Cunard's Cancellations/Refunds Update 23rd April 2020

rog747

Another Aussie still waiting.  We were booked on the the 26 March cruise and directly with Cunard.  Filled in the form for full refund on 16 March and have not heard a thing since.

Friends booked on the same cruise have just received a refund for their drinks package but nothing else.

Interesting discussion with a lady on Facebook via the Cunard notification of how “diverse” they are etc etc etc. She was due to cruise on the same one as myself on September 11th ex NY to Quebec and return and was trying to get through to Cunard to confirm that this cruise is definitely cancelled (Canada having closed ports and waters until end of October) because she was due to pay the sizeable balance and didn’t want to cough up if she was then going to have to wait 90 days for a refund. She eventually got through on the phone and was told NOT to pay the balance and that the deposit would be refunded. She asked for email confirmation of this advice. Not forthcoming as yet.

Since my due date for balance payment is June 13th I shall be on the blower Monday morning to see exactly what Cunard are advising. 

The Cunard PR has been disastrous and could be deeply damaging to the brand as I feel previously dedicated customers are now demanding refunds rather than FCC and are not confident in the Cunard management.

26 minutes ago, Roger Ackroyd said:

The Cunard PR has been disastrous and could be deeply damaging to the brand as I feel previously dedicated customers are now demanding refunds rather than FCC and are not confident in the Cunard management.

We totally agree.  We were on the World Cruise and are still waiting for refunds etc.  Pretty much complete lack of communication from Cunard.  Not at all impressed.  We have actually received refunds from other lines, so no reason why Cunard could not handle this better than they have.

21 minutes ago, netpj said:

We totally agree.  We were on the World Cruise and are still waiting for refunds etc.  Pretty much complete lack of communication from Cunard.  Not at all impressed.  We have actually received refunds from other lines, so no reason why Cunard could not handle this better than they have.

We feel the same.  We have refunds now from Celebrity and Oceania.  Crickets from Cunard, even after calling and being reassured that our refund was sent to “Finance”.   Very unimpressed.

3 hours ago, Roger Ackroyd said:

Interesting discussion with a lady on Facebook via the Cunard notification of how “diverse” they are etc etc etc. She was due to cruise on the same one as myself on September 11th ex NY to Quebec and return and was trying to get through to Cunard to confirm that this cruise is definitely cancelled (Canada having closed ports and waters until end of October) because she was due to pay the sizeable balance and didn’t want to cough up if she was then going to have to wait 90 days for a refund. She eventually got through on the phone and was told NOT to pay the balance and that the deposit would be refunded. She asked for email confirmation of this advice. Not forthcoming as yet.

Since my due date for balance payment is June 13th I shall be on the blower Monday morning to see exactly what Cunard are advising. 

Sadly I think they have damaged the brand already. Other cruise lines seem to be doing better job  at retaining their customer base. It is all very well publishing scone recipes and identifying with the cause of the day but people want realistic information of refund time scales instead of being fobbed off with platitudes should they deem to ask what is happening with individual claims. People who take the Cunard experience are generally prepared to pay more for their voyages and do stay loyal once they have taken a Cunard cruise. Over years people could buy and sell the equivalent of several homes to fund their cruising. Big money is at stake here so don't blow it Cunard. Settle up or explain why not. We can then all look to the future and plan to sail with you again.

With regards to retaining their customer base, I am still a loyal Cunard customer and I know of a few others, who don't post on CC or any social media, who have booked cruises next year with the company.

I would imagine, we're not alone judging by the cruises which have sold out on a few stateroom categories or don't give the chance of booking specific staterooms. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Agree with Victoria2 there must be many loyal customers,  all cruises I  fancy are fully booked in QG in 2021

Perhaps a very good reason as to why NOT to take FCC instead of refund?? BTW - good luck with those 2021 sailings! 

Edited by bazzaw

On 6/6/2020 at 1:15 AM, fionaanne1 said:

Happy to tell you full refund, including flights received this afternoon for May 9th Sydney to Vancouver QE cruise.

I applied for the refund around second week April so within the 60 days.

I didn't otherwise contact Cunard and only knew about the refund when I checked my CC statement just now, so no accompanying email.

All I have to do now is get the hefty amounts off three CCs and back into my 'fun fund'.

I am in UK.

That's great you've received a refund for the cruise directly after mine, with a refund application around 2 weeks after mine. Not a peep from anyone about my refund. Happy spending....

On 6/4/2020 at 10:20 PM, bazzaw said:

It would be wonderful if what you say is true - however I do not believe you. ... I would be delighted to hear that any AUS/NZ passengers have received a refund of their fares.

@bazzaw: I think you have your answer in post 525 quoted below. Do you believe that?

12 hours ago, Edithclara said:

Great news Aussies - today I saw two social media posts from Australian customers who booked through TAs who have both received their fare refunds for their 9 March Sydney Yokohama QE cruise

39 minutes ago, kentchris said:

@bazzaw: I think you have your answer in post 525 quoted below. Do you believe that?

I am overwhelmed!!!  Two reports of refunds out of how many thousands of passengers on QE alone? 

39 minutes ago, kentchris said:

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

I am overwhelmed!!!  Two reports of refunds out of how many thousands of passengers on QE alone? 

So you accept that AUS customers are actually getting fare (not excursion etc) refunds which is promising. You didn't believe it at all when I told you a couple of days ago so you're making some progress.

Edited by kentchris

2021 sailings selling out? Well, if the majority of 2020 sailings have been cancelled and people took the opportunity to transfer their bookings then I am not surprised that there is little availability for 2021.

And what happens to all those bookings for cruises yet to be cancelled September, October...? Are those clients happy to let Cunard sit on their money until 2022 if 2021 cruises are sold out? How far ahead can Cunard extend the FCC? And if you rebooked with FCC and THAT cruise is cancelled will there be FCC on top of the previous FCC? 

• Like 2

I am pleased to see on the UK website, that the Canadian trips are now NOT showing. We had booked our trip in October when first released and so much looking forward to Quebec, as part of a 25 day holiday/cruise, but now just want to be released from this. The NY days were not appealing.

Already looked at the same for next year, but the grades not available for what we want. Awaiting formal announcement, which will probably lead to more hassle for refunds.  Still patiently waiting for money promised mid March.

Transatlantic crossing booked via TA for 31/05 from New York. Should be disembarking at Southampton today!!

Form submitted to Cunard for full refund on 27/04.

No communication from either Cunard or TA since.

Looked at bank account this morning and found full refund (from TA) paid in on Friday 05/06 so

68 days after form submission.

On 6/5/2020 at 5:08 AM, Lynnewob said:

JohnnyLikely

I received the Cunard email confirming the refund is being sent by cheque on 4 June.

However, I actually received the cheque in the post on 1 June (cheque is dated 28 May). 

It's worth following up on the situation due to our email being received after the cheque.

Thanks! After bugging them on Twitter+Facebook they are reissuing to the correct address (I hope!)

1 hour ago, LadyL1 said:

I am pleased to see on the UK website, that the Canadian trips are now NOT showing. We had booked our trip in October when first released and so much looking forward to Quebec, as part of a 25 day holiday/cruise, but now just want to be released from this. The NY days were not appealing.

Already looked at the same for next year, but the grades not available for what we want. Awaiting formal announcement, which will probably lead to more hassle for refunds.  Still patiently waiting for money promised mid March.

Hi Lady L,

Sounds as if we were to be on the same cruises (NY-Quebec-NY - Southampton). We are expected to pay our balance next Saturday but have heard nothing from Cunard to the opposite. Did you pay your balance or are holding off?

2 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

Sorry but as of 1130hrs on 7/6 my booked cruise of 28nts from Southampton to USA/Canada on QM2 in October is still being advertised for sale.

18 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

With regards to retaining their customer base, I am still a loyal Cunard customer and I know of a few others, who don't post on CC or any social media, who have booked cruises next year with the company.

I would imagine, we're not alone judging by the cruises which have sold out on a few stateroom categories or don't give the chance of booking specific staterooms. 

I imagine that a lot of the bookings would be people who have taken FCC's and are trying to use them.

1 hour ago, Roger Ackroyd said:

Hi Lady L,

Sounds as if we were to be on the same cruises (NY-Quebec-NY - Southampton). We are expected to pay our balance next Saturday but have heard nothing from Cunard to the opposite. Did you pay your balance or are holding off?

We booked on board, so direct with Cunard. Balance due July 11th.

36 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but as of 1130hrs on 7/6 my booked cruise of 28nts from Southampton to USA/Canada on QM2 in October is still being advertised for sale.

It is unbelievable,  but when I looked at 8.00am this morning, the 2020 Canadian cruises were definitely not listed!🤨 My euphoria has quickly evaporated!

Cunard have previous form for continuing to sell cruises they know they cannot deliver. 

They continued to sell the Circumnavigation of Australia when they knew Australian borders were closed to non Aussies.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/coronavirus-cunard-selling-cruise-holidays-australia-a9432556.html

Edited by Dahani
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 2:18 PM, Roger Ackroyd said:

Hi Sandra,

It will be interesting to see what you get back from Cunard - if anything. We have to pay by June 13th so have a week extra to fret.

A) I don't want to lose any deposit by cancelling now

but

B) I don't want to pay £10k final payment when the cruise is obviously not going to happen. It feels as if Cunard is playing a game of cat and mouse with our monies and banking on people choosing to transfer to a cruise next year but whilst that may have been the case early on I get the feeling most are opting for refunds now as the future cruising still looks very doubtful.

Please come back if and when you get a response.

Best wishes

Roger

Hello Sandra and Roger , we are booked on QM cruise from NY to Quebec and back with 2flights and train trip but booked through TA with absolute final balance payment date on 11th June (they extended it a couple of times but Cunard wants payment 90 day before departure or we lose deposit) What have you managed to do Sandra? And what are you going to do Roger. This trip cannot go ahead but Cunard have not cancelled  it. From Chris

3 hours ago, Chocdrop said:

Hello Sandra and Roger , we are booked on QM cruise from NY to Quebec and back with 2flights and train trip but booked through TA with absolute final balance payment date on 11th June (they extended it a couple of times but Cunard wants payment 90 day before departure or we lose deposit) What have you managed to do Sandra? And what are you going to do Roger. This trip cannot go ahead but Cunard have not cancelled  it. From Chris

Hi Chris and Roger

I hope to have an update when we phone Cunard tomorrow. On Saturday we phoned 3 times and after pressing a variety of buttons with a variety of options (you know how it works!) each time it went to cut off. The intention was to discuss this ridiculous situation with them and ask for a week's extension. We expect to get through tomorrow and reach some amicable agreement.

If necessary I shall ask a very devious question : If we transfer our booking to the same thing leaving Southampton on 2 October this year , that would give us an extra 26 days before final payment. It is still showing as for sale. Of course, we all know that will also be cancelled.  I don't remember seeing anything to say we can't do that. Just a lot of trouble for all of us and the same end result.

Just wish I had thought of it sooner.

Will let you know what happens. Sandra

Edited by macsford
signature

40 minutes ago, macsford said:

Hi Chris and Roger

I hope to have an update when we phone Cunard tomorrow. On Saturday we phoned 3 times and after pressing a variety of buttons with a variety of options (you know how it works!) each time it went to cut off. The intention was to discuss this ridiculous situation with them and ask for a week's extension. We expect to get through tomorrow and reach some amicable agreement.

If necessary I shall ask a very devious question : If we transfer our booking to the same thing leaving Southampton on 2 October this year , that would give us an extra 26 days before final payment. It is still showing as for sale. Of course, we all know that will also be cancelled.  I don't remember seeing anything to say we can't do that. Just a lot of trouble for all of us and the same end result.

Just wish I had thought of it sooner.

Will let you know what happens. Sandra

I shall be trying to garner some information as well tomorrow. Be interesting to see what Cunard comes back with (I've already sent an email question on this matter some 5 days ago but no response yet).