Do you REALLY think we'll be cruising this year?

MarkWiltonM

34 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Courses in SC were never closed. Supposedly, one golfer per cart, flags stay in, no inside beverage or food service, etc. Newspaper says they are nearly fully booked. Sounds like the system is doing great.

But we have an avid golfer friend who bought a house on a golf course in Hilton Head in December. He has not played since the virus broke out. He says they aren't following the rules and the clubhouse is crowded every day. He won't risk it.

@hcat  @oceangoer2  Actually, comments about golf and other venues reopening where they have been closed are not off-topic. The experiences of all attempts to reopen social gathering places will be very relevant in any discussion of plans to renew cruising!

I know what you're saying....our clubhouse is totally off limits right now, and most likely will remain that way until restaurants are allowed to open here.  And good point, reopening anywhere is relevant to cruising...but I think that might be the last 'door' to open. 

6 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I get a big kick out of seeing how many cruisers demonstrate on CC how well-versed they are in using computers and mobile devices to research so many things, post links to cool travel ideas, and provide all types of info. Considering the generally older (ahem....) demographic generally associated with cruising, kudos to all the seniors destroying the myth of tech ignorance requiring grandchildren to step in!!!

(ahem) who do you think actually developed the first computers and technology that our children and grandchildren use today?😀

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I get a big kick out of seeing how many cruisers demonstrate on CC how well-versed they are in using computers and mobile devices to research so many things, post links to cool travel ideas, and provide all types of info. Considering the generally older (ahem....) demographic generally associated with cruising, kudos to all the seniors destroying the myth of tech ignorance requiring grandchildren to step in!!!

Right on!  My grand-daughter told me she was going to 'teach' me how to use Zoom...?  Been in the tech world since computers started being the go to in the corporate world.  Surprised her by setting up the family Easter meeting.  Our brains don't stop figuring out next steps just because we're a little 'oldish'...LOL.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Very much so.

Rock concerts, MLB and NFL games, Broadway, major trade shows at McCormick or Javits ... the strategies for getting those back on line are closely connected to the prospects for resumed cruising.  (although the cruise industry also faces the issues of hospital/rescue ships and pre-arranged evacuations/qurantines/repatriation).

I believe that the narrow corridors of cruise ships will be a particular challenge if the guidance continues for a 6-foot zone between people.

In any event, you're entirely right - successes and failures at other social gathering places will have a direct impact on CC members.

You left out NHL...hockey is our life in Canada (for most of us anyway)...season almost finished and we're left hanging!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I'm usually far off the course away from people looking for my golf balls due to my terrible golfing abilities.  

haha!  you too!  Social distancing in the woods not recommended...coyotes in the bushes.

43 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I'm usually far off the course away from people looking for my golf balls due to my terrible golfing abilities.  

Boy, I'm way off topic --- Here's your golf lesson for today --

Take it from a guy who needs, er wants  a new set of clubs because the salesman said " Your handicap will go down from 17 to 3 in no time" . 

The golf ball will ALWAYS go where YOU hit it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

My grand-daughter told me she was going to 'teach' me how to use Zoom...?

LOL----MY grandchildren and lots of CC'ers taught me how to use CC !!!

When I told them about my first ever post on a social media site ( CC ), they couldn't believe what I posted and weren't surprised it was removed so fast.  

" Grandpa ,------ you can't , and you don't ask, and you better not anymore , etc etc " --- Wow , who knew ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

You left out NHL...hockey is our life in Canada (for most of us anyway)...season almost finished and we're left hanging!

Lot of discussion in the last couple of days with Bettman and the owners which I am sure you've seen.  All kinds of different proposals considered, even up to completing the whole season (in say, 4 locations, no fans, 3 or 4 games per day).  Nothing decided obviously but I feel that we may be able to see some action in the next month or so.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL----MY grandchildren and lots of CC'ers taught me how to use CC !!!

When I told them about my first ever post on a social media site ( CC ), they couldn't believe what I posted and weren't surprised it was removed so fast.  

" Grandpa ,------ you can't , and you don't ask, and you better not anymore , etc etc " --- Wow , who knew ????

You can't leave it like that ..... WHAT DID YOU POST?

8 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Lot of discussion in the last couple of days with Bettman and the owners which I am sure you've seen.  All kinds of different proposals considered, even up to completing the whole season (in say, 4 locations, no fans, 3 or 4 games per day).  Nothing decided obviously but I feel that we may be able to see some action in the next month or so.

Heard that....losing a lot of $$s...TV rights will carry them for a while if they can put this deal together, but no fan $$s.  Looking forward to whatever they can televise....any sport...dart boarding even.

Edited by oceangoer2
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Boy, I'm way off topic --- Here's your golf lesson for today --

Take it from a guy who needs, er wants  a new set of clubs because the salesman said " Your handicap will go down from 17 to 3 in no time" . 

The golf ball will ALWAYS go where YOU hit it.

Some golf one-liners..

His golf is improving. He’s missing the ball much closer than he used to!

Golf is a game, invented by God to punish guys who retire early.

The man who takes up golf to get his mind off his work soon takes up work to get his mind off golf.

Golf is a game in which the slowest people in the world are those in front of you, and the fastest are those behind.

Golf: A five-mile walk punctuated with disappointments.

Golf is like life.. you strive for the green, but end up in the hole.

Golf is an easy game… it's just hard to play.

Golf is what you play when you're too out of shape to play softball.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hcat said:

DH watches the old METS  baseball games at night... too funny b/c they only show games they won...yes there are enough of them, so far!

Being a Mets fan, yes I know... LOL

In a week or so they will run out of 'winning' games to show...

bon voayge

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

I don't think I saw what he posted before it got removed. I just remember reading his reaction, and warning him about not criticizing the moderators, etc!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

Oh well-- 

I questioned why people wanted to know or cared who the Captain or other Staff members were going to be on cruises they booked.

Reason---- We have been on lots of cruises over the years , met so many Employees ( high level, some not so high ) and never had a negative incident .

I learned that a question like that is against the Guidelines of CC--- very quickly --- " mostly " in a polite manner .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Oh well-- 

I questioned why people wanted to know or cared who the Captain or other Staff members were going to be on cruises they booked.

Reason---- We have been on lots of cruises over the years , met so many Employees ( high level, some not so high ) and never had a negative incident .

I learned that a question like that is against the Guidelines of CC--- very quickly --- " mostly " in a polite manner .

I remember that comment, not that you made it.  But didn't see anything wrong with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

(ahem) who do you think actually developed the first computers and technology that our children and grandchildren use today?😀

Ha! Who do you think called it a "myth" that seniors need help? 😎

12 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

I remember that comment, not that you made it.  But didn't see anything wrong with it.

I thought I was being funny in the manner I posed the questions.  

However, it didn't conform to the Guidelines.

Lesson learned

Edited by Pinboy
If it is not within the Guidelines , please remove.

4 hours ago, mayleeman said:

But we have an avid golfer friend who bought a house on a golf course in Hilton Head in December. He has not played since the virus broke out. He says they aren't following the rules and the clubhouse is crowded every day. He won't risk it.

Aa few weeks ago, we took our RV to Utah so we could get our son home from Montana without any of us having contact with other humans. Driving through Mesquite, NV, where golf courses had not closed, we saw lots of golfers, and only one group on one hole practicing anything that could remotely be concerned social distancing. 

PapaFej is the sort of golfer who really gets his money's worth: lots of strokes per hole, but he was starting to improve since retiring 7 months ago. He misses it, but he's in no hurry after seeing the behavior of the golfers in NV. 

@mayleeman, my dad travels to SC every fall with a group of other retired cops for 8 days of golf. The last two years, my brother and hubby joined them. Hubby is not scheduled to go this year, as we were supposed to be on a 10 week (mostly cruising) trip to Asia. That's extremely unlikely to happen, but it might be safe for the golf trip to happen. If he goes, I'll encourage him to wave hello.

• Like 1

@MamaFej  I will wave back!

I loved playing for years down here, but about 7 years ago I had to stop because of a "frozen" shoulder (also known as shoulder impingement).

After recovering around a year later, I realized that for years I also had had a major skill problem... so alas, I have not played since. My wife retired last year, and we were all set to give it a shot this spring.

I usually know major world-wide events are not about me, but I think the virus may save the planet from me randomly hacking away and polluting lakes with compressed rubber shards. 

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, npcl said:

Testing in conjunction with a good surveillance and contact tracing, as well as social isolation.

Australia is about 36th on the list of tests per capita. Actually lower level of testing than many other places that had far more cases.  More important was that they moved quickly to limit foreign access, limited internal travel, and had very effective contact tracing with pretty tight quarantine process.  The testing is a support function to the surveillance and contact tracing.  Testing for the sake of testing by itself means very little.

The key is that they had enough testing for the other programs to work because they had relatively few initial cases that they were able to track.

Thanks for adding what I didn't have time to at the time I posted. 

I'm especially impressed by the way Iceland has handled this pandemic. I hope that governments and agencies will learn form each others mistakes and successes. 

• Like 2

Read the story in the link below. Does not bode well for the cruise lines coming to terms with the CDC.

https://apple.news/AXFA049XpQ9aVArOdaWvXMA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 2