Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

17 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

DH still has excellent shirts bought there. I was very disappointed last time in Boston when I've found out Filene's is gone...

Now I'm trying to remember another memorable fashion store/outlet with excellent bargains -- it was between 16th and 17th street in NY, may be on 7th avenue (?), may be it was called Lowes or something....

Help!!

I can't get it out of my mind now... Last time for sure I bought there in 1998, and may be, just may be, January 2001.

It was Loehmann’s. There was a branch near Orlando at one time. Probably 25 years ago. 

E170560A-B4F9-468F-8CFA-502C8EE5D81D.jpegFunny, I get the light bulb over the head, and was excited about remembering. So I posted the name. 
Then I see I’m late to the party. 
Story of my life!!

Edited by jagsfan
I was a Johnny come lately!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I actually googled almost the same but left out the word "discount". 

Indeed, the "discount" made all the difference.

I was stuck on "outlet", and that's why it didn't work.

All good ideas come at night....😉

Such a relief... I hate it when I can't remember things and I have no one to help me.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, island lady said:

But I WAS poor people.  😉  And my Dad fried Spam with eggs on Sundays.  😄 

Same here. We were so poor my mom made Mac-n-Cheeses (always baked) (along with most things we ate) from scratch. I also ate a lot of baloney sandwiches. I still love Mac-n-Cheese and baloney sandwiches. 

42 minutes ago, island lady said:

And she would be right.....what exactly IS powdered cheese?   Some preservative in it that could be stored in the bunkers next to the cases of Spam?    And Bucky just said... "next to the 1943 Sea Rats" .....that were your delicacies in Nam?"  😄 

Agree. But better than the rice bugs. Not speaking from eating one. 🤢 Ask Bucky. 

22 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Same here. We were so poor my mom made Mac-n-Cheeses (always baked) (along with most things we ate) from scratch. I also ate a lot of baloney sandwiches. I still love Mac-n-Cheese and baloney sandwiches. 

Agree. But better than the rice bugs. Not speaking from eating one. 🤢 Ask Bucky. 

The "rice bugs" he remembers were huge cockroaches they kept as pets.  😄  They would put one in a glass jar, seal it with no food or water, to see how long it would live.  Bucky's was still alive 9 months later, but had no idea how much longer it lived...he gave it to another guy when he got transferred.  😵

What he DID have to watch out for was gravel in the rice.  The locals would cut the rice stalks and lay them in the road to dry and break the husks when vehicles ran over them.  Can imagine what else was collected afterwards.  🤢

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

I am reading Cruise Wizard's Roll Call thread for today's(7/3) Celebrity Edge cruise.  It sounds like it's the first one???  I think they cancelled the one you quoted?

If "they" means Cruise Wizard, they are very much on the July 26 (today's) sailing. I am following that.

Plan to watch sailaway on webcam.

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

The "rice bugs" he remembers were huge cockroaches they kept as pets.  😄  They would put one in a glass jar, seal it with no food or water, to see how long it would live.  Bucky's was still alive 9 months later, but had no idea how much longer it lived...he gave it to another guy when he got transferred.  😵

What he DID have to watch out for was gravel in the rice.  The locals would cut the rice stalks and lay them in the road to dry and break the husks when vehicles ran over them.  Can imagine what else was collected afterwards.  🤢

I remember they would eat the rice bugs (and other bugs)🤢 and also chew betel nut. Turned their teeth black. 

1 hour ago, George C said:

Sunny day in Dallas will be 95 , still working on my tan , will join Cruise Wizard in a week, can’t wait to check on Celebrity Edge . Saw a report on Edge it was sailing with only 36 % occupancy today , not sure what the occupancy will be next week.

1195 today. Not counting the stowaways that may be hiding somewhere.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, island lady said:

Now I'm glad we never ate rice growing up. I might never be able to eat it again!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cruisingpeople said:

This was the same for us. However, in 9th grade you were considered a Freshman even though you went to the Junior High. (We had 2 of them in town). Once you got to the High School itself, 10th, 11th and 12th grade were classified as your Sophomore, Junior and Senior years. It's been so long ago, (yes, I'm that old), that I'm not sure if that is still the case today.

On another note, we are at our hotel in Nassau anxiously waiting for the Adventure of the Seas to arrive tomorrow morning. Our last cruise was in November, 2019 and we can't wait to get on her. There are a couple of people from this thread that will be on board. We hope to meet up with them at some point in time.

Have a wonderful time and remember that as old as you may believe you are it is very likely that I am older.😀

17 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I remember they would eat the rice bugs (and other bugs)🤢 and also chew betel nut. Turned their teeth black. 

Yeah, he remembers well about the betel nut, but never tried it...indeed black teeth.  It is a type of narcotic...addictive.  Of course that was one of the mildest drugs.  😮 

He "fondly" remembers going to the street vendors for fried Cicadas.  Had to pull the legs off first, or they would stick in your teeth.  😄 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

If "they" means Cruise Wizard, they are very much on the July 26 (today's) sailing. I am following that.

Plan to watch sailaway on webcam.

Already chatted with Gary on his roll call thread.  His shuttle to the ship was picking him up right now.  Sooo envious!!  😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, sgmn said:

Our kids have nursery from 3 to 5, then infant school to 7, then junior school  to 11, then secondary or senior from 12 to 16.  At 16 you can either stay on at school and do two years at sixth form, or go to a Sixth form college or tech collage.  University is usually 18 to 21, though apprenticeships are coming back into popularity. 

You can leave school at 16 but you have to do some kind of full time further education or apprenticeship until you are 18

Proms are a relatively new thing over here.  We didn't have them but my kids generation did 

My high school did not have proms while I was there.The school was built in 1956 and the Principal cam from a school where a student died at a prom .He decided that his new school will not have proms as long as he is there.

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

You are OK here...just need to be a bit more careful in Asia.  😉 

I like sticky rice plain or with butter, salt and pepper. We ate a lot of rice when I was growing up. I guess that's another one of "those poor people" foods. 🙄😉 How's moving day going? Enjoying the trip you are taking us along on.

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Jack and I put on our thinking caps and even with Google help, we couldn't think of a store in that location.  We were long gone from Manhattan by that time.  The area you mentioned has lots of vintage shops. Was it a large store?  I'll continue to search.  Now I want to know!

I worked in that area more than 30 years and the only clothing store I remember from that area was Barney’s.

1 minute ago, dani negreanu said:

Found it -- Loehmann's....

Don't tell me you don't remember it 😉

I remember the first Lehman’s on Bedford Avenue in Crown Heights,Brooklyn .I do not remember the one on Seventh Avenue in Manhattan .I just googled it and it was in the same building as Barney’s so I am sort of right.😀

• Like 1