If they plan to sail with a decreased capacity....

Midwifelife7

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

The problem lies in whether people view it.  

you may have to click ok that you watched it, like the room service menu buttons.  i think its a great idea and no more packed like sardines and half of it is wasted time and nonsense anyway.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

The problem lies in whether people view it.  

3 hours ago, seaman11 said:

you may have to click ok that you watched it, like the room service menu buttons.  i think its a great idea and no more packed like sardines and half of it is wasted time and nonsense anyway.  

The speculation was there could possibly be a code that you would get at the end of watching the video and then there would be a place to enter the code at your muster station to verify that you saw the video and you know specifically where your muster station is.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Because they apparently want Cruises to stop and thus keep waving around the CDC order like it somehow is the be all end all. 

Because at this moment in time it is the "be all end all" , until the time comes that the CDC recinds it. 

They hold the cards "right now", until it's changed. When the CDC changes it all well and good, if next week that's great. 

The fact is today the "no sail is in effect" until the date it expires.

We can speculate all we want. And that's what everything is a guess, even an educated guess if one goes by the facts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Because at this moment in time it is the "be all end all" , until the time comes that the CDC recinds it. 

They hold the cards "right now", until it's changed. When the CDC changes it all well and good, if next week that's great. 

We can speculate all we want. And that's what everything is a guess, even an educated guess if one goes by the facts.

I am starting to see some symmetry to how the cruise lines are approaching this (not that it is a coercive effort) by their postings in the industry rags (after the CDC opens the door with the secret key).  It appears it will be a process over time, and that is probably a good thing.

16 hours ago, Midwifelife7 said:

Not only is it not realistic to "wait" on a vaccine, it is also unrealistic to require people to take a vaccine in order to cruise.  

Old here - but back in the day people carried little 'vaccination books' require to travel into foreign lines, participate in the armed forces, all sorts of things.  I don't see an issue with it, honestly.

With good fortune, perhaps they will find a vaccine which these generations will greet with the same gratitude as my mother's generation welcomed the Salk/Sabin vaccines.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I am starting to see some symmetry to how the cruise lines are approaching this (not that it is a coercive effort) by their postings in the industry rags (after the CDC opens the door with the secret key).  It appears it will be a process over time, and that is probably a good thing.

And hopefully cruising can begin soon, it’s just amazing that some don’t believe the facts. It’s not like some made up story. 

It’s pretty simple the reality of it “now”. 

Agree it’s going to take time and the cruise lines need to get it right. Can anyone imagine the repercussions if they don’t?

21 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

SeaHunt - you did the research & presented facts. Instagator did likewise on a different thread. Thanks to both of you for that; it's a service to CC members.

It's a good antidote to the baseless guesses and wrong-headed conclusions that are still presented by the small but increasingly strident, sniping group of self-professed "optimists."  

CC is of valuable for providing reliable, honest information. So, established from the CDC itself:  CDC No Sail Order is in effect until July 24

Well said!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, beerman2 said:

Very much so.

Much preferable to have projections based on facts and truth. Even when the conclusion contradicts the reassurance of misguided "hope."

It's been quite the odyssey with the CDC order. First the "optimists" here insisted it had been withdrawn ... when proven wrong, they barked & barked about how it would expire in early June ... when proven wrong, some went to sneering at the CDC & derisively blaming America's health agency (while predictably defending Carnival). 🙄

https://www.yahoo.com/news/carnival-ceo-no-idea-cruises-201930591.html

Even the chief of CCL says cruising doesn't start again the way things are. In this article, he says a restart is possible "when the world is ready for a social gathering."  And two weeks ago on CNBC, he said social distancing will need to be over before cruising begins.

Yet a few bitter diehards here continue pounding their drumbeat of disinformation. 

Edited by EscapeFromConnecticut
  • Like 2

I just can't stop to wrap my mind around the fact we just cruised at the end of December and it was status quo. we all ate in the buffet, danced on the lido deck, waited in line for breakfast burritos at Blue Iquana. 

Wow. amazing how much has changed in 4 months. crazy. 

we will cruise again. Just as airline travel changed after 911, we too will learn a new way of cruising. maybe no more free for all buffets on the lido deck and we are served. now how to keep the chairs separate.. that's another question.

14 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I think I still have my vaccine record from my military days. Yes, it was a little booklet. My kids had them, too. I always harped at the medical staff to annotate the kids' inoculations in their shot records. I was able to use those records as proof down the road for school entry.

I may be a bit younger than you, but I know how my family reacted to the polio vaccine and I remember the sugar cubes when I was in elementary school. I'm sure I didn't fully understand the significance of all the vaccines I had to take as a kid, which was nothing compared to what they require today. The alternative is not a fun idea, though the anti-vaxxers would have us believe otherwise.

I had the sugar cubes too! I had no idea at the time why my mother and grandmother were so emotional about it.  Dad too, but not with tears in his eyes.  In later years I remember reading a biography of the great actress, Helen Hayes, and her daughter's death of polio.  And, of course FDR.  I think it finally hit me then the fear that parents of those generations felt, and how the 'sugar cubes' must have seemed a gift from heaven.

Even now I wish I had better immunization records from the old days.  I actually got mumps as an adult, and then my internist ran titers to check on other 'childhood diseases' I may have missed.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stellarose said:

I just can't stop to wrap my mind around the fact we just cruised at the end of December and it was status quo. we all ate in the buffet, danced on the lido deck, waited in line for breakfast burritos at Blue Iquana. 

we will cruise again. Just as airline travel changed after 911, we too will learn a new way of cruising. maybe no more free for all buffets on the lido deck and we are served. now how to keep the chairs separate.. that's another question.

We did that in the middle of March so imagine how different it seems for us.

Just throwing this out there.  But Carnival is doing the great crew member swap in the Caribbean and starting to re-repatriate all the crews back to their countries.    Once all of the ships are de-crewed.   I'd imagine it would take two weeks if not a month, to get a new crew transported, and boarded, and trained.    So even when CDC says your good to go.   At this point it's probably 30 days or so beyond that date.

12 hours ago, greykitty said:

With good fortune, perhaps they will find a vaccine which these generations will greet with the same gratitude as my mother's generation welcomed the Salk/Sabin vaccines.   

I remember this well, in 6th grade.

2 hours ago, Elbozi said:

Just throwing this out there.  But Carnival is doing the great crew member swap in the Caribbean and starting to re-repatriate all the crews back to their countries.    Once all of the ships are de-crewed.   I'd imagine it would take two weeks if not a month, to get a new crew transported, and boarded, and trained.    So even when CDC says your good to go.   At this point it's probably 30 days or so beyond that date.

They have already answered this. There are staff coming off holiday and the start up is not the entire fleet.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

this. There are staff coming off holiday and the start up is not t

That's super, they are keeping everyone employed then.  No layoffs or furloughs.  That's outstanding.

I didn't look through all of the replies so I dunno if this was said already but I think what may happen is they may send an email  asking for volunteers to move their bookings (maybe offer more obc) because I'm sure plenty of people will not want to be some of the first to sail again. Who knows what the number will be but whatever % they sail at im sure its going to be a massive undertaking to figure it all out. After that...I would assume they would go in order of who booked first and who is sailing from an already canceled cruise. JMO 

18 hours ago, stellarose said:

I cruised in the second week of March. Things were already starting to change, but overall, life went on as normal. No one had to social distance. No one died. There wasn't even any infections, to my knowledge. Suddenly, two weeks later, the entire world was a biohazard.

53 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I cruised in the second week of March. Things were already starting to change, but overall, life went on as normal. No one had to social distance. No one died. There wasn't even any infections, to my knowledge. Suddenly, two weeks later, the entire world was a biohazard.

And nothing was ever said about the cruise ships during that period that had no incidents. One was given the impression by the CDC and the news outlets that all cruise ships were "viral floating petri dishes".

11 hours ago, Elbozi said:

That's super, they are keeping everyone employed then.  No layoffs or furloughs.  That's outstanding.

The cruise ship employees, minus some of the upper officers, don't receive any form of payment from the cruise lines between contracts and they don't receive any benefits like health insurance so it costs the company nothing to just delay their new contracts. It's technically not a layoff or furlough but to the employee it feels the same as that. No money or benefits coming in until they are joining a ship. 

15 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And nothing was ever said about the cruise ships during that period that had no incidents. One was given the impression by the CDC and the news outlets that all cruise ships were "viral floating petri dishes".

I worked on cruise ships for five years and only got norovirus once. The media really blows up the cleanliness stories about these ships because it gets great clicks. A cruise ship that fails its kitchen health inspection is still cleaner than any land restaurant kitchen guaranteed. The problem is when a virus outbreak happens on the ships its admittedly very hard to contain it that's why when everything is fine 99.99% of the time, that .01% can get out of hand very quickly if not handled prompt and correctly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crusinpsychRN said:

What does this mean: 

In my building we have a one person/family at a time rule.

4 minutes ago, crusinpsychRN said:

What does this mean: 

In my building we have a one person/family at a time rule.

I think she was referring to elevator use.