Would you wear a mask every time you were outside your cabin?

clo

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I appreciate all the suggestions (and offers!)

I called my medical provider with my concerns and was told that someone would meet me at my car with a mask (and gloves) on Thursday, so that sorts out the immediate need.

And a second update -- the masks I ordered are listed by title as "surgical masks" but the written description makes it clear that they are not supposed to be used for medical or surgical purpose. So assuming they come this week, I should be good....

Great news! Hope all goes well.

On 4/26/2020 at 10:37 AM, bonsai3s said:

We may not have a choice...if ships tells me I have to wear a face mask, then I would...but it would be tough to drink and eat. 😆😁😷

I agree. I can’t imagine always wearing a mask outside of the stateroom. BUT, I do think we will all be doing a lot of things we would have never imagined just a few months ago.  I do believe that wearing masks in a lot of places outside of our homes may soon seem very “normal” behavior.

On 4/23/2020 at 4:57 PM, RocketMan275 said:

A mask does not protect you from the virus.

A mask will prevent an infected person from spreading the virus.

The only reason masks are being pushed now is to keep the asymptomatic person from spreading the virus.

Not true AT ALL.  An N-95 has a 95+% efficacy rate against COVID-19.  

For crying out loud, we are in the middle of a pandemic.  If your health officials say to wear a mask then wear it.  If they say to not wear a mask then don't wear it. If you don't understand why, ask them.  Endless "not necessarily" debates are starting to make my eye twitch.😀   

Edited by ldubs
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

For crying out laud, we are in the middle of a pandemic.  If your health officials say to wear a mask then wear it.  If they say to not wear a mask then don't wear it. If you don't understand why, ask them.  Endless "not necessarily" debates are starting to make my eye twitch.😀   

I agree - if you are told to wear one, do so. But you also need to follow the advice that is also given as to the correct way to wear it.

• Thanks 1

Everyone, could we please try to be kind here - I am saddened by the language and personal attacks in this thread and in others. This is a difficult time for all of us. People are sick, people are dying. Let's not attack one another because of how we may be feeling cooped up and a little irritable. Maybe some of us would do well with stepping back for a while, taking a (physically-distanced) walk in the fresh air... baking a delicious cake or some brownies... 😊 Come on, let's be kind. 💖

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, there is no point to wear a mask outside. The effect of the mask is high only when everyone else around you wears a mask. Also there is no point of walking around in the street with a mask on. You will only wear it out quicker. As far as cruisers go, there is no point of wearing it in a cabin, only when you leave a cabin I would say it should be mandatory to wear it at the moment

To answer the original question ... NO...I would definitely NOT consider this at all.  If I had to wear a mask to cruise I would have to start at alternate vacations as that would not be enjoyable at all.  Equally it would seem stupid given it would be on and off and on and off all the time to eat and drink so not sure the value of doing this so don't see this ever happening.

Edited by poffles

Before I even book a cruise that would be sailing within the next 5 or 6 months, I would first try to find out if the ports on my chosen itinerary are open to tourists. Also what, if any, restrictions might be in place for visitors. I would not want to go on a cruise if I had to wear a mask all of the time outside of my cabin, and I definitely wouldn't enjoy just sailing around on the ocean for a week because the ship can't dock anywhere.

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

For crying out loud, we are in the middle of a pandemic.  If your health officials say to wear a mask then wear it.  If they say to not wear a mask then don't wear it. If you don't understand why, ask them.  Endless "not necessarily" debates are starting to make my eye twitch.😀   

Thanks to the she-gawd for YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were in Costco today where they have a sign up at the door notifying people that beginning Monday customers will have to wear masks. In fairness most already were. But not all. There was one man mask-less who I sweetly asked if he'd seen the sign and no he hadn't. So I told him, again sweetly, about it and he said "well, good thing I'm here today then," not so sweetly. And then said gruffly "well, you can't find them anyway." And then I said, "oh, my husband made ours out of old tee shirts." Filthy look and stalked away.  Indeed ldubs "for crying out loud...."

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

I agree - if you are told to wear one, do so. But you also need to follow the advice that is also given as to the correct way to wear it.

But wearing it wrong is better than not wearing it at all.  Yoo-hoo, Mr. Pence!

1 hour ago, poffles said:

To answer the original question ... NO...I would definitely NOT consider this at all.  If I had to wear a mask to cruise I would have to start at alternate vacations as that would not be enjoyable at all.  Equally it would seem stupid given it would be on and off and on and off all the time to eat and drink so not sure the value of doing this so don't see this ever happening.

I'm guessing if half the tables are removed from all dining venues, you might have enough social distancing. Close all the bars, coffee shops and the like. Wear masks to show-type venues, to work out. Probably have to close the pool(s), climbing walls, etc. If cruising resumes before there's a vaccine, what else could they do? And what will CDC allow them to do? Although it sounds like some possible corruption may have even crept in there when you consider the mealy-mouthed 'suggestions' they made to meat packing plants.

1 minute ago, clo said:

I'm guessing if half the tables are removed from all dining venues, you might have enough social distancing. Close all the bars, coffee shops and the like. Wear masks to show-type venues, to work out. Probably have to close the pool(s), climbing walls, etc. If cruising resumes before there's a vaccine, what else could they do? And what will CDC allow them to do? Although it sounds like some possible corruption may have even crept in there when you consider the mealy-mouthed 'suggestions' they made to meat packing plants.

Sounds about right.  What an awesome trip that would be 😁

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, clo said:

well, you can't find them anyway."

Some of us have an ear anatomy that makes wearing normal face masks impossible, or nearly.  Making our own masks?   Sewing skills?  No.   Sewing machine?  No.  What ought to seem to be so simple does not always translate into reality.  

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Some of us have an ear anatomy that makes wearing normal face masks impossible, or nearly.  Making our own masks?   Sewing skills?  No.   Sewing machine?  No.  What ought to seem to be so simple does not always translate into reality.  

Oh, I wish you'd spoken up sooner. My husband made ours out of an old tee shirt. All you need is a ruler and scissors. The ties are part of it. I tie the bottom one below my hairline and the upper one up on my head.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-to-make-t-shirt-face-mask-coronavirus_l_5e8f2f06c5b6b371812d15af

On 4/28/2020 at 8:32 AM, ducklite said:

Could you point me to that study ? 

N95 is a very good mask but how did you come to that 95% number?

1 hour ago, clo said:

Thanks to the she-gawd for YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were in Costco today where they have a sign up at the door notifying people that beginning Monday customers will have to wear masks. In fairness most already were. But not all. There was one man mask-less who I sweetly asked if he'd seen the sign and no he hadn't. So I told him, again sweetly, about it and he said "well, good thing I'm here today then," not so sweetly. And then said gruffly "well, you can't find them anyway." And then I said, "oh, my husband made ours out of old tee shirts." Filthy look and stalked away.  Indeed ldubs "for crying out loud...."

NY state already requires everyone except those 2 and under or anyone who cannot wear a mask for medical reasons to wear a mask when entering a store. This mandate came down IIRC about a week or so ago. Stores do have signs saying you must wear a mask to enter,

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

NY state already requires everyone except those 2 and under or anyone who cannot wear a mask for medical reasons to wear a mask when entering a store. This mandate came down IIRC about a week or so ago. Stores do have signs saying you must wear a mask to enter,

I saw and read about that Hasidic funeral in NY. (Some)People are so incredibly arrogant.

This morning at 10:59 I received an e-mail from a community center in my area stating that anyone driving to the front entrance could receive 10 free masks.They said someone would come to your car and give it to you but you had to be there no later than 10:30 AM.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, clo said:

I saw and read about that Hasidic funeral in NY. (Some)People are so incredibly arrogant.

That's not the first time that has happened since the outbreak. The same thing happened in Rockland County a few weeks back.

Mayor DeBlassio of NYC is incredibly pissed, as he should be. However, the councilman representing those people is pissed at the mayor claiming he is fanning anti-Semitism by singling out this incident saying he would not say the same thing if they were not Hasidic Jews. Now that is really the height of arrogance because he is right that the mayor would not say this about other groups only because no other group would be doing this!

I have seen there have been complaints from law enforcement about the regulations about wearing masks because there is no penalties involved. Therefore they see very little they can do when confronted by a situation like just happened with that funeral.

On 4/28/2020 at 11:32 AM, ducklite said:

I agree that a N-95 is one of the most effective masks available - and wife and I use them since I had a half-dozen left over from my DIY construction work. But the 95 is a measure of the percentage of particulates filtered out of the air and not a percentage measure of the effectiveness against COVID-19. Still it is the best we have.