Do you REALLY think we'll be cruising this year?

MarkWiltonM

24 minutes ago, yorky said:

To my knowledge the virus travelled from China by plane did it not ?

Yes but it didn't spread on the plane. However I think in Princess Diamond situation the passenger embarked in his home town of HK. No plane involved. Could be wrong. But he didn't spread it on the plane if he did use that to get to the cruise. He sure spread the virus on the ship. 

There is very little evidence of people on planes catching the virus from other passengers on the plane. There is overwhelming evidence of people on a cruise catching the virus from other passengers on the Cruise. Read this paper and maybe you will understand the issue of the cruise environment in spreading contagious disease. 

https://academic.oup.com/jtm/advance-article/doi/10.1093/jtm/taaa030/5766334

But would would scientists know. 😉

Neither planes, trains, buses nor automobiles started the virus. But their role in spreading the virus, once 'onboard' is indisputable. And markedly different. Cruises create the environment to spread the virus. Period. Just need to swallow that truth and not deny it. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

My sister works part time in the pro shop at her club.  Private golf clubs were never closed in Florida.  She plays golf almost every day.  It's free for her and she gets her own cart.  She's been just fine.  And she's over 70.

Now I am jealous! My eldest son who lives in British Columbia tells me that his local course in the Kootenay Valley , which happens to be one of my favourite courses anywhere,  has just opened with restrictions of course imposed by the need for social distancing .Mind you some of the people I play golf with are never within 100 yards of me anyway, especially off from the tee box.

• Haha 1

Even if the ports officially  open locals will not welcome cruisers. We are in Dublin, and while avid Celebrity cruisers, would certainly not like to see Celebrity coming in to port here and discharging thousands of people.  I think most people will think the same. We will be down at the port throwing rotten eggs at you!!

That is what a lot of Cruise Critic enthusiasts don’t get.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

My sister works part time in the pro shop at her club.  Private golf clubs were never closed in Florida.  She plays golf almost every day.  It's free for her and she gets her own cart.  She's been just fine.  And she's over 70.

We came home early to NY in Feb  to greet our new grandbaby and help out,  so our snowbird  season in Fla was cut short....just as the illness started taking hold.  We left Ft Myers healthy and  def caught something  terrible on  the plane , never been sicker! Luckily,  we recovered in time for the new baby.

Folks  have done much better  where we  live down there in terms of recreation and weather.   Hopefully dh can enjoy golf and everything else when we return,  We plan to move our June flights to Nov..as soon as SW Air opens res.  

Current plan is to cruise from Tampa in 2021!  Glad the med note is lifted. 

Saw an interview  with the gov of Maine on TV ....very strict/ rigid  rules there so not sure if cruisers or any visitors will be welcome in that state  for awhile!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Yes but it didn't spread on the plane. However I think in Princess Diamond situation the passenger embarked in his home town of HK. No plane involved. Could be wrong. But he didn't spread it on the plane if he did use that to get to the cruise. He sure spread the virus on the ship. 

There is very little evidence of people on planes catching the virus from other passengers on the plane. There is overwhelming evidence of people on a cruise catching the virus from other passengers on the Cruise. Read this paper and maybe you will understand the issue of the cruise environment in spreading contagious disease. 

https://academic.oup.com/jtm/advance-article/doi/10.1093/jtm/taaa030/5766334

But would would scientists know. 😉

Neither planes, trains, buses nor automobiles started the virus. But their role in spreading the virus, once 'onboard' is indisputable. And markedly different. Cruises create the environment to spread the virus. Period. Just need to swallow that truth and not deny it. 

I’m not seeing anything new if I’m being honest. I don’t think anyone on the planet including me is denying that Covid 19 is far more easily transferred to other individuals on a cruise ship due to the environment. I’ve no idea how many people contract the virus from each other on planes but given the fact that literally thousands of people are sitting and eating together at airports no one is going to convince me it’s not possible given they state over here you can pass it on in a matter of minutes if with a couple of feet of each other. As I say I’m just not sure what this says that we don’t all really know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pinboy said:

LOL-- There will be a lot of Golf Clubs that will not have enough carts, thus leading to " hundreds " of 4 hour marriages or newly-found roommates every beautiful, sunny day for golf. Not so many on rainy days when the courses will be empty. 

It will be   v e r y interesting!

Tom,  is  Day 1.

Have heavy  rain today but nice  weather predicted...they may need security to monitor the lineup...although tee times are more staggered than usual.

Sorry to  non golfers for being off topic, but when we are not cruising dh is golfing...and for now  our gym is closed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Pinboy said:

LOL-- There will be a lot of Golf Clubs that will not have enough carts, thus leading to " hundreds " of 4 hour marriages or newly-found roommates every beautiful, sunny day for golf. Not so many on rainy days when the courses will be empty. 

You're absolutely right....carts were under discussion during a community Zoom meeting...depending on how restricted we are on opening, there could be too many carts per hole.  As I said, in this community, most live on the course with only a few outside members, have our own carts, have MUCH more than a 4 hr marriage...lol...so if golfing per household would be allowed at least we could get some exercise.  However, I've stolen the thread...back to cruising and when will we be able to get out on the ocean again!

Edited by oceangoer2

1 hour ago, billydog said:

Even if the ports officially  open locals will not welcome cruisers. We are in Dublin, and while avid Celebrity cruisers, would certainly not like to see Celebrity coming in to port here and discharging thousands of people.  I think most people will think the same. We will be down at the port throwing rotten eggs at you!!

This is what so many here miss.  Even if somehow ports are technically opened, it does not magically guarantee that the citizens living in that port will agree.

As we found out less than 2 months ago when we were approved to enter Reunion Island (part of France in the Indian Ocean).  We had already been barred from Madagascar (and later would be banned from Cochi, Mumbai, Abu Dhabi and Dubai) so we were excited about being able to disembark for a few hours.

Unfortunately, the local citizenry had different ideas and blocked our exit at the only port gates.  We literally had to push and shove our way out of the gates until enough pax arrived to win the numbers game.  We fared much better than the Sun Princess, which arrived the next day, when a riot and violence broke out as the citizens once again tried to block the cruise pax.   

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Golf opens here in PA tomorrow May 1.  And we have one of the most restrictive governors and states.  There are some here saying this is a bad idea but I am not among those.  Golf is a very low risk activity and easy for social distancing.  Lower risk by far than a grocery store IMO.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billydog said:

I agree with you but Happy Cruiser will tell you that it is only your belief, so stop cruising.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oceangoer2 said:

However, I've stolen the thread...back to cruising and when will we be able to get out on the ocean again!

LOL-- I was only having a little fun about the 4 hr marriages , so, 2 people in the same cart would be permitted under the new rules.

After 16 pages on this topic, I think the points are made . Some say yes, others say no. 

Before anyone replies with " So why are you looking at this thread or BYE BYE , or Get over it, Dude , etc " ,  I enjoy reading the many opinions on various subjects. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Golf opens here in PA tomorrow May 1.  And we have one of the most restrictive governors and states.  There are some here saying this is a bad idea but I am not among those.  Golf is a very low risk activity and easy for social distancing.  Lower risk by far than a grocery store IMO.  

totally agree...but with reasonable restrictions and putting in place relevant social distancing.  We can walk the course right now without a club in hand, so why not be able to 'hit a few'... won't even mind several bad shots...LOL.

Yes I do as well, what I dont enjoy is someone telling me that is my opinion ONLY and telling me to stop cruising. Just plain nasty and maybe other adjectives as well. 

3 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL-- I was only having a little fun about the 4 hr marriages , so, 2 people in the same cart would be permitted under the new rules.

After 16 pages on this topic, I think the points are made . Some say yes, others say no. 

Before anyone replies with " So why are you looking at this thread or BYE BYE , or Get over it, Dude , etc " ,  I enjoy reading the many opinions on various subjects. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

I realized you were having fun and appreciate your sense of humour...much needed...!  under these self-isolate conditions, there's time when forced cohabitation shouldn't last as long as 4 hrs...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Cruise ships are some of the worst places to be .  Until there is a vaccine to eradicate covid, there can be no cruising. Crews can not be in those close quarters and neither can passengers.

A vaccine is a year or more away, or maybe not at all. As the  flu vaccine is not totally effective, we could presume neither would a covid vaccine be. 

Can a cruise line not go bankrupt without sailing for  one or two years?

They are similar in the type of disease symptoms they cause but are different viruses.  There is a common presumption that you express here- that an ineffective influenza vaccine = an ineffective SARS-CoV-2 vaccine.  Not necessarily the case.

Yes a cruise line or any other business can go bankrupt quite easily with no income stream for extended time periods.

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

They are similar in the type of disease symptoms they cause but are different viruses.  There is a common presumption that you express here- that an ineffective influenza vaccine = an ineffective SARS-CoV-2 vaccine.  Not necessarily the case.

Yes a cruise line or any other business can go bankrupt quite easily with no income stream for extended time periods.

Yes not necessarily the case. You are right, I needed to add that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fouremco said:

From the Royal blog website:

Earlier on Tuesday, Royal Caribbean Senior Vice President of Sales and Trade Support & Service Vicki Freed took questions from travel agents about a variety of topics that many guests are wondering about.

In addition to announcing a doctor's note is no longer needed for guests who are over 70 years old, a number of hot topics were hit during the question and answer session of the call, and here are the answers provided to concerns many readers have had as well.

I guess they were just tired of reading all the Doctor's Note threads here. 😀 But it is great news all kidding aside!

Courses in SC were never closed. Supposedly, one golfer per cart, flags stay in, no inside beverage or food service, etc. Newspaper says they are nearly fully booked. Sounds like the system is doing great.

But we have an avid golfer friend who bought a house on a golf course in Hilton Head in December. He has not played since the virus broke out. He says they aren't following the rules and the clubhouse is crowded every day. He won't risk it.

@hcat  @oceangoer2  Actually, comments about golf and other venues reopening where they have been closed are not off-topic. The experiences of all attempts to reopen social gathering places will be very relevant in any discussion of plans to renew cruising!

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

totally agree...but with reasonable restrictions and putting in place relevant social distancing.  We can walk the course right now without a club in hand, so why not be able to 'hit a few'... won't even mind several bad shots...LOL.

I'm usually far off the course away from people looking for my golf balls due to my terrible golfing abilities.  

• Haha 2

Just now, jonthomas said:

Yes I do as well, what I dont enjoy is someone telling me that is my opinion ONLY and telling me to stop cruising. Just plain nasty and maybe other adjectives as well. 

I see you are relatively new to CC posting as I was a few months ago and agree 100% .

However, there are some on sites like this that will " push your buttons " to get a reaction. 

In a short time you will spot them .

Stick with it--- lots of excellent information from knowledgeable , polite people --- even when they don't agree with you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pinboy said:

I see you are relatively new to CC posting as I was a few months ago and agree 100% .

However, there are some on sites like this that will " push your buttons " to get a reaction. 

In a short time you will spot them .

Stick with it--- lots of excellent information from knowledgeable , polite people --- even when they don't agree with you.

No need to agree with me when I am wrong and I am wrong a lot.  Love it when I learn something new that shows me the error of my ways.  

I am not new to CC but it always amazes me when people are rude, no matter how many years I may have been on CC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mayleeman said:

@hcat  Actually, comments about golf and other venues reopening where they have been closed are not off-topic. The experiences of all attempts to reopen social gathering places will be very relevant in any discussion of plans to renew cruising!

Very much so.

Rock concerts, MLB and NFL games, Broadway, major trade shows at McCormick or Javits ... the strategies for getting those back on line are closely connected to the prospects for resumed cruising.  (although the cruise industry also faces the issues of hospital/rescue ships and pre-arranged evacuations/qurantines/repatriation).

I believe that the narrow corridors of cruise ships will be a particular challenge if the guidance continues for a 6-foot zone between people.

In any event, you're entirely right - successes and failures at other social gathering places will have a direct impact on CC members.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

No need to agree with me when I am wrong and I am wrong a lot.  Love it when I learn something new that shows me the error of my ways.  

I am not new to CC but it always amazes me when people are rude, no matter how many years I may have been on CC.

Indeed, there are some of those (and a couple in the 30,000+ post category). Snide, snippy, sometimes badgering and often intellectually dishonest.

But there are also a lot of kind, open-minded people of good will on CC. The kind of folks you'd really enjoy meeting onboard. To me, they're the ones who count. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Indeed, there are some of those (and a couple in the 30,000+ post category). Snide, snippy, sometimes badgering and often intellectually dishonest.

But there are also a lot of kind, open-minded people of good will on CC. The kind of folks you'd really enjoy meeting onboard. To me, they're the ones who count. 

You are so right. I have met so many wonderful folks over the years. We still travel with some of them and always look forward to meeting others. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

But there are also a lot of kind, open-minded people of good will on CC. The kind of folks you'd really enjoy meeting onboard.

I get a big kick out of seeing how many cruisers demonstrate on CC how well-versed they are in using computers and mobile devices to research so many things, post links to cool travel ideas, and provide all types of info. Considering the generally older (ahem....) demographic generally associated with cruising, kudos to all the seniors destroying the myth of tech ignorance requiring grandchildren to step in!!!

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 2