Symptoms after Royal Princess Feb 29-Mar 7 cruise

Hellobello0

Hello! I am a long time lurker that’s just made a profile because I am searching for info. First off, I want to give a disclaimer that I am not blaming princess for any illnesses whatsoever. People get sick. That’s a part of life. 

We went on the cruise sailing from San Pedro 2/29-3/7 right before they stopped all cruises. There were people coughing EVERYWHERE. It is flu season so it honestly could have been the flu. 

I got sick starting with night sweats on the cruise. I thought I had been drinking too much so didn’t think much of it. On sat night after getting home, my throat started hurting. Sunday I was exhausted, had a fever of 100.8 (finally checked it, I could have had a fever on the cruise but I was so busy with my 3 kids that I just took 1-2 Advil and kept moving). My symptoms progressed to a bad headache, body aches, sinus pressure, congestion, complete loss of smell, mild loss of taste, slight cough, neck pain, sharp stabbing kidney pain, and exhaustion. I called my Kaiser Dr thinking I had a sinus infection, but it was so dry so my dr just prescribed the z pack but said not to take it unless I had green boogers, which never happened. Eventually I started feeling better, but my exhaustion took almost a month to go away. Also, since I got sick my temperature has stayed elevated to 99.3-99.8 ish. It’s strange.

I got worried thinking there was NO way I was still run down from my “flu/cold” and worried I needed to be checked out by the dr for something seriously wrong with me, but I finally feel better now. Also, My mom, dad, brother, husband, aunt, cousins, all came down with varying symptoms too. 

I emailed Princess asking them if others reported any flu symptoms after getting off the boat and telling them about my symptoms but that I couldn’t get tested because my Dr said I didn’t travel to China or Italy. They still haven’t emailed back. 

I was just wondering if anyone else came down with anything or if they know more that hasn’t been brought out. I def could have had the flu, but my daughter had the Flu B in early February and I got nothing... so I was very surprised that We all got sick on this cruise. I know there are a ton of different strains of the flu so who knows. 

I read a tweet on Twitter a few weeks ago that I unfortunately didn’t screenshot and I so wish I did so I could find it again... it said that someone came home from a Royal Princess Cruise and had super mild symptoms and they spread it to others who tested + for Covid but I mean do they really know?! It’s been community spread for a while. My group of friends ended up all getting sick (4 girls)... 3 had super mild symptoms and 1 was almost bad enough to go to the hospital but they wouldn’t test her unless she was admitted. It was insane. She’s okay now and getting antibody tested next week, so I might have more answers. I also will be getting antibody tested. 

thank you for reading and I truly hope we just had the flu and didn’t potentially pass it to lots of other vulnerable people! 

B

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hellobello0 said:

Hello! I am a long time lurker that’s just made a profile because I am searching for info. First off, I want to give a disclaimer that I am not blaming princess for any illnesses whatsoever. People get sick. That’s a part of life. 

We went on the cruise sailing from San Pedro 2/29-3/7 right before they stopped all cruises. There were people coughing EVERYWHERE. It is flu season so it honestly could have been the flu. 

I got sick starting with night sweats on the cruise. I thought I had been drinking too much so didn’t think much of it. On sat night after getting home, my throat started hurting. Sunday I was exhausted, had a fever of 100.8 (finally checked it, I could have had a fever on the cruise but I was so busy with my 3 kids that I just took 1-2 Advil and kept moving). My symptoms progressed to a bad headache, body aches, sinus pressure, congestion, complete loss of smell, mild loss of taste, slight cough, neck pain, sharp stabbing kidney pain, and exhaustion. I called my Kaiser Dr thinking I had a sinus infection, but it was so dry so my dr just prescribed the z pack but said not to take it unless I had green boogers, which never happened. Eventually I started feeling better, but my exhaustion took almost a month to go away. Also, since I got sick my temperature has stayed elevated to 99.3-99.8 ish. It’s strange.

I got worried thinking there was NO way I was still run down from my “flu/cold” and worried I needed to be checked out by the dr for something seriously wrong with me, but I finally feel better now. Also, My mom, dad, brother, husband, aunt, cousins, all came down with varying symptoms too. 

I emailed Princess asking them if others reported any flu symptoms after getting off the boat and telling them about my symptoms but that I couldn’t get tested because my Dr said I didn’t travel to China or Italy. They still haven’t emailed back. 

I was just wondering if anyone else came down with anything or if they know more that hasn’t been brought out. I def could have had the flu, but my daughter had the Flu B in early February and I got nothing... so I was very surprised that We all got sick on this cruise. I know there are a ton of different strains of the flu so who knows. 

I read a tweet on Twitter a few weeks ago that I unfortunately didn’t screenshot and I so wish I did so I could find it again... it said that someone came home from a Royal Princess Cruise and had super mild symptoms and they spread it to others who tested + for Covid but I mean do they really know?! It’s been community spread for a while. My group of friends ended up all getting sick (4 girls)... 3 had super mild symptoms and 1 was almost bad enough to go to the hospital but they wouldn’t test her unless she was admitted. It was insane. She’s okay now and getting antibody tested next week, so I might have more answers. I also will be getting antibody tested. 

thank you for reading and I truly hope we just had the flu and didn’t potentially pass it to lots of other vulnerable people! 

B

glad you feel better

• Thanks 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  I'm glad you are feeling better.  If everyone was coughing on your cruise it is quite likely some people did come down with Covid 19.  I hear that there are probably a lot more people who have had this or are carrying the virus (asymptomatic) than we know because testing is so minimal.  I am sure Princess customer service is overwhelmed so it might take a long time to hear back.

Inspite of getting sick, I hope you had a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

Glad you are doing better.  Based on the test results from the testing done on  people with symptoms , you would have had less than a 20% chance of being positive.  If your antibody tests come back negative, then you will know for sure that you were not infected.

I am not sure of what was considered a high temperature at that time, but I thought it was higher.

When your cruise departed on February 29, there were less than 20 confirmed positive tests in the whole USA.  February 29 was the day of the first confirmed death in the US.  

Come back and let us know about your antibody test results. If you test positive, then perhaps that would lead to all your family members being tested.  On a positive note, you would likely be immune.  

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thank you guys. I definitely won’t be suing Princess for anything and think it’s insane that some people are. We all knew there was a pandemic going on, I was nervous and wanted to not go, they wouldn’t refund us though. But that was part of the contract when we agreed to go and as another poster stated, there were few confirmed cases at the time. There could have been unconfirmed cases, but again, we won’t know until antibody testing. 

on a good note, the cruise was great! My 1 year old has anaphylactic food allergies and they are the first people I’ve allowed to cook for her besides myself. So that was a huge deal for our family. 

When I got off the cruise they said the only symptoms of covid were cough, high fever and SOB still so I just thought I was sick and didn’t think about it being covid until all the mild symptom people started coming out and they started publishing loss of smell which I 100% had. I couldn’t smell my daughters diaper or my coffee anymore. It was so weird. I will definitely update on antibody results! I do feel like it was probably just the flu, but even still I just wonder if anyone else got anything. 

also, I don’t know why Princess wouldn’t respond about if anyone was positive... I too reported to them that I was having symptoms and both me and my aunt tried getting tested but we didn’t meet criteria. Oh well, it’s not a big deal and I will still go on a cruise again. Thank you for responding! 

5 minutes ago, Hellobello0 said:

....When I got off the cruise they said the only symptoms of covid were cough, high fever and SOB still so I just thought I was sick and didn’t think about it being covid until all the mild symptom people started coming out and they started publishing loss of smell which I 100% had. I couldn’t smell my daughters diaper or my coffee anymore. It was so weird. I will definitely update on antibody results! I do feel like it was probably just the flu, but even still I just wonder if anyone else got anything....

Do you know that the next cruise on the Royal, the one scheduled for Mar 7 (the day you disembarked) was cancelled due to COVID concerns?  I don't know what happened to the crew member.

"In a tweet, Princess Cruises said a crew member who previously served on the Grand Princess was transferred to the Royal Princess ship over two weeks ago, prompting the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to issue a "no-sail order" for the ship until the individual was tested for COVID-19."

https://abc7.com/royal-princess-cruise-ship-coronavirus-cruises/5995426/

9 hours ago, Hellobello0 said:

B

Glad to read your family was blessed with good immune system, sadly there are large percentages of the population not as fortunate as you.

Sad also testing isn't wide spread available yet, but someday a antibody test for you and the family may yield the truth.  

In the meantime as you can obviously whatever you had you had a big R0, LOL 

Unfortunate no response..just simply saying hope you are feeling better, would have been kind.

I happened to be on the Carnival Panorama Feb. 29th sailing from Long Beach ..I noticed no one was coughing when we embarked...but like you we had to sign the new paperwork to board...I think many of us were expecting a little more precaution when we embarked..but all pax certainly knew what we were walking into at that time, the possibility of being in a 14 day quartine..if they didn't their head was in the sand. It was even discussed while boarding.

Long story short...we new your ship disembarked, what were you a couple of miles away? and we were  disappointed ours with 4500+ pax stayed an extra night due testing for covin on 1 elderly pax.  ...locals know the story ...we had 1200 kids on board can you imagine?, also we had all disembarked our cabins..we waited..... then food was served, then our cabins reopened, then our luggage delivered..finally at around 10pm we were informed we would be disembarking in the morning.....the unknown..no fun..

Anyway we heard on the ship the next group of pax..had the option to cancel, but yet, when we disembarked the  last group about 10am there were hundreds of people waiting to get on....really was my thought?????fortunate for them they lost one day and disembarked at the correct time, but  that was the last cruise for Panorama.

B.....Come back and tell us about the results of the antibody test. I to have some family members who could not be tested at the beginning, but it seemed they might of had it and ran the course....

Take Care..btw  just like an airline I don't think the cruise industry would respond to your question at any time. My son a DR. in NYC 3 years ago used to have international patients come right off the plane, grab a taxi with the next stop being his county hospital's ER some were extremely sick...question being why did anyone let them on a plane, in the first place, and how did they pass immigration once arriving????? Just sayin...

Edited by land lover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hellobello0 said:

Thank you guys. I definitely won’t be suing Princess for anything and think it’s insane that some people are. We all knew there was a pandemic going on, I was nervous and wanted to not go, they wouldn’t refund us though. But that was part of the contract when we agreed to go and as another poster stated, there were few confirmed cases at the time. There could have been unconfirmed cases, but again, we won’t know until antibody testing. 

on a good note, the cruise was great! My 1 year old has anaphylactic food allergies and they are the first people I’ve allowed to cook for her besides myself. So that was a huge deal for our family. 

When I got off the cruise they said the only symptoms of covid were cough, high fever and SOB still so I just thought I was sick and didn’t think about it being covid until all the mild symptom people started coming out and they started publishing loss of smell which I 100% had. I couldn’t smell my daughters diaper or my coffee anymore. It was so weird. I will definitely update on antibody results! I do feel like it was probably just the flu, but even still I just wonder if anyone else got anything. 

also, I don’t know why Princess wouldn’t respond about if anyone was positive... I too reported to them that I was having symptoms and both me and my aunt tried getting tested but we didn’t meet criteria. Oh well, it’s not a big deal and I will still go on a cruise again. Thank you for responding! 

Just read this addition by you OP...I would agree, u probably had it...from what information we are gathering as time goes on....Glad you had a nice time on the cruise.

Maybe someone will respond and let you know their experience on the same sailing, is all I know we on the Panorama were certainly envious of you guys getting off your ship and we also heard the next sailing was cancelled....while we were awaiting to know what our fate was... So sorry about your illnesses.

Edited by land lover

They say that here in California, many people had Covid-19 quite awhile before it broke out in other places due to the high concentration of people coming into California from Asia, it just wasn't named here then.  I do think this is true especially since in South Orange County, (where some of your fellow passengers could've been from), people go back and forth to Asia quite often.  

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Hellobello0 said:

You can try the CDC Covid-19 self checker, and decided if you had matching symtoms:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/index.html#cdc-chat-bot-open

Eventually, there will be a Serological test available, which will tell you if you actually had Covid-19:

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-updates-methods-cost-availability/

I guess if you had, there is an upside ... current thinking is that this will give you immunity going forward.

But, there haven't been any studies on this yet.

Edited by Roberto256

I was sailing that same week, but in the Carribean. I am sorry to hear you were sick but glad you have recovered. I just want to say that I respect your attitude that people get sick and it is not necessarily  the fault of the cruiseline. This  is a pandemic unlike anything most of us have ever seen in our lifetime. 

• Like 1

@Hellobello0  I was on the same sailing as you and loved the ship and the crew.  

I too noticed a lot of coughing and wrote it off as "the season".  I had no problems after returning home, but then I am always cautious about washing my hands. touching my face, and using hand sanitizer, especially when on a ship.

I did receive an email from Princess on March 11, and I'm including a copy for your information.  You might want to check your SPAM folder, or if you booked thru a TA, it may have gone to them.

Happy to hear  you are feeling better.

Princess Cruises®
mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.cdn.respons
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING YOUR CRUISE

Royal Princess - Voyage 1011 - Booking Number  

Dear Princess Guest:

We hope you enjoyed your recent cruise on Royal Princess and are reaching out to provide you with an update regarding your voyage.

You may have seen reports that the voyage after your cruise was cancelled. The day before Royal Princess arrived back in Los Angeles, Princess Cruises was requested by the U.S. Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to share information about a crew member who previously served on Grand Princess and had transferred to Royal Princess more than fifteen days earlier. The crew member was fifteen days past last potential exposure to COVID-19, has always remained asymptomatic, and had no known contact or exposure to other guests and crew on Grand Princess who became symptomatic.

After sharing all information and details about the crew member, the CDC approved clearance for Royal Princess with no restrictions placed on the vessel and your disembarkation proceeded as scheduled. However, later that day the CDC informed us of their decision to issue a no-sail order until the crew member was tested for COVID-19. Regretfully, we cancelled the cruise scheduled to sail after yours while we waited for those results.

We have now received the official results from the testing of the samples that were taken, and we are delighted to share with you that all of the samples taken tested negative for COVID-19.

We regret any worry this may have caused you. Please know that the safety, health and well-being of our guests and crew is always our top priority.

We thank you for sailing with us and we look forward to welcoming you aboard another Princess cruise in the future.

Kind regards,

Princess Cruises

Notice: This is an automated email; please do not reply as this mailbox is not monitored.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

Do you know that the next cruise on the Royal, the one scheduled for Mar 7 (the day you disembarked) was cancelled due to COVID concerns?  I don't know what happened to the crew member.

"In a tweet, Princess Cruises said a crew member who previously served on the Grand Princess was transferred to the Royal Princess ship over two weeks ago, prompting the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to issue a "no-sail order" for the ship until the individual was tested for COVID-19."

https://abc7.com/royal-princess-cruise-ship-coronavirus-cruises/5995426/

Yes, they say that the crew member tested  negative in their twitter and FB updates from March 11th. So that’s good... but I also have heard reports of others getting sick after getting off but at this point it was probably so widespread so could have been everywhere 

5 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Glad to read your family was blessed with good immune system, sadly there are large percentages of the population not as fortunate as you.

Sad also testing isn't wide spread available yet, but someday a antibody test for you and the family may yield the truth.  

In the meantime as you can obviously whatever you had you had a big R0, LOL 

Lol that’s the other reason why I am so curious because all 4 of my friends got sick... I stayed away from them for a week but I still had no smell and a slight cough but no fever and they all still got sick! It was strange to me. I mean they see other people as well but I would have never went around them had I thought I was potentially carrying it. 

4 hours ago, land lover said:

Just read this addition by you OP...I would agree, u probably had it...from what information we are gathering as time goes on....Glad you had a nice time on the cruise.

Maybe someone will respond and let you know their experience on the same sailing, is all I know we on the Panorama were certainly envious of you guys getting off your ship and we also heard the next sailing was cancelled....while we were awaiting to know what our fate was... So sorry about your illnesses.

I was so nervous for your guys ship. The morning we disembarked, they were telling us over the speakers to proceed with disembarking as they were running 30 minutes early. We felt like we were kind of rushed off. 

Our illnesses were mild but I definitely haven’t felt that crappy in a long time. 

2 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

They say that here in California, many people had Covid-19 quite awhile before it broke out in other places due to the high concentration of people coming into California from Asia, it just wasn't named here then.  I do think this is true especially since in South Orange County, (where some of your fellow passengers could've been from), people go back and forth to Asia quite often.  

I agree. I live in OC and my friends daughter goes to a school where people flew in from Wuhan after it all broke out. She never got sick but it was a stressful time for them knowing they had exposure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

You can try the CDC Covid-19 self checker, and decided if you had matching symtoms:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/index.html#cdc-chat-bot-open

Eventually, there will be a Serological test available, which will tell you if you actually had Covid-19:

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-updates-methods-cost-availability/

I guess if you had, there is an upside ... current thinking is that this will give you immunity going forward.

It would be nice to have immunity but I’ve also been seeing that they are having people test positive again so I don’t know what to think 🥴😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I was sailing that same week, but in the Carribean. I am sorry to hear you were sick but glad you have recovered. I just want to say that I respect your attitude that people get sick and it is not necessarily  the fault of the cruiseline. This  is a pandemic unlike anything most of us have ever seen in our lifetime. 

Thank you! I 100% would never blame the cruise. People are dishonest going on cruises all the time. That’s why there are so many outbreaks in general. And honestly getting sick is a part of life. All of my kids go to preschool and let me tell you we have had SO many different viruses through our home and I don’t blame the preschool. It’s part of being a mom of little kids. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

@Hellobello0  I was on the same sailing as you and loved the ship and the crew.  

I too noticed a lot of coughing and wrote it off as "the season".  I had no problems after returning home, but then I am always cautious about washing my hands. touching my face, and using hand sanitizer, especially when on a ship.

I did receive an email from Princess on March 11, and I'm including a copy for your information.  You might want to check your SPAM folder, or if you booked thru a TA, it may have gone to them.

Happy to hear  you are feeling better.

Princess Cruises®
mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.cdn.respons
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING YOUR CRUISE

Royal Princess - Voyage 1011 - Booking Number  

Dear Princess Guest:

We hope you enjoyed your recent cruise on Royal Princess and are reaching out to provide you with an update regarding your voyage.

You may have seen reports that the voyage after your cruise was cancelled. The day before Royal Princess arrived back in Los Angeles, Princess Cruises was requested by the U.S. Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to share information about a crew member who previously served on Grand Princess and had transferred to Royal Princess more than fifteen days earlier. The crew member was fifteen days past last potential exposure to COVID-19, has always remained asymptomatic, and had no known contact or exposure to other guests and crew on Grand Princess who became symptomatic.

After sharing all information and details about the crew member, the CDC approved clearance for Royal Princess with no restrictions placed on the vessel and your disembarkation proceeded as scheduled. However, later that day the CDC informed us of their decision to issue a no-sail order until the crew member was tested for COVID-19. Regretfully, we cancelled the cruise scheduled to sail after yours while we waited for those results.

We have now received the official results from the testing of the samples that were taken, and we are delighted to share with you that all of the samples taken tested negative for COVID-19.

We regret any worry this may have caused you. Please know that the safety, health and well-being of our guests and crew is always our top priority.

We thank you for sailing with us and we look forward to welcoming you aboard another Princess cruise in the future.

Kind regards,

Princess Cruises

Notice: This is an automated email; please do not reply as this mailbox is not monitored.

Thank you for the email!! I didn’t receive this. The cruise was great! The crew was amazing. 

I’m glad you saw there was a lot of coughing as well! At least I wasn’t imagining it. Glad you didn’t get sick! We had a 10, 8, 6, 5, 4 and 1 year old on board with us. I suspect that is how any germs got to us lol. I was washing hands like crazy but you know how little kids are. My kids got little coughs but nothing serious thankfully. Us adults got it worse. So strange. 

4 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

While the hope is that those who have had it would then be immune ... there are approx 100 people in S.Korea reinfected

• Like 1