Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

My grandmother cooked up gravy every Sunday to put on the pasta of the day.

9 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Is it a regional thing?

27 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't know. <---- See, I can say it when it is the case.😇

Maybe a generational thing?

All light-heated kidding aside, the more I think about it, it seems every Italian grandmother I met as a kid - especially the ones that came from the "old" country - would refer to sauce as gravy. And gravy as gravy. Maybe its used as a generic term for any thing that can be poured over a plate of food?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

My grandmother cooked up gravy every Sunday to put on the pasta of the day.

My Italian family always referred to it as sauce . My favorite Italian restaurant of 30 years is closing this month he makes the best sauce , we will now have to make our own more often, he is Sicilian like my family. I never heard his mother speak English and his father had a heavy accent. We were on a cruise last week and program said jazz club had Italian jazz. Found out all four musicians were Italian and three were Sicilian, they were excellent.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Ditto.  My favorite thing about this was a bowl of the gravy and the heel of a nice crusty Italian bread to dip in it.  

One of the many things I miss about living in New York City was the Italian bread . Have not found anything close in Dallas.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

It does not mean that Ocean Boy pronounces it correctly.Residents of Boston do not necessarily pronounce a word the same as a person from Alabama.

Look at it another way 

try an English to Italian dictionary. 
Or an Italian one if you have one. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Did the storms make it up to you?

We did have some rain and I think I heard thunder while I was is bed.    The wind was howling all night long but all good here.    Nothing as severe as the local weather people forecasting.    

I cannot imagine what people in Kentucky and other states hit with tornados are going through.    Horrible!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Venice is such an amazing and unique place. I will never forget the first time I walked out of the train station and saw the Grand Canal. I was in awe.

We took a vaporetto up the Grand Canal and I embarrassed myself by bursting into tears. 
Never in my life had I thought I would ever see Venice. It was an unbelievable moment, when I realized it was real. 
I was actually in Venice!

Impossible dreams do come true!

• Like 9

Just now, jagsfan said:

We took a vaporetto up the Grand Canal and I embarrassed myself by bursting into tears. 
Never in my life had I thought I would ever see Venice. It was an unbelievable moment, when I realized it was real. 

We sailed out of Venice 3 times on Splendour of the seas.

Once we stayed at the 

Hilton Molino Stucky Venice which was on Giudecca island  and got a water taxi from the airport to the hotel.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I was looking for that same feeling when we were supposed to have our 3 week Italy retirement trip last fall.  Obviously, it was cancelled.  Of the various places that we would have visited, I was most looking forward to Venice.  I'm seriously thinking of trying to replicate as much of that trip as possible for some time in 2023.  I might extend it to 4 weeks so that we'll have more time to just sit and soak up the experience.  Even at 3 weeks, I was feeling like we needed to schedule something every day, since there was so much to see and we wouldn't be in one place that long.  I'm much more relaxed now than when I was planning that trip.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

My DH hates them, and always asks for regular peas with his fish and chips .  

We thought we would hate them, and ignored them the first couple of times we had Fish and Chips. 
Then came the time we were so hungry we scraped our plates, and found out we really like them. 
My first opportunity to try Fish and Chips was in Brighton many years ago. 
I love shellfish, but not fish. 
Dick loves fish so we stopped at a shop and he got his Fish and Chips wrapped in fake newspaper and walked down the street a very happy man. 
I decided to just taste a bit of the fish and it was WONDERFUL!

So it became our favorite pub food along with steak and kidney pie. (Which has gotten difficult to find!)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sgmn said:

My DH hates them, and always asks for regular peas with his fish and chips .  

I painstakingly remove peas from every dish I find them in.  Sort of like raisins 👎

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Ask away. I especially like it when I know the correct answer to the question.😇

NONONONONO No more questions!!

56 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Another hot topic for debate!  

I am inserting another "oy vey" here.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Not sure where in England that is.

As kids we called the Kitchen 

The Scullery.

When I asked in my hotel how to get to Beauchamp (Place, Street?) I pronounced it Beecham because that’s how my London friends said it. 
The concierge asked me to write it down…I did, and he said “oh, Byoo-champ.”

Regional differences are real. 
in the US, the top of your house can be the rooof, which sounds like pool, or the ruf, which sounds like look. 
But it’s always spelled roof!

• Like 2