CRUISE REFUND RECEIVED

Twogreynomads

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Asking is fine, it’s the tone I objected to. The discount is not to do with the number of cruises we have been on. A number of years ago I posted about the discount and where it originated from and I got into a lot of bother over it as I apparently flouted forum rules. Even if I could share it, I don’t think that it’s open to new users anymore (I cant find reference to it online now) but for reasons that I don’t fully understand (and have not questioned) the relevant ‘code’ still sits on my account and applies to my bookings. Sorry to be a bit mysterious, but hope having explained you can understand why. 

Thank you.

31 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Just got of the phone with my travel agent and my fears of having different expired dates on my credit card does effect my refund , I had to give them a different account to pay the refund into , all my next 6 cruises are booked with them but just one booked with p& o which was on 12 April I booked direct and they did say I would have to contact P & O to give them the new details for a refund , same card number, same company, but different expired dates I will not get my refund , seems silly  I know but just to let some know , spent 45 mins on phone trying to get through to P & O no answer , spent 10 mins wait on my travel agent and got through , he told me the best time to phone which I think everyone knows is first thing in morning or very late afternoon  , has they have been on hold for 4 hrs to P & O 

Hmmm. I think I’m going to hit the same problem as you. My final balance was paid with my new card, so should be OK, but the deposit was with the old (expired) card. I’ve had that issue with two other companies in the last week alone. One holiday cottage was paid in 3 instalments and they refunded the last 2 payments but needed my new card expiry date for the first one. Also, a theatre company tried to refund me but couldn’t as I’d had a new card, so sent me an online form to put the new details on. Infuriating when the only thing that’s changed is the expiry date. As if this whole episode isn’t frustrating enough! 

24 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

In my experience, it is about the relationship you have with the other side.

Building on that relationship over time and with respect and trust sometimes brings rewards.

It is what you are personally happy with

If you are referring to P&O I have a relationship of cruising sometimes 2-3 times a year since 2000 with them and when phoning regarding price and availability of future bookings have always treated the people I speak to with utmost respect and they are well aware of my relationship and loyalty towards P&O. Even when politely asking if that is best price they have always given me the same answer and said yes and advised me if I have got a better price with a TA have recommended that I book with them and not direct with P&O.

Edited by majortom10

15 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

If you are referring to P&O I have a relationship of cruising sometimes 2-3 times a year since 2000 with them and when phoning regarding price and availability of future bookings have always treated the people I speak to with utmost respect and they are well aware of my relationship and loyalty towards P&O. Even when politely asking if that is best price they have always given me the same answer and said yes and advised me if I have got a better price with a TA have recommended that I book with them and not direct with P&O.

As I said it is what you are happy with.

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Re previous post, did you manage to ask why they are not prepared to tell customers what date they are up to?

It appears it’s a lack of joined up thinking. People who do comms don’t interact with those who do refunds etc etc.

51 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

It appears it’s a lack of joined up thinking. People who do comms don’t interact with those who do refunds etc etc.

Thanks for asking. You would think that would be a basic but clearly not.

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Hmmm. I think I’m going to hit the same problem as you. My final balance was paid with my new card, so should be OK, but the deposit was with the old (expired) card. I’ve had that issue with two other companies in the last week alone. One holiday cottage was paid in 3 instalments and they refunded the last 2 payments but needed my new card expiry date for the first one. Also, a theatre company tried to refund me but couldn’t as I’d had a new card, so sent me an online form to put the new details on. Infuriating when the only thing that’s changed is the expiry date. As if this whole episode isn’t frustrating enough! 

Just got through to P&O on 0800 0523840 and only took 20 min on hold and they told me it was ok about my different expired date it will go straight back on account card in 60 days still , and she spoke to finance team about my problem about expired date first before telling me , so all good selbourne 

1 minute ago, Purdey16 said:

Just got through to P&O on 0800 0523840 and only took 20 min on hold and they told me it was ok about my different expired date it will go straight back on account card in 60 days still , and she spoke to finance team about my problem about expired date first before telling me , so all good selbourne 

That’s great. Many thanks. Funny how some companies can manage it and others can’t. 

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

It doesn't seem unreasonable to ask why one person gets a discount and the rest of us don't.

Selbourne,  would you kindly give us an idea why you get such a refund. We don't need details, but an indication would be nice. 

Thanks.

Is it anything to do with the 5% peninsular discount that we all get?

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Is it anything to do with the 5% peninsular discount that we all get?

No Jean 😂. It’s additional OBC that equates to roughly 5% discount. I get all the usual loyalty discounts as everyone does. 

1 hour ago, Purdey16 said:

That implies your refund is being repaid onto a bank/credit card. Others are saying payments are being made by cheque.  Confused.

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Asking is fine, it’s the tone I objected to. The discount is not to do with the number of cruises we have been on. A number of years ago I posted about the discount and where it originated from and I got into a lot of bother over it as I apparently flouted forum rules. Even if I could share it, I don’t think that it’s open to new users anymore (I cant find reference to it online now) but for reasons that I don’t fully understand (and have not questioned) the relevant ‘code’ still sits on my account and applies to my bookings. Sorry to be a bit mysterious, but hope having explained you can understand why. 

Good for you.

I had a TC manager contact who I would only book my cruises with and as their best customer we were asked to open their revamped shop and I always got a special discount from her.

I told her what cabin on which date and cruiseship I wanted and she booked it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

You would think if they could give a TA 10% discount,a customer booking direct they are saving the TAs discount and could offer you something extra.

34 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

That implies your refund is being repaid onto a bank/credit card. Others are saying payments are being made by cheque.  Confused.

I might be wrong here (so am happy to be corrected), but I think if I have understood the numerous posts correctly then if you booked direct with P&O then, as you made the payment direct to them, they refund via the original payment card. If you booked via a TA, who in turn pays P&O at a later date, then the refund comes via cheque. There’s also an added complication of TA commission but I got lost at that point and as it doesn’t affect me I haven’t tried to unravel it!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good for you.

I had a TC manager contact who I would only book my cruises with and as their best customer we were asked to open their revamped shop and I always got a special discount from her.

I told her what cabin on which date and cruiseship I wanted and she booked it.

Thanks Graham, although I’m now wishing that I hadn’t mentioned it! I was just trying to make the point that there are pros and cons of booking via a TA, as well as direct with P&O, and not all of us who choose the latter pay any more for the privilege. You illustrate an excellent point that regardless of whether you use a TA or P&O, if you have a great relationship with someone then they go out of their way to help you. I have a fantastic relationship with my contact at P&O. They know about my family, I know about theirs and as soon as I call they know immediately who I am, even though we might not speak for 6 months at a time. When I made my last booking they proactively reminded me of the code that sits against my name for my extra OBC, as I had forgotten to. That’s great service. Sadly, this code is no longer available to new people or I would run the risk of another slap on the wrist by mentioning it, but those who use TA’s get the same discount via a price reduction, so I think we are all happy. Sadly, I won’t be booking anything until a vaccine is available so it’s all a bit cosmetic anyway!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I might be wrong here (so am happy to be corrected), but I think if I have understood the numerous posts correctly then if you booked direct with P&O then, as you made the payment direct to them, they refund via the original payment card. If you booked via a TA, who in turn pays P&O at a later date, then the refund comes via cheque. There’s also an added complication of TA commission but I got lost at that point and as it doesn’t affect me I haven’t tried to unravel it!

P&O customer relations rep emailed us a week ago telling us how much they were sending us by cheque and if we paid the TA more to get that off them.

That was a week ago at 39 days so if it was agreed why do we have to wait another 21 days to get it back?

As the TA had given us a £100 discount when booking the difference is £262.

Back on topic we are at day 42 having cancelled our May 15th cruise on the 17th of March once the advice was for those with underlying medical conditions not to cruise, obviously a link there to being able to get insurance on another thread.

Everyone's situation is personnel to them.

We are lucky in one way as we are both early retired and have our works pensions and my state pension so waiting for our 50% refund  and 50% FCC is not urgent.

Our next booking is not until Christmas with the balance due (via TA) on 31st August. We can but follow developments as to whether to make the final payment.

But like most there are problems for us - we have three cruises booked in 2021 and one in early 2022 and can't use the FCC against any of these (true, we could try to update our cabin).

Also on the downside, much of our cruise costs were paid for by dividend income from investments, many of which are drying up.

Who knows how this is going to pan out in the medium term and we may have to cancel some of our future cruises if funds are not available.

In the overall scheme of things I treasure the fact that I and my wife are 'reasonably' healthy whilst thousands of families are suffering misery. If we lose a few cruises and deposits so be it.

I can wait a bit longer for my refund whatever the law says. These are unusual times to say the least! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks Graham, although I’m now wishing that I hadn’t mentioned it! I was just trying to make the point that there are pros and cons of booking via a TA, as well as direct with P&O, and not all of us who choose the latter pay any more for the privilege. You illustrate an excellent point that regardless of whether you use a TA or P&O, if you have a great relationship with someone then they go out of their way to help you. I have a fantastic relationship with my contact at P&O. They know about my family, I know about theirs and as soon as I call they know immediately who I am, even though we might not speak for 6 months at a time. When I made my last booking they proactively reminded me of the code that sits against my name for my extra OBC, as I had forgotten to. That’s great service. Sadly, this code is no longer available to new people or I would run the risk of another slap on the wrist by mentioning it, but those who use TA’s get the same discount via a price reduction, so I think we are all happy. Sadly, I won’t be booking anything until a vaccine is available so it’s all a bit cosmetic anyway!

Thanks.

I know what you mean as I have posted here and on RCL threads and sometimes wished I hadn't said anything.

Our next cruise is next February and we won't be booking any before this even though our March cruise was cancelled as was our June RCL cruise.

43 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

This is correct. This only applies to this particular set of refunds because so many travel agencies companies are closed/under staffed.

P&O have protected travel agents commission therefore TAs will not have to pay this across to P&O if the amount has already been paid in full. Passengers should get the actual amount paid for their cruise refunded.

So AIUI, taking a travel agent that likes to offer cashback... a £1,000 cruise is offered by the agent for £960 and paid in full by the customer. The contractual agreement between P&O and agent is still for £1,000. The agent pays £900 as their commission is 10% before they offer any incentive. Agent pockets £60. P&O will refund by cheque the £960 actually paid. The agent has already had their net commission of £60 because the agent never paid it to P&O in the first place.

4 minutes ago, NoFlyGuy said:

Back on topic we are at day 42 having cancelled our May 15th cruise on the 17th of March once the advice was for those with underlying medical conditions not to cruise, obviously a link there to being able to get insurance on another thread.

Everyone's situation is personnel to them.

We are lucky in one way as we are both early retired and have our works pensions and my state pension so waiting for our 50% refund  and 50% FCC is not urgent.

Our next booking is not until Christmas with the balance due (via TA) on 31st August. We can but follow developments as to whether to make the final payment.

But like most there are problems for us - we have three cruises booked in 2021 and one in early 2022 and can't use the FCC against any of these (true, we could try to update our cabin).

Also on the downside, much of our cruise costs were paid for by dividend income from investments, many of which are drying up.

Who knows how this is going to pan out in the medium term and we may have to cancel some of our future cruises if funds are not available.

In the overall scheme of things I treasure the fact that I and my wife are 'reasonably' healthy whilst thousands of families are suffering misery. If we lose a few cruises and deposits so be it.

I can wait a bit longer for my refund whatever the law says. These are unusual times to say the least! 

Everyone's circumstances are different.

The frustration for me is the law says 14 days,

I initially was told 28 days.

Then I was told 45 days.

Then I was told 60 days.

And the TA said 60-90 days.

When we ring P&O we get cut off several times then wait an hour to finally get through then keep getting told a different story.

The TA wait is 1-1.5 hours then they say they have heard nothing from P&O.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

You would think if they could give a TA 10% discount,a customer booking direct they are saving the TAs discount and could offer you something extra.

They are not giving a discount to the TA. It is commission for being an agent. The best way to look at it is to assume that the P&O contact centre is a discrete business. It has costs which need to be paid out of the 10% in the same way that an agent also has costs which come from its commission.

If there were no TAs then P&O would need to employ a lot more people to deal with bookings and customer queries. Even the online booking website has costs attached to it (although by how bad it is you'd be surprised someone paid for it!).