If they plan to sail with a decreased capacity....

Midwifelife7

with more and more states slowly reopening and with business like restaurants reopening. i have a feeling all cruise lines will be following what these states and restaurants is doing and by the end of may or early june, the cruise line will have a game plan of what to do onboard the ships.

the cruise ship elevator issue is the same issue most big office building currently have and i wont be surprised if Carnival is facing the same issue at their HQ for the limited staff still there and not working from home. What works at the HQ building can be applied to the ships

16 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

The history since early March shows that the companies will keep as much of the deposit cash as possible ... then delay cancellation as long as possible. An interest-free loan from passengers. (And even better if they can then deflect the passenger's refund request into an FCC)

If this were true Carnival would not be offering a $600 OBC for those that rebook instead of cancelling.  That's 30 percent interest on a $2,000 short term loan.

• Like 1

I booked the Breeze for Oct 10 early last year.  As early as August last year I found the ship to be almost full when I checked for a price drop.  I called my PVP last November wanting to add a third cabin (handicapped balcony) and was told that there were none available, and that the ship was almost full at that time.

As of today, there are no available balconies but they are selling inside cabins, but just a few available.

I'm not saying the ship is full.  I think it is very likely that many people cancelled the cruise and Carnival has not resold their cabins. 

15 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

It's actually July 24 - CDC shows this info and it spells out the date under their "No Sail Order for Cruise Ships":

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

April 9, 2020 Update

On April 9, 2020, CDC renewed the No Sail Order and Other Measures Related to Operations Order signed by the CDC Director on March 14, 2020—subject to the modifications and additional stipulated conditions as set forth in this Order. The Order is published in the Federal Register and effective as of April 15, 2020 (https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2020-07930external icon).

The extended Order is in effect until one of the following occurs:

• The Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declares that COVID-19 no longer constitutes a public health emergency, or
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or
  • 100 days have passed from April 15, the date the extended order was published in the Federal Registerexternal icon and went into effect. 100 days from April 15 is July 24.

ONE of the conditions must be met. That is why it is a wait and see situation. There is no certain date. Some sailings booked after June 26th may still go or may not go. I have nothing booked until Feb 2021 and still feel a little apprehensive. However if they are still cancelling cruises that late than we will all

have much bigger concerns.

Edited by Bookbug53
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chief93 said:

If this were true Carnival would not be offering a $600 OBC for those that rebook instead of cancelling.  That's 30 percent interest on a $2,000 short term loan.

Not really...If you think about it, your $600 OBC represents lost revenue opportunity to them, but the COST is much lower, especially if you use it towards something you wouldn't have bought otherwise. For example, if you use it for drinks, it costs them pennies on the dollar. Only thing I can think of that would be a dollar for dollar loss would be gratuities. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

It's actually July 24 - CDC shows this info and it spells out the date under their "No Sail Order for Cruise Ships":

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

April 9, 2020 Update

On April 9, 2020, CDC renewed the No Sail Order and Other Measures Related to Operations Order signed by the CDC Director on March 14, 2020—subject to the modifications and additional stipulated conditions as set forth in this Order. The Order is published in the Federal Register and effective as of April 15, 2020 (https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2020-07930external icon).

• The Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declares that COVID-19 no longer constitutes a public health emergency, or
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or
  • 100 days have passed from April 15, the date the extended order was published in the Federal Registerexternal icon and went into effect. 100 days from April 15 is July 24.

SeaHunt - you did the research & presented facts. Instagator did likewise on a different thread. Thanks to both of you for that; it's a service to CC members.

It's a good antidote to the baseless guesses and wrong-headed conclusions that are still presented by the small but increasingly strident, sniping group of self-professed "optimists."  

CC is of valuable for providing reliable, honest information. So, established from the CDC itself:  CDC No Sail Order is in effect until July 24

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

CC is of valuable for providing reliable, honest information. So, established from the CDC itself:  CDC No Sail Order is in effect until July 24

The order also states it is in effect until the SHHS declares COVID-19 is no longer a health emergency or the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order. So technically cruise dates prior to July 24 are still in play, although personally I don’t see either of these two options happening any time soon. 

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Even with reduced capacity it would be impossible to socially distance....unless the ship sailed at something like 25% capacity and without children (just because they may not follow rules).  Imagine getting on/off the ship with 6 ft between you and the guy in front of you and another 6 ft with the guy in back of you.

And, I keep going back to the subject of elevators....so many passengers just won't walk the stairs!  In my building we have a one person/family at a time rule.  This just won't work on a ship.

All the cleaning and hand washing in the world won't do anything if one asymptomatic person has one big sneeze.

Really, it's not only children that do not follow rules, it's also adults. My state now mandates wearing a mask or some sort of covering outside or when going into a store. I see so many adults in my neighborhood not wearing masks when outside. And twice the other day I saw an adult with a child where the adult was not wearing a mask and the child either had a mask on or a scarf covering their mouth and nose.

17 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

They probably are marking every other cabin as 'sold' to ensure they sail at 50% capacity and to make sure people don't book cabins next to each other- which will make the ship look full when it really isn't.

I don't believe that is the case here, because when I booked the cruise, it was already pretty full. We had to settle on cabins.  The person I spoke with from carnival commented that the ship was pretty full.  

34 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Really, it's not only children that do not follow rules, it's also adults. My state now mandates wearing a mask or some sort of covering outside or when going into a store. I see so many adults in my neighborhood not wearing masks when outside. And twice the other day I saw an adult with a child where the adult was not wearing a mask and the child either had a mask on or a scarf covering their mouth and nose.

Yeah...I agree.  But, people on this thread are talking about "decreased capacity" and how to handle it.

Personally....I think the capacity should be limited to 0...until there's a vaccine  OR  a big warning stating "cruise at your own risk" (like pools w/o lifeguards) and passengers should have to sign a waiver.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Yeah...I agree.  But, people on this thread are talking about "decreased capacity" and how to handle it.

Personally....I think the capacity should be limited to 0...until there's a vaccine  OR  a big warning stating "cruise at your own risk" (like pools w/o lifeguards) and passengers should have to sign a waiver.

What if there isn't a vaccine?  What if the virus continues to morph like influenza making yearly vaccinations a guessing game?

We would have two choices.  Move on with life or live forever 6ft apart and never being in large groups.  At some point society will have to move on and COVID will be just another factor in life just like the flu....a minuscule chance we all take yearly.

Edited by ray98

1 minute ago, ray98 said:

What if there isn't a vaccine?  What if the virus continues to morph like influenza making yearly vaccinations a guessing game?

We would have two choices.  Move on with life or live forever 6ft apart and never being in large groups.

Simply not tenable.  I do get the concern with how it is ow, but cruising will commence (in whatever way will work when that time comes (and we are not talking years but in weeks or a couple months) with some form of relaxed social distancing, just like life will be.  

20 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Well, since the CDC order ensures cruise ships stay parked until late July ... then it's seems clear that cruise isn't going to happen.

It ensures no such thing. They gave two outs to theoretically allow cruising before late July:

The Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declares that COVID-19 no longer constitutes a public health emergency, or

The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or

100 days have passed from April 15, the date the extended order was published in the Federal Registerexternal icon and went into effect. 100 days from April 15 is July 24.

That said, I'd guess the smart money would be cruises resuming sometime after July 24th, rather than on or before that date. But that isn't assured.

Edit: Sorry, was going to delete to content of this post since it duplicates others, but I was quoted before I got to it.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Why do so many keep posting the CDC order but then pretending only one clause is in effect?

Because they do not want to accept it as fitting their argument?

• Like 2

Just now, Earthworm Jim said:

It ensures no such thing. They gave two outs to theoretically allow cruising before late July:

The Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declares that COVID-19 no longer constitutes a public health emergency, or

The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or

100 days have passed from April 15, the date the extended order was published in the Federal Registerexternal icon and went into effect. 100 days from April 15 is July 24.

That said, I'd guess the smart money would be cruises resuming sometime after July 24th, rather than on or before that date. But that isn't assured.

Some posters have agendas......

• Like 2

On a more positive note, I see Royal has patented some things that might be a foresee of things of the future.  The first was a sea mask (which I assume will be a RC logo on a mask, maybe a short time thing.  The second was a name that was tied to providing some kind of electronic muster attendance.  Not a lot of detail here, but this address one of those hard to imagine areas tied to social distancing.  

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Why is it people like you, who seem terrified about this virus stay at home and allow people like me, who is not scared at all let us go on with our `normal` lives.  I would be on a ship the day they resume if I knew the date. I would not wear a mask as I have yet to wear one nor will I wear gloves.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Simply not tenable.  I do get the concern with how it is ow, but cruising will commence (in whatever way will work when that time comes (and we are not talking years but in weeks or a couple months) with some form of relaxed social distancing, just like life will be.  

Exactly.  As the numbers play out by the day more and more become ready to move forward.  We can't just wait this out.  It probably isn't going anywhere any time soon just like the flu.  At some point people will just have to realize it is just another chance we take in life and move forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The industry won't survive the amount of time required to find a vaccine. If it morphs then it's a game of educated guesses. If it becomes seasonal we will see some years worse than others. The worse scenario is it becoming seasonal. 

2 minutes ago, wareaglefan444 said:

Why is it people like you, who seem terrified about this virus stay at home and allow people like me, who is not scared at all let us go on with our `normal` lives.  I would be on a ship the day they resume if I knew the date. I would not wear a mask as I have yet to wear one nor will I wear gloves.  

The quoted poster lives in New York City, and her view may be totally different than yours or mine.  While I might not agree with the knee jerk reaction, I certainly understand the view.  Having 2 kids in their families that live in Long Island, and 3 kids and their families in lower CT, they have a different experience than we do in SW Florida.  Just one of the wonderful little side bars of the horrible experience.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ibarrio said:

The industry won't survive the amount of time required to find a vaccine. If it morphs then it's a game of educated guesses. If it becomes seasonal we will see some years worse than others. The worse scenario is it becoming seasonal. 

Society won't survive the amount of time it is required to find a vaccine.  If we destroy our industry, food chain and supply chain we will end up crippled much worse than any virus can do.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ibarrio said:

Not sure if the whole industry would cease to exist, but it would certainly be totally different and not in a good way.  There are no guarantees on a vaccine being 100% or even close.  The world will adapt and go on, but we should never forget about from where it came and the rest of the factors as well.