WESTERDAM IN SAN DIEGO & MAASDAM

St Pete Cruiser

Westerdam replaced DIsney Wonder at the pier today.  Wonder has been here for several days, but went out to sea last evening.  There is room for 2 ships at that pier, so maybe the Port of San Diego only wants to deal with one at a time right now. (Meanwhile Disney Wonder is supposed to be here until 19 April.)  Also scheduled to be in port here soon are Maasdam and Celebrity Eclipse, and maybe a few others for resupply.

I have a great view of the harbor, so I see all the activity.  Sad that the only near-term passenger activity involves disembarking from Maasdam and Eclipse.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ddr said:

Westerdam replaced DIsney Wonder at the pier today.  Wonder has been here for several days, but went out to sea last evening.  There is room for 2 ships at that pier, so maybe the Port of San Diego only wants to deal with one at a time right now. (Meanwhile Disney Wonder is supposed to be here until 19 April.)  Also scheduled to be in port here soon are Maasdam and Celebrity Eclipse, and maybe a few others for resupply.

I have a great view of the harbor, so I see all the activity.  Sad that the only near-term passenger activity involves disembarking from Maasdam and Eclipse.

Thanks for the "on location" confirmation. 

• Like 1

Where have Maasdam and Eclipse come from?

And hoping all are well as they disembark.  I doubt that all are US residents, so I hope that those traveling to distant lands can still find flights, and those coming home to the US can find ways to get home as flights are cancelled and hotels are closing.  m-- 

The Maasdam will park and stay 2 more days.

No guests will be allowed off of the ship until Friday morning.....and about 400 guests will remain onboard until Saturday.

Flight cancellations seem to be the issue.

The Eclipse is not expected until Tuesday. 

David

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Where have Maasdam and Eclipse come from?

And hoping all are well as they disembark.  I doubt that all are US residents, so I hope that those traveling to distant lands can still find flights, and those coming home to the US can find ways to get home as flights are cancelled and hotels are closing.  m-- 

Maasdam has been sailing out of Auckland, NZ and Sydney, Aus since early this year and came from French Polynesia two weeks ago. She was denied permission to disembark her pax in Hilo, Hi (even though there are no COVID-19 symptoms onboard) and subsequently conducted a bunkering/provisioning stop in Honolulu.

Can't tell you about Eclipse and the Greeks because I dunno

• Like 1

Thanks for the update John.  I knew Maasdam has been in the south Pacific but did not realize she had been able to port most recently in French Polynesia.  May all souls aboard her remain healthy and may CA and the US welcome her return.  Maureen

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 3

The Celebrity ship was refused docking in a couple of countries and is steaming to SAN Diego - arrival the 30th.  The cruise line has chartered planes to passengers home.  I have friends on board so I get regular updates.  No sickness, they crossed the equator yesterday and had a ceremony - a glass fish and no kissing it!

Thanks for the photo.  Westerdam has already left and is headed for PV, Mexico now.  HAL is burning thru a lot of money these days with no income from guests and ships with crews still on the move.  I don't see them returning to business next month as originally hoped.

Really great to hear that people are able to finally get off the ships.  I really hope everyone appreciates, now and in the future, how COOPERATIVE and HOSPITABLE San Diego has been.  So many places turned ships away.  Remember to bring your business back to San Diego and the fine people of this City once things go back to normal.  We who live here have "welcomed" people onto our military bases, while quarantined as well, and port during a very contagious time.  All other ports have turned people away.  As a native San Diegian this is important to me that people realize this.  Safe travels everyone and hope to be on a cruise sailing soon!  We would of been visiting Hawaii today on the Hawaii/South Pacific cruise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, VacationCharlene said:

Really great to hear that people are able to finally get off the ships.  I really hope everyone appreciates, now and in the future, how COOPERATIVE and HOSPITABLE San Diego has been.  So many places turned ships away. 

I agree and maybe some of that 8 billion dollars that finds it way to Florida can find it's way to San Diego.  A wonderful place to catch a cruise.  

• Like 1

Since the Westerdam was going to go to Juneau and is now going to PV.  It makes me wonder if HAL might be thinking of doing some Alaska cruises from SD, using Ensenada as the foreign port until Canada re-opens.  

These are very interesting times.