Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 minutes ago, brillohead said:

My ex is planning on selling his Roush Mustang (or what I call his "midlife-crisis-mobile") this year, if you're interested?  

Thank you for the offer but that's probably too much car for me. 😀

My "midlife-crisis-mobile" is a Saab convertible, which I still have but somehow my step daughter took it over when she moved back home last year. 😊

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

I have an older car, that is not a classic, but I enjoy it for the looks, 2 door. (2006 GTO) Red with black interior.

Of course when I take it to cruise ins a lot of times I get, "Why don't you bring a real classic car next time."

Doesn't a car need to be 20 years old before being considered a classic?

So you only have to wait 3 more years

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

2006 GTO

LOL...my brother, who's way more into cars than I could ever be...had one of those, sold it, than bought another one just last year! Burnt orange...same color as the one he sold! Why not have just hung on to the first one?!?

29 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I had a favorite FM radio station. 100.7 WMMS Home of the Buzzard out of Cleveland Ohio.  The best rock station.  They sponsored the famous World Series of Rock that were held at the Cleveland Municipal Stadium and is said they had a big influence in bringing the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to Cleveland.  They were known to help break new rock artists nationally.  After introducing David Bowie he had considerably high record sales in Cleveland.  WMMS sponsored back to  back Bowie concerts that sold out. 

My favorite station was 104.3 at the time I was driving the Eurosport.It still is a favorite along with a Long Island Classic Rock station.

I was only at the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame once ,in 2014.I was on a Senior tour of Ohio and the time we were given at the HOF was 4 hours.

I was never a huge fan of David Bowie.

8 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Doesn't a car need to be 20 years old before being considered a classic?

Seems to depend on the website and/or location. Here is for PA:  https://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV Fact Sheets/fs-ant.pdf  

Some sites say 20 years for classic. Often thought about getting plates for my Riviera but I don't like the limitations on when they're supposed to be driven. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Sorry I haven’t responded to many posts, I’ve been in extreme pre cruise mode making sure everything is ready and taking care of some of Linda’s needs as she is trying to finish up a legal brief before we leave. Love hearing the car stories. My first car I had to drive was my parents Lincoln Marquee Station Wagon.

A1CB5896-6F62-4A3B-BBED-C3FD0E9BA308.thumb.jpeg.0f5c28ea8440b8b9f19682532277e29b.jpeg

Then for my graduation present my parents got me  1975 Ford Econoline Van 

2BCC89A4-6D0B-4F09-AA02-BDC7122DA29F.thumb.jpeg.10ce0d12bb44644a1244ba888a7de7e8.jpeg

I paid to have the interior customized With shag carpeting on the floor and sides, wood panel ceiling with airplane lights and a bed in back as you never know when you might get tired of driving and need a nap.😉 It was great for hauling my drums to gigs and drive in movies with dates.

best car was sad letting me drive his 911T Porsche. I did not get to drive it all the time but when I did it was a lot of fun.

38A753DF-07EA-49AE-8AE6-D487B3257D79.jpeg.85921e71d36881e791b5a2913d087172.jpeg

• Like 10

55 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My favorite station was 104.3 at the time I was driving the Eurosport.It still is a favorite along with a Long Island Classic Rock station.

I was only at the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame once ,in 2014.I was on a Senior tour of Ohio and the time we were given at the HOF was 4 hours.

I was never a huge fan of David Bowie.

Did you enjoy the R&r HOF?  As often as I have been in the area I have never gone.  I have never been to the Football HOF either. 

4 hours ago, Keksie said:

My cars over the years and please note I am not a car person so I don't know the specifics of the cars.

Camero - first car (wish I still had it, probably from the 60s)

VW Beetle - green, brand new 1973

Opel

Misc. ugly cars

Mustang - Black no air had to get rid of when moving to Texas

Mustang - Blue with air

PT Cruiser - purple

HHR - green

Chrysler 200 - gold (favorite car ever)

Chrysler 300 - purple (will keep forever because I love sedans and they don't make them anymore and I don't ever want an EV)

All these cars are ones I love but when you mention Opel it hits a bit more. My mom had a 1970s Opel GT in yellow. I found this on Google but this was basically it. As young kids we went all over the place in this car. The back had a wood bench seat and if I remember no seat belts. Times were different back then.

6F51A221-4D91-4486-8D8B-39B1CE8436C7.thumb.jpeg.1479f23a6afc849662a51070dd327822.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 9

On 3/5/2023 at 11:50 AM, brillohead said:

You might want to pack a lunch, too... it's a long one!  LOL

I was enthralled and read every word. 
My husband’s niece was “sent away” at 16 to have a baby and immediately give it up. They managed to hide the whole thing from the rest of the family because they lived three hours away. 
The boy’s family pushed for marriage and said they would help support them, but A didn’t want her adult life to start like that, and thought if she never saw the baby she could turn the page and start a new chapter easily. 
She went back to school and graduated with her class. 
Married at 21, divorced at 23, married again at 24, and divorced again at 25. 
She had a child by each husband, but was never happy. She married and divorced one more time. 
After the third marriage, she started therapy. Her therapist advised her to try to find the child she gave up. It was a closed adoption, so she couldn’t find anything. 
20 years after she gave the baby up, she turned to Ocean Voyage. And so did the baby!

After many phone calls and emails, he came to Florida to meet her. Next visit was to meet his two half siblings and then his grandparents and aunts and uncles. 
Finally the rest of us were told the story. 
We met him and his parents at a 21st birthday party our niece threw for him. 
They flew to Central Florida from Arizona. 
He looks exactly like his half sister in coloring and his smile. 
He has great parents who gave him and his later adopted sister a wonderful childhood. 
When our niece died much too young from a brain tumor, his whole family flew again from Arizona for the funeral. 
A was so happy in her last years to have not only found him, but to have found a bonus family in his parents. 
It’s never too late to gain a family, and to feel the connection with people who were strangers. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

My first car I had to drive was my parents Lincoln Marquee Station Wagon.

A1CB5896-6F62-4A3B-BBED-C3FD0E9BA308.thumb.jpeg.0f5c28ea8440b8b9f19682532277e29b.jpeg

Do you remember what year car?  Based on the shape, it could be the sister-car to my very first car I ever owned, a hand me down from my father. A 1969 Ford Galaxie 500 station wagon. Car had 175,000 miles on it when he gave it to me in 1980 & I put another 21,000 on it before I could save up enough money to buy my own car. Looking back, I wished I kept it until it had an even 200K miles just for bragging rights.

I found this picture on the internet, looks exactly like the car I had, color and everything. Except  mine did not have a roof rack, must've been an option back in the day and my dad didn't bother with options. So, no A/C, AM-only radio with one speaker in the middle of the dash, black vinyl bench seats (so much fun on a hot sunny day), etc.  The only options it did have was the bigger V8 engine - a 390 ci - and Posi-Traction (another Marisa Tomei reference)  which I think Ford called Traction-Lok.  The car had a surprising amount of power for station wagon, could outrun a few Mustangs and Camaro's.

FordSW.thumb.jpeg.fa358b64986c15d2cda88d7da1464d42.jpeg

One of my favorite quirks of the car was the carburetor valve would get stuck closed in the winter time so it wouldn't start. Had to open the hood, screw open the air filter cover, unstick the valve & hold it open with a screw driver. Then after starting the car, remove screw driver, screw cover back on and  close hood. Lot of fun on a windy, 20 degree winter day.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Did you enjoy the R&r HOF?  As often as I have been in the area I have never gone.  I have never been to the Football HOF either. 

I liked the HOF a lot. On the day I was there they had a Beatles exhibit .

I was never in the Football HOF. I have been to the Baseball HOF ,the Basketball HOF and the Canadian Baseball HOF.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 6:40 PM, bobmacliberty said:

After a bit of rain yesterday, we had perfect weather for the Amelia Concours today.  It seemed like there were slightly fewer cars compared to last year, but more people.  

APC_3932.thumb.JPG.fc9cb81132c087a0a2670a108805cc36.JPG

I won't bore you with a lot of pictures but if I could have any car at the show, I think I'd go with a Bentley convertible.  The golfer stitched into the headrests was probably the deciding factor. That was part of a $46K optional package.  😜

APC_3948.thumb.JPG.5ac79cb23f122e5926f93d3aceff5d2a.JPG

APC_3950.thumb.JPG.c9ce041389eec2e32a58bd9c21bc9cb1.JPG

APC_3949.thumb.JPG.3d8568adccd0d8f784e91458f55a656c.JPG

My close second choice was a 1998 McLaren F1.  Just an absolutely beautiful car.

APC_3969.thumb.JPG.b9d921e7af0e282c6ff6633db5bcf725.JPG

A new model McLaren also caught my eye, but I think the wind would blow away what little hair I have left.

APC_3971.thumb.JPG.ab6820e8c2151ff59b5cacbb6615ef25.JPG

Micheline on the other hand decided that she would want to be driven in style in the back of a 1931 Rolls Royce "Springfield" Phantom I Riviera Town Car.  APC_3942.thumb.JPG.e224d694133c4056f15969111da1df75.JPG

One of my granddaughters made good money for several years modeling cars at the Concours. 
She would be dressed in clothes to match a car’s birth date and stand next to it for a few hours. 
Nice money, and she didn’t have to know anything about the cars. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

All these cars are ones I love but when you mention Opel it hits a bit more. My mom had a 1970s Opel GT in yellow. I found this on Google but this was basically it. As young kids we went all over the place in this car. The back had a wood bench seat and if I remember no seat belts. Times were different back then.

6F51A221-4D91-4486-8D8B-39B1CE8436C7.thumb.jpeg.1479f23a6afc849662a51070dd327822.jpeg

A High School friend of mine had one, and after one particularly scary ride, where I thought he was going to kill us, I never got in it again.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Mine was orange.  1970 ish version.  It was a really fun car.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

A High School friend of mine had one, and after one particularly scary ride, where I thought he was going to kill us, I never got in it again.  

Mom may have done that to me, but in nursery school one doesn’t notice that as much. 

5 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Mine was orange.  1970 ish version.  It was a really fun car.

I loved the roll over headlights. 

• Like 1

My first new car was a 1984 fiero some people were shocked I could fit into that car since I am 6’4” and about 240 lbs but it had lots of leg room ,not very practical with almost no trunk but fun to drive,  Pontiac only made them from 1984 to 1988.

• Like 1

My first car was a 1973 Plymouth Satellite.  It started as my father's business car, which he bought after 3 years to use as the kid's car (so they wouldn't have to drive us everywhere).  It was a great high school car for both me and my 2 year younger brother.  I put JBL 6X9 speakers into wooden boxes that I mounted on the rear dash, connected to some sort of under dash stereo/8 track player (can't remember the brand).  I thought it was the best sounding car in the world with the volume cranked!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

A was so happy in her last years to have not only found him, but to have found a bonus family in his parents. 
It’s never too late to gain a family, and to feel the connection with people who were strangers.

A friend of mine made a comment about how she noticed a change in me after I found my birthmother back in the 90s.  Even thought I didn't develop much of a relationship with J, just KNOWING settles something in your soul.  

The way they used to do adoptions was just barbaric, for both the child and the birthmother.  These days, adoptions tend to be at least somewhat open, and the birthmother is allowed to hold the child after the birth and say goodbye.  The idea that a normal woman could just "forget about" a baby that they carried and birthed is just so stupid.  

I'm so glad that your niece was able to make that connection before her death.  

• Like 9

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

One of my favorite quirks of the car was the carburetor valve would get stuck closed in the winter time so it wouldn't start. Had to open the hood, screw open the air filter cover, unstick the valve & hold it open with a screw driver. Then after starting the car, remove screw driver, screw cover back on and  close hood. Lot of fun on a windy, 20 degree winter day.

My old Chevette did the same thing.  I had a special wooden dowel that I kept under the seat of my car specifically for this purpose.  I got pretty darn quick at the whole procedure!

• Like 2

It never ends.

Two weeks ago I posted that my good friend Mike fell in his house,went by ambulance to an ER and died in the hospital.

We just got a call that his wife fell in the house yesterday ,went by ambulance to the same ER and is still in the hospital being treated for her injuries.

• Like 8