Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

It’s finally picking up.  Caden and Aubrey is enjoying answering the door.

image.thumb.jpeg.e4c81d4d138351e58f9202977f5c9532.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8202f5e6a18f2ff7e22ac0bd4d2ab584.jpeg

The princess driver sitting on the floor looks like she is just aching to get her hands on the wheel of a car!

24 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

My step-daughter has lived in Houston for 5 years now. It took her awhile to get used to getting  called "ma'am"-ed. It was an age thing in her mind, only 80 and older should be called ma'am. But she used to it now. Sprinkles her conversations with "y'all" as much as possible.

But bless her heart, she'll wear the NY Yankees gear I buy her and considers herself a proud New Yorker.  Funny story, when she first moved to Houston and started making friends, they all had moved there from other places such as Oregon or Michigan or Mexico. She'd say "Nobody here is from here". She was wondering if anyone was ever born and raised in Houston. Eventually she found some.

When I started work in TX, I had younger co-workers than me call me Miss Bonnie.  I had to put a stop to that.  Different culture I know. I told them I appreciate the respect but we are all working together on the same team and it makes me feel like they are putting me on a different level than they are. 

We're in TX 18 years now and I will never say y'all or fixin'.  I do call lots of women ma'am so some of that TXese rubbed off on me.

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Coralc said:

We were hungry when we went grocery shopping on Thursday. The checker said, "That's a lot of candy. :classic_biggrin:" So last year we had 0 kids. On good years we have maybe 15. 

We usually get average between 110-125, although there are some "repeat" customers with a different mask or cape.

Last year was the lowest ever with 75. I think the town may have had a covid-safe trunk-or-treat event  that drew some kids away.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, singinalot said:

Ps @Sea Dog I started decorating last night

A71636BE-DDC5-4151-B155-9B4AF1BC96C9.thumb.jpeg.ef04ff3cf34c3c325bf08eb71cbb03db.jpeg

496ADB3E-0C08-4147-93E3-0F8E0D25DEFC.thumb.jpeg.8e0d795dbf5fd26f43f9da15face3385.jpeg

43972D68-605F-4762-A91B-310701596F64.thumb.jpeg.bd14035ed186decef3d86ca5f6593350.jpeg

image.jpg

For a second, I thought you might have moved into my neighborhood.

Most people put up their decoration around Thanksgiving time. The earliest is this one house that usually has it up by Veterans Day (Nov 11). This year, he outdid himself by having the outdoor lights up by Oct 25. At first, I thought maybe he was using his Christmas lights as Halloween light. But nope, wreaths are up on the door and the Christmas tree is on the window the next day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, George C said:

Gracie brother Joebob image.thumb.jpeg.53ae574e2d6da3dbdcbf76dca0543cbd.jpeg

He is beautiful! 

Did your Outback get recalled for the fuel pump issue? We still have to take ours in. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Same here.

The moment I've stepped from the train at Paddington Station in 1976, I felt at home, and still feel, ever since.

It was the Earl's Court station for me coming in from Heathrow. I stepped out of the station and felt so at ease... and excited.

London is pretty easy to get to from here. There are several flights every day from Boston.

• Like 3

So, the Northern Lights are supposed to be visible tonight in NYC to Portland Oregon. In fact, as far south as Raleigh, NC could see some on the horizon. 

Now if only the damn clouds get out of the way!

• Like 2

Just now, HBE4 said:

So, the Northern Lights are supposed to be visible tonight in NYC to Portland Oregon. In fact, as far south as Raleigh, NC could see some on the horizon. 

Thanks for informing me about what I am missing.😐

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

I saw the Northern Lights once when I was a child in Seattle, WA. My dad came and woke me up in my pajamas to come and see them shimmering and weaving and we sat on the milk box on the front porch. (It was that long ago that we still received milk deliveries.:classic_smile:) It was a truly amazing big curtain in the sky and a very fond memory. :classic_biggrin: It is really cloudy here tonight.  

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I am totally going to use these lines. Classic!

You obviously are a really special person, or your fellow employees would not have celebrated with you like that. God bless you in your retirement. ❤️

Edited by Etta1213
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

It’s a whole city thing.  Little Rock is doing it tonight too.

Caden let us know how many "customers " we have had.  😂 

Imo trick or treating on a Saturday night is better than a sunday night with school the next day.   I wished our area did that.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I saw this on local news but unfortunately did not see anything last night.  I guess it was too cloudy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

WOW! What a day. I am still on cloud 9 from the celebration I had on my last day at work at KMBC-TV. Let me first preface by letting you know something about me. I am a Christmas freak. Christmas is my favorite holiday. I decorate the house to the max with 7 trees and even a animated light show in the yard with a 12 foot animated tree.

Now on to my day. I was first greeted as I came downstairs to a display that my wife Linda set up.

IMG_6260.thumb.jpg.fc0f0e7cfab69b3ad29995b3508ba1b0.jpg

On my way to work It finally hit me this would be the last drive in to work. It was kind of sad in a way.

Once I got into the building I was greeted by a bunch of signs.

1198100282_IMG_61682.jpg.be66080ecd3c92a175ebdc50fd923823.jpg

And then this.

396558930_IMG_05912.thumb.PNG.9bf2b13d06c940b7959c4d013ea2593c.PNG

My coworkers had decorated the whole newsroom in Christmas decorations.

969539519_IMG_61732.jpg.30eb213ce633b70dedc64f6d3a810076.jpg

Complete with custom ornaments of me and my career.

666855658_IMG_61742.jpg.32c45da532a6beab00f04fadeeef6323.jpg

I was greeted by morning co-anchor Cody in cruise attire along with executive producer Cara in my standard photog vest.

IMG_6170.jpg.021bb946073989e5bd610ca13b1c2a32.jpg

I edit all the video that goes into our noon newscast. At the end of the noon show our anchor gave a special shoutout and tribute to me on my retirement. I cried.

Anchor Rob and the noon crew.

IMG_6204.jpg.b10ec2af3fc958836490900205c6a33b.jpg

Morning crew with my closest friend Donna with co anchor Cody and Meteorologist Katie

IMG_6202.jpg.423ea8f7dfbbbe338d409743fafd387a.jpg

That afternoon was the station sendoff.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9a6b.thumb.jpg.3d9968637e31f206bdb5abc2292f6256.jpg

Everyone wore Christmas sweaters or my signature look with a photog vest. Even editor Viola put on a fake mustache to look like me.

IMG_1768.jpg.947c6ac5ecf1bf484165edb4ab337917.jpg

General Manager Sarah and Chief Meteorologist Bryan with their Christmas sweaters.

IMG_5925.jpg.44f7796375c9204db2e14ad452106818.jpg

I gave a farewell speech and then I was presented with some amazing gifts.

IMG_6251.jpg.ad9dfd648c5b779b1a00ceb9c07904cf.jpg

Including a incredible book with pictures of my career and well wishes.

IMG_6259.jpg.1c76f0888e5d0eeea51aca2f43b4e9cb.jpg

And a beautiful inscribed compass to take on my cruise.

IMG_6257.jpg.ea436d522b557b352dc8546d1ed34c9b.jpg

YewCOulaQ1yoRXy4MsFK4w_thumb_9a7b.thumb.jpg.61f27d4371c31867d87b2e8154ba070e.jpg

And the highlight. My edit suite which had my office for over 10 years after we moved into a brand new building now has a plaque.

IMG_6248.jpg.ec65183c0081c91b38dc3908e4264d8c.jpg

An extraordinary day filled with joy, tears and an outpouring of love. I am very fortunate to have worked with some very talented people who are very dedicated to making a difference in our community. Despite what people may say about "the media," we do excellent non biased journalism to help our community be better informed, educated and alerted to things happening at this moment. I addressed the staff with this theme.

"We are a family. We are friends. If you love who you work with, you will love where you work."

My day finished, I left the job that I have done for over 40 years. Linda and my son Jonathan and his girlfriend then had a wonderful dinner at one of KC's finest steakhouses and then hurried home so I could watch the latest episode of "Below Deck."

Next week pack for our cruise and post my first ever semi live thread. Looking forward to taking all of you on my retirement cruise. Thread will drop on Tuesday.

Cheers and thank you to all who have expressed your well wishes. Just like my "work family", I consider all of you my "cruise family."

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9a69.jpg

Welcome to the rest of your life my friend!  Very impressive party.  It says all that you need to know about what you mean to them (especially that bottle of Taylor Small Batch...very nice).  I have only found one negative about being retired.  If I was having a bad round of golf, I used to be able to say that a bad day of golf still beats a good day of work.  Can't say that anymore.  Now comes the LOOOONG wait until your cruise starts.  Let's get this party started!

Seeing Ron Burgundy on one of your gifts brings up a question...are there a lot of Anchorman jokes/references/quotes tossed around in a real news studio?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I'm so busy doing nothing I don't have time to do anything. We still rent space in a multi dealer antique shop but that's no where near a job.

I like to use "I don't have anything to do but I have all day to do it."

• Like 3