Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

31 minutes ago, Keksie said:

The last time we took a cruise was the spring of 2019.  We are about to book the Grandeur out of Tampa for June.  I have a couple of questions for the people have cruised recently.

How is muster handled now?  Do we each have to have an app on our phones and carry them with us or can we do it on one phone?

I like to keep my phone turned off and in the safe the entire cruise. While my husband usually carries his most of the time.  We give the house sitter, my son etc. his number for emergencies.  I know that he will need to make phone calls to a friend of his who is ill, we will want to check email and a few websites while on the cruise not necessarily at the same time.  In the past we have had a voom for 1 device for the internet and took turns being online.  Will that plan still work?  Can he use wi-fi calling with the voom to call his friend?

We have AT&T if it matters.

Happy to hear you are ready to book a cruise.    

Yes, you can still purchase 1 device Voom and share as you wish.    Yes, Wifi calling works with Voom just fine.

On embarkment day we have both watched the safety video for muster drill on our own phones but you should be able to do on one phone.    Usually can watch the video in the cruise terminal while waiting to checkin.   Then once onboard report to your assigned muster station and they may or may not give you a brief instruction on how to put on a life jacket then scan your set sail pass or sea pass card that you have completed your muster safety drill (takes less than 2 minutes).    Easy peasy and hopefully they still have e-muster process this summer.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

@ReneeFLL

Is Mike back from Tel Aviv?

No. He was supposed to get back this morning, but a flight attendant had a seizure on board. They had to divert to Madrid so he spent the night there. Luckily there was a dr and a nurse onboard. Hope she is ok. He is on his way home and will be here tomorrow morning around 4:00 am. Unfortunately he has a flight out tomorrow night also. He prefers to have at least a day or more in between flights. 

He didn’t do any sight seeing since it rained all day. They did go to eat, but go soaked on the way back. Not sure how far the place was from the hotel. Pictures from his hotel room. You can see the surf is rough. @Ocean BoyNot sure if that’s a lighthouse or a smoke stack on the right side. Maybe Dani knows.

E9562EF1-F77F-46F6-9DA5-956D36742704.thumb.jpeg.3cb7aee47d4f444a177bc20744522d5f.jpeg

729C3C35-127F-4C7B-8C47-05503D1CA58E.thumb.jpeg.4244281a60547ab648d690072ea56535.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Not sure if that’s a lighthouse or a smoke stack on the right side. Maybe Dani knows.

Sorry Mike didn't enjoy his short stay here. The winter really started this week, with yesterday being a rough day indeed.

It's not a lighthouse, it's the Reading Power Station.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NHProud said:

I’m not tech savvy so I can’t offer anything like others on here . I used AT&T cruise deal .  Talk , text and data for 30 days at $50 .  

That is what we have done in the past and gotten the voom to be able to use the internet.  This time I was hoping to get by with just the voom if we can. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Sorry Mike didn't enjoy his short stay here. The winter really started this week, with yesterday being a rough day indeed.

Well, at least it could light up a Lighthouse. 

• Haha 6

21 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Was the restaurant near the lighthouse open?   We had a great sunset dinner there and really enjoyed.   I cannot remember the name but food and view were awesome.

BTW, the name of the restaurant is Faro Blanco... White Lighthouse... Faro Bianco in Italian. My parents, brother, and I also had a very nice dinner there years ago. I had memories of that dinner as I walked through yesterday. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Today was mostly a very good day.  I'm battling a head cold (negative for Covid) but still played golf this morning and shot a 79.  That's only the 3rd time that I've been able to break 80.  While I was playing golf, Micheline went to the grocery store and bought some fresh Mahi (aka MahiMahi, aka Dorado, aka Dolphinfish).  She made fish tacos for dinner.  Wow were they tasty, and apparently healthy also (ignoring the tator tots).

IMG_0083.thumb.jpg.6e0e2f80dfdec3dacf097e266dcd6129.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Preparing for wife’s new hobby for 2023….beekeeping!

A26FA54E-9D40-4555-A53C-23DAB34C2D70.thumb.jpeg.f484432a511766598939a319a28bd3e7.jpeg

Nice!  Sharon's brother and son does that.  Great 🍯 honey.  If you don't mind I have one suggestion, set it up outside.  Just a suggestion.  You do what you want. 

• Haha 8

54 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

BTW, the name of the restaurant is Faro Blanco... White Lighthouse... Faro Bianco in Italian. My parents, brother, and I also had a very nice dinner there years ago. I had memories of that dinner as I walked through yesterday. 

Always nice to have wonderful memories like that 🥰

Glad to hear they survived covid.  I have to check out the timing for our next cruise to Aruba and see if we can fit in another sunset dinner.  

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Today was mostly a very good day.  I'm battling a head cold (negative for Covid) but still played golf this morning and shot a 79.  That's only the 3rd time that I've been able to break 80.  While I was playing golf, Micheline went to the grocery store and bought some fresh Mahi (aka MahiMahi, aka Dorado, aka Dolphinfish).  She made fish tacos for dinner.  Wow were they tasty, and apparently healthy also (ignoring the tator tots).

IMG_0083.thumb.jpg.6e0e2f80dfdec3dacf097e266dcd6129.jpg

She did a great job.  They look delicious.

I love Mahi.

Yesterday we ordered lunch from a local restaurant called Porterhouse.  They have a delicious grouper sandwich.  I know sounds strange to order fish from a steakhouse but it is so good.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

Can he use wi-fi calling with the voom to call his friend?

We have AT&T if it matters.

We used wifi calling last week and it worked.  Sharon and I use AT&T and the other couple Verizon.  I have an android, Sharon an iPhone. 

I would suggest you try it out now/before boarding to see if it is working for you. 

The other couple, DH, took several calls for work in Wi-Fi calling mode. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Dani.

The surgeon did tell her it could get better on its own in time.

She has been to a top class chiropractor several times in the past and has another appointment in just over a week.

The surgeon was happy for her to see the chiropractor.

Best wishes for a positive outcome for Sarah. Her chiropractor should measure the diameter of her calf muscles now, and if there is later shrinkage, she will need to take additional measures to prevent continued muscle wasting. And she will need to go for long walks, daily, for as long as she is able, for it to eventually improve. (Possibly on its own) 

A herniated disk is not something to defer. It can really affect your quality of life later on if, it is not corrected. And if the shots don't work, in my opinion the surgery is not risky, if you have an experienced surgeon. Mine was excellent, and I have not had continuing problems. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We used wifi calling last week and it worked.  Sharon and I use AT&T and the other couple Verizon.  I have an android, Sharon an iPhone. 

I would suggest you try it out now/before boarding to see if it is working for you. 

The other couple, DH, took several calls for work in Wi-Fi calling mode. 

What about texts?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

If I remember right, this will be your first time on Odyssey or is my memory messed up? 

It will be our 5th time. Did a b3b in October ‘21 and then one in March of last year.

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I’m not sure if Mike will make it back there. AA quits flying there in March. I asked Mike why and he said he heard several rumors but he doesn’t know why. 

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Just informed we have a medical emergency aboard and will be making a short stop back at Aruba tonight for a drop off. Captain said it should not affect arrival time back at PE on Sunday. 

Hope they are ok.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Just informed we have a medical emergency aboard and will be making a short stop back at Aruba tonight for a drop off. Captain said it should not affect arrival time back at PE on Sunday. 

Sorry to hear that.  I hope they get the help they need and will be OK.  I have heard that Aruba has a good medical system/hospitals.

• Like 2