CRUISE REFUND RECEIVED

Twogreynomads

11 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I'm not ranting or raving.  I am having a discussion and it's very interesting.  As I don't think cruising will be viable for us until at least Autumn 2021, or there is an earlier vaccine, our future bookings are going to end up as FCCs as I will not be paying the balances.  If the Government is really going to force a 14 day quarantine if you leave the country that might make any foreign travel an absolute no-no.

We are probably with you Jean, we won't cruise until we feel safe probably not until there is a vaccine.  If the government does force the 14 day quarantine it will kill the tourism industry because younger, working people won't want to use 4 weeks holiday entitlement for 2 weeks actual holiday and we older people won't want to be quarantined putting our life on hold for 2 weeks.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We are probably with you Jean, we won't cruise until we feel safe probs my not until there is a vaccine.  If the government does force the 14 day quarantine it will kill the tourism industry because younger, working people won't want to use 4 weeks holiday entitlement for 2 weeks actual holiday and we older people won't want to be quarantined putting our life on hold for 2 weeks.

I would be hopeful that the future is a little brighter, but may be wrong.  The reason is that the current information suggests that around half of people are undertaking some form of working from home, with this also proving to be an alternative for those who have had to self-isolate, but have thankfully not become unwell.  Not useful if you are in the other half but...

So, if this is the case, then the quarantine period may well be spent working, meaning that the traditional two week holiday will be that, whenever we reach that point.  I also thought it was interesting (if also depressing) that some airports (and possibly in the future cruise lines) will be able to do testing upon exit, which could have an impact on needing to go in to quarantine; with the prospect of charging - 190 euros I saw being quoted. 

I dread to think how much the P&O medical centre would charge for the same - may be a way of using excess OBC! 

I struggle to see how the tourism industry will remain viable if there is no possibility of realistic travel until there is a vaccine, assuming that a vaccine will be found.  There will (probably) have to be some sort of middle ground.  Demand will be significantly down though, as people will be genuinely concerned that their travel is safe, whatever provisions are put in place around social distancing.  The memories around what happened on the cruise ships at the start of the crisis will be deep seated, in my opinion.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, emam said:

I got the same when I cancelled on the 23rd April,  but it now says:- 

Thank you. Please note that due to the unprecedented demand on our Customer Contact Centre and wider business, refunds may take up to 60 days to be processed. In the meantime, please do not call us but rest assured we will be working through this process as quickly as we can.

If anyone got one they should be able to find it in the history on their computer. Check the day you submitted your claim and they should both be together.

I did mine on my iPad don’t think I’ll find it on ‘history’ as mine clears after about a month!

We tend to go round in circles a bit, but I really cannot see cruising being regarded as a safe form of travel for a very long time... 

Don't be fooled, we are not dealing with idiots and they know full well that no company can sustain massive losses for too long. 

There are so many issues to overcome before they can sail again. 

I hope this has no bearing on why they are slow in refunding... 

Andy 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

We tend to go round in circles a bit, but I really cannot see cruising being regarded as a safe form of travel for a very long time... 

Don't be fooled, we are not dealing with idiots and they know full well that no company can sustain massive losses for too long. 

There are so many issues to overcome before they can sail again. 

I hope this has no bearing on why they are slow in refunding... 

Andy 

Summed up succinctly. My concern is your last sentence, there is no doubt in my mind the refunds are being delayed for as long as they can get away with.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

and yet we know of 3 on here and I've seen some more on FB, so they wouldn't just do a few and not others.

Some are getting refunds, that's great. 

What I don't understand is the very few in the grand scheme of things. 

You estimated it at 90,000 refunds due Jean and we know of a handful... 

I get the difficulties but it doesn't explain a lack of a clear message. 

Andy 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

So if you can't work from home, you can now go to work, does that mean the P&O Finance team can go back to the office?

Only if they can't work from home... 

Who knows Jean, that was as clear as mud... 

Andy 

My friend is having an issue with her TA over her refund and I wonder if anyone can help with some advice. 

She was due to go on Britainnia's TA at the end of March which P&O cancelled. She was notified of this by her TA and she told him then she wanted a refund. The communication between them has be sporadic. On one call he told her that P&O would only send her vouchers and she told him No, she wanted a refund. She phoned him Friday and again asked about the situation with P&O on the return of her money. He told her that he had been in touch with P&O and told them she wanted a refund and that P&O will be in touch with her and that THEY would pay the refund to her. Now I know that that is total hogwash but what would be the best thing for her to do?

By the way, it's not an independent travel company. I know we can't use names but I'll just say " chicken house "

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

My friend is having an issue with her TA over her refund and I wonder if anyone can help with some advice. 

She was due to go on Britainnia's TA at the end of March which P&O cancelled. She was notified off this by her TA and she told him then she wanted a refund. The communication between them has be sporadic. On one call he told her that P&O would only send her vouchers and she told him No, she wanted a refund. She phoned him Friday and again asked about the situation with P&O on the return of her money. He told her that he had been in touch with P&O and told them she wanted a refund and that P&O will be in touch with her and that THEY would pay the refund to her. Now I know that that is total hogwash but what would be the best thing for her to do?

By the way, it's not an independent travel company. I know we can't use names but I'll just say " chicken house "

Avril 

P&O will send the refund to her if the ta just forwarded the funds like ours did. 

Graham & Jean's didn't, hence the cheque scenario. 

She needs to contact P&O, ignore the message that says if you booked through a ta to contact them and make sure she is in the queue.. 

But refunds will come from P&O. 

Andy 

Edited by AndyMichelle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

She was due to go on Britainnia's TA at the end of March which P&O cancelled. She was notified off this by her TA and she told him then she wanted a refund. The communication between them has be sporadic. On one call he told her that P&O would only send her vouchers and she told him No, she wanted a refund. She phoned him Friday and again asked about the situation with P&O on the return of her money. He told her that he had been in touch with P&O and told them she wanted a refund and that P&O will be in touch with her and that THEY would pay the refund to her. Now I know that that is total hogwash but what would be the best thing for her to do?

Avril 

My understanding is the TA is right, P&O are refunding direct to the customer, even if, as I did, you booked through a TA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, No pager thank you said:

Hello, This is my first post on Cruise Critic.  I have been very interested in reading the information on this board and on the social media platforms, so thought it would be helpful to share my own frustrating experience.

We were originally due to go on Ventura on the 17th March, which was cancelled by P&O via email on 15th March.  After four hours on the phone, and three attempts we did manage to get through and receive the cancellation invoice, meaning that our then 7-14 day waiting period started, on that particular day, as it was internally "actioned".  We did receive money for on board excursions and dining about a week later, but since then absolutely nothing.  Having been cut off repeatedly by P&O and never called back, we did put an email in to Guest Relations, receiving the 45 (actual, not working) days as an "up to," in reply.

As appears to be the case for many people on the board, we have been loyal customers of P&O for a number of years and have the fortune/misfortune, however one sees it, of having six cruises booked, excluding this one cancelled in March, and a further one cancelled on Aurora in June.  With this rendering the future cruise credit route implausible, we had looked at whether or not financially it would make sense to cancel any of the six cruises and re-book them with the alleged 25% "bonus."  Suffice to say, even allowing for the "bonus" the touted "fluid pricing model" would have left us at least £300 out of pocket and in one case, some £1200.  P&O also helpfully declined the possibility of using the FCC towards an existing booking, as appears to have been the experience of a couple of posters on here, and the opportunity to book a cruise in April 2022 - from the current brochure, because it fell a few days outside of their timeline.

We did recently get through to P&O, the lady we spoke to was helpful - I can help as follows:

-- Day 60 will not become "refund" day - they are apparently working through March and April, but there is no new number.

-- It was acknowledged that we had waited too long - no attempt to create "working" days as an attempt to justify our wait.

-- We did advise that a claim had been made against the credit card - this got noted for the file.  This could be one route for people to follow to get their money back.

I do agree with the general consensus that P&O will come out badly from this - I will not be a doormat.  The reference to people being grateful for having access to their money was particularly poorly put I felt.  It appears that P&O have put to one side their ethos of valuing their customers, whether this is the new or more established ones.  We have previously recommended them and sang their praises - couldn't do the same now.  Hope all are well.

Welcome to cruise critic.

We are all being frustrated by very friendly P&O staff who cannot give us an answer about when we will get our refunds.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I'm not ranting or raving.  I am having a discussion and it's very interesting.  As I don't think cruising will be viable for us until at least Autumn 2021, or there is an earlier vaccine, our future bookings are going to end up as FCCs as I will not be paying the balances.  If the Government is really going to force a 14 day quarantine if you leave the country that might make any foreign travel an absolute no-no.

I agree.

I am literally posting exactly what responses I have had from P&O and a TA.

It is frustrating  because they are working from home and they have a perfect excuse to fob us off with excuses like having to email finance and wait for an answer which is hard to argue with.

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

Thanks for your replies. I mistakenly thought that if the money was paid to the TA that's who they would return it to.

Avril 

Keep up Avril... 

I can't believe anyone is struggling to understand P&O's clear guidance😂😂😂

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2