Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Thanks! It's nice too because you can pull the drawers easily out and find what you are looking for.

20230201_201243.jpg

We had those in our kitchen in NJ, not only in the pantry but most lower cabinets, loved them, such a simple thing that makes a huge difference.

Edited by akcruz
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

With everything going up, you need to increase your rental. 

Yes, we were overdue.   

I couldn't believe the rental prices we saw online for this summer.  They were high last year but really went up this year.   We saw 2 bed 1 bath condos renting for more than we charge for a single family 3 bedroom 2.5 bath house 8 houses to beach with a front patio/deck, upper deck off bedrooms, rooftop deck with ocean and bay views, nice outdoor area with grill, patio, 2 outdoor showers and provide some buggy boards and beach stuff too!   And a can opener

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

14 minutes ago, akcruz said:

We had those in our kitchen in NJ, not only in the pantry but most lower cabinets, loved them, such a simple thing that makes a huge difference.

Yes, all the lower cabinets around the stove and all the cabinets around the the island have the same pullouts.

No  pullouts on the cabinets over by the microwave (wall) area because those cabinets are only 18 inches deep.

There are 5 pullouts in the pantry cabinet I showed a picture of. The top high shelves are just regular shelves......If we had pullouts that high we wouldn't really be able to see in them any, would be pretty much over my Wife's head. She is only 5ft tall.

The silverware drawer is neat too, it has 2 levels. Spice rack drawer is cool too.

20230201_214145.jpg

Top level slides over the bottom level.

20230201_214157.jpg

20230201_214209.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sorry to hear you were sick.   Did you do quarantine for 5 days on Hal?   Hope you feel better now.   That stinks you may cancel Greenland cruise.   That is one we want to do.  

We tested positive on Friday. On Sunday, they sent someone to retest us . She declared us “ cured “ and we received a call to tell us we were free to leave our cabin with no mention of a mask . Knowing we were still sick we didn’t leave our cabin for another two days until it was time to disembark .  We went down in an elevator with unmasked pax and sat in a bar with ~ 75 people most maskless to await our turn to leave . We were getting room service from servers maskless and two attendants showed up to clean our room no masks and no gloves. We didn’t let them in .  Now , that pretty much tells me how it spreads . We were offered FCC .  We are still positive and coughing.  A friend traveling with us is being checked for pneumonia tomorrow.He is still positive for Covid. His wife is better . 

Cruisers to Greenland marvel at the scenery and told us they loved it . 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, NHProud said:

We tested positive on Friday. On Sunday, they sent someone to retest us . She declared us “ cured “ and we received a call to tell us we were free to leave our cabin with no mention of a mask . Knowing we were still sick we didn’t leave our cabin for another two days until it was time to disembark .  We went down in an elevator with unmasked pax and sat in a bar with ~ 75 people most maskless to await our turn to leave . We were getting room service from servers maskless and two attendants showed up to clean our room no masks and no gloves. We didn’t let them in .  Now , that pretty much tells me how it spreads . We were offered FCC .  We are still positive and coughing.  A friend traveling with us is being checked for pneumonia tomorrow.He is still positive for Covid. His wife is better . 

How soon is the Greenland Cruise?

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Has anyone else noticed the house gas bill going up?  We are getting charged at least 40% more for gas than last year. 

Oh yes, way up. And we had a new furnace installed less than three years ago that is much more energy efficient than our old one. And our winter hasn’t been harsh at all. Crazy.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NHProud said:

Sept 2023 from Bayonne, NJ ( round trip ) .  Jewel visits 3 ports in Greenland, Halifax and St John , NF .   

Interesting sailing, looks to be sold out. I'm sure My Wife would be interested in that one. Right now we have a Bermuda Cruise(8  nights) booked for the same time. Cost of the Greenland sailing(14 nights) though would probably cost twice as much if we could find a  cabin, plus another $200 to change cruises.

• Like 1

$435 a month for our 1200 sq. ft. house on natural gas. We were at the other house overnight Mon./Tues. It uses propane and is about a 2200 sq. ft house. It will probably bump it at $3.10 a gallon. 

We had to go up there because of the cold, and to see if we could adjust the thermostat for certain overnight hours. It turns out we can't, so we added some pipe wrap and left the faucet on fast drip. (Since there are no water meters).

And there was this kind of weird thing that happened on Friday the 27th. We have cameras all over at the other house. There is snow on the ground, and it is in the 20's. The next-door neighbor is renovating his house before his family moves in. And on Friday, this older guy came over in a t-shirt and jeans an tried to lift up the hose that is buried under the walkway and driveway and did some damage. Then he walked around the side of our house and "borrowed" our garden hose. 

So, we asked the neighbor, (super nice guy) who is not the borrower, and he had no idea about the whole incident. It is one of his workers on the video. He texted yesterday, and the guy denied it and said that he had returned it. (He hadn't). But he did actually return it today. So, we are all good. 

It is unusual up there to have problems with a vacant house, but I hope that word gets around that we do have cameras around the property. ☺️

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Interesting sailing, looks to be sold out. I'm sure My Wife would be interested in that one. Right now we have a Bermuda Cruise(8  nights) booked for the same time. Cost of the Greenland sailing(14 nights) though would probably cost twice as much if we could find a  cabin, plus another $200 to change cruises.

I’ll let you know tomorrow how much the fare is .  

If it’s the Bermuda cruise that sails from Boston we’ve done that one . Boston is a terrific city to visit . 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I had looked at that Jewel sailing last year when first released and prices were very reasonable.   I don't remember why I didn't book it then but the next time I looked it was mostly sold out so we booked the repo cruise on Serenade for Sept 2023.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@bobmacliberty How did you get around in Hawaii.  We were considering renting a car.  It looks like if we do rent one the Hotel we are looking at charges $50 per night to park.  Starting to look like it wouldn't be much more to just Lyft around. 

We rented a car.  We didn't spend a lot of time hanging around the hotel and were constantly going somewhere.  We also had 2 days of driving all over the island, so it made sense for us.  You might be able to get away with Uber/Lyft on Maui or Oahu, but I'd verify that there are enough of them on the island you're going to.  I'd especially worry that there's not enough demand on Kauai.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

How did you get around in Hawaii.  We were considering renting a car.  

Can you try to find a hotel with free parking?

My cousin and her DH "gifted" us a cruise to Hawaii [basically, they needed a driver and a trip planner 😉], and  stayed at Sheraton Princess at Waikiki beach. Free parking was included in the rate.

We arrived after them, stayed at Hyatt Place and used the Sheraton's parking for the car we rented for all of us.

For the cruise, this company was recommended on these boards, and we were very happy with them, since no prepayment was needed. A car was waiting for us in every port, very reasonable rates too.

https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/en-us/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

How did you get around in Hawaii.  We were considering renting a car.

Have you looked into using TheBus?  They have a good bus system on Oahu. I think seniors can still ride for $1, but regular fare is only $3. We found it easy to get around using it, and you don’t have to worry about trying to find parking places.  You can actually circle the island on it.  It just depends where you want to go.  

The other islands I would probably look at rentals. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NHProud said:

We just got off the Koningsdam, yesterday, after a 17 day cruise to Hawaii.  We and our friends came down with Covid .  When I asked about Paxlovid I was quoted $750 . Too much in shock to ask is that per pill or for the full treatment.  Are you traveling with your own prescription for Paxlovid or is that something I shouldn’t be asking ?  Nothing like being miles from nowhere and sick . We are probably going to cancel our Greenland cruise.  

Sorry to hear. Its definitely still around. Gary's cousin and wife have been very careful as they are carers for a very sprightly lady in her 90s but she finally caught it for the first time this week (cousins wife, not elderly lady). 

I hope your symptoms were/are mild . 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NHProud said:

I hope you get better soon.

Just a thought.....you just had the C, now that would give you some immunity, and if your Greenland cruise is in good time, and you feel good and better, do not worry about it and do it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Can you try to find a hotel with free parking?

My cousin and her DH "gifted" us a cruise to Hawaii [basically, they needed a driver and a trip planner 😉], and  stayed at Sheraton Princess at Waikiki beach. Free parking was included in the rate.

We arrived after them, stayed at Hyatt Place and used the Sheraton's parking for the car we rented for all of us.

For the cruise, this company was recommended on these boards, and we were very happy with them, since no prepayment was needed. A car was waiting for us in every port, very reasonable rates too.

https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/en-us/

Very wise cousin😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

So this happened in Pennsylvania this morning

B8BADE28-53D8-4350-AB4F-08E2199EB6DE.thumb.jpeg.c7f1a96ac3bd16161e8295c65e723448.jpeg

F5654B12-FF11-474E-8F7E-3A31580B29E4.thumb.jpeg.bc7d26c6e8eb95e8c6cf8ac754da3d2c.jpeg

2DC3E689-F789-4851-93D1-D29B22FFD710.thumb.jpeg.420c71a7ba26334ef44b24c79609c1e7.jpeg

All I can say is NOOOOOOO!

Phil says six more weeks of winter.

Wiarton Willie disagrees, not that I believe him.

We pretty much always have 6 more weeks of winter. Spring is coming eventually!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Has anyone else noticed the house gas bill going up?  We are getting charged at least 40% more for gas than last year. 

Our son has a condo in Maryland. His gas bill is usually around $80.  Last month it was $160!

• Like 5