Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

55 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Are the NE rolls Country Kitchen or Nissen? Those are the brands I think of. I hope they haven’t gone downhill like Yodels. Yodels used to be so good; now they’re interchangeable with Little Debbie. 

The Country Kitchen, and Ballpark are just not up to par as what we were used to.  They got cheap, flimsy, cut wrong, and smaller.   I bought simple Arnold small sub rolls, shaved the sides so I could spread a some butter on them and toasted them in a hot pan.  Worked really well.  😉 

53 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Ah, all these lucky people on cruises, or soon to be now.  My next booked ones are in January.  

Meanwhile, I finally got our boat in the water today, so I shave to settle for these views. 

My view from the bow. 

FullSizeRender.mov 11.8 MB · 3 downloads

My wake view.  

FullSizeRender.mov 8.93 MB · 0 downloads

The crew, taking it easy. 

B7955B3F-93FF-4257-8CC1-BDD49101110D.thumb.jpeg.f025399f82ddc744d8af1eacf7f87750.jpeg

At least we don’t have signs like these here. 

61777CDD-DE04-4316-94A3-5A470AF778C0.thumb.jpeg.f0caf365808434acda1b9ebff9992916.jpeg

That is my grandson, currently on vacation and studying the signs.  Do they really have to tell people not to swim with alligators?

Cute...looks like you were having a good time.  

This was one of the Alligators "cruising" through our back yard at home that did not even see the bird feeder before he crashed into it.  😉  I think the Alligators need to read signs too.  😄 

20210404_121930.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Curious as how is your education system ...

Here we have:

Six years elementary school (starting at 6 years age).

Then 3 years of mid-high school.

Finishing at 18 years with another 3 years of high school. Total -- 12 years.

If you're exempt of compulsory army service (3 years for boys and 2 years for girls), you go to the College/University at 18.

Owen had JK to grade 8 at the same school. (10 years)

In September he will head to high school which is grades 9-12. (4 years)

University/College follows from there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Unfortunately they do have to tell people that and apparently some people can't read.  

A couple of years ago a guy broke into the St Augustine Alligator Farm to play with the alligators. He swam with them and then with the crocodiles. 
After he got out, he climbed a wall into a neighborhood backyard. The resident called the police and said “There’s a man in just shorts halfway down his butt crawling in my backyard”.

The guy didn’t even realize a crocodile had been chewing on his foot. 
He did get a year in jail, but I doubt he learned anything. 
The signs are necessary because we have a lot of Florida Man clones. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, cruisingpeople said:

On another note, we are at our hotel in Nassau anxiously waiting for the Adventure of the Seas to arrive tomorrow morning. Our last cruise was in November, 2019 and we can't wait to get on her. There are a couple of people from this thread that will be on board. We hope to meet up with them at some point in time.

Have a fantastic cruise. Stay safe, healthy and enjoy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I suppose I should try it...but memories of 

that childhood Mac and Cheese do not want to leave my head.  😉 

Was it Kraft? My mom made Mac & Cheese with elbow macaroni with butter and velveeta . I was hooked ever since.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruisingpeople said:

….On another note, we are at our hotel in Nassau anxiously waiting for the Adventure of the Seas to arrive tomorrow morning. Our last cruise was in November, 2019 and we can't wait to get on her. There are a couple of people from this thread that will be on board. We hope to meet up with them at some point in time.

Enjoy your cruise. Look forward to hearing about it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I grew up with elementary being 1-6, Junior High 7-8, and high school 9-12. 

Only graduation was High School

In school I went to kindergarten (not required) at age 5.

Elementary was  1 - 6.

Jr. High was 7 - 8 with graduation.

High school was 9 - 12.

I changed schools/town after 9th grade and then high school started with 10 grade thru 12th grade with graduation after that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruisingpeople said:

This was the same for us. However, in 9th grade you were considered a Freshman even though you went to the Junior High. (We had 2 of them in town). Once you got to the High School itself, 10th, 11th and 12th grade were classified as your Sophomore, Junior and Senior years. It's been so long ago, (yes, I'm that old), that I'm not sure if that is still the case today.

On another note, we are at our hotel in Nassau anxiously waiting for the Adventure of the Seas to arrive tomorrow morning. Our last cruise was in November, 2019 and we can't wait to get on her. There are a couple of people from this thread that will be on board. We hope to meet up with them at some point in time.

She is in good shape..  You will enjoy her.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Cute...but no.   I grew up with mother feeding me mac and cheese as kid...no interest in bringing that into my Lobster...though I know that is a big fad right now.   I suppose I should try it...but memories of 

Yum, yummy. Kathy calls it yellow death. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We also hope your cruise is wonderful.

Graham.

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Have a fantastic cruise. Stay safe, healthy and enjoy!

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

Enjoy your cruise. Look forward to hearing about it.

16 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

She is in good shape..  You will enjoy her.

Thank you to everyone. I'll try to post when I can. Those that know me understand that me and computers don't always get along.

Joe

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Owen had JK to grade 8 at the same school. (10 years)

In September he will head to high school which is grades 9-12. (4 years)

University/College follows from there. 

I loved grade 9.  It was the best 3 years of my life 😉 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

18 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

Thank you to everyone. I'll try to post when I can. Those that know me understand that me and computers don't always get along.

Joe

Let me, also, add my wishes for a great cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisingpeople said:

This was the same for us. However, in 9th grade you were considered a Freshman even though you went to the Junior High. (We had 2 of them in town). Once you got to the High School itself, 10th, 11th and 12th grade were classified as your Sophomore, Junior and Senior years. It's been so long ago, (yes, I'm that old), that I'm not sure if that is still the case today.

How wonderful!  Smooth sails and a great cruise to you.

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

This coming Sunday I will be attending my first in person party since before the pandemic.

June 27 is the birthday of my oldest grand child.She just called to tell me that she passed her driving test and we will be celebrating that as well.

It is also 56 years since my wife and I went on our first date.

June 30 will be the 11th.wedding anniversary of my youngest daughter.

July 1 ,the 24th.anniversary of my oldest daughter.

Wonderful events to celebrate.  Congratulations to the family on their milestones,

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Now I'm trying to remember another memorable fashion store/outlet with excellent bargains -- it was between 16th and 17th street in NY, may be on 7th avenue (?), may be it was called Lowes or something....

Was it Saks 5th Avenue?  Haven't actually done any shopping in NY but that one comes to mind.

Loews is an upscale hotel chair.  Well, upscale to me.🤣

BTW,  I discovered that yucky to some, yummy to me macc and cheese when I was 18.  I still make it a few times a year.  The "family" macc & cheese is always this complicated white sauce with velvetta.  Can't for the life of me understand why my MIL doesn't mix the two together like every other recipe. 🤨 Who am I to question how to make the "family' recipe.  My DD & I started experimenting with cheddar and velvetta.  We like it better, husband says he likes both.  He know how to stay on the right side.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Cute...but no.   I grew up with mother feeding me mac and cheese as kid...no interest in bringing that into my Lobster...though I know that is a big fad right now.   I suppose I should try it...but memories of 

I never had mac and cheese growing up because my grandmother always said it was poor peoples food. When I was a teen I experienced it, for the first time, at a friends house and it was love at first bite.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

Joe

hey, I Tried, but it was hard for me also. I only posted any thing I thought was significant. And photos don't work well for me. We had a wonderful time, I hope you do too,

• Like 5

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

DH still has excellent shirts bought there. I was very disappointed last time in Boston when I've found out Filene's is gone...

Now I'm trying to remember another memorable fashion store/outlet with excellent bargains -- it was between 16th and 17th street in NY, may be on 7th avenue (?), may be it was called Lowes or something....

Help!!

I can't get it out of my mind now... Last time for sure I bought there in 1998, and may be, just may be, January 2001.

Jack and I put on our thinking caps and even with Google help, we couldn't think of a store in that location.  We were long gone from Manhattan by that time.  The area you mentioned has lots of vintage shops. Was it a large store?  I'll continue to search.  Now I want to know!

14 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Jack and I put on our thinking caps and even with Google help, we couldn't think of a store in that location.  We were long gone from Manhattan by that time.  The area you mentioned has lots of vintage shops. Was it a large store?  I'll continue to search.  Now I want to know!

Nordstroms? I'm not big into shopping in the city. Trying to think of stores that would do big time Christmas decorating.

Actually, Dani mentioned 16-17th street. That is pretty far down the island. Beets me.

11 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Ross, Marshall's, Macy's?  Was it a discount store or a store that had some stuff on sale?

4 hours ago, Lionesss said:

OH my  School years.

In Ohio when I went to kindergarten in 1961 you were eligible if you turned 5 y/o by the last day of December.

My birthday being in December I started when I was 4 3/4 years old.

I passed the entrance test.

But I was not ready.

How many youngins do you know get bad grades in kindergarten???????????

I struggled through 1-8th grades.

I guess you could say I had to bust ass to get C's.

When I went to 9th grade in a private school the lightbulb must have got on.

I excelled.

Did very very well and was for me very proud when I was in the top 15% of the class and our class graduated 344 students in 1974.

Few were going into nursing, and I did sooooo much extra curricular volunteer work in High School.

That I was selected to receive a  full scholarship, room board, books, uniform and other expenses to attain my RN.

Then I finished my BSN at Penn State with high honors.

Went to Nurse Anesthetist school and was given a full ride and a stiphen.

Now, in our area many communities have families with poor dysfunctional role models.

The children are struggling all through school.

I put one of the cities 12 year olds to sleep for his tonsillectomy and I asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up, his response was a football player.

I then asked him if that did not work out what would his second choice be, he responded a basketball player.

This is why when I see a school Levy on the ballots it has to be a YES, for  the children.

I guess you could say my hard work and will to succeed over came my early struggles.

So when people ask me if I could re-live my child hood, would I, my response is NO.  I am proud of what I have accomplished and would not change it for the world.

Take care

I always enjoy your newsy posts but not as much as this one.  Well done!