Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

Things are okay vaccine wise here. Not as many as I wish, but enough that restrictions and mask mandates are loosened. That said, it’s so confusing sometimes many people in my area just keep wearing them anyway 😂

Now, the drought and heat is another story. I can’t complain, the other day it was cooler here than in Seattle and Vancouver which never happens.

Yes, Vancouver is melting.  We are not used to 41C (105.8F).  Many here do not have A/C as it is not usually needed.  We are fortunate to have it in our home.  Lytton BC was the hottest ever. yesterday at 47.8C (118F).  Records are being broken all over and people are dying of heat exhaustion.  It is to cool down a few degrees tomorrow and the next day.  We flooded the soil around our hydrangea yesterday as it was terribly wilted.  It mostly recovered but the top leaves are burned around the edges.  i have never seen that before.

Schools and businesses have closed because it is too hot for people to function.  This coming on top of the COVID pandemic is just hard to take in.

Keep cool and safe everyone.

• Like 2

Here in Ottawa, the tropical weather has been bearable. Walking out of the AC'd house and being hit with a wave of hot, humid air immediately brings to mind walking out of a resort somewhere in the Caribbean.

For DW and I, it's a good news day. First of all, there were no new COVID cases reported yesterday; the milestone of a million vaccinations in the city has been reached; and 30% of the population is now fully vaccinated. That's a huge jump from only 20% three days earlier. After vaccine shortages for so long, we are finally seeing an increase in the number of doses received and the results are really starting to show.

Secondly, on a more personal note, our 14-day wait is over today, so DW and I are now fully vaccinated.  😊

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Happy Independence Day!  We plan on having an all-vaccinated family gathering.  That is truly a feeling of freedom and independence!

Happy 4th to you as well!  My husband and I just got back from Boston and we took our first subway ride (masks required) since March of 2020.  Typically the subway to and from work is the dread part of my day, today it was spectacular!  City was filled with locals, tourists, flag waving, Boston Common and Public Garden were packed and we enjoyed a fun ride on the Swan Boats, his first time ever, was special.  

16 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Happy 4th to you as well!  My husband and I just got back from Boston and we took our first subway ride (masks required) since March of 2020.  Typically the subway to and from work is the dread part of my day, today it was spectacular!  City was filled with locals, tourists, flag waving, Boston Common and Public Garden were packed and we enjoyed a fun ride on the Swan Boats, his first time ever, was special.  

As somebody who grew up just outside Boston - and attended college there too- I do miss it.  My family and dw's family is still there.  I am dating myself but I went to BU so it was easy to go to the Esplanade to see Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops on the 4th.  I heard they moved it to Tanglewood this year.  Nice memories.  In my day the subway was no so nice.

12 hours ago, TeeRick said:

it was easy to go to the Esplanade to see Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops on the 4th

Wow...that must have been awesome! Did you ever see them perform (live) under John Williams? Went on a bus trip a few years ago and saw the Pops (Christmas concert). Somewhat disappointingly, though, it wasn't Williams conducting that evening. 

2 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Wow...that must have been awesome! Did you ever see them perform (live) under John Williams? Went on a bus trip a few years ago and saw the Pops (Christmas concert). Somewhat disappointingly, though, it wasn't Williams conducting that evening. 

I was beyond blessed to have seen Dionne Warwick perform at Boston Symphony Hall (1987/8?) with John Williams as the conductor, was spectacular.

11 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Not at the Esplanade.  But I did see John Williams and the Pops at a Christmas concert at West Point Eisenhower Hall.  Also awesome!

20 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Williams, I feel, is among the best composers of modern times...especially film scores. He totally captures whatever the movie is about in such a unique fashion. 

The first time I went to the Esplanade for Boston Pops 4th of July concert was 1976, Arthur Fiedler was of course the conductor, I was 17 years old, I was mesmerized, along with approx one million others on the banks of the Charles River.  

14 hours ago, LGW59 said:

The first time I went to the Esplanade for Boston Pops 4th of July concert was 1976, Arthur Fiedler was of course the conductor, I was 17 years old, I was mesmerized, along with approx one million others on the banks of the Charles River.  

I was a BU student then and went to the Bicentennial Concert!  Maybe I saw you there!😀

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Toronto Blue Jays will be back playing home games in Toronto on July 30th. It will have been over 650 days since the last home game in the city in September 2019. They are only selling 15,000 seats initially. Boy those tickets will be costing as much as a cruise in the aftermarket!

Our MLSE soccer team played in the city last night and my Toronto Argos football team will be back in town at the end of August. The Canadian Football League didn't even play last season. 

Now I just need to get a hole in one later this afternoon and my weekend will be perfect!

OK. OK, just getting one par during the round would make my weekend! 🙂

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 4

Hot, hazy and  humid with poor air quality  on Long Island NY..Some days we have same temps as Florida.

Night time thunder and lightening..

We are staying indoors quite a bit  to stay  cool. Hoping weather improves along with Covid stats..slight rise!

18 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Now I just need to get a hole in one later this afternoon and my weekend will be perfect!

OK. OK, just getting one par during the round would make my weekend! 🙂

Two pars yesterday!! 😁

As for the other 16 holes, don't ask. 🤪

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 12:16 PM, Sascol said:

Maybe this thread can be unpinned?  It is over a year old and has not been active in weeks.  It’s also not really cruise related.  

Well, then, how is your weather?

On 8/4/2021 at 3:16 PM, Sascol said:

Maybe this thread can be unpinned?  It is over a year old and has not been active in weeks.  It’s also not really cruise related.  

posts on 7/5, 7/6, 7/7, 7/18, 719, 8/4 (YOURS), 8/8, I don't call that inactive.  Why do you want it unpinned?  There are MANY similar "how are things where you are" on various CC cruise line forums.  I find it a welcome diversion from...

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, cirpi said:

Well, then, how is your weather?

82 here today, but VERY humid, spent the day by the pool a few cold libations in the cooler, summer time and the living is easy 

38 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

posts on 7/5, 7/6, 7/7, 7/18, 719, 8/4 (YOURS), 8/8, I don't call that inactive.  Why do you want it unpinned?  There are MANY similar "how are things where you are" on various CC cruise line forums.  I find it a welcome diversion from...

7/19 to 8/4 is over two weeks. The very definition of inactive, yes.  

Just now, Sascol said:

7/19 to 8/4 is over two weeks. The very definition of inactive, yes.  

Yes but your post on 8/4 made it active again.  Thanks for doing so, I like hearing how things are with folks outside of the other CC stuff.