Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

36 minutes ago, dpostman said:

Hi OB.  This is right up my alley, so I can offer some explanations.  The batteries in phones degrade the most when in the extreme states of charge.  That is 100% and 0%. Usually, most people charge their phones by plugging them in before going to bed, so the phone charges up to 100% and spends most of the night sitting at 100% and this has a long term effect on overall longevity.  The number of charge cycles do somewhat count but going from 30% to 80% only counts as a half cycle. The same as going from 50% to 100%

Charging super-fast also has a detrimental effect on battery health.  Wireless charging also creates lots of heat.

It is fine to charge to 100% once in a while if you are going to be needing it, or quickly if it is convenient, but on a regular basis, slow charging by plugging in, and keeping the phone in between 20% and 80% state of charge as much as possible, will improve the over all life span of the phone battery and after 3 years, will still most likely keep a charge almost as when it was new.

I have my phone set to limit charge to 80% and have fast charging disable by default.  But I did create manual routines that I save as widgets on my home screen so that I don't have to go searching in the settings every time i wish to enable them.  These widgets will bypass those default settings temporarily.

image.png.1c8db36119f028971758cc611b56ffd8.png

I hope this helps, but I can elaborate more in depth on any of the above points if you want more info.

dp

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

For iPhone users, the iOS software learns your overnight charging routine. The phone will charge up to 80% and hold there until about an hour before it has learned that you wake up, at that time it will top it off to 100%.  This was designed so that it would reduce the time it is plugged in at 100%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Just you tubed Matt of RC Blog on Icon OTS.  He walked through maybe less than 50% of the ship.   Elevators are different than anything I have experienced.  You don't press an up or down button but press a button of the floor you want to go to.  It then lights up the elevator number that will take you to your "destination".  When you enter the elevator you press nothing since it's already programmed to what floor you want to get to.

I was disappointed with Central Park.  Oasis has more greenery and the balconies on Icon all seem to be Infinite balconies with what I think are gaudy colored beachy colored shutters on every single "window".  Orange, yellow, lime green, dark green.  Just doesn't fit into my idea of a relaxing Central Park vibe.

Two story Royal Promenade 

Absolutely amazing lounge areas all through the ship.

For those sailing on Icon, one week won't be enough.

RCI builds the most innovative ships for sure, but Jack and I will pass on this one.  We prefer smaller ships without the bells and whistles.  Families will love it.  Kids will be busy all day long.

Pictures of the cabins are coming up on Matt's blog.

I agree the ship looks pretty wow.  But like you we will wait a while until it’s not so new to experience it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Just you tubed Matt of RC Blog on Icon OTS.  He walked through maybe less than 50% of the ship.   Elevators are different than anything I have experienced.  You don't press an up or down button but press a button of the floor you want to go to.  It then lights up the elevator number that will take you to your "destination".  When you enter the elevator you press nothing since it's already programmed to what floor you want to get to.

How does this work if two people arrive at the elevator on Deck 7 and one pushes 10 and one pushes 5?  There must be a down or up button on the elevator to tell which person should get on…and then the other person trusts the elevator will come back for them?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

How does this work if two people arrive at the elevator on Deck 7 and one pushes 10 and one pushes 5?  There must be a down or up button on the elevator to tell which person should get on…and then the other person trusts the elevator will come back for them?

pretty sure they will be told to go to 2 different elevators. One will go to 10 and the other 5. 

But if you're on 7 and want to go down 2 flights to 5, take the stairs 😉 

What will be interesting to see is how it handles a mass of people wanting to go to basically all the floors, especially if there's a mass of people on multiple floors (like 4, 5, & 6 post-show). If you're on 4, and people want to go to 9, 10, & 11, would they all be directed to the same elevator and that will stop on 9 then 10, then 11? or if people on 4, 5 want to go to 9 & 10, will it start on 4, then stop at 5, then go to 9? or is it always a direct A to B thing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

That sounds like new elevators that were put in at a hotel I use to stay at.   They had no buttons inside the elevator.  You pressed your floor outside the elevator.  

I found out, after I dashed into an open elevator after check in, only to find you could not choose your floor from inside.  Ended up going for a ride, then got off and chose my floor.

Wonder how that would affect my “go up to go down” with suitcases on disembark day?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

Everyone presses the floor they want to go.  No down or up buttons.  Each deck pressed will list the elevator that will take you to the floor you pressed.  Could be the same elevator, could be  different ones.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

That sounds like new elevators that were put in at a hotel I use to stay at.   They had no buttons inside the elevator.  You pressed your floor outside the elevator.  

I found out, after I dashed into an open elevator after check in, only to find you could not choose your floor from inside.  Ended up going for a ride, then got off and chose my floor.

Wonder how that would affect my “go up to go down” with suitcases on disembark day?

Sounds like the Icon elevators.  Not sure about disembark day.  Maybe you press the deck you want to disembark from.

6 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Sounds like the Icon elevators.  Not sure about disembark day.  Maybe you press the deck you want to disembark from.

It would have to figure out how much space is occupied, to know if there was room for you and your bags.

If we are on deck 8, doing a walk off with luggage, the elevator is always filled with people from decks above 8 by the time it gets there, if you press the down button now.  We typically press the up button and get on, then press the down.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RobInMN said:

pretty sure they will be told to go to 2 different elevators. One will go to 10 and the other 5. 

But if you're on 7 and want to go down 2 flights to 5, take the stairs 😉 

Not everyone has the capability to take the stairs.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@h20skibum

Mark,

Do you recall if there are any Boardwalk balconies on the Symphony? Just wondering. I do not see them on deck plans. I see only ocean view balconies on deck 6 in the boardwalk region.

Since you were recently on that ship, I thought you would know best. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

It would have to figure out how much space is occupied, to know if there was room for you and your bags.

If we are on deck 8, doing a walk off with luggage, the elevator is always filled with people from decks above 8 by the time it gets there, if you press the down button now.  We typically press the up button and get on, then press the down.

Go the scenic route. 😁

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

@h20skibum

Mark,

Do you recall if there are any Boardwalk balconies on the Symphony? Just wondering. I do not see them on deck plans. I see only ocean view balconies on deck 6 in the boardwalk region.

Since you were recently on that ship, I thought you would know best. Thanks.

Boardwalk is on deck 6, so that is where restaurants are.   Boardwalk view balconies do not start until deck 8 and above. 

IMG_9795.thumb.jpeg.22666a2804991679b9456ef53a3a9d06.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Boardwalk is on deck 6, so that is where restaurants are.   Boardwalk view balconies do not start until deck 8 and above. 

IMG_9795.thumb.jpeg.22666a2804991679b9456ef53a3a9d06.jpeg

Thank you yessss of course! What was I thinking!!!!!

Dang, I think I had too much cough medicine!😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, h20skibum said:

You got me thinking about what we will do when we are on then I just remembered we are usually on deck 8 but will be on deck 12 this time so probably no need to go up like we usually do.  If we were on deck 8 I would first select deck 14, have one of us get off, while another holds the door open, and select the deck we will disembark.  I would guess it would turn around. .... maybe 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Just waiting from my mom to get moved to a room post surgery recovery.  Her second hip is done and the surgeon said it went well. 

Glad to hear that surgery went well.   Wishing her the best in her recovery. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, h20skibum said:

Glad to hear that surgery went well.   Wishing her the best in her recovery. 

Discharge is either tomorrow or Sunday. It’s a wait and see. Meanwhile I’m in a hotel as there is heavy snow  with high winds forecast for tonight. I’m certainly not driving home with no visibility.  

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Discharge is either tomorrow or Sunday. It’s a wait and see. Meanwhile I’m in a hotel as there is heavy snow  with high winds forecast for tonight. I’m certainly not driving home with no visibility.  

Winter sucks.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thank you very much!

I think what I might try for awhile is doing an 85% charge when I am working the next day since I can always plug in at the office if I need to. Then I might go to 100% when I'm not working the next day as a daytime charge would be more inconvenient. I rarely need fast charging.