Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

24 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

We visited my mom at the VA today. She was showing signs of pain this morning so they gave her some meds. She slept through our visit. On our way in we stopped by the bird house they have and snapped this post-card pic of birds all in a row. It just made me happy for some reason.

20220911_155912.jpg

Real birds in an aviary? That is so cool! What a neat thing to have, I could probably watch that endlessly. I'm glad that you at least got to see your mom. Merry Christmas. ☺️

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Real birds in an aviary? That is so cool! What a neat thing to have, I could probably watch that endlessly. I'm glad that you at least got to see your mom. Merry Christmas. ☺️

Yup.  Very large. Lots of small birds. Can't hear them chirp tho. 

There is also a huge aquarium in the lobby area. Lots of  stimulation for the residents.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

So my plans have gone awry. I’ve been sitting in the Oakland airport for six hours. They keep delaying my flight 15 minutes at a time.

Flight delays with the storm have become a norm.  My son and his family were delayed a couple times flying here from SFO. The plane was there, but they had to wait till they had a full crew. They were delayed about an hour and a half, but they finally made it here. 

Now my daughter is anxiously watching all the cancellations, and hoping their flight tomorrow is not canceled.  

Hope you made your flight.  

• Like 7

36C today.  Spent the day in my swimmers. Laps in the morning per previous post, friend’s pool in the early afternoon then the beach in the late afternoon.

This is the beach at 6pm tonight (lifesavers stop patrolling the beach at 6.30pm)F2913433-56EC-449B-934B-7A0788B5BFA3.thumb.jpeg.1c24772c7a1018771bc89ff7adfdc2bf.jpeg

8D13CCF6-EF33-4CAB-8852-ADBBFC16CB16.thumb.jpeg.7975c548a9431439d2550e0230243f08.jpeg

A child’s new Christmas toy had perfect conditions:

639EC5F5-A4FE-48A6-8CA5-665EB87FE327.thumb.png.de14053513e654832115c5c2acad82c2.png

Left DH to sleep on the beach, whilst I walked up to the headland to watch the paragliders.

B0F97C86-E5FD-4FA8-80C6-652A438B3FBB.thumb.jpeg.7d933022a7074192a774bf711e5ce994.jpeg

Watched this guy try to get airborne for 30mins but it didn’t happen.AB3162F5-BC01-4588-8733-B7FB5BCD6D97.thumb.jpeg.a1fb7625c6ec5befd6c30a54f276523d.jpeg

This guy took off immediately and was having a blast.

Forecast for tomorrow is the same.  Going to make the most of it before I have to head back to the office on Wednesday.  Only 4 of us in the office, so super casual and we are ordering in pizza for lunch.

Meanwhile, DS is having a blast in Canada and not missing the Australian summer at all.

737DAF69-13A3-4F44-B762-B48991BAD2B1.thumb.jpeg.ad8325eb0bf28941af8146d8fc58fd29.jpeg

910DB1F9-8399-4215-938F-BF836ED4AB61.thumb.jpeg.85e0b7efcfe3ce27e781a1eac7e17124.jpeg

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Her flight is the one trying to get here. Yesterday’s flights to Florida were canceled, as were today’s.  We are hoping they don’t cancel tomorrow, so they can get here. 

Sending prayers 🙏 that your daughter gets there soon Mark.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Sending prayers 🙏 that your daughter gets there soon Mark.

2 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Apologies, misread your post.  Fingers crossed she is able to join you.

Thanks!   There were a lot of things that had to be changed to try and make this happen this year.  Our daughter wanted to try and keep things normal for our grandkids, and carry on our Holiday tradition.  

She told her kids this morning, that there was a possibility they would not make it down.  Of course, they would be really disappointed. 

So, last night we carried on our tradition, with a Japanese hibachi meal.  The place was really packed, but the food was delicious. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

A couple beach pictures from yesterday.  I guess people in Florida don’t go to the beach when it is a little chilly. 

DD0414D1-5B7E-452A-805A-9B33B3C67924.thumb.jpeg.02cd71b0a18d914833a544a377f8923b.jpeg

E0253D6C-C495-44D7-859A-67DBA8516078.thumb.jpeg.c0a611686cd3ff6aed2fd1d66d3c75bb.jpeg

Usually, I run from the waves like this, but for a change, the water is much warmer than the air. 

IMG_6486.MOV 75.07 MB · 0 downloads  

You are right.

• Like 3

A Very Merry Sea Dog Christmas

IMG_0360.thumb.jpg.4b29e5bbf5ab2376b58ed10b1ad74e8e.jpg

Sorry I have not been keeping up it's been crazy at Sea Dog Christmas central.  I'm exhausted today but will do my best to keep celebrating. I celebrate the twelve days of Christmas up till January 7, the epiphany. Here is the recap. Sorry not a lot of pics were taken.

Christmas Eve

Linda, Jonathan and I went over to Linda's cousin's house a radiologist in swanky rich part of Kansas City where they have huge old world mansion complete with a giant stone fireplace and life size suit of armor and stain glass windows. I felt Like I could have been in a King Arthur movie. Approximately 25 people all from Linda's side of the family ate incredible BBQ from a very well know upscale BBQ joint called Q-39. The highlight was afterwards, when a scene out of Christmas Story occurred when their dog jumped up on the kitchen island and pulled down the container that had all the leftover brisket and ribs and preceded to eat every bit of it. So much for leftovers.

IMG_0358.thumb.jpeg.df74a9a782514adc1ec976fe88e965e3.jpeg

Back at home, I got out the reindeer dust to spread out on the lawn. Reindeer dust consists of Quaker Oats, and red and green glitter. We throw this out to feed Santa's reindeer while Santa is inside. We have been doing this since Jonathan was a little kid. He indulges me now as I remind him that someday after I am gone he will smile and laugh at our tradition.

IMG_0364.thumb.jpeg.abe13f56bc01e7f0d199f3913ce29069.jpeg

After everyone had gone to bed, I did what I love to do every year and be Santa. I am different than most in that we don't put presents out under the tree until Christmas morning. There is something magical and wonderful about seeing a once barren tree now filled with colorful presents.

IMG_0361.thumb.jpeg.d56e1b62c2c27326ade44ff96adabe2f.jpeg

Quiet time with everyone all nestled snug in their beds. Time for Santa and a glass of Christmas warmth. Kirkland (Costco) brand of XO Cognac is actually pretty good and about 3 times cheaper. I sat quietly reflecting on this special holiday that  I love so much.

IMG_0363.thumb.jpeg.11bcffb492fa0e7c10225b63bdf6f141.jpeg

I love You Tube's Yule Log. This one had all the old tunes that I loved. I ended up listening to old classic Christmas songs till 2:30am and then I finally went to bed. But before I do, I do a ritual that I have been doing every year since I was a little kid.

20201210211256_ee6e29751e14e2d0b152dfddedd37ecf16a7388024485557d4b4fd7ae6f8efe1.jpeg.b242ad564526978ccb8765018b1bb82c.jpeg

I would go look out my window  (now I actually go outside) and find the brightest star I can find. Hopefully it's the Christmas Star (Shown here in illustration, not actual picture I took) and make a Christmas Wish and Prayer. I always start out with the classic poem.

"Star light, star bright,
The first star I see, tonight,
I wish I may,
I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight".

I then wish and pray for my family and blessings for Christmas Day and the future.

IMG_0365.thumb.jpeg.1b233cc86710dca2eb8bf40db02eceb0.jpeg

CHRISTMAS MORNING

Up at 7:30 wide awake we got the dogs up and went downstairs. Jonathan finally joined up and then it was a free for all with the pups opening presents.

We were eventually joined by Kylar (Jonathan's first cat) but he also brought his cat Drave over and a new addition a female rescue cat he adopted that he named Beans. She is really sweet and lovable but not a big fan of the dogs.

IMG_0387.thumb.jpeg.f5dfae4abfa328cbd0b5b75eb99669bd.jpeg

Kylar above

IMG_0390.thumb.jpeg.9d979c93be42aa6d5988d00005c06a60.jpeg

Drave

IMG_0386.thumb.jpeg.6cfa223c365dd1d1cfde2277b4ec35ac.jpeg

Newest addition Beans.

Santa was very good to us. Highlight was Linda's combo Birthday (Her's is Dec. 22nd) and a post 25th Anniversary present that you might remember me asking about finding a Stella McCartney Bag on Symphony of the Seas. I was hoping to find it on Liberty of the Seas during our Anniversary October 18th, but had to settle for getting it later and presenting it during Christmas.

image_50425857.thumb.JPG.e44a92585f15bf331db7bf0a86609b26.JPG

I made out ok with my new Tommy Bahama shirt for the Bella Cruise.

IMG_0373.thumb.jpeg.c3e509355c2b028371d99d674ef662ca.jpeg

Also a Sea Dog sweatshirt and the great book by Fred Minnick on the history of American Bourbon and Whiskey.

IMG_0376.thumb.jpeg.52b18798847fa86adce74693fc837bae.jpeg

CHRISTMAS AFTERNOON

In the afternoon we went to Linda's other cousin's house which is conveniently located just a couple of blocks from us. It was a great feast of Italian Lasagna, Meatballs,  Prime Rib,  Caesar Salad and some incredible desserts. This however was the highlight. 

Prosciutto-Wrapped-Baked-Brie-in-Pastry-5.thumb.jpeg.abaaec9d4b659acafc5bb111819eea32.jpeg

A incredible appetizer of prosciutto wrapped baked brie in pastry. This was the best appetizer I had ever eaten. I had to get the recipe and here it is. I highly recommend this.

https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/prosciutto-wrapped-baked-brie/

It was a wonderful afternoon spent with family Jonathan even gifted one of his nieces with a ticket to the Kansas City Taylor Swift (OB"s neighbor) concert that Jonathan got several tickets to paying over $700 per ticket which is insane. His niece is a huge fan and I thought it was extremely generous of him to not only gift it but take her.

BACK HOME

Time to relax and settle in for some more Christmas movies. Between all the Hallmark movies, Lifetime, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Disney, Hulu and others I watched over 50 movies during this holiday season. I know I am a freak but a freak in the most fun way. CHRISTMAS! I was left with Charlie staring at me while I ate fudge.

IMG_0362.thumb.jpeg.6b19b5cb165c5d2d3e85bd8a67892229.jpeg

It was a great day. Now time to take it easy. My other knee is killing me and I can't hardly walk. Guess it's time to get another knee replacement. I am sorry if I missed anyone's posts. Thank you to anyone who took the time to read all this. You are all family to me and I love sharing my life with you.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Wishing our friends in England,Graham and Pauline and Sue and family, a pleasant Boxing Day !

It is a relax day here.Hoping everyone has a good day.

Sunny and a bit warmer- it was 25 degrees at 8:30 this morning-warming up a bit !

MJ🙋🏻

It may reach 60 in LI by the end of the week.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Just a warning for everyone. I suffered a Kracken injury last night opening the bottle, so be careful folks 😂!

Deb, I hope it's not too painful for you. Your nail polish is just my taste...😉

16 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Thank you, April.  I'm sorry to hear that you and Jim are coming down with a cold now, but as you said, it was worth it to have had your daughter and grandchildren visit!💕

Feel better!  Merry Christmas to you and Jim!🎄

+ 1, April & Jim @akcruz

Nice way to spend your day.  Merry Christmas, Mark, Susan, and family!

+ 1, Mark & co.  @h20skibum

Hugs to you all during this Christmas Season, Marietta.❤️

+ 1, Marietta & co.  @DaniDanielle

14 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

This year, I am planning to add swimming laps on a regular basis, in addition to the walking.

As a regular swimmer, I find it very relaxing. And your pool is amazing, seems it is Olympic size?

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas Day, despite the extreme weather.

+ 1

One of the many items I gifted my dad this Christmas was liquor chocolates.  

I'm using liquor chocolate as an ingredient for my snow white chocolate cookies --

image.thumb.jpeg.330d5baaa36f63e40f156486b8b1e5c9.jpeg

In the background, a pirate book for our grandkids, thinking of you, Greg @Sea Dog

11 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

On the road to Los Angeles for the Holiday week. 

Beautiful pictures, Harry, thanks for sharing. Enjoy your holiday with the whole family, and a Happy New Year to you all.

7 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@Tree_skier hope you made that flight @h20skibum hope you daughter’s inbound flight is not cancelled.

+ 1 

48 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

IMG_0364.thumb.jpeg.abe13f56bc01e7f0d199f3913ce29069.jpeg

Greg, thank you so much for your stories and pictures of Christmas.

Until I've started this thread, I had absolutely no idea how much time, energy, love & ... yes, money, people invest in decorating their homes and gardens for this special holiday.

I only knew about the tree, under it some presents (love, love the variety of all the wrapping paper and ribbons, and the knots used -- amazing) and the socks...

Since I hate cold, we never travel during this period, and the pictures in newspapers/TV do not show actually all the lights and shows everywhere.

I'm learning so much from this thread, interacting with so many different people from different parts of the world. It brings me so much joy and contentment. 

Thank you, all.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

@Sea Dog Greg, thank you for sharing your Christmas Day with us.  Your love of Christmas is truly special and your wish upon a star on Christmas Eve is a beautiful tradition.  Glad your Christmas Day festivities were so enjoyable for you and your family. Love the new t-shirt for the Bella cruise.  Your video of one of your pups “assisting” with the opening of the presents, is the reason why we have never had presents under the tree.  Do you keep a record of the Christmas movies you watch?  If so, do you have a top 3 from this year that you would recommend?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@Sea Dog Greg, thank you for sharing your Christmas Day with us.  Your love of Christmas is truly special and your wish upon a star on Christmas Eve is a beautiful tradition.  Glad your Christmas Day festivities were so enjoyable for you and your family. Love the new t-shirt for the Bella cruise.  Your video of one of your pups “assisting” with the opening of the presents, is the reason why we have never had presents under the tree.  Do you keep a record of the Christmas movies you watch?  If so, do you have a top 3 from this year that you would recommend?

Thank you for your comments. I have my traditional favorites in Christmas movies that I watch but of the news ones and ones I have never seen are

1) A Christmas Story Christmas - HBO Max (sequel to a Christmas Story with all original actors)

2) I Believe in Santa -Netflix ( basically a movie about me and how I think)

3) Love Actually - rent or find (actually an older movie but I had never seen it. Great stories with a huge cast of well known like Hugh Grant and Liam Neilson.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@dani negreanu you asked about the swimming pool I posted photos of. The pool is a 50 metre heated outdoor pool.  They do have a floating barrier that they occasionally install to make it 25 metres if the pool is being used for other activities but I prefer swimming the 50 metre distance.

The indoor section has a wonderful children’s pool, two smaller pools - one for children’s swimming lessons and one for leisure exercises very popular for people who like to walk in water.  

Cost to use the pool is $9 for an adult or you can buy a pass.

There is also a room upstairs for pilates classes and an gym room.

The Zumba classes in the 50metre pool are very popular.  The group of ladies who attend the classes have even started travelling together.  The first trip was to Sri Lanka and more recently they travelled to Greece.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Wishing our friends in England,Graham and Pauline and Sue and family, a pleasant Boxing Day !

It is a relax day here.Hoping everyone has a good day.

Sunny and a bit warmer- it was 25 degrees at 8:30 this morning-warming up a bit !

MJ🙋🏻

Thank you so much MJ.

Our best wishes are sent to you for a nice Boxing day and a Happy new year.

Graham.

• Like 1