SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

I hope he stays home and doesn't travel.  But that's just me.

The President is not staying at home.  He's flying.  By helicopter.  To Walter Reed Medical Center hospital.  Don't know if that is good or bad.  There are many varied opinions.  

From the Wall Street Journal 's sister publication of Barron's, they had later this afternoon a headline of: “Trump’s Covid Case Throws More Hardship on Cruise Stocks” with these highlights: “While airline operators see pandemic relief coming their way from Congress, the news keeps getting worse for cruise lines.  President Donald Trump’s positive Covid-19 test Friday is just the latest development that may add pressure on the industry, especially if rising cases overall mean a return to lockdowns and travel restrictions. A meeting scheduled for Friday at the White House between cruise executives and Vice President Mike Pence was canceled, CNBC reported.  'The president getting Covid is a reality check for regular people,' says Lindsey Bell, chief investment strategist for Ally Invest. 'And that means pressure on travel stocks.'  While experienced cruise-goers may not be a hard sell once things do return to normal—whenever that is—new cruisers may be an obstacle to growth. As coronavirus cases continue to explode, along with the start of flu season, the idea of booking a cruise seems even more remote. What’s more, the industry’s recent health and safety recommendations call for sharply reduced capacity that would cap growth too.”

Full story at:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/trumps-covid-case-throws-more-hardship-on-cruise-stocks-51601669282?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D90296431485580256592070686107298687474|MCORGID%3DCB68E4BA55144CAA0A4C98A5%40AdobeOrg|TS%3D1601677043

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 47,882 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

The President is not staying at home.  He's flying.  By helicopter.  To Walter Reed Medical Center hospital.  Don't know if that is good or bad.  There are many varied opinions.  

From the Wall Street Journal 's sister publication of Barron's, they had later this afternoon a headline of: “Trump’s Covid Case Throws More Hardship on Cruise Stocks” with these highlights: “While airline operators see pandemic relief coming their way from Congress, the news keeps getting worse for cruise lines.  President Donald Trump’s positive Covid-19 test Friday is just the latest development that may add pressure on the industry, especially if rising cases overall mean a return to lockdowns and travel restrictions. A meeting scheduled for Friday at the White House between cruise executives and Vice President Mike Pence was canceled, CNBC reported.  'The president getting Covid is a reality check for regular people,' says Lindsey Bell, chief investment strategist for Ally Invest. 'And that means pressure on travel stocks.'  While experienced cruise-goers may not be a hard sell once things do return to normal—whenever that is—new cruisers may be an obstacle to growth. As coronavirus cases continue to explode, along with the start of flu season, the idea of booking a cruise seems even more remote. What’s more, the industry’s recent health and safety recommendations call for sharply reduced capacity that would cap growth too.”

Full story at:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/trumps-covid-case-throws-more-hardship-on-cruise-stocks-51601669282?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D90296431485580256592070686107298687474|MCORGID%3DCB68E4BA55144CAA0A4C98A5%40AdobeOrg|TS%3D1601677043

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 47,882 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Gee Terry when I posted he wasn't going to Walter reed.

So much we do not know.

Hope the President recovers quickly.

• Like 1

Just my opinion - it is the research work being done on a vaccine + the improvements doctors, nurses and researchers are making in treating people who have been infected, that most affect the timeline for a return to travel.  I wish I could find a hilltop from which to cheer on the work of these people, both in public and private enterprises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't typically venture over to the Celebrity Cruise Critic Board, but the live cruise reports from a passenger on a current Mediterranean cruise on the German cruise line Mein Schiff is quite well done, if you care to read about how they are doing with the limitations posed by COVID-19. 

I find it somewhat reassuring to read a first-hand account of a cruise that is watching everything carefully yet doesn't feel too constrained from the cruising experience we all crave.

One cruise does not define the future of all cruising, by any means, but it's an interesting thread to read if you have nowhere to go. 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Just my opinion - it is the research work being done on a vaccine + the improvements doctors, nurses and researchers are making in treating people who have been infected, that most affect the timeline for a return to travel.  I wish I could find a hilltop from which to cheer on the work of these people, both in public and private enterprises.

Leaving the work on a vaccine aside, the work being done by doctors, and nurses and other front line personnel is nothing short of heroic.  I have seen first hand their devotion to their patients, those whose lives the literally hold in their hands.  It totally reaffirms my faith in the humanity of most people.  What makes me so angry is that the staff in nursing homes, home health aides and others, in the US at least, are paid so little to put their lives at risk every day.  They make slightly more than the minimum wage, about what workers at your local Walmart receive.  I fear the pandemic is going to be with us for a while.  In this time among the measures we can take,  is to address the issue of paying front line people the true value of the service they provide commensurate with lives they are saving.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chrism23 said:

Leaving the work on a vaccine aside, the work being done by doctors, and nurses and other front line personnel is nothing short of heroic.  I have seen first hand their devotion to their patients, those whose lives the literally hold in their hands.  It totally reaffirms my faith in the humanity of most people. 

Agree with above.  Most in our health system are doing great work, plus those working to keep us supplied, fed, etc.  Very unusual times and challenges!!

From the Business Insider news source this morning, they had this headline: “Trump's COVID-19 diagnosis could indirectly impact the cruise industry, an analyst says” with these highlights: “As the news of President Trump's positive COVID-19 test slumped the market early on Friday, industry analysts predict cruising could also be negatively impacted.  Although experts don't predict any major impact on travel, the possibility of a new presidential administration could affect the cruise industry. Plus, any event that spotlights COVID-19 risks could deal a blow to cruise lines' reopening plans — impacting both customer demand and company willingness to restart operations, Macquarie analyst Paul Golding told Business Insider.  'Any increased visibility around the seriousness and pervasiveness of COVID, whether it's a second wave or politically related … likely [has] a negative impact in our view on cruising demand and supply,' Golding said, adding that 'we would expect that to potentially alter the timeline for full resumption for the cruise lines.'  Additionally, anything that increases the likelihood of a new administration in January — including increased visibility of infection rates or another COVID-19 wave — could negatively impact cruise supply and demand, Golding said. A new administration would likely be less sympathetic toward cruise lines reopening without a vaccine, Golding said, and be 'more keen to follow doctor, scientist, [and] expert recommendation.'  

Here is another interesting angle as to what is happening with the cruise business from the Reuters newswire this morning.  They had this headline: “Cruise ship dismantling booms in Turkey after pandemic scuttles sector” with these highlights: “Business is booming at a sea dock in western Turkey, where five hulking cruise ships are being dismantled for scrap metal sales after the COVID-19 pandemic all but destroyed the industry, the head of a ship recyclers' group said on Friday.  On Friday, dozens of workers stripped walls, windows, floors and railings from several vessels in the dock in Aliaga, a town 45 km north of Izmir on Turkey's west coast. Three more ships are set to join those already being dismantled.  Before the pandemic, Turkey's ship-breaking yards typically handled cargo and container ships, Kamil Onal, chairman of a ship recycling industrialists' association, told Reuters. 'But after the pandemic, cruise ships changed course towards Aliaga in a very significant way,' he said of the town. 'There was growth in the sector due to the crisis. When the ships couldn't find work, they turned to dismantling.'  Onal said some 2,500 people worked at the yard in teams that take around six months to dismantle a full passenger ship. The vessels arrived from Britain, Italy and the United States.”

Full stories at:

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-covid-19-corovanirus-diagnosis-could-impact-cruise-travel-analyst-2020-10

https://news.yahoo.com/cruise-ship-dismantling-booms-turkey-135016087.html

Dubrovnik!  Nice visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic location. Over 47,492 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Edited by TLCOhio

From the New York Times Travel Section for this weekend, they have this headline: Now at the Boarding Gate: Coronavirus Tests with this sub-head: "Airlines and airports are offering the tests as a way for travelers whose results are negative to avoid quarantines at their destinations, and to revive travelers’ faith in flying."

Here are some of their story highlights: “American Airlines said on Tuesday that it will offer coronavirus tests to passengers, joining United Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines and JetBlue Airways in rolling out preflight testing. Tampa International Airport also said it will offer tests. The tests, which range from rapid tests at the airport that return results in minutes to tests that take a few days, allow travelers whose results are negative to skip or minimize quarantine restrictions in various destinations.  The new tests come as the number of people flying both domestically and internationally continues to be at record lows (the Transportation Security Administration screened 568,688 people on Tuesday compared to 1,998,980 on the same date a year ago). Testing at airports, it is hoped, will assuage people who are worried about the safety of flying amid the ongoing pandemic.  American initially will test people traveling to international destinations. Testing for travel to Jamaica will be for residents flying to their home country; if a passenger tests negative for the virus, the 14-day quarantine currently in place for returning residents would be waived. The airline is also working to start testing for visitors and residents going to the Bahamas and other countries in the Caribbean. Beginning in mid-October, the airline will offer at-home testing that can be done via video call with a medical professional.”

YES, in order to restore confidence so that cruising can resume involves making the task of flying to your boarding (and getting back home) seem safer and more security.  Here added background from this NYT reporting: "The tests are not mandatory, and range in price from about $50 to $250. Airlines and airports are desperate to have passengers flying again. The aviation sector faces about 40,000 job losses this week, when the financial relief that was part of the CARES stimulus package ends Oct. 1.  Carlos Ozores, the aviation and Americas consulting lead at ICF, an airline and aviation consultant, said that the move to offer testing won’t lead to a full recovery in air travel, but will likely gain traction in the coming months, especially for international travel."

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/30/travel/coronavirus-airlines-test.html

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 36,455 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

• Thanks 1

I found Cruiseej’s link to the Celebrity site to be extremely interesting...both hopeful and distressing. I doubt if many, or any SS sailors would want to go on a huge all German Ship, or have to follow all the strictest Covid-19 protective protocols. But they are certainly trying to sail safely, and they deserve a lot of credit.

This thread contains a great deal of information....most.very specific with a lot of photographs. Take a look at the ship...the decor looks strange and disorganized...both over decorated and just plain weird....to me, and I’m aware that we all have different tastes.

I miss MY Silversea...two Cruises cancelled, the 2020 Holiday Moon Cruise sure to be cancelled next..two more 2021 booked and looking at one more in 2022.  Hope really does spring eternal! I want to get back to sea. I want to see so many long time friends on the wonderful crew. I want sail with so many fellow passenger friends I have made over more than 20 years. I know I am not alone in wanting this awful situation to be behind us!

• Like 6

14 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

From the New York Times Travel Section for this weekend, they have this headline: Now at the Boarding Gate: Coronavirus Tests with this sub-head: "Airlines and airports are offering the tests as a way for travelers whose results are negative to avoid quarantines at their destinations, and to revive travelers’ faith in flying."

Here are some of their story highlights: “American Airlines said on Tuesday that it will offer coronavirus tests to passengers, joining United Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines and JetBlue Airways in rolling out preflight testing. Tampa International Airport also said it will offer tests. The tests, which range from rapid tests at the airport that return results in minutes to tests that take a few days, allow travelers whose results are negative to skip or minimize quarantine restrictions in various destinations.  The new tests come as the number of people flying both domestically and internationally continues to be at record lows (the Transportation Security Administration screened 568,688 people on Tuesday compared to 1,998,980 on the same date a year ago). Testing at airports, it is hoped, will assuage people who are worried about the safety of flying amid the ongoing pandemic.  American initially will test people traveling to international destinations. Testing for travel to Jamaica will be for residents flying to their home country; if a passenger tests negative for the virus, the 14-day quarantine currently in place for returning residents would be waived. The airline is also working to start testing for visitors and residents going to the Bahamas and other countries in the Caribbean. Beginning in mid-October, the airline will offer at-home testing that can be done via video call with a medical professional.”

YES, in order to restore confidence so that cruising can resume involves making the task of flying to your boarding (and getting back home) seem safer and more security.  Here added background from this NYT reporting: "The tests are not mandatory, and range in price from about $50 to $250. Airlines and airports are desperate to have passengers flying again. The aviation sector faces about 40,000 job losses this week, when the financial relief that was part of the CARES stimulus package ends Oct. 1.  Carlos Ozores, the aviation and Americas consulting lead at ICF, an airline and aviation consultant, said that the move to offer testing won’t lead to a full recovery in air travel, but will likely gain traction in the coming months, especially for international travel."

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/30/travel/coronavirus-airlines-test.html

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 36,455 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Interesting information TLCOhio. We have had it reported by news sites here that the rapid tests are not as accurate or reliable as the full ones - they return a higher rate of false negatives. Until these short/rapid tests can be shown to be reliable, the industry is not wise to trust them in my opinion. Coral Expeditions (based in AU with all AU cruise) is soon to start limited cruising again in AU waters. As part of their COVID-19 plan, guests must have a doctor's cert plus recommended self isolate for at least 7 days before, plus check in the day before and a COVID test at that time. 

On 10/4/2020 at 5:59 AM, Aussieflyer said:

Interesting information TLCOhio. We have had it reported by news sites here that the rapid tests are not as accurate or reliable as the full ones - they return a higher rate of false negatives. Until these short/rapid tests can be shown to be reliable, the industry is not wise to trust them in my opinion. Coral Expeditions (based in AU with all AU cruise) is soon to start limited cruising again in AU waters. As part of their COVID-19 plan, guests must have a doctor's cert plus recommended self isolate for at least 7 days before, plus check in the day before and a COVID test at that time. 

Agree above with the excellent comments and follow-up by our Aussie friend that those "rapid test" are not quite as accurate and respected.  From what I have read, they are an "indicator", but not always the final, best word.  These testing questions are still an "evolving" part of the picture where the cruise lines do not have the perfect "TOOLS" to mail out to a traveler a few days prior to flying/boarding . . . and/or . . . to use with 100% accuracy right prior to ship boarding.  Lots of challenges and questions still hanging out there.  

Did enjoy reviewing the details as per Cruiseej’s link to the Celebrity site.  It is extremely interesting!!  For me, the biggest "hit" personally, is the limitation requiring all passengers to only being on cruise line tours.  I understand as to the "WHY" for this limitation.  BUT, it would just be a "downer" for us personally to consider such cruising where our freedom to roam and explore would be so limited.  We have had way too many "GLORY DAYS" in the past on our private tours and/or in doing our own DIY to be willing to sail soon with that type of restriction.  

From MSN News and the former USA Today top travel writer, Gene Sloan, they had this headline: “3 more major cruise lines cancel sailings until at least December with these highlights: “You’ll now have to wait until at least December to take a cruise with Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises or Regent Seven Seas Cruises. The parent company of the three brands, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, on Monday said it would extend its halt to cruise operations through at least Nov. 30. Until today, the company only had canceled sailings through the end of October. The Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings announcement comes just four days after one of the line’s biggest rivals, cruise giant Carnival, canceled most departures through January. Carnival still hopes to operate some sailings in November and December out of just two ports: PortMiami and Port Canaveral. Two other major brands, Princess Cruises and Holland America, already have canceled all or most sailings through Dec. 15.”

Here is more from his reporting: "The Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings announcement comes as COVID-19 case counts in North America — the biggest market for the company — plateau at relatively high levels. The U.S. this month has been recording around 35,000 to 50,000 new coronavirus cases on most days.  The restart to some cruising in Europe came in the wake of a sharp drop in coronavirus case counts across the continent over the summer. But in recent weeks, cases in Europe have begun rising again."

Just sharing the news.  Not trying to either be a blind "cheerleader" and/or be too pessimistic.  Only seeking realism for what has been happening with the Covid, testing, challenges around the world, cruise line planning/needs, etc.  

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/3-more-major-cruise-lines-cancel-sailings-until-at-least-december/ar-BB19IGiX

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 31,099 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Edited by TLCOhio

From Bloomberg News and this below business publication, they had this headline: “Changi airport, world's best, warns of 'daunting' future in raging pandemic with these highlights: “Changi Airport said the impact from the Covid-19 pandemic isn’t abating as officials behind the world’s best airport warned of a 'daunting' period ahead. Passenger traffic for Changi for the fiscal year ended March declined for the first time in more than a decade, as a slump in the last two months of the period wiped out earlier gains, serving as a harbinger of a deeper slump. To brace for 'a prolonged crisis', Changi suspended operations in two terminals to save on operating costs as flights dropped to the lowest levels in its history. 'The battle with Covid-19 has only just begun,' the company said in its annual report. 'The future does appear daunting with the situation showing no signs of abatement.'  "

Here is more:  "According to the International Air Transport Association, 25 million jobs are at risk in airlines and associated businesses such as travel and tourism. A third of the world’s 26,000 passenger jets remain grounded, parked in deserts or lined up in rows along the tarmac, aviation data provider Cirium says. Amid all the gloom in May, Changi was voted the world’s best airport for an eighth consecutive year, according to a ranking by Skytrax. Changi Airport in 2019 opened Jewel, a shopping and entertainment complex with 1.5 million square feet of stores and attractions including a rainforest, hedge maze, and the world’s highest indoor waterfall.”

As detailed above, it is not just the cruise lines that are challenged economically.  It is the airlines, airports, resort/port destinations, etc., are all affected and suffering with less jobs and lower revenue difficulties, etc.  

Full story at:

https://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/world-s-best-changi-airport-warns-of-daunting-future-amid-raging-pandemic-120100300375_1.html

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 30,108 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

From Bloomberg News and this below business publication, they had this headline: “Changi airport, world's best, warns of 'daunting' future in raging pandemic with these highlights: “Changi Airport said the impact from the Covid-19 pandemic isn’t abating as officials behind the world’s best airport warned of a 'daunting' period ahead. Passenger traffic for Changi for the fiscal year ended March declined for the first time in more than a decade, as a slump in the last two months of the period wiped out earlier gains, serving as a harbinger of a deeper slump. To brace for 'a prolonged crisis', Changi suspended operations in two terminals to save on operating costs as flights dropped to the lowest levels in its history. 'The battle with Covid-19 has only just begun,' the company said in its annual report. 'The future does appear daunting with the situation showing no signs of abatement.'  "

Here is more:  "According to the International Air Transport Association, 25 million jobs are at risk in airlines and associated businesses such as travel and tourism. A third of the world’s 26,000 passenger jets remain grounded, parked in deserts or lined up in rows along the tarmac, aviation data provider Cirium says. Amid all the gloom in May, Changi was voted the world’s best airport for an eighth consecutive year, according to a ranking by Skytrax. Changi Airport in 2019 opened Jewel, a shopping and entertainment complex with 1.5 million square feet of stores and attractions including a rainforest, hedge maze, and the world’s highest indoor waterfall.”

As detailed above, it is not just the cruise lines that are challenged economically.  It is the airlines, airports, resort/port destinations, etc., are all affected and suffering with less jobs and lower revenue difficulties, etc.  

Full story at:

https://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/world-s-best-changi-airport-warns-of-daunting-future-amid-raging-pandemic-120100300375_1.html

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 30,108 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Terry,

Thanks for doing such a great job with this thread. So many other threads  have gone so far afield from their original topics, but you’ve really helped keep this one on target. We appreciate your efforts greatly!

And to the thread participants, those of you who have adopted “civil discourse” as a prudent method of communication, thank you too! So now, let’s keep it going, where are we going next, when are we going next, and where-in-the-world are we going next?

Cheers 🍸,

Doc Ruth

Edited by docruth
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, docruth said:

Terry, Thanks for doing such a great job with this thread. So many other threads  have gone so far afield from their original topics, but you’ve really helped keep this one on target. We appreciate your efforts greatly!  And to the thread participants, those of you who have adopted “civil discourse” as a prudent method of communication, thank you too! So now, let’s keep it going, where are we going next, when are we going next, and where-in-the-world are we going next?   Cheers 🍸,

Doc Ruth

Appreciate these above nice comments and this great follow-up.  YES, folks on this thread have  been super good in staying focused on the key, important questions.  PLUS, being very, very "civil" by responding in a super way about these issues that can be emotional at times.  Most of us are "frustrated" in a variety of different ways.  AND, the range of comments, questions, interests, etc., have been excellent, thoughtful, etc.  Keep up the great involvement!! 

From the center of the cruise industry in South Florida, the Miami Herald had this headline late this afternoon: “Cruising is on the ballot in Key West this year. Will voters reject big ships?

Here are some highlights: “Cruising is on the ballot this year in Key West, where voters have a say in how the island city does business with the cruise ship industry. Voters in the Southernmost City are weighing three cruise-related referendums. If passed and enacted, they would dramatically cut the number of cruise ships allowed to dock and would derail the business plans of the world’s largest cruise companies, already battered by the COVID-19 pandemic. On the ballot: Should the city cap the number of daily cruise ship visitors at 1,300? Should the city prohibit ships with a capacity of more than 1,300 people from docking? And should the city give priority to ships with 'the best environmental and health records'?”

Here are more details and background: "On one side is a group of local activists who want the city to turn away mega ships they say are responsible for spreading COVID-19 and environmental damage. On the other side is the industry itself and local business owners who sell goods to cruise passengers during the few hours they spend on land.  The referendums have survived legal challenges from local harbor pilots and also the Walsh family of Delray Beach, who owns Pier B, the only private cruise pier in Florida, one of three cruise piers in Key West. Cruise ships brought nearly a million passengers to Key West in 2019, accounting for about half of all tourists to visit the island."

This is not the biggest and/or only issue facing the cruise lines and a return to "normal cruising".  BUT, it is an interesting little "flash point" in considering that future path forward.

Full story at:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article246122315.html

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 18,862 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Edited by TLCOhio

From the former top USA Today travel expert, his skilled reporting has early evening this headline: “Top cruise line executive: We may never bring back the buffet” with these highlights: “Could the cruise ship buffet be on the way out forever?  It seems almost unthinkable, given its hallowed place in cruising over the years. But one of cruising’s most respected leaders is mulling over the possibility.  'The pandemic put a large bead on certain things,' AmaWaterways co-founder and president Rudi Schreiner said Monday during a virtual press conference. 'Right now my entire thinking is about going totally away from buffet servings.'  Cruise lines won’t be operating buffets as we know them for quite some time, thanks to the new coronavirus, Schreiner noted. Most major cruise lines already have announced plans to temporarily stop self-service buffet dining on ships as a safety measure. But even after the new coronavirus is in the rearview mirror, Schreiner says there’s an argument for not bringing buffets back — at least on higher-end ships such as those operated by AmaWaterways.  Schreiner is widely considered one of the visionaries behind the growth of river cruising over the past 30 years, and he often has predicted future trends in cruising.”

Full story at:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-line-buffets-may-never-return/

Completed last summer Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

From a trade publication today, they had this headline: “Royal Caribbean Chairman Says Test Sailings Will Take Place First with these highlights from CEO Richard Fain: “The key is on the science according to the Fain and the implementing new health measures are going to be the focus on cruise ships resuming operations. Royal Caribbean intends to make cruise ships a bubble that will actually provide less risk of getting infected than in communities on land."

Here is more of their reporting: "There is set to be 100% testing of guests and crew which will be the same with other CLIA member lines. Fain said that cruise lines were set to meet with the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) and the COVID-10 task force on Friday. With President Trump, the first lady, and staff all testing positive for the virus days ago, that meeting was postponed.  Before Royal Caribbean begins resuming operations Fain has said that some non-revenue test sailings will take place first to help train the crew and validate new health protocols. The test sailings will be evaluated before anything is set in stone but once Royal Caribbean ships do start sailing with passengers they will be shorter cruises with limited destinations and controlled shore excursions.”

These are interesting and very fascinating details offering a "preview" as to what might come first from Royal Caribbean (and probably for Silversea).  The WHEN is still the big question.  But, clearly the re-opening is getting closer and it will be a slow ramping-up process per these comments from the big RCCL boss.  

Note the word/description for a cruise being a safety "BUBBLE"??  Sounds very promising and good!  BUT, from my perspective, before I can get to that safety of being in a supposedly protective, sealed ship "bubble", I will have to go to the airport, get on a potential flight of many hours on a crowded plane, then have other travel and accommodations before I would be able to board the hopefully "productive shield" of a cruse ship.  Then, I will have to get off of the ship and go through the risks with land, airport, airline, etc., again?  

Will other past customers raise similar questions or concerns about whether or not the overall process/package for future cruising will be . . . only a partial safety shield . . . OR . . .  a comprehensively-protected "bubble"?

Full story at:

https://www.cruisehive.com/royal-caribbean-chairman-says-test-sailings-will-take-place-first/42398

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 252,151 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

I'm going to miss the breakfast buffet in La Terrazza, but I'd cruise without it.

If the food is there but they serve it to you rather than you serve yourself would that be acceptable? We had our first Oceania cruise late last year and that's what they do.

• Like 1

I love the luncheon buffet in La Terrazza; but if they place your choices on a plate, that would be fine.  My concern is not being able to dine with newly acquired friends we meet onboard...hope it's untrue that we can only dine with pre-registered cruising companions.

• Like 1

As Terry says - the number of people travelling through airports possibly overrides the bubble of the ship. And we see crowds of younger people gathering outside pubs in England as the Government has initiated (for now!) a 10.00pm lock out time! So to say you cannot share a dining table with people you meet on the ship - already said to be a "bubble" - that is unlikely to give you the virus!

Thanks again Terry  for the. Helpful  regular updates from the USA.The restrictions that are going to be necessary to resume safe cruising will sadly put off our return to Silversea cruising enjoyment..The formalities such as queues to board,extra form filling,

no buffet dining ,no theatre performances,no swimming pool on deck,restaurant reservation only, no library, not to mention Trivia ,limited numbers in Bars and lounges all sound like too much hassle and little enjoyment.Unless Silversea return fully to the normal service of quality and choice which I feel is unlikely in the foreseeable future I feel we have already completed our last cruise after 22 super enjoyable years with Silversea.Hope and pray I am too pessimistic and normality returns ASAP in complete safety and without restrictions!!

19 hours ago, Bluebelle14 said:

I love the luncheon buffet in La Terrazza; but if they place your choices on a plate, that would be fine.  My concern is not being able to dine with newly acquired friends we meet onboard...hope it's untrue that we can only dine with pre-registered cruising companions.

Good questions and comments regarding those La Terrazza potential operations at the busy breakfast and lunch times.  For us, we have liked that option with Silversea as many times our schedules are busy and the speed/efficiency there can be needed and of value.  Will the staff serve us in place of the self-service process??  Can more glass screening provide enough protection to lessen Covid-19 worries?  Many questions!!??  

From the Miami Herald in the past hour they had this headline: Royal Caribbean cancels cruises until December, likely to start with ‘test cruises’ with these highlights: “Royal Caribbean Group won’t resume U.S. cruises until at least December, the company announced Tuesday. Cruises on its four brands — Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara and Silversea — are canceled through Nov. 30 worldwide except for cruises from Hong Kong, which are on sale for November.  Carnival Cruise Line canceled all U.S. cruises for November and December except for those that will leave from PortMiami and Port Canaveral, which are on track to restart Nov. 1. Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, Disney Cruise Line and Virgin Voyages are selling cruises for December. MSC Cruises continues to sell cruises for November.  At the SeaTrade Cruise industry conference on Tuesday, Royal Caribbean Group CEO Richard Fain said he is optimistic that cruises in the U.S. will resume this year. The company will likely restart with what he called “test cruises” and then build up slowly to short cruises, he said.”

Full story at:

https://www.miamiherald.com/article246256615.html

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 240,593 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I was just notified that Celebrity is cancelling their 2020-21 Australia/Asia cruises. We were scheduled Auckland to Sydney in January 2021 on the Eclipse.  In Sydney we were scheduled to board the Muse to Hong Kong. I anticipate that the Silversea cruise will be canceled soon as well. We rescheduled the Muse for 2022 believing this would happen.