 hours away, where we could probably find drive through tests.    I don't know if the airport there does testing, but unlikely.  We can get a PCR test at a local urgent care center, and probably free, just timing is an issue.  Hard to make the flight to LA when not knowing for sure that we are negative!

I do realize testing at LAX is a possibility but it would be a leap of faith to head off not knowing results ahead of time.

I'm sorry that you (and others) don't have easy access to testing. While bouncing around the Eppley site, I was able to find this link to testing in Douglas County. I hope it helps. It doesn't look like Lincoln has testing, either. 

Good luck!

19 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I'm sorry that you (and others) don't have easy access to testing. While bouncing around the Eppley site, I was able to find this link to testing in Douglas County. I hope it helps. It doesn't look like Lincoln has testing, either. 

Good luck!

Thanks!  We do have a good testing site (urgent care) which we used for our November cruise--rapid antigen, and another that does PCR, with results 12-48 hours.  They said it is usually 12 hours, but could we fly off and count on that?  The same with testing in Omaha, which is possible.

We will probably just put off any trips that require testing deadlines that are so difficult to meet.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 8:11 PM, LoriPhil said:

Aw rats Kjlcheval, so sorry to hear that news and keeping fingers crossed for you!   One of the things I value most about our thread is the supportive community we have here, with so many fellow cruisers sharing the relief of good news, but encouragement for the rocky times.  Bestest wishes and please let us know how you are doing!

Just heard last night that I'm good! I do have an enlarged lymph node in my left armpit but they feal it's from the booster which I received 3 weeks prior, so and ultrasound in the future for grins and giggles she said. It's amazing how much that was looming over my head! I'm still praying that our British Isles cruise actually happens in August. I just booked our London Airbnb!!

• Like 4

20 hours ago, donswife said:

The worst part is that we had to stop allowing visitors again,  unless we are doing caregiver training 😞

That is bad ,when you cannot have a visitor. Was hospitalized a few times recent ly sucked not to see my husband of 43 years.My son had to threaten to call the CEO to get info on me, He is a sargent with our State police. He got the info lol

I had a great day today with my two granddaughters. I took them with me Skeet Shooting and they loved it. I have been telling them for the longest time Skeet Shooting is way better the fishing. 
They both told me they liked it because it was so exciting. They both said I looked happier then the time I caught the littlest fish in the ocean this past summer. 😳 😁
Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

I had a great day today with my two granddaughters. I took them with me Skeet Shooting and they loved it. I have been telling them for the longest time Skeet Shooting is way better the fishing. 
They both told me they liked it because it was so exciting. They both said I looked happier then the time I caught the littlest fish in the ocean this past summer. 😳 😁
Tony

Sounds like some great memory building time!!  Enjoy those granddaughters!

• Host CJSKIDS locked and unpinned this topic
  • Host CJSKIDS unlocked, pinned and unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

It is nice to see this topic continuing. Thank you @Host CJSKIDS.

I had wanted to share some fun news. On January 25th, we made final payment on our May British Isles cruise! That is 3.5 years after making any sort of a final payment. And it is nice to keep in touch.

• Like 2