Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Found on FB

Expected Death ~ When someone dies, the first thing to do is nothing. Don't run out and call the nurse. Don't pick up the phone. Take a deep breath and be present to the magnitude of the moment. 

There's a grace to being at the bedside of someone you love as they make their transition out of this world. At the moment they take their last breath, there's an incredible sacredness in the space. The veil between the worlds opens.

We're so unprepared and untrained in how to deal with death that sometimes a kind of panic response kicks in. "They're dead!" 

We knew they were going to die, so their being dead is not a surprise. It's not a problem to be solved. It's very sad, but it's not cause to panic.

If anything, their death is cause to take a deep breath, to stop, and be really present to what's happening. If you're at home, maybe put on the kettle and make a cup of tea.

Sit at the bedside and just be present to the experience in the room. What's happening for you? What might be happening for them? What other presences are here that might be supporting them on their way? Tune into all the beauty and magic. 

Pausing gives your soul a chance to adjust, because no matter how prepared we are, a death is still a shock. If we kick right into "do" mode, and call 911, or call the hospice, we never get a chance to absorb the enormity of the event.

Give yourself five minutes or 10 minutes, or 15 minutes just to be. You'll never get that time back again if you don't take it now.

After that, do the smallest thing you can. Call the one person who needs to be called. Engage whatever systems need to be engaged, but engage them at the very most minimal level. Move really, really, really, slowly, because this is a period where it's easy for body and soul to get separated.

Our bodies can gallop forwards, but sometimes our souls haven't caught up. If you have an opportunity to be quiet and be present, take it. Accept and acclimatize and adjust to what's happening. Then, as the train starts rolling, and all the things that happen after a death kick in, you'll be better prepared.

You won't get a chance to catch your breath later on. You need to do it now. 

Being present in the moments after death is an incredible gift to yourself, it's a gift to the people you're with, and it's a gift to the person who's just died. They're just a hair's breath away. They're just starting their new journey in the world without a body. If you keep a calm space around their body, and in the room, they're launched in a more beautiful way. It's a service to both sides of the veil.

Credit for the beautiful words ~ Sarah Kerr,  Ritual Healing Practitioner and Death Doula , Death doula
Beautiful art by Columbus Community Deathcare 

#alwayswithlove #dying #death

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

I still cry over a dog that passed away probably more than 15 years ago.  She was the best.  In the end she was blind and diabetic maybe that's why it still tugs at my heartstrings just thinking about her

Chewie has been gone 10. He was our best dog ever. He's on the left. Princess in on the right

IMG_20151214_204107.jpg.8889a4d6a4048356a1d34270148233a1.jpg

• Like 15

Last night, we crossed state lines to take in the culinary and cultural offerings of Youngstown, Ohio.  We met some friends at an Italian restaurant, and from the crowd that was gathered there, we knew it must be good.  Unfortunately, I had to limit myself to some wedding soup and adult beverages, since I had too much to eat at the Christmas luncheon.

Then it was off to see “Elf, the musical” at the Youngstown Playhouse.

FEC8B9D1-7536-4553-A643-0CF6D8551E48.thumb.jpeg.e7ea11e0aa8c4122a0fde18590400930.jpeg

As Santa walked by at the beginning of the show, he turned to me and asked if I was on his naughty list.😂. He said he was pretty sure I was on it last year!

For a local group, they put on an entertaining show.  The individual playing Buddy the Elf stole the show, and the young boy who played Buddy’s brother had a great performance for someone so young.   Santa wasn’t too bad either.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Have you ever had the experience if viewing a lightening show at sea? So beautiful sitting on a balcony with a glass of 

Yes! I love lightning shows at sea.  I remember it felt calm with a cool breeze  while at a distance watching it light up across the water .  Beautiful 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

So I debated whether to post this as people might think me odd... When I lost my dog I had her cremated. She is in the curio in the family room. Someday when I go she is coming with me. 

A new word I've learned today 👍.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Have you ever had the experience if viewing a lightening show at sea? So beautiful sitting on a balcony with a glass of wine.

When we sailed away from Venice (nowadays a thing of the past), a very heavy storm was brewing, and followed us during a few hours "above" the Med. DH didn't catch any lighting, though....

P1040681.jpg2.thumb.jpg.db6392a3e6ff81cc1eca2ed7e8c599d1.jpg

58 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Tons of snow here in MN!

The snow is so beautiful when it is pristine 😁

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

How did your area do with the storms/tornadoes?

I hope all is well.

Horrible to see the devastation in Kentucky.      The storm is headed east and is to hit our area this evening.     We just took down our wreath, christmas santa flag and secured some other Christmas decorations as the wind is starting to pick up here.     

Very windy here now.There is a wind Advisory for the next few hours.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm glad the Italians did good for you.😇

Hey, OB you must be our resident all things Italian expert.  My sister and I have a running battle.  She claims the Italian word for kitchen, cucina is pronounced CUSEENA  I think it's pronounced CUCHEENA, (CH like chin).  Who wins the cigar?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We saw a fantastic lightening show as well as eruptions when sailing past Stromboli.

Graham 

I picked up a rental car at the Phoenix Az airport and headed west to visit my aunt. 
I was treated to a lightning show like I’ve never seen before or since. 
Where I live in Florida, lightning heads for tall trees or the ground. Or the ocean. 
It’s long jagged bolts. 
That night in Arizona, it was crawling all over the sky. The sky was almost solid with it. I don’t remember seeing any headed toward  the ground, it was like spaghetti covering the sky!

This may be run of the mill lightning for most of you, but it was absolutely amazing to me!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Found on FB

Expected Death ~ When someone dies, the first thing to do is nothing. Don't run out and call the nurse. Don't pick up the phone. Take a deep breath and be present to the magnitude of the moment. 

There's a grace to being at the bedside of someone you love as they make their transition out of this world. At the moment they take their last breath, there's an incredible sacredness in the space. The veil between the worlds opens.

We're so unprepared and untrained in how to deal with death that sometimes a kind of panic response kicks in. "They're dead!" 

We knew they were going to die, so their being dead is not a surprise. It's not a problem to be solved. It's very sad, but it's not cause to panic.

If anything, their death is cause to take a deep breath, to stop, and be really present to what's happening. If you're at home, maybe put on the kettle and make a cup of tea.

Sit at the bedside and just be present to the experience in the room. What's happening for you? What might be happening for them? What other presences are here that might be supporting them on their way? Tune into all the beauty and magic. 

Pausing gives your soul a chance to adjust, because no matter how prepared we are, a death is still a shock. If we kick right into "do" mode, and call 911, or call the hospice, we never get a chance to absorb the enormity of the event.

Give yourself five minutes or 10 minutes, or 15 minutes just to be. You'll never get that time back again if you don't take it now.

After that, do the smallest thing you can. Call the one person who needs to be called. Engage whatever systems need to be engaged, but engage them at the very most minimal level. Move really, really, really, slowly, because this is a period where it's easy for body and soul to get separated.

Our bodies can gallop forwards, but sometimes our souls haven't caught up. If you have an opportunity to be quiet and be present, take it. Accept and acclimatize and adjust to what's happening. Then, as the train starts rolling, and all the things that happen after a death kick in, you'll be better prepared.

You won't get a chance to catch your breath later on. You need to do it now. 

Being present in the moments after death is an incredible gift to yourself, it's a gift to the people you're with, and it's a gift to the person who's just died. They're just a hair's breath away. They're just starting their new journey in the world without a body. If you keep a calm space around their body, and in the room, they're launched in a more beautiful way. It's a service to both sides of the veil.

Credit for the beautiful words ~ Sarah Kerr,  Ritual Healing Practitioner and Death Doula , Death doula
Beautiful art by Columbus Community Deathcare 

#alwayswithlove #dying #death

I guess the key word here is expected death.  Can’t say I agree with everything that is written. 

Edited by NHProud
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, NHProud said:

I guess the key word here is expected death.  Can’t say I agree with everything that is written. 

It's a hospice thing.

My grandmother passed on 12/31/1999 just as it hit midnight. I wasn't there, but my mother said the fireworks started almost simultaneously. No one said a word and just watched the fireworks from her hospital window.

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Hey, OB you must be our resident all things Italian expert.  My sister and I have a running battle.  She claims the Italian word for kitchen, cucina is pronounced CUSEENA  I think it's pronounced CUCHEENA, (CH like chin).  Who wins the cigar?

You do.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

It is pronounced like CUC INA 

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

So I debated whether to post this as people might think me odd... When I lost my dog I had her cremated. She is in the curio in the family room. Someday when I go she is coming with me. 

Not odd at all.    I have my Splashes in a nice decorative cedar box on my fireplace mantel and my Jasmine has been in a ceramic urn in my spare bedroom for several years on a shelf near window with several plants

All our other pets have been buried in our backyard in an area that I turned into a rose and lavender bed.   

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We had a rough 2 hour ride home.  The wind gust seemed stronger than the reported 28 mph gust. Semi trailers kept getting blown into the other lane.  We had to pass two semi’s with double trailers.  The rain was blinding at times.  The cool thing was the lightning light show!

Thank God you all got home safely last night.  Great pictures of a great gift from your kids!

• Like 2