Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

6 hours ago, DeltaOne said:

Perhaps you know this, but Braun makes conversion vans that allow one to drive a powered wheelchair right up and in to the van.  The wheelchair is then secured to the floor either via hold-down straps or an automatic device that locks on to the wheelchair frame.  

My son is on his second Braun van.  The first was a Chrysler, the current one is a Toyota Sienna.  Braun has a nice web site showing the possibilities.  There is at least one other company that makes wheelchair conversion vans, VMI.

Thanks for mentioning this.  I have considered a converted Toyota Sienna.  The biggest problem is our driveway is slanted and lower vehicles can drag when pulling in and out.  That is why we drive taller vehicles like Highlanders.  My DD has a Sienna and has always parked out front.  I need to see if she can pull in at an angle.

image.thumb.png.dcb08323abbbdb0f6c242c1236eabb17.png

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks for mentioning this.  I have considered a converted Toyota Sienna.  The biggest problem is our driveway is slanted and lower vehicles can drag when pulling in and out.  That is why we drive taller vehicles like Highlanders.  My DD has a Sienna and has always parked out front.  I need to see if she can pull in at an angle.

The Braun vans are low to the ground, since the floor has been lowered by ten inches.  

A few years ago we were considering taking the Toyota Sienna on the Amtrak "Auto Train" to Florida.  We were worried the van's exhaust pipe would be damaged during the train loading process.  Amtrak said the minimum ground clearance was 4 inches, the van's exhaust pipe has just three inches ground clearance.  We always take it slow and easy over speed bumps.

Other than ground clearance, the Braun vans are wonderful and solve a lot of problems for wheelchair users.

Looking at the picture you posted, I believe the Braun van would handle that just fine.  It looks like the same angle our driveway has and it's never been an issue here.

Edited by DeltaOne
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Medicare will pay the the first 3 weeks of the bike. It’s all on a computer program so the bike will do most of the work.

IMG_3683.thumb.jpeg.ec4ad4e3953368d67bff45dba35fdc55.jpeg

Yes I will report back. Thanks for your well wishes.

Best wishes Greg for a successful operation and minimal pain during recuperation.

• Like 1

@Sea Dog  Greg, loved your cruise review.  Your reviews are always a pleasure to read and accompanied by such excellent videos and it was lovely to see you have such a great time with your cc friends.  Soggy Dollar looked beautiful and the history of the painkiller was interesting.  Glad they tasted so gooood.

All the best for your 2nd knee op tommorrow.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

So exciting!! The 7th grader stayed up wayyy past his bedtime to witness this historical moment and all of the hoopla afterward. While we weren't able to swing attending WS game, he did get to see this team play a couple of weeks ago in one of the ALCS games. At the end of last year, he insisted they were going to the WS, back when they were terrible and their manager had just been fired. Of course, I laughed. I should have believed him.

I’m so excited for all the Texas fans. They played awesome. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Best wishes Greg for a successful operation and minimal pain during recuperation.

11 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@Sea Dog  Greg, loved your cruise review.  Your reviews are always a pleasure to read and accompanied by such excellent videos and it was lovely to see you have such a great time with your cc friends.  Soggy Dollar looked beautiful and the history of the painkiller was interesting.  Glad they tasted so gooood.

All the best for your 2nd knee op tommorrow.  

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

Greg, good luck tomorrow.  We are all thinking about you.

Thank you everyone so much for your well wishes. I’m nervous but ready to get this behind me. I’m tired of hurting, limping and going up and down stairs with one leg at time. Tomorrow will start a long process but one that has a end in sight.

• Like 15

32 minutes ago, DeltaOne said:

The Braun vans are low to the ground, since the floor has been lowered by ten inches.  

A few years ago we were considering taking the Toyota Sienna on the Amtrak "Auto Train" to Florida.  We were worried the van's exhaust pipe would be damaged during the train loading process.  Amtrak said the minimum ground clearance was 4 inches, the van's exhaust pipe has just three inches ground clearance.  We always take it slow and easy over speed bumps.

Other than ground clearance, the Braun vans are wonderful and solve a lot of problems for wheelchair users.

Looking at the picture you posted, I believe the Braun van would handle that just fine.  It looks like the same angle our driveway has and it's never been an issue here.

What the picture doesn't show is how much the driveway is lifted at the entrance to prevent rain water from pouring down the driveway. We may be able to get over it if we hit it at a good angle

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Medicare will pay the the first 3 weeks of the bike. It’s all on a computer program so the bike will do most of the work.

IMG_3683.thumb.jpeg.ec4ad4e3953368d67bff45dba35fdc55.jpeg

That looks nice.  It looks like they are taking good care of you.   Hang in there Greg.  It will be over soon.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm not sure that I've ever seen a unanimous vote before.

I don't remember a unanimous vote with that many still remaining.   The way it went down was so cool.   I guess you could almost say 2 unanimous votes in one night.  

• Like 3

Yesterday I drove my daughter to the airport.  She decided her brother can’t have all the fun, so she is off to Canada.

To save on airfare, she bought a one way ticket to Honolulu and then a one way ticket Honolulu to Vancouver.

At the check-in counter, she was told that she cannot fly to the US without a return ticket, even though she was departing Honolulu to Vancouver on the same day and has a 2 year visa for Canada.

So she had to buy a return ticket from the US but the check in lady whispered “ you can cancel it within 24hrs for a full refund”.  Because she had this hassle and because DD was very nice and friendly about it, the lovely check-in lady waived her excess baggage fees (she was over by a couple of kilos).

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Congratulations and enjoy the celebrations. Since neither of the NY area teams made the playoffs, I've been rootin for the Rangers, mainly because they never won a WS ever in franchise history, even when the team was the old Washington Senators.  Nice to see some new blood in the playoffs.  Plus, 2 of their pitchers - Evoaldi & Montgomery - are ex-Yankees that the team never should have let go.

Also Chapman who now has two World Series rings , although not sure I would want him  . Montgomery was a stupid move for Yankees . One of our best friends are huge fans and have season tickets, there home stadium was packed they charged ten dollars to get in and had huge crowds for all the away games.

• Like 1

Yesterday I had the Senior Flu Shot and had the worst reaction that I ever had to one.I had severe pain ,so much so that I was praying to leave the planet.My BP increased from my normal reading of 127 to 171.

I also fell twice .The first time I tried to break my fall and hit a wall with my right wrist.The second one was me hitting the floor from my bed.

I am feeling better now and have a doctor apt.tomorrow.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Lenny, I just saw this.  I do hope all is well with your daughter.  Very frightening when chest pain is involved.  This was posted 19 hours ago, so I'm hoping you've all had good news.🙏

I think I posted that she was referred to a Cardiologist by her internist .When she called his office she was told that his next appointment is February.She said she cannot wait that long .They asked if she would be okay with seeing the PA and she said yes.She has an appointment for Tuesday.I have an excellent cardiologist but he is going to retire later this month.

Thanks for your concern,MaryAnn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thank you everyone so much for your well wishes. I’m nervous but ready to get this behind me. I’m tired of hurting, limping and going up and down stairs with one leg at time. Tomorrow will start a long process but one that has a end in sight.

Adding my wishes for a successful surgery tomorrow.  May this be the beginning of the end of your knee issues 🙏🤞!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I'm so sorry to hear your dear daughter has a heart problem Lenny and I hope remedial actions can be done to help her and give her a normal life.

After my mild heart attack nearly 4 years ago I had a cardiac stent fitted and medication which has helped me.

Best wishes for your health too Lenny.

Thanks ,Graham.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MJSailors said:

@jagsfan Mimi-I read your post about your cruise and health report.I am very glad that you were able to visit Bermuda as my DH and I enjoy it so 

Great idea to arrange a guided tour so you could see so much of that lovely country.

As for getting those health reports. We also get them on our patient portals andI always hesitate to look at them without our family doctor’s input.

They can be informative or concerning, for sure!

Very glad that your Dr had a reassuring report for you and that you are planning another cruise!

@lenquixote66 Lenny-I read your posts from last night and I am so sorry that you went through such a difficult episode.

We worry so much for your loved ones and feel for them when they are ill or facing a difficult situation.

It is only because we love them so much.

Hoping that your daughter gets a reassuring report from the Cardiologist. 
Also hoping that you and Toby have a restful night tonight.

@mo&fran I was very glad to read that you are cruising for quite awhile and that you and your DW are enjoying your vacation.

My continued good wishes for your ongoing recovery You have made very good progress with a most positive  attitude.

@Ozark_Kid You shared good news about the custom wheelchair that is coming your way.

The ramp is excellent.

We installed a ramp in our garage to help my Mom who lived with us and had some mobility issues.

It made it easy for her and us to get her out of the car and roll her wheelchair right up to the door that led into the house. The interior ramp was especially helpful during inclement weather.

Wishing you and your family good days.

@Sea DogGreg-Wishing you a successful outcome of the knee surgery.

That is interesting that your Dr ordered a bike to use for exercise at home after the surgery.

Hoping it aids in a quick recovery for you.

@dani negreanu As others have written, I think of you, your family and friends often.

Hoping that you all stay safe. Wishing that agreements between countries  could be negotiated without so much loss.

I hope it helps, in a small way, to know that many people are thinking of you and praying for a return to normal days where you are with your friends celebrating with a lovely meal. 

For all of you dealing with the “white stuff”. you have my sympathy as it is too soon to see those photos of lovely snowfalls.

It has turned very cold here on Eastern LI with temps going into the 30s tonight.

I am relaxing on the sofa with a fuzzy throw waiting for Jeopardy.

Very cozy at the moment.

Wishing all the posters here good days where you are feeling safe and loved.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

Thanks,MJ.It was 38 in my area this morning but it is supposed to be in the 60’s on Saturday.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks Maryann. I’m getting my typical pre surgery anxiety that I always get. Having trouble getting all my prescriptions done. Insurance did not want to pay for the pregabalin so doctor substituted gabipentan. Then because of a stupid new Missouri law I can only get 7 days of Oxycodone. Do the doctor will have to write a new script after that plus one prescription will not be ready until Monday which does me no good when I get home on Sunday. So we will have the script sent over to another CVS. Needless to say CVS pharmacy is all screwed up right now. They have some serious problems on how they treat their pharmacists plus the pharmacy is now closed on weekends which makes things even worse.

Good luck with the surgery ,Greg. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Congratulations and enjoy the celebrations. Since neither of the NY area teams made the playoffs, I've been rootin for the Rangers, mainly because they never won a WS ever in franchise history, even when the team was the old Washington Senators.  Nice to see some new blood in the playoffs.  Plus, 2 of their pitchers - Evoaldi & Montgomery - are ex-Yankees that the team never should have let go.

I was a bit off in my prediction of Arizona in 6.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, George C said:

Customer service totally sucks at cvs and Walgreens, I think I will move my prescriptions to Walmart they can’t be worse . 

Our Walmart pharmacy here is pretty good.  They are very helpful, especially with regard to my T1 grandsons prescriptions.

I know there are problems at many CVS and Walgreens pharmacies, but so far, we've not had any problems either here at our CVS while home, or at our CVS in Naples.  I sure hope I didn't just jinx myself.  We're fortunate also that our pharmacy in NJ is open on the weekends.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Tree #7 is done. One more to go.

This is the Disney Tree downstairs in our In-law Suite

20231101_143735.jpg

20231101_143740.jpg

20231101_143751.jpg

20231101_201801.jpg

20231101_201813.jpg

20231101_202108.jpg

20231101_202122.jpg

Absolutely Beautiful!!

48 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Adding my wishes for a successful surgery tomorrow.  May this be the beginning of the end of your knee issues 🙏🤞!!

Thanks Deb! Hopefully I can have a better beach landing with a good knee at JVD. 😉

28 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Good luck with the surgery ,Greg. 

Thanks Lenny.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1