Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Omg, that’s funny. That’s probably why they went out of business. If they don’t know what states have stores no telling what else they didn’t know. Do you live near the border of a state that does have them?

They were struggling before COVID. 
By the time stores started opening again, it was too late. 
The Stein Mart headquarters building here in Jax is on the market. 
An online only company has bought the name. The merchandise quality evidently is not nearly the same. I read a review that said the merchandise is not in stock, so when people order, there’s a long wait for shipping. 
It’s not David Stein’s company at all. 

• Like 1

Good afternoon everyone.

It is currently 58°F and cloudy.

It was a nice church service this morning and we are sitting at the beach car park looking out to sea.

There is a car boot sale going on in the field next to us(flea market)

Screenshot_20210627_120452.jpg

16247931851407560216302923914681.jpg

• Like 10

Didn't quite know where to post this, but figured alot of people on here might be from Florida and know the Miami Beach area well.

I'm sure many have been seeing the terrible  building collaspe in Surfside, Florida.

Has any reports any of you have seen that there is another building built exactly like the one that collasped just 3 buildings from that one?

Has anyone seen any reports of anyone mentioning that? You would think maybe they should be getting people out of that building also until they know  if it is sound or what at least caused the first building to collaspe.

Not sure I would feel comfortable staying in that building now would you.

Here is a link that shows the 2 buildings which look exactly alike?

One is between 88th and 87th street, other one between 89th and 88th streets.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Surfside,+FL/@25.8736347,-80.1205699,340m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88d9ad7b1ecc1fcf:0x27e66fa18544ed8c!8m2!3d25.8784284!4d-80.1256007

I just think it is odd none of the news casts I have seen has even mentioned it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

We have something called rice pudding which is a dessert made with  pudding rice , sugar and milk, usually served with a dollop of jam.

Haven't had it for years, happy memories of Sunday lunch as a child 

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/a-nice-rice-pudding

Yes I forgot about rice pudding as a desert or snack.  Several years ago I tried to make for my Dad who loved rice pudding but I goofed as it didnt look or taste like rice pudding.

I just never heard of rice with butter and brown sugar that @island lady said her Mom would make as a meal for dinner.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Didn't quite know where to post this, but figured alot of people on here might be from Florida and know the Miami Beach area well.

I'm sure many have been seeing the terrible  building collaspe in Surfside, Florida.

Has any reports any of you have seen that there is another building built exactly like the one that collasped just 3 buildings from that one?

Has anyone seen any reports of anyone mentioning that? You would think maybe they should be getting people out of that building also until they know  if it is sound or what at least caused the first building to collaspe.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Surfside,+FL/@25.8736347,-80.1205699,340m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88d9ad7b1ecc1fcf:0x27e66fa18544ed8c!8m2!3d25.8784284!4d-80.1256007

I just think it is odd none of the news casts I have seen has even mentioned it?

I think there is another tower that is still standing.  Our news showed the fire captain taking a call from Rick Scott urging him to evacuate the other tower.  I am not sure if it is completely evacuated yet or not.  There have been reports that this particular condo had structural problems for years before.

13 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I just saw moments on morning news where they are now checking the safety of other buildings in the area as there are safety concerns with those buildings too.

Hopefully they find more survivors in the existing building collapse and get inspectors to other buildings asap.

Btw, we were at Mustache Bill's again this morning.  Today I had the fisherman's special with Blueberry pancakes and scrapple.   Its alot of food and I feel like I would sink if I got on a boat to fish!

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I just saw moments on morning news where they are now checking the safety of other buildings in the area as there are safety concerns with those buildings too.

Hopefully they find more survivors in the existing building collapse and get inspectors to other buildings asap.

Btw, we were at Mustache Bill's again this morning.  Today I had the fisherman's special with Blueberry pancakes and scrape.   Its alot of food and I feel like I would sink if I got on a boat to fish!

Oh how I would love that right now !!

10 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

We were fogged in all day. Went for a bike ride and got caught in a 20 minute downpour.😏 Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny. Hopefully the fog bank is gone.

The fog bank is still here.😏

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

- click on your username (top right hand corner

- account settings

- notification settings

Adjust your preferences on;

- Mentions and my content

- Followed content

Thanks I'll have to give it a try.

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

They were struggling before COVID. 
By the time stores started opening again, it was too late. 
The Stein Mart headquarters building here in Jax is on the market. 
An online only company has bought the name. The merchandise quality evidently is not nearly the same. I read a review that said the merchandise is not in stock, so when people order, there’s a long wait for shipping. 
It’s not David Stein’s company at all. 

I have only been in there 1 time. They were out of my way so I didn't bother.

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Signed in as in logged onto CC? I’m always logged on so maybe that makes a difference? I tried looking, but I don’t see where I can turn off the emails for when someone quotes me. 

Account----> account settings----> other setting----> notifications. Just make sure you don't have things set for e-mail.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ownedbypets said:

We were too when I was little. My dad took the screens out of the windows so he could shoot squirrels. Fried squirrel was the only meat we ate while my dad was in school.

OMG...too funny!   I tried squirrel once...not a fan. 😜   Now if he found a rabbit bouncing around out there...yeah...much better.  😉   

I could never, ever shoot one of those now, but Dad did take us rabbit hunting once when I was a kid. They were just too cute for me to go with him any longer. 😞

Favorite though was Pheasant hunting...but had to be careful of shotgun bbs in the meat.  😮 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes I forgot about rice pudding as a desert or snack.  Several years ago I tried to make for my Dad who loved rice pudding but I goofed as it didnt look or taste like rice pudding.

I just never heard of rice with butter and brown sugar that @island lady said her Mom would make as a meal for dinner.  

I did though, love rice pudding!  Never really met a pudding I did not like.  😄  

16 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have notifications turned off. I don't get any CC e-mails... unless a moderator is on my case.

I have ad blocker, and also "unsubscribed" from CC emails years ago.  Never get any of them.  🙂 

57 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Has any reports any of you have seen that there is another building built exactly like the one that collapsed just 3 buildings from that one?

Has anyone seen any reports of anyone mentioning that?

50 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I think there is another tower that is still standing.  Our news showed the fire captain taking a call from Rick Scott urging him to evacuate the other tower.  I am not sure if it is completely evacuated yet or not.  There have been reports that this particular condo had structural problems for years before.

This tragedy is avidly followed here in Israel. It seems that some of the missing persons have family and friends in Israel.

Yes, another identical building was mentioned and it was suggested that the may be occupants will move to an alternative dwelling until this building will undergo a through check.

I also know that the Israeli army has a very specialized unit dealing with earthquakes and a team was sent to help the Miami authorities.

Sadly, time is running out....

• Like 7

We got home a little after 7 last night.  The trip home went off without a hitch. While I posted about my initial experiences, the rest of the week was more of the same.

The final antigen test did show 2 teens did test positive, but nobody else was affected. One teen had mild symptoms, the other didn't.  They were flown back to Fl from Freeport on a chartered jet.

We did have some excitement one night when , about 11:30,  the general alarm went off.  The hallways filled with people heading for their muster stations, many with their life jackets.

I didn't even think about that, it has been a long time since we were on a ship that had the jackets in the room.

About the time we got to the stairs, the Captain came on the speakers and said the alarm was a malfunction, go back to what you were doing.  

If we were to do this again, and we are thinking about doing it again, what would we do different. 

I would definitely come a day early.  The Nassau airport I would hope would be less of a zoo on a Friday. But since I have now actually experienced being there once, I don't see any issues in going without the transfers.

The JetBlue flight from FLL worked just fine, but I would not want to depart on them.  When we  got there yesterday, the place was a zoo,  huge lines.  Our return flight was on Bahamasair,    and there was no one in line. I guess that was the advantage of returning to FLL.  

Clearing customs and immigration was a piece of cake. Our flight home was at 4:30, so we went through about 2:00 and there was no line,  but they do have Global Entry kiosks , but we didn't use them.  

The terminal area we were in has plenty eating places, so we had a nice sit down lunch while waiting for our flight.

When we got to FLL,  that place was packed. I guess people are really traveling again.

When we got to baggage claim, the only person that was there was our driver, standing with our bags, and nothing on the carousel,   couldn't be more different that NAS.  I know a lot of fellow passengers on the plane were carrying overhead bin size luggage.  Of course, we did have to pay for our bags. But it sure was easier.  Our driver did tell us the parking garage was packed, and he  had to park a long way away.                                                                                                                                                              

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

We were fogged in all day. Went for a bike ride and got caught in a 20 minute downpour.😏 Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny. Hopefully the fog bank is gone.

Indeed fog, chilly, drizzle...even had a thunderstorm go through on Friday here in "downeast" Maine!  😮  Still foggy on day 3, but supposed to lift sometime today.   Had heat on last two mornings. 😉 

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Every time we come to the US mainly Orlando Dressbarn and Ross get a lot of money from us.

She buys dresses that are not available in the UK.

I believe Dress Barn is no more. But Ross is.

Orlando is my "second home" since that is where my family is. People leave their hearts in San Francisco, I leave mine in Orlando. Very hard to leave and come back to New Jersey where I live. Something called work keeps getting in the way!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I believe Dress Barn is no more. But Ross is.

Orlando is my "second home" since that is where my family is. People leave their hearts in San Francisco, I leave mine in Orlando. Very hard to leave and come back to New Jersey where I live. Something called work keeps getting in the way!

I miss Burdines.  😥   Was always advertised as the "Florida store" and indeed had many great tropical items. 

• Like 2

"Moving" day today.  Sad to leave this nice little cottage, but looking forward to rental #3 this afternoon.  Bigger place, brand new house, big balcony/deck and also on the ocean...but tucked back a bit with view through a few pine trees.  

Best thing...huge modern kitchen!!  🤗  Plus just 2 miles from favorite Lobster pound/fish monger.  😋

Will be at next place for four weeks.  Having mail drop forwarded up there, plus...of course, another Amazon delivery of a third bird feeder pole.  😄 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

We got home a little after 7 last night.  The trip home went off without a hitch. While I posted about my initial experiences, the rest of the week was more of the same.

The final antigen test did show 2 teens did test positive, but nobody else was affected. One teen had mild symptoms, the other didn't.  They were flown back to Fl from Freeport on a chartered jet.

We did have some excitement one night when , about 11:30,  the general alarm went off.  The hallways filled with people heading for their muster stations, many with their life jackets.

I didn't even think about that, it has been a long time since we were on a ship that had the jackets in the room.

About the time we got to the stairs, the Captain came on the speakers and said the alarm was a malfunction, go back to what you were doing.  

If we were to do this again, and we are thinking about doing it again, what would we do different. 

I would definitely come a day early.  The Nassau airport I would hope would be less of a zoo on a Friday. But since I have now actually experienced being there once, I don't see any issues in going without the transfers.

The JetBlue flight from FLL worked just fine, but I would not want to depart on them.  When we  got there yesterday, the place was a zoo,  huge lines.  Our return flight was on Bahamasair,    and there was no one in line. I guess that was the advantage of returning to FLL.  

Clearing customs and immigration was a piece of cake. Our flight home was at 4:30, so we went through about 2:00 and there was no line,  but they do have Global Entry kiosks , but we didn't use them.  

The terminal area we were in has plenty eating places, so we had a nice sit down lunch while waiting for our flight.

When we got to FLL,  that place was packed. I guess people are really traveling again.

When we got to baggage claim, the only person that was there was our driver, standing with our bags, and nothing on the carousel,   couldn't be more different that NAS.  I know a lot of fellow passengers on the plane were carrying overhead bin size luggage.  Of course, we did have to pay for our bags. But it sure was easier.  Our driver did tell us the parking garage was packed, and he  had to park a long way away.                                                                                                                                                              

Thank you for your update. Happy you enjoyed your cruise.

Nassau airport is managed far better than SXM.