Would you wear a mask every time you were outside your cabin?

clo

16 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I have seen there have been complaints from law enforcement about the regulations about wearing masks because there is no penalties involved. Therefore they see very little they can do when confronted by a situation like just happened with that funeral.

I've seen some communities are fining, up to $1k. I'm clueless as to a solution.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Oh, I wish you'd spoken up sooner. My husband made ours out of an old tee shirt. All you need is a ruler and scissors. The ties are part of it. I tie the bottom one below my hairline and the upper one up on my head.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-to-make-t-shirt-face-mask-coronavirus_l_5e8f2f06c5b6b371812d15af

I cannot recall where I read it but supposedly masks made from tee shirts and not supposed to be good.I read it after Mrs.66 made tee shirt masks that we wore.

20 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

That's not the first time that has happened since the outbreak. The same thing happened in Rockland County a few weeks back.

Mayor DeBlassio of NYC is incredibly pissed, as he should be. However, the councilman representing those people is pissed at the mayor claiming he is fanning anti-Semitism by singling out this incident saying he would not say the same thing if they were not Hasidic Jews. Now that is really the height of arrogance because he is right that the mayor would not say this about other groups only because no other group would be doing this!

I have seen there have been complaints from law enforcement about the regulations about wearing masks because there is no penalties involved. Therefore they see very little they can do when confronted by a situation like just happened with that funeral.

The Amish communities do not wear masks either. 

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I cannot recall where I read it but supposedly masks made from tee shirts and not supposed to be good.I read it after Mrs.66 made tee shirt masks that we wore.

They are better than nothing.

2 hours ago, clo said:

But wearing it wrong is better than not wearing it at all.  

Most often not. Most people wearing them wrong do not cover the nose, keep fidgeting with them, or take them on and off, reversing them. These things all contribute to more chance of infection—not less.

26 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Hold a tshirt up to the light, stretch a little and look through it. Then you will see why. You need tightly woven material and an inserted proper filter and they will be very effective at protecting you from others,

21 minutes ago, clo said:

They are better than nothing.

Minimally and that is only if you make several layers and remove it properly and wash it after every use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Some of us have an ear anatomy that makes wearing normal face masks impossible, or nearly.  Making our own masks?   Sewing skills?  No.   Sewing machine?  No.  What ought to seem to be so simple does not always translate into reality.  

Ears are not necessary to wear a mask. There are numerous, very easy hacks. Hard to explain, but google it for pics. A paper clip can pull the elastic behind your head. A 2-3 inch ribbon with a button on each end will hold the elastic. Have even seen the little plastic monkeys from the barrel of monkeys game used. Healthcare workers here have come up with many modifications due to sore ears from the elastic. Most prefer the homemade ones have ties.

Just returned from my weekly shopping trip, here in the UK. Fortunately I live in an area where there have been very few cases. Saw about 4 or 5 people wearing masks (2 of them wrongly fitted), and a few more people wearing gloves, including one lady who quite happily rubbed her mouth with her gloved hand ! 

13 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The Amish communities do not wear masks either. 

Some were wearing masks, some were not. But that was not the main problem. They were packed together as if they were on an outside deck muster drill. There was absolutely zero social distancing!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 8:40 AM, wowzz said:

I agree - if you are told to wear one, do so. But you also need to follow the advice that is also given as to the correct way to wear it.

True of most things in life isn't it.   So obvious I don't even understand why it needs to be said. 

14 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

I agree that a N-95 is one of the most effective masks available - and wife and I use them since I had a half-dozen left over from my DIY construction work. But the 95 is a measure of the percentage of particulates filtered out of the air and not a percentage measure of the effectiveness against COVID-19. Still it is the best we have.

Regardless of the meaning of the "95" on the label (or mask) they are also 95% effective in effectiveness against COVID-19--of course provided it is airborne particles one is worried about.  Transmission can also occur via touching particles and then your face.  

14 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Could you point me to that study ? 

N95 is a very good mask but how did you come to that 95% number?

I honestly don't recall, but it was an official site such as Mayo or CDC.  It reduces the chance of aerosol transmission of airborne (droplet based) disease by 95%.  Of course it is not going to be effective against a kid who is infected but asymptomatic licking the shopping cart handle or elevator button or handrail a few minutes before you touch it and then wipe your eye.  

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Some of us have an ear anatomy that makes wearing normal face masks impossible, or nearly.  Making our own masks?   Sewing skills?  No.   Sewing machine?  No.  What ought to seem to be so simple does not always translate into reality.  

I am sure you can figure out how to wear a mask.  Stop excuses.   Wear a mask when out around others.   Let's pull together to get past this thing.  

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The CDC still has using a t-shirt in their no-sew tutorial and states the material can be used in a pinch for sewn options.  While a tighter knit or weave would be better, your wife used material approved by CDC so it should be fine.

13 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Most often not. Most people wearing them wrong do not cover the nose, keep fidgeting with them, or take them on and off, reversing them. These things all contribute to more chance of infection—not less.

But anything is better than nothing, we are irresponsible if we point out potential errors in masks 🙄

13 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Hold a tshirt up to the light, stretch a little and look through it. Then you will see why. You need tightly woven material and an inserted proper filter and they will be very effective at protecting you from others,

While the CDC does recommend several layers of fabric, they do list t-shirt as acceptable material.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Regardless of the meaning of the "95" on the label (or mask) they are also 95% effective in effectiveness against COVID-19--of course provided it is airborne particles one is worried about.  Transmission can also occur via touching particles and then your face.  

From the 3M (manufacturer of the N95 respirator) website:

• NIOSH approved for at least 95 percent filtration efficiency against certain non-oil based particles

14 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Minimally and that is only if you make several layers and remove it properly and wash it after every use.

Thanks for responding to the poodle lady.That is exactly what I was about to post.

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

They have not had mass turnouts for funerals in NY City or suburbs, right?

Not all Hasids are the same.There are different sects.The group in Crown Heights where I lived for 23 years practice social distancing as do those living in Boro Park.

It is those who live in Williamsburg who went to the funeral.They are still living in earlier 

century thinking.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Some were wearing masks, some were not. But that was not the main problem. They were packed together as if they were on an outside deck muster drill. There was absolutely zero social distancing!!!!!!!!!

If you have the opportunity and are interested,watch the documentary Onorthodox and learn about the Hasidic community in Williamsburgh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

The CDC still has using a t-shirt in their no-sew tutorial and states the material can be used in a pinch for sewn options.  While a tighter knit or weave would be better, your wife used material approved by CDC so it should be fine.

But anything is better than nothing, we are irresponsible if we point out potential errors in masks 🙄

While the CDC does recommend several layers of fabric, they do list t-shirt as acceptable material.

We have since purchased masks .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

That anything is better than nothing does not apply. Worn improperly or handled improperly will expose the wearer to more danger. There is nothing irresponsible about correcting misconceptions and irresponsible people. I think your emoji implies sarcasm but not sure the people on this board can detect sarcasm very well. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

That anything is better than nothing does not apply. Worn improperly or handled improperly will expose the wearer to more danger. There is nothing irresponsible about correcting misconceptions and irresponsible people. I think your emoji implies sarcasm but not sure the people on this board can detect sarcasm very well. 🙂

Excellent post. 

I would also add that it is important that single use masks are exactly that, and need to be disposed of directly into a bag which is then sealed. 

Wearing and handling masks incorrectly is worse than not wearing one at all.

I'm suspect of the medical "experts."  At first they said don't wear a mask.  Now they say do wear a mask.  Others say a mask does you no good because you don't have the right mask, you will touch your face or you are too stupid to wear it. 

And if you dare question the experts are you are "irresponsible" and they must correct your "misconceptions."  

Having given every bit of possible advice the medical "experts" can now say "I told you so" no matter what happens. 

No wonder "medical experts" have so little credibility.    

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

This tiresome argument has been overdone.  Of course it is possible to misuse something —instead of these repetitious posts, it might be smarter to simply point out that when correctly used, face masks do help— the user somewhat, and everyone else somewhat more - and is simply responsible behavior.

Why not warn people against cruising ?—- You could point out that falling off a ship can lead to drowning  —- which is clearly worse than staying at home.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Why not warn people against cruising ?—- You could point out that falling off a ship can lead to drowning  —- which is clearly worse than staying at home.