Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

28 minutes ago, techteach said:

There have been so many times I wish we had a sad face emoji in our choices.

It's not all that obvious, but if you scroll all the way to the bottom of the emoji list, there is a "Classic" section with this one called "classic_sad". :classic_sad:

This last couple of years has seen some changes and innovations. We’ve ‘attended’ funerals via Skype, Zoom and FaceTime. Today it was the turn of YouTube Livestream. There’s no longer any statutory limits on numbers, other than the capacity of the venue. But  social distancing is still in place and we knew this was going to be a busy one. We did go along to the cemetery for the burial.

Although cooler than recently, following the warmest New Year on record, it was a glorious sunny day. The daffodils have finally poked their shoots above the soil. A good two months later than last year.

The grass hasn’t really stopped growing this year. Which may be no bad thing as there were a couple of bare patches on the bowling green towards the end of last year. Which reminds me, I must get the mowers serviced.

We have just booked for the March northern lights cruise to Norway. I hope all will be ok - I admit, I'm a bit nervous. However, it is a cruise we have long wanted to do. Also, we will be away for my birthday, which is something I never get to do as the ships are usually all on their world voyages at the end of March. Fingers crossed, all will be ok.

• Like 5

It appears that the Solent Ships You Tube channel covering Southampton will be returning soon. "The Captain" who runs it has been given permission by Associated British Ports to resume. 

Those of us who vicariously watched the Queen's comings and goings will be able to once again. Count me pleased.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

It appears that the Solent Ships You Tube channel covering Southampton will be returning soon. "The Captain" who runs it has been given permission by Associated British Ports to resume. 

Those of us who vicariously watched the Queen's comings and goings will be able to once again. Count me pleased.

As you may have noticed @Bigmike911, after the initial concerns raised by ABP, the captain set up a couple new cameras outside Southampton on a new YouTube channel called "Ahoy Shipmate". That channel has "Cowes Camera" and "Netley Cam" live streams.

At this point it has not yet been decided if the captain will be restoring the Southampton cameras on the old "Solent Ships" channel or migrating them to the new "Ahoy Shipmate" channel. Either way it's excellent news. Keep an eye out for further developments in the coming weeks.

It’s Burns’ Night this evening, and my other half (who is Scottish) and I have had a Burns’ supper at home, with traditional haggis, neeps and tatties. And a dram or two, of course! I couldn’t find his CD of the band of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, so we made do with selections from his extensive Runrig collection as our musical accompaniment instead. For anyone not familiar with them, Runrig were a Scottish rock band formed on Skye and who sang in both English and Scots Gaelic.

I always get a sense of relief when we reach 25th January, as it feels like the beginning of the end of winter, the dark mornings and long nights. The first snowdrops have emerged in our garden and it won’t be long before crocus and daffodils emerge to herald the magnificent season of spring. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kynance said:

I always get a sense of relief when we reach 25th January, as it feels like the beginning of the end of winter, the dark mornings and long nights. The first snowdrops have emerged in our garden and it won’t be long before crocus and daffodils emerge to herald the magnificent season of spring. 

I think you're being a bit optimistic there. If only..... 🙂

According to reports, we're due snow next month and winter doesn't officially end until 20th March and only began a month ago.

I hear you @Ray66. Tonight is going to be our coldest night yet this winter with a predicted low of -17°F (-27°C). There will be plenty of winter remaining here.

Nonetheless I do like @Kynance's attitude about this being the beginning of the end of winter. Because of the lag of the seasons, on average the coldest temperatures tend to occur about one month after the winter solstice.

The climatological data for where I live indicates on average our coldest day is January 22nd. So, on that basis I do try to be optimistic about this time of year being the beginning of the end of winter, with warmer temperatures on the way (on average) from this point.

• Like 1

I take our grandson to school each day and it was such a joy to pull out of the garage and not be in total darkness this week. Love the sunrise by 7:30 a.m. We aren’t nearly as cold, just in the 30’s at night. I grew up with the below freezing temperatures and would hate to go back. Stay warm @bluemarble.

13 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I hear you @Ray66. Tonight is going to be our coldest night yet this winter with a predicted low of -17°F (-27°C). There will be plenty of winter remaining here.

Nonetheless I do like @Kynance's attitude about this being the beginning of the end of winter. Because of the lag of the seasons, on average the coldest temperatures tend to occur about one month after the winter solstice.

The climatological data for where I live indicates on average our coldest day is January 22nd. So, on that basis I do try to be optimistic about this time of year being the beginning of the end of winter, with warmer temperatures on the way (on average) from this point.

We are supposed to have one more night of 'near' freezing on Friday night, Saturday morning. I still have my potted citrus swathed in Plankets, but I water about every other day when we don't get rain. We got about 2 inches of slow rain all day Monday, so everything is looking good.

As I was walking in the Garden on Tuesday to assign my gardener tasks, I noticed that the deciduous trees have big fat buds on them, a promise of things to come. My big Shumard Red Oak in the front garden is hanging on to a few of it's glorious copper red leaves. It truly makes living in a forest a wonderful thing and one of the few 'constants' in  very strange life over the past two years. 

I look forward to this time next month as I drive through the Woodland, TX on my chores to see the forest beginning to show the green "mist' of spring. The Woodlands was carved out of a forest, and the roads cut through the forest. One cannot see the houses or shops from the main roads, but the shops are marked by signs about two feet high at the edge of the road. It is truly country.

Edited by Bigmike911

I've noticed some of the flowering trees here in Philadelphia starting to bud. What truly amazed me, however, was (before our crossing) seeing daffodils blooming on the Isle of Wight in December.  Do they always bloom in December instead of (what I might expect) March or April?  For someone in a similarly-temperate climate in the states, do your bulbs bloom mid-winter instead of the spring?

IMG_20211212_055240_209.jpg

• Like 1

We are freezing here in Florida. The temp during the day is in the 40s(f)-50s(f). We’re bundled up in long sleeve sweatshirts, long trousers, SOCKS! I wore a real jacket and a stocking cap to walk the dog. BRRR

We’re wondering what we were thinking booking a voyage to Northern Norway in November. YIKES!

• Like 2

Oddly enough, I had been out to the garden earlier and taken a photo of our one brave snowdrop. The only one out so far! Last year we had loads by this time.

Having then read everyone's comments on the emergence of spring bulbs, I feel I should share my, slightly pathetic looking, solitary snowdrop with you all.

20220126_152501.jpg

• Like 3

Agreed @Tonopah

It is quite chilly in FL… yes, we all know that we do not have nearly the low temps of other places… but when it gets cold here it feels very cold!

Because it was chilly today we decided to go see some manatees near Tampa at a viewing area (when it gets cold the manatees swim where the water is warmer… so you can see lots of them)

So that was fun.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Those daffodils were definitely ahead of their time, we usually get a good display for St David's Day on March 1st.

I haven't had to de-ice my car this week but the wind has been chilly. Not by @bluemarble's standards of course.

My phone has just reminded me that there were daffodils out in Pembrokeshire on this day last year !

IMG_20210127_123010358.jpg

• Like 1

Nine degrees F here the morning in eastern PA.  I spend my days commuting between my hotel and the hospital where my sister had open heart surgery on Monday.  Seems to be doing well but still in open heart ICU.  They only allow two designated visitors for the duration, and only one at a time.  So I alternate with her #2 daughter who works in the hospital system.  My greatest entertainment is checking in on the app to see how my long awaited solar system is working.  It took over six months from the start of installation to get it activated.  It seems to have a learning curve, as do I.  I can hardly wait for June when I will have 14 or so hours of daylight, instead of 9.5.  EM

I had the faintest is-it-there-or-isn't-it stripe on my home antigen/LFT this morning. By noon I had gotten a PCR test at my hospital's testing center and I'll know more in a couple of days. No symptoms at this point; double Pfizer + boosted. GF is negative so far; she's due to fly to Atlanta Saturday AM so I guess her son will take her to the airport rather than me. She'll test again Sat AM before heading to the airport. We've been at our respective homes since Monday morning.

I have a few different brands of tests in my stockpile so tomorrow morning I'll test again with one that I read is more sensitive to Omicron than most.

Best outcome would be a negative PCR from the hospital by Friday night so I can still see GF off.

• Like 4