Crazy but I just booked Alaska for September

iggyc

On 5/1/2020 at 7:45 PM, iggyc said:

We couldn’t pass up the deal. Balcony for $2600 for the two of us including gratuity. Direct flights from Detroit for $270 per person. Can cancel up to 48 hours before cruise

we had $500 CN certificates and used our stimulus money. I’m looking at this as a free cruise. 

Jewel is currently booked at 55%. NCL travel guy said it looks like they will only book to 70%. Not worried about buffet. Never eat there. 

What would make you book a cruise in 2020

Nothing could make me book any cruise until the cruise lines begin sailing again. I certainly do not expect any cruises to Alaska this year. I would nto give any cruise line any money at this time because I think they are going to end up seeking bankruptcy protection and all those deposits are going to be gone.

• Like 5

Good for you!  I hope it happens.  Nobody, including frequent CC opinionators (like me), has a crystal ball...opinions and speculation is all we've got.  You know the risks.  If your cruise happens, go at it with eyes wide open, take precautions, prepare for some setbacks (quarantine) and live life.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 7:45 PM, iggyc said:

We couldn’t pass up the deal. Balcony for $2600 for the two of us including gratuity. Direct flights from Detroit for $270 per person. Can cancel up to 48 hours before cruise

we had $500 CN certificates and used our stimulus money. I’m looking at this as a free cruise. 

Jewel is currently booked at 55%. NCL travel guy said it looks like they will only book to 70%. Not worried about buffet. Never eat there. 

What would make you book a cruise in 2020

I agree with the title of this thread ....  That is crazy!

• Like 1

As Outerdog said, Zero chance you will be sailing.

In Seattle, Amazon has told their employees that can keep working from home until Oct. 1. That port will be closed.
And if it originates in Canada, I doubt that Canada would  open its borders by September to people who come from the country that has the most Covid cases in the world.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

As Outerdog said, Zero chance you will be sailing.

In Seattle, Amazon has told their employees that can keep working from home until Oct. 1. That port will be closed.
And if it originates in Canada, I doubt that Canada would  open its borders by September to people who come from the country that has the most Covid cases in the world.

Maybe canada would open its borders by september to people except that come from the city that has the most virus cases?  Cant treat Idaho like some big city that has a  bunch of plague 

2 hours ago, Nclcruise1415 said:

We just booked in mid-October. I'm a gambler- what can I say. 🙂

Not a gamble, you haven't risked anything. Just  maybe an unwise financial move.

You've effectively made a 9 month interest free loan to NCL. You can get  repaid 90 days after they eventually cancel your mid October cruise.

• Like 1

Ouch, Newleno. Ever hear the phrase, “ Don’t spit in the sky”?
By the way, I love Idaho. Been there several times. Did not realize I was not welcome. And by the way, yes, we do have the plague in our Region. So far have lost one friend, several sick.

Don’t bother with a reply. I’m done.

• Thanks 1

I look at it like a high risk investment. Could lose and get a fcc for 125%.  Could go and have a great cruise for little cost and way less crowds. NCL could go bankrupt and I lose my stimulus money that wouldn’t hurt me financially. 

not a senior, no health issues, and retired. seasoned world traveler so I’m good with go with the flow and changing course

I spoke to ncl today.  They have pulled joy from the Alaska lineup.   Jewel may go out of Seattle. They only have to have coast guard certify that they sailed in Canadian waters for jones act. So Canada not letting ship in won’t be a problem

16 minutes ago, iggyc said:

I look at it like a high risk investment. Could lose and get a fcc for 125%.  Could go and have a great cruise for little cost and way less crowds. NCL could go bankrupt and I lose my stimulus money that wouldn’t hurt me financially. 

not a senior, no health issues, and retired. seasoned world traveler so I’m good with go with the flow and changing course

I spoke to ncl today.  They have pulled joy from the Alaska lineup.   Jewel may go out of Seattle. They only have to have coast guard certify that they sailed in Canadian waters for jones act. So Canada not letting ship in won’t be a problem

OH that would be a game changer, game changer  ooohhh  Plus we would not have to pay those exorbitant canadian  taxes, would we?

Edited by Newleno

I’m doubling checking because I hate bad information. I thought he said the joy was being moved to Cape canaveral instead of Alaska.  If I hear different I will let you know. 

How exciting.   Have you been to Alaska?  It's amazing.   My husband and I went in 2013 and I thought it was so amazing I took my kids in 2014.  I hope you get to go.  Enjoy your trip!

I wouldn't call it crazy, BUT I would call it risky, particularly  after seeing that Warren Buffet dumped all his airline stock today.  Said he did it with the assumption it would be 2-4 years before flying would return to normal.

Being from the midwest, we really need to fly if we want to cruise. 

I recently got my deposit for two cruises (suites) +some prepaid DSC and a water package refunded to my credit card in the amount of $3,400.00.  I cancelled the 2 cruises before final payment April 1st, it was refunded April 18th.  Seeing Warren Buffets move today reassured me that I did the "safe" thing with my $$$, as much as we love to sail NCL, I don't see cruising as we know it coming back into fashion anytime soon.  😔

1 hour ago, iggyc said:

I’m so sorry I misstated which ships would be in Alaska. 

jewel, bliss and joy.  Sun is being moved to port canaveral

What I find interesting is that Bliss is currently 'laying up' in Norfolk Virginia (along with Encore & Spirit).

The Joy is on the west coast but Bliss would have quite a trip to make it to Seattle for the July sailings that are currently available to book on NCL dot com.    Kind of makes me think they will leave Bliss on the east coast for now.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9751509

2 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

What I find interesting is that Bliss is currently 'laying up' in Norfolk Virginia (along with Encore & Spirit).

The Joy is on the west coast but Bliss would have quite a trip to make it to Seattle for the July sailings that are currently available to book on NCL dot com.    Kind of makes me think they will leave Bliss on the east coast for now.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9751509

Yes, I've actually been worried about that....I am booked on a September Bliss Alaska cruise.

I'm seriously considering booking JULY or AUGUST Alaska cruises! I'm open to cruise lines (I really wanted to try Celebrity), but found on the Joy a well located balcony with all the "Free at Sea" stuff (the only part of it that's a good deal really for me is the drinking and dining package) for $1,916 (it's just me going) but figured I could find on Ebay 2 of those Cruise Next Vouchers (I believe NCL is allowing you to use 2 right now) and if I get them down to $150 each, it would take the price down to $1,716 (so not including gratuities or excursions $245 a night which I think is pretty good). 

A couple of things are stopping me...One is Victoria is listed in the itinerary (was actually planning on going there for a long weekend last month!). I was considering the Joy because it stops there. Assuming Canada says no to cruises (I figure that they will say no), financially I would be financially better off not on that particular cruise. The other is (and I'm hearing conflicting info on this on here), is that if NCL cancels that trip, that they no longer will give you a refund and that you are just getting cruise credit which expires (I don't want this for airfare and I definitely do not want this for a cruise!). 

I,too, was looking at Alaska in September on the Bliss. We lie in Fl, and the total cost, including airfare through NCL would have been just over $4000.00 for a balcony. What stopped me was the early final payment date. After today's news, I' glad I held off.

8 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

I'm seriously considering booking JULY or AUGUST Alaska cruises! I'm open to cruise lines (I really wanted to try Celebrity), but found on the Joy a well located balcony with all the "Free at Sea" stuff (the only part of it that's a good deal really for me is the drinking and dining package) for $1,916 (it's just me going) but figured I could find on Ebay 2 of those Cruise Next Vouchers (I believe NCL is allowing you to use 2 right now) and if I get them down to $150 each, it would take the price down to $1,716 (so not including gratuities or excursions $245 a night which I think is pretty good). 

A couple of things are stopping me...One is Victoria is listed in the itinerary (was actually planning on going there for a long weekend last month!). I was considering the Joy because it stops there. Assuming Canada says no to cruises (I figure that they will say no), financially I would be financially better off not on that particular cruise. The other is (and I'm hearing conflicting info on this on here), is that if NCL cancels that trip, that they no longer will give you a refund and that you are just getting cruise credit which expires (I don't want this for airfare and I definitely do not want this for a cruise!). 

a july alaska cruise ? this year?  i thought i was optimistic. 

I usually cruise around end of Sept./Oct., and would be willing to do so if the situation gets better (back working at the office, more stores open locally, etc.).   NY to Bermuda or Canada, so no air needed.  Not sure if I would partake of the pools/hot tubs, though...probably not.   I would not book now, but I usually don't book until 30-60 days out, anyway.

On 5/4/2020 at 6:17 PM, Aladdin22 said:

Where did you hear this cruise is cancelled? We’re on this cruise and haven’t heard anything and it’s still being sold

I called my travel agent because we were thinking on canceling.  Wanted her opinion on it due to final payment was due in a week. Was wondering if NCL would waiver the date by a month or so.  She called back in less than a half hour and told me NCL had told her that the cruise was canceled.