Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Hello Dani

I have been catching up on your thread for the past few minutes.,When I read your question about the store in Manhattan, Loehmans popped into my head. 

My mother was a fan of the store, but I think she frequented the one in Brooklyn in her single days in the 1940s ,looking for chic bargains.

Loehmans opened a store in Rego Park ( about forty minutes from Manhattan) I think in the late seventies/ early eighties. I recall going to that store with my mother and she was disappointed in what was being offered. But, then again,she was quite a bit older than her younger shopping days !

I was not very comfortable with Loehmans’ dressing room situation - just one big room really.

Besides the shops on Fifth Ave.( Altman’s , Lord and Taylor and even Lerner’s), I did quite a bit of shopping at Macy’s and A&S stores in nearby suburban malls. Unfortunately, of all those stores, only Macy’s remains in business.

Now, especially since Covid, my shopping is done mostly online and yes, Amazon has been getting quite a bit of my business lately !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

On our last cruise out of San Francisco to Hawaii on Grand Princess we stayed 2 nights pre Cruise in SF and Pauline bought 12 dresses in Ross.

She was very Happy 😍

Did she buy an extra suitcase too?  I would never have enough room for 12 more dresses with how I overpack.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Blueberry Coffee Cake day!

1706095491_Blueberrycoffee.thumb.jpeg.ac5a9248fd0944f82f180221435614bf.jpeg

Looks Delicious!

Next week we head back home from our shore house.  The only things I'm looking forward to getting home is to see how many garden, peach tree and blueberry bushes are doing.  Hopefully ready for me to pick and do some baking.

Our cat sitter neighbor has been tending to water our flowers, etc and I had set up the sprinkler timer for our garden beds.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

I was not very comfortable with Loehmans’ dressing room situation - just one big room really.

Thanks.

In my "quest" for the store's elusive name, I've checked this morning labels from my purchases (1998).... hoping to find a clue.

YES, they're all there....

Luckily for me, I've only bought shirts, one size fits all, same shirts and label that I've eyed, longingly, before, at Bloomingdale's...

Having tried one there, just to see how I'll look in a 100$ shirt (mind you, 1998 prices...), I grabbed them at Loehmann's without hesitation and a trip to the communal dressing room 😉

The same day, I've found excellent bargain items at Burlington Coat Factory.

No luck with Century 21, though.

• Like 1

Those shirts were quite a find! 

My hubby and I found some good coats at Burlington Coat Factory,although they do seem all types of clothing.

The store near us - about an hour away,has closed though.

I was just reminded of a “bargain” shopping trip that my mother and I made when I was about ten years old ( I think).  We went to a department store,Alexander’s, that was near Forest Hills.  My mother found a parking spot on a side street and we happily made our way to the store with my Mom remarking about how lucky she was to get the parking spot so close to the store.

Our shopping was a success, with finding a number of Summer outfits for me. No easy task as I was a bit chubby in those days. My Mom was also happy with the prices of the items and was pleased with the money she had saved.

When we got to the car, the first thing we noticed was there were no other cars parked near us. The second thing we noticed was a parking ticket on the windshield! It was alternate side of the street parking,and we were not supposed to park on that side of the street ! We looked up for a street sign notification and realized there was a sign obscured by a very leafy tree.

My Mom realized that all the money she saved on our purchases would go to paying the parking fine. We had a good laugh about the whole situation. Later that night, when my Dad got home and she told him the story, he reminded us that with shopping there are really no true bargains!

• Like 2

I just watched the sail away from Celebrity from FLL. I wish I could been aboard. Watched several Vloggers live on YT. The guys from JJ Cruise were live. They were showing ABC's Geo Benitez doing some interviews for a piece that will air on GMA on Monday morning. Also a crew from NBC was there and is going to stay on board for several days.  Also saw Michael Bayley walking around doing interviews also. Interesting that some of these vloggers were on Adventure two weeks ago. They must make a decent income from You Tube to pay for these cruises. If I was younger and more motivated I would do that.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Hello Dani

I have been catching up on your thread for the past few minutes.,When I read your question about the store in Manhattan, Loehmans popped into my head. 

My mother was a fan of the store, but I think she frequented the one in Brooklyn in her single days in the 1940s ,looking for chic bargains.

Loehmans opened a store in Rego Park ( about forty minutes from Manhattan) I think in the late seventies/ early eighties. I recall going to that store with my mother and she was disappointed in what was being offered. But, then again,she was quite a bit older than her younger shopping days !

Besides the shops on Fifth Ave.( Altman’s , Lord and Taylor and even Lerner’s), I did quite a bit of shopping at Macy’s and A&S stores in nearby suburban malls. Unfortunately, of all those stores, only Macy’s remains in business.

Now, especially since Covid, my shopping is done mostly online and yes, Amazon has been getting quite a bit of my business lately !

I worked at A&S for a few years in IT , in late 1970’s , I lived less than a mile from the Brooklyn store , so that worked out great. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, island lady said:

But I WAS poor people.  😉  And my Dad fried Spam with eggs on Sundays.  😄 

We were too when I was little. My dad took the screens out of the windows so he could shoot squirrels. Fried squirrel was the only meat we ate while my dad was in school.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I think you mean June 26. Yes, he's on today's sailing,  I got July 3 since that's the thread he's "reporting" on. 

Yes, I meant June 26.

All the excitement got the better of me! I watched the sailaway. Gary and Mary were on their balcony. Red shorts and navy t shirt waving with a white napkin/towel (?)

The ship got a great sendoff with the horns and water cannons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

On our last cruise out of San Francisco to Hawaii on Grand Princess we stayed 2 nights pre Cruise in SF and Pauline bought 12 dresses in Ross.

She was very Happy 😍

Happy wife, happy life.😊😊

And thanks for giving business to the USA.😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

No luck with Century 21, though.

Forever 21? I've never found anything there. Younger styles for smaller people. I used to really like Loehman's.  :classic_biggrin: Century 21 is a real estate company. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Coralc

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

She was very Happy 😍

Are you serious? Did she buy a suitcase too or excess baggage? Not sure savings are that great?

1 hour ago, George C said:

I worked at A&S for a few years in IT , in late 1970’s , I lived less than a mile from the Brooklyn store , so that worked out great. 

I had a pre college summer job for Korvettes in downtown Brooklyn.I think I was earning $49 a week.

• Like 1