Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

12 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

LONG.

I want to tell you how important is to share your thoughts, your musings, what's bothering you, what's confusing you, with friends and family.

1) I've always been a very avid reader. In childhood and young adulthood in Romania, I was devouring every book in sight. I was walking to my tennis and ballet lessons while reading a book. Luckily, in the early fifties of the previous millennium, there were not many people on the streets and cards on the roads.

One of the books that stuck to my mind involved a dog, named Dingo (but the book's plot was not in Australia), who died at the book's end and slavery. Dingo was not the title. 

For many years I've tried to find out the book's name, without results. Tried to ask on Google, no finds.

Then the "new kid in town" -- chatgpt -- arrived, and I said to myself -- for sure the "chat" will know. To my huge disappointment, the chat immediately gave me 5 books with Dingo in the title. I've tried and tried, but the "chat" kept asking for more details... Hey, buddy, if I had more details, I didn't need your help... I gave up.

At the week end, I've shared with my sons and DIL my frustration. All 3 of them googled the "data" and, surprise -- my DIL found a plot ticking "my" boxes. I read the summary, and, YES, found it -- Dick Sand, A captain at fifteen, by Jules Verne. I've read all of Verne's books, the famous ones, didn't remember this one. DIL said: "you didn't ask Google the right questions"....

Of course, I've immediately ordered it on Kindle.

I cannot describe how relieved I felt after this. It was something that for years was in the back of my mind, and I've often said to myself that I'll die without finding, again, the book's name.

2) For the last year, I've checked options to visit Marrakech, but the flights back to Israel are awful. ALL of them leave between 11PM and midnight. It means checking out at 11am more or less, and wandering, "homeless", until late evening. Moreover, when our security guys at the airport hear that you've left your luggage at the hotel/rented house, they get very suspicious. I don't sleep in planes. So round and round I kept checking flights, no dice.

At an evening with friends, I've aired out my frustration. One of my friends, the coolest guy on earth, said: "what's the problem? you don't have to fly BACK from Marrakech!! fly to another very near airport, like Marseille, or Barcelona, find a quick connection, or stay a night, and fetch a "normal" flight back to Israel".

Eurika!!! 

Found a noon flight from Marrakech to Madrid (a mere 2 hours flight), and decided to spend 3 days in Madrid too, since last time we were there was... 1976. Then a noon flight to Israel. "Problem" solved.

Marrakech, finally, here we go....

3) Speaking of the flight to Marrakech... I'm not keen on the seats we have, and I was following the seat's map, hopefully, for cancellations. The seats didn't "move", but I've noticed a very nice drop of price... The tickets are already paid. No refunds. What to do?

Again, talking with my sons and DIL, she said: "why don't you phone [being on hold an hour or two...], may be they'll let you cancel for a fee, but if the fee will be less than the drop in price, it will be worth it?"

That's what I've done. The cancellation fee was 50$ pp, and the gain was 250$.

I still have the same seats...☹️

Talk, share, speak your mind, it costs nothing, and the results are wonderful.

Your discussion about the book struck a chord with me.  As a child I spent lots of time at the library and usually brought home as many books as I could carry.  Back then the books had a paper card with the check out information.  There was one book I loved and I checked it out frequently.  As I got older I guess I outgrew the story and forgot about it.  A few years ago I somehow remembered it and started hunting.  I didn’t know the author or title but remembered a few character’s names and the plot.  I was actually able to find it and Amazon had it on kindle.  Due to arthritis in my hands I don’t use real books anymore.  It’s definitely a childhood book, but I reread it frequently.  I love the memories it evokes.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, brillohead said:

Okay, since we talk about random stuff here.... what's everyone's "lottery dream"?  

Speaking of the Lottery, a winning Power Ball ticket worth 161 Million was sold just 12 miles from our house.

So close but yet so far !

https://www.wdbj7.com/2023/03/05/161-million-powerball-ticket-sold-pulaski-county/

First thing I would do is buy everyone on this thread a 7 day cruise. 🙂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, brillohead said:

My family had a 1974 Chevy Caprice Classic, and my fave riding place on road trips was that huge back dash!  Gosh, that thing was the size of the Titanic!  

That's what I took my driving test in. But I think it was a '76

Parallel parked it perfectly 😁

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

each GM brand had their own quirks

Quirks you say? How about the use of plastic intake manifolds on the 3.8 engines that had the EGR tube  piped in right next to the throttle body, which eventually burned a hole through the plastic and wound up causing hydrolock once the coolant leaks into the engine?  Happened on my '95 Riviera...while driving. You lose power real quick. Entire engine was ruined. Amazingly (more like thankfully) it happened only a few miles from home. We had just finished a 3,000+ mile road trip and then the engine blew only a few days later. SOMEtimes you get lucky. Though in the case of this car, a replacement engine that was put in also self-distructed after only 8 years - threw a crankshaft rod right through the block. BANG!!!! Most dramatic....once again, you stop REAL quick. 3rd engine is still going but really time for something new. I have a buyer for the '95 - a local guy that had the exact same car and model and so has often asked me about if I'd want to sell it. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My first car was a 1972 Chevy Impala

Mine was a 70s Dodge Dart - not sure of the year. It was totaled in a near head-on collision (thankfully I'm still here) and then I replaced it with a '73 Ford Maverick...green with yellow pin stripes...Oh yeah...thought it was da bomb 😆 except it had no a/c. My dad, who was a mechanic and ran a shop, installed a homemade system with the blower right below the glove compartment, so when my wife and I started dating, she always brought along a blanket to cover her knees and legs since the thing blew right on her. Amazing she actually stayed with me. However, the bracket he made to hold the air compressor used to break occasionally - of course always on the hottest days while driving 2 hours to grad school. I could tell right away from the sounds coming from under the hood that the thing broke, only to be re-welded, and then would break again...and so forth. Speaking of a/c, my parents had a '65 Pontiac Grand Prix...man, that thing had some power. It was one of earliest models - at least of that car - to have factory air. Two vents were mounted on the back below the rear window, so when it really got cranked up it used to shoot ice chips at you...you'd be sitting in the back (or even front) and all of a sudden...ZING...right in the back of the neck!!  Funny...guess they didn't have it perfected yet as to temperature regulation. Neat car though. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Mine was a 70s Dodge Dart - not sure of the year. It was totaled in a near head-on collision (thankfully I'm still here) and then I replaced it with a '73 Ford Maverick...green with yellow pin stripes...Oh yeah...thought it was da bomb 😆 except it had no a/c. My dad, who was a mechanic and ran a shop, installed a homemade system with the blower right below the glove compartment, so when my wife and I started dating, she always brought along a blanket to cover her knees and legs since the thing blew right on her. Amazing she actually stayed with me. However, the bracket he made to hold the air compressor used to break occasionally - of course always on the hottest days while driving 2 hours to grad school. I could tell right away from the sounds coming from under the hood that the thing broke, only to be re-welded, and then would break again...and so forth. Speaking of a/c, my parents had a '65 Pontiac Grand Prix...man, that thing had some power. It was one of earliest models - at least of that car - to have factory air. Two vents were mounted on the back below the rear window, so when it really got cranked up it used to shoot ice chips at you...you'd be sitting in the back (or even front) and all of a sudden...ZING...right in the back of the neck!!  Funny...guess they didn't have it perfected yet as to temperature regulation. Neat car though. 

Neither of my parents ever drove a car and I only drove two.In 1985 I bought a Chevy Eurosport .I drove it for 18 years.That car and I had many interesting adventures.In 1985 when the car was brand new I was driving home from a party and I should not have been driving because I was very far from being sober .I said to the car “you have to get me home”.It was 3AM .The only smart thing I did was not to take the highway for the 15 mile ride.Somehow I got home safely .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Quirks you say? How about the use of plastic intake manifolds on the 3.8 engines that had the EGR tube  piped in right next to the throttle body, which eventually burned a hole through the plastic and wound up causing hydrolock once the coolant leaks into the engine?  Happened on my '95 Riviera...while driving. You lose power real quick. Entire engine was ruined. Amazingly (more like thankfully) it happened only a few miles from home. We had just finished a 3,000+ mile road trip and then the engine blew only a few days later. SOMEtimes you get lucky. Though in the case of this car, a replacement engine that was put in also self-distructed after only 8 years - threw a crankshaft rod right through the block. BANG!!!! Most dramatic....once again, you stop REAL quick. 3rd engine is still going but really time for something new. I have a buyer for the '95 - a local guy that had the exact same car and model and so has often asked me about if I'd want to sell it. 

Referring to the 1960's 😉

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

1985 I bought a Chevy Eurosport

I did too!! Same car-  '85 Celebrity Eurosport. Grey exterior with dark maroon upholstered interior. Very nice car. Gave great service. Not sure, in retrospect, why I traded it in after only 10 years, especially since the car I have now I've been driving for close to 28 years..which has given more than its share of problems during that time. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 3/5/2023 at 9:09 AM, bobmacliberty said:

The Super Car section is always a favorite.  This Aston Martin looked like the Batmobile.  The aerodynamic detail was incredible...all to give it just a slight bit of additional downforce that could mean the difference in a race.

APC_3928.thumb.JPG.0dfaf11c02fe1af52540e53709f70087.JPG

For anyone with 20 minutes to burn, this video came up in my on one of my YouTube channels that I follow.  Quite the video.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I did too!! Same car-  '85 Celebrity Eurosport. Grey exterior with dark maroon upholstered interior. Very nice car. Gave great service. Not sure, in retrospect, why I traded it in after only 10 years, especially since the car I have now I've been driving for close to 28 years..which has given more than its share of problems during that time. 

Same exterior and interior here .I never had any major problems,never even a flat tire,no accidents.I drove it for pleasure and in the late 90’s for work.

• Like 2

My first car in high school was a 1970 Plymouth Duster, it was Blue with a white top............Turned out to be a car where it was fill the Oil and check the gas when going into a gas station.

Next car was a 1968 Chevelle SS Fire Engine Red with a black top and shiny mag wheels. Car was totaled when someone rear ended me making a left hand turn on Rt 38, in Mt holly before they put the divider in and the start of jug handles.(A Jersey thing) lol

Saw the lady behind me coming fast and not moving to the right around me, Stepped on the gas right before she hit me, it I hadn't done that I would have sure ended up with at least whip lash.

This was my 3rd car, A 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, here is a picture of the car my Mom got made for me, still have this picture hanging up in our Garage in Virginia. It was sharp, had a T-top too. Real eye catcher!

20230306_132008.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Same exterior and interior here

Huh...maybe it only came in a limited number of color combinations. It was a nice combination. 

42 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

This was my 3rd car, A 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

Cool stories (well, except, of course for the accident!)  All those cars met the true definition of "full sized"! I always get a kick out of, when traveling in Europe, most people have these little, short cars. I'd NEVER find a place to park or be able to navigate those narrow, winding streets over there with my 207" long Buick! That's pretty long by today's standards, at least for most cars I suspect. 

I'll be interested to see this Sony / Honda Afeela (EV) when it comes out. Very futuristic looking. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

We had my MIL’s 90th Birthday Dinner at Lawry’s Prime Rib on Saturday night. Everything was delicious. 

0EF01669-AD4B-4918-95E8-BC650D547953.thumb.jpeg.3e9880eec81010571437917ba079c2ba.jpeg

Appetizers - Grilled Shrimp Skewers, Mini Crab Cakes, Seared Ahi Tuna & Trio of Deviled Eggs

A4785953-04B5-4694-AB75-CD3E79216EAC.thumb.jpeg.47f3ca71858a2e0f253fe761abeea3ff.jpeg

F43A56B1-5746-4EC2-B6DF-6E4E91F921AC.thumb.jpeg.febc698622c52b62d9acd955d6a17998.jpeg

1F906875-720D-4247-9B23-44B35A8F75D1.thumb.jpeg.6b3b8f4f0d5b6570bc4ebf397f1ee366.jpeg

9453BC30-3597-40A3-AEE6-8010CD1CBBB4.thumb.jpeg.52f59cbe9eafb36318013e5eaca0a357.jpeg

My Mango Mai Tai

A4CFAD55-2D7D-46A8-9CC8-585ECFA420E5.thumb.jpeg.772c90d881ecd555aa66153fe7fbd09b.jpeg

Lawry’s Famous Original Spinning Bowl Salad

3223A94F-B6B3-419A-B62F-3CE6704EBE64.thumb.jpeg.621c3603f834b552e4c3f031cf9bdfdb.jpeg

First Course - Fresh Lobster Tail

2D284D14-D7EA-4971-807C-C15FD61A0B64.thumb.jpeg.1c606224ce4f9d59b5684c80bcbdc0fa.jpeg

Entree - Roasted Prime Ribs of Beef

ECF88F42-6796-4D6F-8585-731A88104D64.thumb.jpeg.b6931e4df03b6ed1a9859c96439ccc7e.jpeg

This is their carving cart. They carve your prime rib right at table side to your preferred cut and doneness

CEAE6B46-EAB9-4A89-8691-261F8DA054C2.thumb.jpeg.68f0c0708146611f905b957b3626fb61.jpeg

D885C61E-37ED-420F-A19A-3F0D6F7BA568.thumb.jpeg.770aa3fd74b864e369664e880e8342cf.jpeg

Birthday Cake for the birthday girl brought to you by King’s Hawaiian Bakery

228250D5-5AC9-4EB0-BCAA-9E07CB5F3E38.thumb.jpeg.65d1e4cc72c96b96d2bdbe89e056701f.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

We had my MIL’s 90th Birthday Dinner at Lawry’s Prime Rib on Saturday night. Everything was delicious. 

Congratulations and Happy Birthday 💐

Everything indeed looks delicious. Glad you had a smashing party. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Huh...maybe it only came in a limited number of color combinations. It was a nice combination. 

Cool stories (well, except, of course for the accident!)  All those cars met the true definition of "full sized"! I always get a kick out of, when traveling in Europe, most people have these little, short cars. I'd NEVER find a place to park or be able to navigate those narrow, winding streets over there with my 207" long Buick! That's pretty long by today's standards, at least for most cars I suspect. 

I'll be interested to see this Sony / Honda Afeela (EV) when it comes out. Very futuristic looking. 

I never knew anyone who drove a Eurosport beside me and although I vividly recall the dealer I do not recall if other cars had the same interior.

20 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I was so fascinated by the Aston Martin that I had to take another look at it today.   For anyone interested, it's a 2022 Valkyrie Aston Martin Racing Pro.  It's all carbon fiber (no steel at all) and has a 1000 hp V12 engine.  No idea what the price tag is but if you have to ask...  More info here.

IMG_0304.thumb.JPG.f644fea058f0341f2e972851bd7ace41.JPG

At least you'll save some money by only having to buy 1 replacement wiper blade. 😅

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

That was part of a $46K optional package.  😜

APC_3948.thumb.JPG.5ac79cb23f122e5926f93d3aceff5d2a.JPG

The sticker lists "Exterior Hood in Tweed" for $2,405.00.  Looks like a regular hood to me. 🤔

4 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

The sticker lists "Exterior Hood in Tweed" for $2,405.00.  Looks like a regular hood to me. 🤔

I suspect they are talking about the convertible top , since the Brits call their hood the bonnet. and the trunk the boot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

OK...I can't help myself.  A few more pictures from the car show.

Keep them coming. Love seeing these pics.

There is a Concours d'Elegance by Hagerty show in Greenwich, CT - about an hour from me - in early June. I might need to check it out.  Not sure if it is as extensive as the Amelia show but the line up sounds impressive as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Miss when each GM brand had their own quirks

Didn't that also used to have their own engines?  I remember when GM started to standardize parts among brands and people would complain that their Oldsmobile came with a Buick engine or their Pontiac came with an Olds engine.

5 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I suspect they are talking about the convertible top , since the Brits call their hood the bonnet. and the trunk the boot.

Yes! You're right!  Thank you.