Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

23 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I am willing to bet that the percentage of fully vaccinated in Canada will sometime later this year exceed the number in the USA.

You are probably right!

I think that when something is very difficult to get , people want it more!

Edited by cantstopingcruising

25 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I am willing to bet that the percentage of fully vaccinated in Canada will sometime later this year exceed the number in the USA.

The polls here seem to indicate a high percentage of pro-vaxxers, so that's probably a safe bet. 🤞

15 hours ago, Fouremco said:

As vaccine supply finally starts to catch up and 2nd shots become increasingly available, our July 31 shots are now rebooked for June 16. Needless to say, DW and I are really happy!  

Super!  Ours were re-booked as well......DH rec'd 2nd dose and I'm scheduled tomorrow.  Things are moving quickly now....good news for reopening the border and EVERYTHING else that feels like 'normal'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Super!  Ours were re-booked as well......DH rec'd 2nd dose and I'm scheduled tomorrow.  Things are moving quickly now....good news for reopening the border and EVERYTHING else that feels like 'normal'.

Great! For us, it feels like Christmas has come early.

• Like 1

Major development in Denmark was announced Thursday morning: All mask requirements are removed starting this Monday, with only one explicit exception: standing passengers in public transport.

We just reached 50% of the eligible population (16+) having received their first vaccine dose, which is definitely also a contributing factor. Everyone over 50 years of age, and below 20 years of age, have been offered the vaccine, which is completely free for everyone in Denmark (PCR and antigen tests are completely free as well).

The AstraZeneca and Johnson&Johnson vaccines have been removed from the official/government-run vaccine program, leaving only Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna. However, starting earlier in June, the AZ and J&J vaccines are offered on a voluntary basis, essentially allowing everyone to "opt-in" for these vaccines after a video call with a certified medical doctor, in order to clarify, and accept, the rare risks attributed to these two vaccine brands, as well as to clarify if the citizen has any diseases that would contribute to an added risk when receiving these two vaccine brands..

Due to my age (32), I am in the very last age range to have the official vaccines offered (currently estimated to start vaccines mid-July, running on to late August), like my wife. Thus, I have opted to receive the voluntary vaccine, as I have no dispositions or illnesses which could put me at extra risk. My wife can't opt for the voluntary disease due to various illnesses. I have a video call with an MD tomorrow afternoon, and if everything goes to plan, I will get my first dose (or the only one, in the case of J&J) some time during next week.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

We're just now gearing up for the second dose push, with more vaccine available due in no small part to the willingness of the US to release excess vaccine to their neighbours. Perhaps a little cross border "who can get the vaccines done faster" competition may get the timid to get it done faster 😉.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We're just now gearing up for the second dose push, with more vaccine available due in no small part to the willingness of the US to release excess vaccine to their neighbours. Perhaps a little cross border "who can get the vaccines done faster" competition may get the timid to get it done faster 😉.

That's a great idea!  Except that the US school systems' complete abandonment of teaching geography probably means that few people here know where this thing called 'Canada' actually is.  Just yesterday someone asked me for details about my upcoming 'Balkans' cruise and the port stop in St. Petersburg...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That's a great idea!  Except that the US school systems' complete abandonment of teaching geography probably means that few people here know where this thing called 'Canada' actually is.  Just yesterday someone asked me for details about my upcoming 'Balkans' cruise and the port stop in St. Petersburg...

There was extensive discussion about geography on the Roll Call discussions for the recently-canceled August 2021 NJ-Nova Scotia-Greenland-Iceland-Southampton trips on the Summit. In the waiting-to-see-what-happens period, many anxious passengers asked Celebrity reps why the cruise hadn't been canceled. Since after all Canada is closed. "Not to worry" the reps said, this itinerary doesn't go to Canada. Eventually somebody issued a clarifying memo to inform staff that Nova Scotia had recently been moved into Canada.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

There was extensive discussion about geography on the Roll Call discussions for the recently-canceled August 2021 NJ-Nova Scotia-Greenland-Iceland-Southampton trips on the Summit. In the waiting-to-see-what-happens period, many anxious passengers asked Celebrity reps why the cruise hadn't been canceled. Since after all Canada is closed. "Not to worry" the reps said, this itinerary doesn't go to Canada. Eventually somebody issued a clarifying memo to inform staff that Nova Scotia had recently been moved into Canada.

If it was moved from Scotland [Antiqua Scotia] that wouldn't have helped – Scotland is closed too!

• Like 1

We got our second shots on Wed and danced out of there!  We waited in line for an hour for the first shot as many lined up well before their allotted time.  So this time we decided to go a little earlier and there was no line up at all.  We just walked in, had our shot, sat for the 15 minutes and we were out of there to celebrate. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I wonder if Canada will be like the USA.  First comes the vaccine eager people who wait in lines or drive great distances.  When they are finished, then the vaccine hesitant are offered all sorts of incentives.  And the Ani-vaxxers who spout misinformation and keep some of the vaccine hesitant in their camp.  Not an easy way to ever get to herd immunity.

• Like 2

It's very frustrating.

At the moment, in Canada, many people are very eager to get their second shots (and some are still getting their first shots).

Time will tell how it evolves. Hopefully, we don't have too many anti-vaxxers, but I am sure there will be some. The misinformation is available on the internet in every country.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I wonder if Canada will be like the USA.  First comes the vaccine eager people who wait in lines or drive great distances.  When they are finished, then the vaccine hesitant are offered all sorts of incentives.  And the Ani-vaxxers who spout misinformation and keep some of the vaccine hesitant in their camp.  Not an easy way to ever get to herd immunity.

That is an interesting question. We do have anti-vaxxers but I don't think we have as high of a percentage. I think as the majority carry on getting the vaccine and they don't fall over dead, continue to make babies and don't stick together with some irresistible magnetic force. The more reasonable of the timid will step up for the freedom that vaccination gives. Of course those that don't care to venture outside their village won't care (until they wind up in hospital unable to breath), but those who have some interest in travel will soon find "no vaccination no entry" no matter what their state governor may say.

• Like 1

"How Are Things Where YOU Are?"

Not that far from the old normal. No mask mandates even from most big chains, but some individual stores still demand it. One Walgreen demands masking while others don't.

Funny that Host Anne mentioned toilet paper in Post #1. I never understood that either, and those shelves completely emptied at least a week before I heard the first rumblings about covid.

At any rate I'm enjoying all the fresh air again, along with a whole bunch of other people.

I'm actually not sure what to believe about vaxxing. From early January forward the USA was vaccinating (on average) a million a day. On Biden's inauguration day 1.3 million Americans got jabbed. (I remember that because JB was saying he was gonna make a million a day happen. Sorry Joe, somebody beat you to it.) But of course it's a big country.

One thing is where to find it. Some very obvious sources -- like UNC Healthcare, probably the biggest network in NC and a child of the State, public university etc -- just can't get it together. That is very odd. I'm in their network so I checked 3-4 times. I could've driven 100+ miles to a location where they have it, but they have a dozen sites right here in my town including a major hospital. Go figure.

OTOH, every Walgreen's pharmacy I know of is offering AstraZeneca.

Edited by Moonarino

47 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

I thought that was what I saw on their website (after digging) but apparently I was mistaken. No idea.

Can no longer edit so I'm doing it this way...

Walgreen's offers the Pfizer vaccine. FWIW.

Edited by Moonarino

11 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

Can no longer edit so I'm doing it this way...

Walgreen's offers the Pfizer vaccine. FWIW.

Some Walgreens do offer the Pfizer; my wife got her Pfizer at a Walgreens. My Walgreens shot was Moderna. We can't assume that all Walgreens locations are the same; your original comment about AZ may turn out to be true as well once that one is approved...

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

1 hour ago, Moonarino said:

JB was saying he was gonna make a million a day happen. Sorry Joe, somebody beat you to it.) But of course it's a big country.

Of course he meant every single day forward, not just one that happened on ID.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Of course he meant every single day forward, not just one that happened on ID.

No, he was gonna start making a million a day happen. Coz nothing was working right before he came in. Everything was broke.

DW and I finally received our second Moderna dose today. This time, in addition to receiving the pdf proof of vaccination by email during our 15 minute post-jab wait, on our way out we were handed a 13.5 cm x 10 cm slip of paper containing exactly the same information as the pdf. We'll tuck those in our passports for the time being, while retaining the receipt pdfs and covering emails on my iPhone. Now we do the 14-day countdown! 😊

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fouremco said:

DW and I finally received our second Moderna dose today. This time, in addition to receiving the pdf proof of vaccination by email during our 15 minute post-jab wait, on our way out we were handed a 13.5 cm x 10 cm slip of paper containing exactly the same information as the pdf. We'll tuck those in our passports for the time being, while retaining the receipt pdfs and covering emails on my iPhone. Now we do the 14-day countdown! 😊

Same with us....the little slip of confirmation ... paper and email.  I bypassed the Public Health dose this time as our local pharmacy was accepting appointments within 2 days of registration and 3 weeks earlier than the gov't appt.  Hope you and your wife are feeling well today....I was OUT the entire day after innoculation...rec'd Moderna as well.

Edited by Oceangoer2

20 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Awesome news!  Congrats.  Welcome back to freedom.

2 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Same with us....the little slip of confirmation ... paper and email.  I bypassed the Public Health dose this time as our local pharmacy was accepting appointments within 2 days of registration and 3 weeks earlier than the gov't appt.  Hope you and your wife are feeling well today....I was OUT the entire day after innoculation...rec'd Moderna as well.

I've a sore arm, as I did with the first shot, while DW has had no issues at all. I like to think it's because my delts are better developed, so more muscle to hurt.🤣

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Awesome news!  Congrats.  Welcome back to freedom.

Thanks Rick. It really is such a relief. While I wasn't particularly concerned with the initial delay, as there was decent protection from the first shot, the Delta variant's arrival in our region changed that thinking very quickly.

• Like 2