Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

22 minutes ago, Sheal said:

I somehow don't see that happening or are you planning to take Felix and Family on the cruise with you?

Still waiting on that KSF promo.😉

Felix's family is second in line to babysit Bell. Actually taking Felix on Independence this coming May. 

Pat and Amanda wedding cruise

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

On the main boards, people arguing about Sorrento's pizza, gifts for the crew and if water slides belong on ships. No tipping or dress codes threads that  I've seen but I think CC has officially returned to normal.

You just have not been looking hard enough.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Thank you for asking, Debbie.  Jim's doing pretty well.  He is still hurting but not complaining;  the PT has been working on strengthening Jim's quads to help with going up the stairs.  No problem coming down the stairs.  He's been walking without the walker for at least a week or so now.  😊

That would be wonderful if you and Linda could join us, Greg!  

Bonnie, dear friends of ours are planning on joining the Bella cruise, also!

Maryann, our very close friends are joining us also.  We met over 40 years ago when we were neighbors in NY and our move to TX did not diminish our closeness.  We've been on 3 cruises with them. We miss them terribly and were glad to see them in Aug. when we went back East.

Glad to hear Jim is doing well!  He'll be chasing you around the dining room table soon!!

50 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Might raffle Bella off for a 9 month visit starting December '23🤣🤣

How does she do with bbq and occasional tornadoes?

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Koi pond is now winterized.  Jim actually did most of it..I did a lot of cleaning the filter, etc, with the hose..  wow, it gets so filthy!  You're right, Debbie..it's not as involved as I thought it would be!😁

What do you do with the fish while you are gone? And another question about 2 houses. What do you leave there while you are gone? Obviously the appliances and general utensils and such. But do you leave clothes? And we keep needing to restock food at the other house, and we can never remember what is there, at least in the condiment category or OTC medications. :classic_smile: Of course we are not there for long stays yet. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Still waiting on that KSF promo.😉

Felix's family is second in line to babysit Bell. Actually taking Felix on Independence this coming May. 

Pat and Amanda wedding cruise

Congratulations!  Are they doing a ceremony on board?

Edited by Sheal

6 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Maryann, our very close friends are joining us also.  We met over 40 years ago when we were neighbors in NY and our move to TX did not diminish our closeness.  We've been on 3 cruises with them. We miss them terribly and were glad to see them in Aug. when we went back East.

How does she do with bbq and occasional tornadoes?

I'm thinking she would have no problem eating bbq everynight.  Is the safe room soundproof?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

This is one of the things that I love about Survivor.  Some people seem to trip over themselves in trying to make a "big move" and get quickly voted out.  Others play it too safe and may get to the final 3, but only because everyone knows they will lose with nothing to show on their "resume".  You can't be too timid, too aggressive, too athletic, too social, too strategic, etc.  It's a very fine line.  You also never know how much the jury will appreciate aggressive play (a la Tony).

I had the opportunity to e-mail with Tony the first time he was on the show.He only knew me as a fan but was a very nice guy.

My pick for the winner of this season is Tiffany.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You just have not been looking hard enough.

Thanks! I'm only halfway thru it but it is providing the necessary entertainment value I expect from CC..

Plus, I like the OP's nickname. Makes me wish I had picked something more creative.

I forgot to mention I saw a smoking thread recently as well. But since 99.945762% of the people on CC are against smoking, it doesn't quite elicit the same passion.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, maggieq said:

Congratulations 🍾🎉🎊🎈.  I think it is so wonderful you have had a career that you appear to have enjoyed very much.  

Thank you I've been lucky. Like anything it does have it's good days and bad days. Luckily it's the people I work with that make it worthwhile.

6 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Congrats Greg!  Make sure someone is taking pics during the send off party.  You will enjoy them later.  For me it’s the people I miss the most but thankful we stay in contact.  Being an auditor I traveled to various locations.  One of the last cities I audited held a retirement party for me.  They made a huge cake that looked like a cruise ship.  That is a big indication we knew each other well!  The funny thing was when the time came for me to go my district was having a hard time with training new auditors and an overwhelming work load.  I ended up agreeing to stick around a few more months.  Not tempted at all to go back now.

Enjoy.  Also the cruise will be here before you know it.

Thanks John for reminding me about getting someone to take pictures. I am lucky in that there is a bunch of us that get together all the time. Matter of fact. Most of my family is gone so instead of a Christmas party with my family I have a Christmas party with some of my dear coworkers. They are family to me now. Can't wait to cruise. Thinking of starting the live review next Tuesday to get everyone warmed up to the idea.

6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I found an interesting new YouTube Channel called Super Yacht Captain:

Super Yacht Captain - YouTube

You sure we aren't twins? I started watching that last year and have watched most of the episodes. Really interesting on all the inner workings of a super yacht. I really enjoy it.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

but we were both craving cheesesteaks.  That is one thing I have never found a good place on Lbi.

So do you ever make it to Philly and go to Gino's or Pat's? I always wanted to try their cheesesteaks. Anyone better than the other?

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

And we don't have to pay for your braces, education, etc. etc!!

Any thoughts to joining over 50 of us on the Friends of Bella cruise on March 12. 2023?

What a fun cruise that one is gonna be!

Yeah and you don't have to clean up after me😁 I would love to join you but I had 3 more cruises booked by the time I found out about it. We cruise next September,October the April of 2023 to join Patti and Bill to the BVI and Jost Van Dyke. One of the places I've been dreaming about going to. I don't think we can swing it that close. But you never know things could happen. There is no question we would like to go it's rather if we can make it happen.

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

It will be hard to say the final goodbye, because you’re starting a new chapter without your “work family”. 
Thanks to social media, though, you can still keep in touch. Someone at my old company started a Facebook page and we all post enough to still feel a connection. 
Retiring is bittersweet, but the ability to do what’s important to you outweighs the leaving the familiarity of a well loved job. 

Thanks Mimi we are all on social media so a lot of us either post messages or text each other. This new chapter no doubt will be a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to it. I just know to start it it will be weird not getting up to go to work everyday. One thing I will not miss is standing out in a blizzard doing live shots telling people to stay in doors and not drive when I am actually doing the opposite.😄

12 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Nope. We get to meet Greg & Linda and will be sailing with them for 8 nights on Jewel in April 2023. We are planning our own excursion over to Jost Van Dyke for original Painkillers.  :classic_biggrin:

~Patti & Bill 

Patti I am looking so forward to meeting you  and Bill and enjoying our day at the Soggy Dollar. April '23 can't come soon enough.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I was wondering, since you have a "history", could u ask for a MRI scan of the brain, just to know "where you stand"?

I'm not sure. I'm certain medical technology has advanced since the time my mom was diagnosed - 1997 or 1998 - but from what I remember, MRI or PET scans usually detected brain abnormalities only after the disease has progressed well passed the mild stages. And they couldn't conclude that you had Alzheimer directly but rather thru the process of elimination. In other words, the personality changes were not due to stroke, concussion, blood clot, etc so it must be Alzheimer.  

I know there are certain at-home genetics tests I can take but those will just tell you if you have the genes of someone that potentially, maybe  could develop Alzheimer some day down the road.  I choose not to take that test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Sea Dog

I'm not retired - at least not officially - but I've endured months long layoffs in the past as well as being "on the bench" while in between contracts in my consulting days. The first few weeks will feel like vacation. Then it will set in that "Hey, I don't have to wake up and go to work tomorrow.....or ever". It might actually be a little off-putting at first but I'm sure you'll get over that feeling quickly.

Enjoy the next & best phase of your life!  Seems like you have a great and rewarding career and it's only fitting that it should be followed by a great & rewarding retirement.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sheal said:

I'm thinking she would have no problem eating bbq everynight.  Is the safe room soundproof?

Not from within.  The only windowless safe room here is the bathroom.🙄

4 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I'm not sure. I'm certain medical technology has advanced since the time my mom was diagnosed - 1997 or 1998 - but from what I remember, MRI or PET scans usually detected brain abnormalities only after the disease has progressed well passed the mild stages. And they couldn't conclude that you had Alzheimer directly but rather thru the process of elimination. In other words, the personality changes were not due to stroke, concussion, blood clot, etc so it must be Alzheimer.  

I know there are certain at-home genetics tests I can take but those will just tell you if you have the genes of someone that potentially, maybe  could develop Alzheimer some day down the road.  I choose not to take that test.

Live every day to the fullest.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

@Ozark_Kid how is Sharon’s hand?

Thanks for asking.  Her hands were aching throughout the day but tolerable.  Right now they are hurting pretty bad.  She was advised not to do much with her hands, especially the one with the fractured thumb but it is very hard for her to not be doing something. She did the laundry earlier and while doing it the hands were ok but it eventually catches up.  The grandkids are spending the afternoon and night with us tomorrow.  Aubrey loves to help around the house. I am hoping the kids keep her preoccupied she lets Aubrey enjoy helping around the house and they love playing games with Shashey (that’s what the grandkids call her)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Live every day to the fullest.

Which is why I choose not to take the genetic test because - assuming its fairly accurate - what would I do with the knowledge that I potentially have a greater chance  of getting the disease and there is not much you can do about it.

I'd pretty much being doing what you said I should be doing either way.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

question - did you buy the samsung s20 or s21?    Eric bought online the s20 and is hoping he will like it, should arrive next week.    

I bought the s21 ultra.  I am not sure what the difference would be. I bought it more for the camera than I did a phone because I rarely use a phone but I do find myself using it more on the road because of the size of the screen. I bet he will like it.  Let me know how he likes it.  I bet there is not much difference.  I am happy to help figure stuff out if needed.

• Like 1

Arizona Memorial in the distance on our way to Aloha Stadium for the Swap Meet to see what we can find.

D5E26A13-A337-4223-AFCD-7AC0127F4FE7.thumb.jpeg.68cbec6c4b89394611b781d77406d94f.jpeg

Lunch was at Rainbow Drive-In, a famous iconic place.  Sorry no pictures.  They don’t allow dine-in so by the time we got the food back to the hotel, it was kind of a mess. Lol.  

One must visit Leonard’s Bakery for their malasadas, a Portuguese fried dough that is light and fluffy when you bite into it.  It is best eaten when it’s hot but by the time we got that back, too, it was just warm but still mmm…mmm good.

1A3B0888-6EE5-48E5-B192-CAF3B8107456.thumb.jpeg.ed4788d4a32006953e47557a16fd99ff.jpeg

We were treated with a rainbow over the skyline in the afternoon.

35700BA9-A407-4FF1-BF15-58B48D7201F4.thumb.jpeg.9c687824207872be5830f22d898ad870.jpeg

Kewalo Cultural Sunset Dinner courtesy of Hilton Grand Vacations

931A6A05-DC81-46DC-A542-3882602C3B77.thumb.jpeg.602a83acf57c0c9e04b033091d252f1e.jpeg

1EB20DB5-704C-4D37-8265-9727A4F8412F.thumb.jpeg.2f26d266c63b2f959c72f99e20502f75.jpeg

Imu ceremony.  Chef and his helpers pulling the Kailua Pua’a (pig) that’s been cooking in the Imu (underground oven).

5BE69FFE-F30F-433D-AFAC-272D762A4B0F.thumb.jpeg.8d3f7d14da1f390b8830a07ce2b52c5a.jpeg

Polynesian singer and Hula dancers

E158F367-BF41-46EC-AD93-28A36B95CA03.thumb.jpeg.980acec22714b9a15f615cba42bcbeff.jpeg

Tahitian dancers

6F2CDC59-C038-43EB-B50B-CEEBD1EE59F7.thumb.jpeg.c3b4edab20aae33b57ce13562aea4c52.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Might raffle Bella off for a 9 month visit starting December '23🤣🤣

Welcome back 👋

Stop teasing John 😀 have you signed up for the World cruise?,  that would be some trip report !!

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

Welcome back 👋

Stop teasing John 😀 have you signed up for the World cruise?,  that would be some trip report !!

Oh, we've reserved a cabin. Or maybe two.😉

More research needed before I commit 16 grand in NRD.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I was wondering, since you have a "history", could u ask for a MRI scan of the brain, just to know "where you stand"?

8 hours ago, HBE4 said:

MRI and PET scan can be used to look at amyloid  deposits and metabolic activity which are thought to correlate with present or future dementia issues but it's value is still in flux. And getting an insurance company to cover the tests just to "know where you stand" is unlikely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Arizona Memorial in the distance on our way to Aloha Stadium for the Swap Meet to see what we can find.

What Covid restrictions does Hawaii have in place now?  I remember that they had a very strict quarantine requirement but I'm assuming that's been relaxed.

10 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

You sure we aren't twins?

Between cruising, YouTube interests, bourbon, technology...we might just be long lost twins.  I may need to look into meeting you in person on the cruise to get a Painkiller at the Soggy Dollar Bar.  Their current view (sigh):

image.png.a648e9beb59ff265536e275d05df3887.png

• Like 7

We had a very interesting and fun dinner last night.  We went to a place called the Salty Pelican.  It's not at all fancy and is popular with locals and tourists alike.  It was a little crowded (usually is) so we sat at the bar rather than waiting for a table.  We like eating at the bar.  It's easier to talk to each other and you often end up talking with the bartenders and others seated next to you.

On our right were 3 people who were transporting a yacht to the Bahamas.  The guy who was right next to us grew up on one of the fairly remote islands of Alaska in the southern part of the state.  He's one of those guys who has had a job doing just about everything at one point or another.  Whenever they are transporting ships, they like to dock overnight at the Fernandina marina and eat at the Salty Pelican.  Fascinating guy to talk to.

On our left were Georgia Bulldog fans.  This Saturday is the huge game between Georgia and Florida that is always played at a neutral field in Jacksonville.  It's known as the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party.  Friends here have warned us that Georgia fans will take over the island for the weekend, as it's an easy drive from here to TIAA Bank Field where the game is played.  We also have a large airport here and several private jets usually fly in today or early tomorrow for the wealthier alumni.  Lots of other Georgia fans walking around proudly wearing their team's colors.  The people next to us were also fun to talk to, with a little bit of mild Georgia vs. Ohio State (my team) banter going back and forth.

Neither of these dinner conversations would have ever happened in Cincinnati. 😁

• Like 10