SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

From the Wall Street Journal Friday, they had this headline: What the Covid Testing Changes Mean for Air Travelers to the U.S." with this sub-headline: "With travelers now allowed to enter the U.S. without taking a test, here’s what to expect on travel rules and airfares.

Here are some of their story highlights:Beginning Sunday, air travelers no longer need to take Covid-19 tests before their flights to the U.S.  The rule change is the latest in a string of shifting policies throughout the pandemic.

Among the questions in bold, below was their WSJ responses/background: "Do I have to be vaccinated to be exempt?  No, the rule change applies to all travelers.   Could the rules change again?  Yes. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may reinstate the testing requirement for international travelers to the U.S. if it is needed in the future, such as if a more virulent Covid-19 strain emerges. The agency will reassess the decision in 90 days and on a continuing basis after that.  Do I still have to take a test to enter certain countries?  Yes, the rule only applies to testing to enter the U.S., not to enter other countries. Many countries have eliminated entry requirements. But Spain, for example, requires proof of vaccination, or proof of a negative Covid-19 test or documentation of recovery for travelers arriving from the U.S.  What does this mean for international airfares?  The removal of the Covid test requirement will be a catalyst for even more people to travel abroad from the U.S. and will make the U.S. a more desirable destination for international travelers, said Henry Harteveldt, a travel industry analyst. As demand increases, airfares will increase, he predicted."

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-test-international-flights-travel-11654884865?mod=life_work_lead_story

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

PS: Did J.P. and Chris make it back home safely to Albany, NY, over the weekend?

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 49,311 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Great timing!!  Was just getting ready to post details from that news story.  Appreciate this above link posting and follow-up.  

From a Wall Street financial website this morning, they had this headline: Cruise Lines Call for CDC to Change Covid Testing Policy" with this sub-headline: "The trade association representing Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Norwegian, and most of the industry has called on the Centers for Disease Control to make a big change.

Here are some of their story highlights:With the United States government dropping mandatory covid tests for international travelers, the cruise industry remains the only travel business that still requires testing.  The decision by the Centers for Disease Control, which takes effect June 12 allows people to fly to the U.S. without taking any sort of covid test, which should lead to an increase in travel.  That's good news for cruise lines as 'in 2019, more than 1 million guests from Canada sailed from a U.S. homeport, 570,000 guests from Brazil sailed from a U.S. homeport, and 280,000 from Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central America,' Cruisehive reported.  More passengers from around the world will be able to get to the U.S., but actually getting on a cruise ship will still require taking a covid test no more than two days before the day they sail. That rule remains in place and the Cruise Line Industry Association (CLIA) -- a trade group which represents the interests of Royal Caribbean International, Carnival, Norwegian, and most major cruise lines around the world -- has called for the CDC to review the rules under which cruise ships are now voluntarily operating under in partnership with the federal agency.

Here is more from their story: "Hotels, theme parks, and airlines want international travelers and they have much more leverage over the CDC than cruise lines given that they are U.S.-based businesses while cruise ships are not. That's why the cruise lines remained fully closed from U.S. ports while people packed Disney World, concerts, and hotel conference centers.  Cruise lines, however, do have a large economic impact on the U.S. economy, however, and the CLIA wants the cruise industry -- which has not suggested it plans to drop vaccine requirements -- to be treated like other travel businesses."

Full story at:

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/cruise-lines-call-for-cdc-to-change-covid-testing-policy

Dubrovnik!  Nice visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic and historic location. Over 48,794 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Great timing!!  Was just getting ready to post details from that news story.  Appreciate this above link posting and follow-up.  

From a Wall Street financial website this morning, they had this headline: Cruise Lines Call for CDC to Change Covid Testing Policy" with this sub-headline: "The trade association representing Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Norwegian, and most of the industry has called on the Centers for Disease Control to make a big change.

Here are some of their story highlights:With the United States government dropping mandatory covid tests for international travelers, the cruise industry remains the only travel business that still requires testing.  The decision by the Centers for Disease Control, which takes effect June 12 allows people to fly to the U.S. without taking any sort of covid test, which should lead to an increase in travel.  That's good news for cruise lines as 'in 2019, more than 1 million guests from Canada sailed from a U.S. homeport, 570,000 guests from Brazil sailed from a U.S. homeport, and 280,000 from Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central America,' Cruisehive reported.  More passengers from around the world will be able to get to the U.S., but actually getting on a cruise ship will still require taking a covid test no more than two days before the day they sail. That rule remains in place and the Cruise Line Industry Association (CLIA) -- a trade group which represents the interests of Royal Caribbean International, Carnival, Norwegian, and most major cruise lines around the world -- has called for the CDC to review the rules under which cruise ships are now voluntarily operating under in partnership with the federal agency.

Here is more from their story: "Hotels, theme parks, and airlines want international travelers and they have much more leverage over the CDC than cruise lines given that they are U.S.-based businesses while cruise ships are not. That's why the cruise lines remained fully closed from U.S. ports while people packed Disney World, concerts, and hotel conference centers.  Cruise lines, however, do have a large economic impact on the U.S. economy, however, and the CLIA wants the cruise industry -- which has not suggested it plans to drop vaccine requirements -- to be treated like other travel businesses."

Full story at:

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/cruise-lines-call-for-cdc-to-change-covid-testing-policy

Dubrovnik!  Nice visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic and historic location. Over 48,794 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

I would add that cruise ships sailing out of non-US ports have different COVID policies with respect to testing, so it is always best to verify with the line before boarding the ship.

Just returned from the UK to the US today. Very relieved no testing required today although I did waste $100 to purchase tests before heading overseas. Airports and train stations are jammed. Masks are rare. The traveling public is returning with a vengeance! Hopefully, this trend will continue!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tosteve1 said:

Just returned from the UK to the US today. Very relieved no testing required today although I did waste $100 to purchase tests before heading overseas. Airports and train stations are jammed. Masks are rare. The traveling public is returning with a vengeance! Hopefully, this trend will continue!

Welcome home! Missed it by a day - we came back yesterday. So we did get to use the last 2 kits that we had bought in December.

And we saw the same in Italy - crowds, not many masks to be seen. Though in general, the rule requiring masks on public transport was being obeyed.

Staying put for the summer, and we will let everyone else brave the crowds in Europe.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tosteve1 said:

Appreciate these above helpful updates and follow-ups from J.P. and tosteve1.  Sounds challenging in Europe!!  No plans for us to head there this summer or fall.     

From the Wall Street Journal yesterday morning, they had this headline: Cruise-Line Pricing Is Lost at Sea" with this sub-headline: "Cruise companies are lowering prices even as expenses swell.

Here are the story highlights:Even if you vowed never to cruise again after Covid-19, there might just be a price to tempt you. Mass-market cruise lines need you to bite.  Amid sky-high hotel prices, the best deals in lodging this summer are at sea level—literally. Cruise-review site Cruise Critic noted pricing for summer cruises is currently as low as it has been since the sector’s 2021 restart. The current average cost of a five-night Caribbean cruise begins at $100 a day, according to Cruise Critic, including lodging, meals and entertainment. That is about 10% less than where the average daily rate for a U.S. midscale hotel was tracking last month, according to hotel data provider STR.  As Covid restrictions relax, cruise lines have been removing occupancy limits on ships and appear to be discounting to fill summer voyages. After an abysmal two years of losses and mounting debt, Royal Caribbean, Carnival  and Norwegian are forecasting a return to profitability on the basis of adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization at some point this year. Those targets could certainly use the boost of more passengers in the face of rising costs.

Here is more from this story: "Labor and fuel costs, which most cruise lines don’t hedge against, are soaring and comprise significant portions of cruise operators’ overall expenses. UBS analyst Robin Farley estimates Carnival’s labor and fuel typically account for around 29% and 20%, respectively, of ship operating costs, excluding sales and general and administrative expenses.  Wall Street is forecasting a significant rise in occupancy rates across all major cruise companies this year.  Royal Caribbean is expected to boost occupancy from less than 60% as of March 31 to nearly 100% by the end of December."

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cruise-line-pricing-is-lost-at-sea-11655038802?page=1

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 44,628 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

I receive about 8 emails a day, some sounding increasingly desperate, begging me to book a cruise. I sail on Whisper on the 24th, but until ALL restrictions are toast, that will be the very last time. After over 30 cruises in 25 years, I just cannot feel the excitement any more. Just severe anxiety.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Have you fed that back to SS (via your TA?) Clodia, and if so what did they say?

I hope they work harder to get rid of pre-cruise testing.

I have, but really I don't think they want to know. Protocols rule, even if they drive away seasoned, experienced cruisers who were prepared to spend a lot of money with SS.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Clodia said:

I receive about 8 emails a day, some sounding increasingly desperate, begging me to book a cruise. I sail on Whisper on the 24th, but until ALL restrictions are toast, that will be the very last time. After over 30 cruises in 25 years, I just cannot feel the excitement any more. Just severe anxiety.

I can feel your frustration.  Mrs Banjo and I are of the same mind.  The only difference being we have not cruised since Jan of 2020 when this all started.  We are ready to go, just as soon as our anxiety can be managed with some consistency in expectations of rules and restrictions.  Until then, sadly, no cruising for us.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Clodia said:

Maybe because we’ve only had ten cruises on Silversea since 2012 we have not been contacted by phone or email all that much.  I did get a call a couple of months ago from a Silversea in-house consultant saying he had been assigned as our point of contact.  He did follow up with an email with his contact information.  Other than that I don’t recall a bunch of emails or other contacts.  Except for our very first Silversea cruise in 2012 which we booked directly with Silversea all of our subsequent cruises have been booked with an external travel agency so that may have a bearing.  Mostly because of Covid and a few work related restrictions we haven’t cruised, much less vacationed outside of our home, since early 2020.

Edited by Randyk47

22 hours ago, Clodia said:

Agreed.  I wrote this in another thread we just finished a fantastic land based vacation to Austria & Germany.  Luxury hotels, Michelin starred restaurants, great service, less $$ than SS, NO tests, NO masks, NO Quarantines.

When the restrictions are removed we start booking cruises again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Maybe because we’ve only had ten cruises on Silversea since 2012 we have not been contacted by phone or email all that much.  I did get a call a couple of months ago from a Silversea in-house consultant saying he had been assigned as our point of contact.  He did follow up with an email with his contact information.  Other than that I don’t recall a bunch of emails or other contacts.  Except for our very first Silversea cruise in 2012 which we booked directly with Silversea all of our subsequent cruises have been booked with an external travel agency so that may have a bearing.  Mostly because of Covid and a few work related restrictions we haven’t cruised, much less vacationed outside of our home, since early 2020.

Hi Randy, I am with you on this.......I don't get anything close to 8 emails per day? WOW......I never receive multiple emails per day and the only phone calls are the ones I make to the rep who always helps me. I don't receive anything with anyone trying to sell me anything. 

• Like 1

We have done two post-covid cruises so far, and have two booked for next year. Once we got used to the new rules, which ended up being less onerous than expected, we had a great time on both. One was SS (last November) and one Ponant (September).

We also have done two land trips to Europe this year, and agree, the rules are more relaxed. That's good and bad. After hanging out with the unmasked crowds in Milan and Lake Como last week, I was surprised that we didn't catch something. Somehow a small SS cruise ship full of masked passengers felt safer. YMMV.

I'm sure our perspective would be different if we had tested positive. And I understand that some might be unwilling to take that chance. Just wanted to offer a different POV. I'm very glad we went when we did.

In our experience the biggest source of anxiety was the preflight testing to return home. Now that this is gone, I suspect that the numbers will explode.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Agreed.  I wrote this in another thread we just finished a fantastic land based vacation to Austria & Germany.  Luxury hotels, Michelin starred restaurants, great service, less $$ than SS, NO tests, NO masks, NO Quarantines.

When the restrictions are removed we start booking cruises again.

Germany must be the most underrated tourist destination in Europe! 

Mind you, we lived there for 11 years so might be a little biased. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Mind you, we lived there for 11 years so might be a little biased. 

We've been to most of Europe many times, Italy 7-8 England 4 (50 on business) Spain/France 3/4  etc so we decided to go to Salzburg & Germany.   We had a great time.  I'm a bit of a WW2 buff and found Berlin very interesting, had a great private guide.  Very cool city, amazing transition since the wall went down.  I wouldn't rank the trip in the top quartile but fun.  Great hotels, restaurants and service.  Austrians & Germans were exceptionally friendly.

Edited by RetiredandTravel

27 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Even better, when Audi was doing the European delivery program! Those were some great trips.

27 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

We have had lovely holidays in Germany - including Christmas Market river cruises. This November we are on the Rhine - our 3rd such cruise.

Funny probably 70% of the Delta biz class from ATL>MUC were couples 60+ going on various (not a group) German river cruises.   A big post Covid party, stewardesses were great.

On 6/13/2022 at 10:34 AM, Clodia said:

I sail on Whisper on the 24th, but until ALL restrictions are toast, that will be the very last time. After over 30 cruises in 25 years, I just cannot feel the excitement any more.

On 6/13/2022 at 10:39 AM, worldtraveller99 said:

Have you fed that back to SS (via your TA?) Clodia, and if so what did they say? I hope they work harder to get rid of pre-cruise testing.

I think J.P. hit on the crux of this issue: the cruise line is caught between people who are cruising because they feel vax requirements and pre-cruise testing enable them to feel as safe as possible about spending prolonged time on a ship, and people who are not cruising because of the testing requirements and the chance of trip interruption with a negative test.

I think the tide has been shifting towards more people wanting no testing, but there are a lot of people who booked in the past year feeling the cruise line would help protect them by maintaining testing requirements. Whichever way a cruise line decides right now will cost them passengers, and they are trying to thread the needle to make cruising feel plausible to the largest number of people.

• Like 1

I guess if they also do away with quarantine, then people will feel happy to cruise, because most people won't get very ill even if they catch COVID. If you are really vulnerable then probably all the tests in the world wouldn't make travelling a good idea, because you can catch diseases when you go on land in strange places. 

• Like 3

On 6/14/2022 at 3:29 PM, cruiseej said:

I think J.P. hit on the crux of this issue: the cruise line is caught between people who are cruising because they feel vax requirements and pre-cruise testing enable them to feel as safe as possible about spending prolonged time on a ship, and people who are not cruising because of the testing requirements and the chance of trip interruption with a negative test.   I think the tide has been shifting towards more people wanting no testing, but there are a lot of people who booked in the past year feeling the cruise line would help protect them by maintaining testing requirements. Whichever way a cruise line decides right now will cost them passengers, and they are trying to thread the needle to make cruising feel plausible to the largest number of people.

Appreciate ALL of these great comments and follow-ups, including above by our Pennsylvania neighbor in the suburbs north of Philadelphia.  YES, agree, lots of continued "trade-offs" and questions as to what restrictions and standards are to be applied and required for the future of cruising.  Right?  

Next, here is an interesting story as to how cruising is evolving as finances continue to be a challenge for cruise lines in getting back to some type of long-term "normal".  The Asian/China market continues to be a huge "Mystery Meat" question for cruise executives to consider in southern Florida.   

From MSN News and former USA Today travel/cruise expert writer Gene Sloan this morning, they had this headline: From record-setter to rubbish: World’s biggest cruise ship to be scrapped without sailing a single voyage with these highlights:An unnamed cruise vessel of nearly record proportions that has been under construction in Germany for an Asia-focused cruise line will be scrapped before sailing a single voyage, according to German shipping magazine anBord.  This week anBord reported that the liquidators for the bankrupt MV Werften shipyard in Warnemunde, Germany, will sell the bulk of the half-finished ship for scrap and attempt to resell some of its systems and engines.  The vessel, often referred to as Global Dream 2, and a sister ship that had also been under construction at the MV Werften shipyard were designed to hold more than 9,000 passengers, making them the world’s largest cruise ships by passenger capacity.  Both of the ships were on order for Asia-based Dream Cruises, which collapsed along with its parent company Genting Hong Kong earlier this year after its revenues plummeted due to COVID-19 pandemic-related shutdowns.  The MV Werften shipyard was also part of Genting Hong Kong, as was Asia-based line Star Cruises and luxury line Crystal Cruises. Like Dream Cruises, the latter two lines are being liquidated.

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/from-record-setter-to-rubbish-world-s-biggest-cruise-ship-to-be-scrapped-without-sailing-a-single-voyage/ar-AAYBCNr?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 32,357 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• Thanks 1

As potential travelers consider future cruises, the economy with higher interest rates, inflation and a looming recession is on their minds.  What do consumer do and how do they spend their money??  Might it means lower costs for future cruises and/or more financial challenges for company executives jungling higher fuel costs, attracting staff, paying off billions of dollars in debt, etc.?  

From the Washington Post as their lead story this morning, they had this headline: Americans are starting to pull back on travel and restaurants" with this sub-headline: "In a worrisome sign for the economy, U.S. consumers are beginning to spend less on services.

Here are some of their story highlights: “More Americans are beginning to hold off on booking flights, getting haircuts, building backyard pools and replacing old leaky roofs — in some of the new signs that the consumer engine of U.S. economic growth could be losing steam. Over the past several weeks, households had already cut back on big-ticket purchase because of soaring prices, but in a worrisome twist, data suggests consumers are also beginning to tap the brakes on dining out, vacation plans and even routine services like manicures, hair cuts and home-cleaning appointments. Business owners around the country say rising prices, dwindling savings and concerns of a souring economy are taking a toll on household spending decisions.  Consumer spending, which makes up more than two-thirds of the U.S. economy, has held strong through April even with inflation at historic highs. But there are growing signs that the spending streak could be ending.”

Here is more behind this analysis: "Retail sales slowed last month for the first time this year, driven by a 4 percent drop in car sales. U.S. flight bookings dipped 2.3 percent in May from a month earlier, according to data from Adobe Analytics. And both high- and low-income Americans have begun pulling back, particularly on services, in the past four to six weeks, according to an analysis of credit card data by Barclays. The slowdown in spending is now concentrated in services, not goods, the bank found in a new analysis of credit card data.  Spending on services like travel and restaurants, which was growing more than 30 percent from 2021 rates this year, has now slowed to half that pace, according to the Barclays analysis."

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/06/18/consumer-spending-slowing-economy/

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 31,327 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• Thanks 1