Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Is it an iphone?  I only receive” iMessage” text messages when connected to wi-fi in airplane modes.  Text messages from non-iphone users don’t come through until I turn cellular back on.  Not sure how non-apple devices would work if that would be different.

They are android phones and tablets.

40 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Yes, the device that is currently connected can send and receive texts from home.  It can also do Wi-Fi calling if you set it up before leaving home.  The other phone can access the app at anytime, by being logged into the ship Wi-Fi. 

when the second phone connects to Voom, it will automatically knock the other one off.

We often use wifi calling here at home.  Sometimes our cell connection is iffy out here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

Voom question.  We have it for one device.  I know that means that only one of our devices can be on at a time. We just take turns at night checking our email.

For our phones:

Can the device that is on receive texts from home?  I know we can use wifi calling to make a call.  Can the device that is not on at the time still be in airplane mode and use the app?  

If you are getting the Key, you each will have a one device Voom package.  If you changed your mind and are just getting a one device Voom package, any one device can be connected at any time and will receive texts from home if connected.  The app works on the ship wifi and will work for the phone that is not using Voom.

15 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

If you are getting the Key, you each will have a one device Voom package.  If you changed your mind and are just getting a one device Voom package, any one device can be connected at any time and will receive texts from home if connected.  The app works on the ship wifi and will work for the phone that is not using Voom.

Thank you.  I forgot that it was for both devices.  We did get the Key.  The last time we cruised we had the Key and enjoyed it.  We can each just switch between our phones and tablets when we want to check our email.  I know I can look at email on my phone but I like a bigger screen to read things.  

Edited by Keksie
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Android here. I get texts in airplane mode when connected to the internet through wifi.

@Keksie   I'm a Samsung android user and get texts in airplane mode when connected to the internet.    

I also have the What's App and use that for wifi calling and texting when connected to internet / voom while onboard.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Thank you.  I forgot that it was for both devices.  We did get the Key.  The last time we cruised we had the Key and enjoyed it.  We can each just switch between our phones and tablets when we want to check our email.  I know I can look at email on my phone but I like a bigger screen to read things.  

If you have the Key then you can cancel the one device voom if you already purchased that.   Unless you want to have wifi for 3 devices at the same time.    

@Keksie

Our last cruise we all were in airplane mode not using any special app.  My Samsung was able to send and receive text and the other iPhones were able to send and receive text from me.  Both types acted normal as if on land. The best way to see if the will work for you on board is to try it at home now or before you board.  The sooner the better. 

Edited by Ozark_Kid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Nice!!

The kids this week asked if they could go together for my birthday present and put a drip Irrigation system in my garden! I said YES.  The SILs, with Kenzie's dad heading it up, are going to put it together.   A lot of work.  Kenzie's family has one for their flower business they started.   Here is a pick of some of their flowers this week.

image.thumb.png.ab0d534d41874aa113c0148611dd3e8e.png

• Like 19

26 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If you have the Key then you can cancel the one device voom if you already purchased that.   Unless you want to have wifi for 3 devices at the same time.    

I didn't buy the one device voom, just the Key.  I forgot it was for each person.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Keksie said:

You should be all set then to use it just like you did in the past.  Just make sure wifi calling is enabled.  You don't need any third party apps like What's app.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

Can the device that is on receive texts from home?  I know we can use wifi calling to make a call. 

Yes, since you have Wifi Calling already enabled, texts will send/receive on any device that is connected to the VOOM service at that time.

(On SOME ships, certain notifications/texts come through even when only on the free wifi to use the app, but it is not a guarantee, doesn't always work, and doesn't work on all ships.)

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

Can the device that is not on at the time still be in airplane mode and use the app?

Yes, that device can connect to the ship's wifi network (internal ship system) to have access to the app without connecting to the ship's VOOM (internet "world wide web" system).  

You might want to save this "tutorial" I wrote up a couple months ago on this thread:

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

The kids this week asked if they could go together for my birthday present and put a drip Irrigation system in my garden! I said YES.  The SILs, with Kenzie's dad heading it up, are going to put it together.   A lot of work.  Kenzie's family has one for their flower business they started.   Here is a pick of some of their flowers this week.

You (and your plants) are going to ADORE the drip system!!!!  You'd better be prepared for a bumper crop this year!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, brillohead said:

You might want to save this "tutorial" I wrote up a couple months ago on this thread:

Note that since you have The Key, you will EACH have to set up your own individual account.  Then when you switch from phone to tablet each time, you will bump off your own other device when you log into the next device, it won't affect the other person at all.

Example:

Keksie is using phone and wants to use tablet, so logs into tablet and Keksie's phone gets bumped/logged off.  Roommate is using their tablet at the time and nothing happens to roommate's device because it's a separate account with its own login name and PIN.  

Using the tutorial post that I linked above, you'd use that info to switch between your phone and tablet just like if you were doing additional devices in a multi-device plan (it will just bump off the other device instead)..... set up the login name and PIN on one device using "first time here", and then from that point forward just use "sign in to internet account" to log any device once the account is first set up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, brillohead said:

You (and your plants) are going to ADORE the drip system!!!!  You'd better be prepared for a bumper crop this year!

😆 bumper crop.  I grow to much as it is but it's fun and great to be able to share.

Usually when I grow garlic I lose about 15% .  A couple weeks ago I counted the ones that are up and bigger than ever before.   176.  If I recorded correctly I planted 178. Lost 2!

Some think I over grow garlic. 😆 🤣 😂.   How do you overgrow garlic!  I only have 3 bulbs left from last year's harvest.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Just think of all the salsa you can grow!!! 

And there is NEVER such a thing as "too much garlic"!!!

Wife has same feelings about garlic , at the end of our cruise we go to Ft Myer to visit my brother and his family and see one of his plays , he has had theaters in this area for about 30; years. My wife also sent a text to one of her new cousins via dna, we met him at his dads memorial and they will also meet us in Ft Myer.

Tonight we see Jefferson Starship. Heading for sushi restaurant again for lunch.

• Like 9

Good evening.

It is 22.05pm in the UK and still 50°F.

I took Pauline to the hairdresser's this morning then we had a quiet day at home.

I have read every post on the Bella cruise and nice to see everyone having a great time.

Graham 

• Like 8