Uk14 day quarantine

On 5/11/2020 at 1:36 PM, bigeck said:

They say quarantine but I believe it's self isolating. Should start at the end of the month

In the US, the state of Hawaii requires a 14 day quarantine. If you are a visitor, you may not leave your hotel room for 14 days for any reason. If you are caught outside your room, you are arrested and put on the next flight back home. 

8 minutes ago, irzero said:

This is pretty stupid because it assumes you are more likely to catch the virus in your destination than if you were still at home.

If the country you visit has the same or less R value then it's no different than going to the shops or work in your home country.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

It is the other way round. It is the spreading not the catching that concerns them.  

On 5/11/2020 at 7:08 PM, bigeck said:

I think that's gone. Amsterdam isn't allowing flights yet.

My son is due home from work in Norway. He usually flies through Amsterdam but no go this time. He is going to stay at work instead of self isolating and then doing 14 days quarantine when he goes back

I flew into Amsterdam last Wednesday from Central Asia and then caught a flight to Aberdeen the same day. It’s exceedingly quiet but flights are still operating.

14 hours ago, Digjharper said:

I flew into Amsterdam last Wednesday from Central Asia and then caught a flight to Aberdeen the same day. It’s exceedingly quiet but flights are still operating.

When my son went to work in Alesund,  I had to take him to Aberdeen. That was at the start of Covid.

He went Klm Aberdeen to Amsterdam then a small Norwegian company Wideroe to Bergan then up to Alesund. 

He was due home on Sunday, but no flights suitable. He would be able to get to Amsterdam on Monday but as they have no one in quarantine at the moment to take over, he's staying on.

He's glad as everything in Norway is open. Golf, shops, restaurants and hairdressers. He had to pay £40 for a haircut though

So how does the 14 days quarantine work?

If we have a Uk flight from Glasgow to Southhampton and going from Southhampton cruising Spain and France RCI cruise - yep still trying to be optimistic that we are going - do we still have to do 14 days quarantine when we come back home even if internal flights? Do you have to quarantine 14 days prior too?

I really do think this quarantine will make it impossible to travel and the travel/tourism industry will be destroyed. I mean who is going to be able to get 4 or 6 weeks off to go on a 2 week holiday.

5 hours ago, fandash said:

If we have a Uk flight from Glasgow to Southhampton and going from Southhampton cruising Spain and France RCI cruise - yep still trying to be optimistic that we are going - do we still have to do 14 days quarantine when we come back home even if internal flights? Do you have to quarantine 14 days prior too?

I really do think this quarantine will make it impossible to travel and the travel/tourism industry will be destroyed. I mean who is going to be able to get 4 or 6 weeks off to go on a 2 week holiday.

Flights will not start until the self isolating law is removed. It hasn't started yet but should be announced soon.

I think this has a long way to go before we think about holidays and cruising

1 hour ago, dutchclogs said:

Is there any confirmation of when this will come in force?  @fandash I'm not aware that quarantine would be applicable for Scotland/England travel only on reentry to UK?

They said before the end of the month. As in previous posts, it's self isolating and not quarantine

5 hours ago, fandash said:

In short yes.  As its currently described you would need to quarantine for 14 days when you got back as you will have travelled to Spain.  Not France as we have an agreement in place with France where we have agreed not to get the virus when there and not to pass it on to French people.  We don't as yet have an agreement with Spain not to pass it on.  You won't need to quarantine for 14 days prior to travel but you may not be allowed to enter Spain without quarantining there for 14 days after you arrive.

Simple really.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

In short yes.  As its currently described you would need to quarantine for 14 days when you got back as you will have travelled to Spain.  Not France as we have an agreement in place with France where we have agreed not to get the virus when there and not to pass it on to French people.  We don't as yet have an agreement with Spain not to pass it on.  You won't need to quarantine for 14 days prior to travel but you may not be allowed to enter Spain without quarantining there for 14 days after you arrive.

Simple really.

It's widely reported today that France is now NOT excluded and will be subject to the same restrictions, thank goodness. They really hadn't thought that one through (much like most of the stuff they've done so far 🙄)

7 minutes ago, Bobal said:

It's widely reported today that France is now NOT excluded and will be subject to the same restrictions, thank goodness. They really hadn't thought that one through (much like most of the stuff they've done so far 🙄)

Does that mean we have no longer agreed not to pass on the virus?  Whatever happened to the Auld Alliance?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, irzero said:

Travelling on the train or bus is just as likely to infect you as going on a plane or cruise now.

Don’t know about that.... hardly anybody on cruise ships and airplanes these days so the data is a bit scant.

10 hours ago, fandash said:

If there are cruise ships sailing, then the quarantine/self isolating will be over.

Edited by Digjharper
  • Like 1

UK Cruisers would be ok, this only applies to air travel at the moment so they wouldn't even need to quarantine on arrival back into Southampton. It would be people flying into the UK for a cruise out of the country that would have the problem when their flights arrive.

And yes, apparently the France agreement never went ahead.

My daughter can’t even get through this week to BA to get back to London. When she did  get thru in the past, the flights were later cancelled. I guess this quarantine isn’t going to help the airlines much in getting more business...so they won’t be adding more flights.

Are they giving any indication how long this will last?

10 hours ago, bigeck said:

Thing is, the borders into UK are closed unless it's classed as essential travel

The airline I work for is starting up daily flights to a handful of cities in Europe, Australia, Canada  and Chicago  including Heathrow from 21st May 

Edited by sgmn

45 minutes ago, sgmn said:

The airline I work for is starting up daily flights to a handful of cities in Europe, Australia, Canada  and Chicago  including Heathrow from 21st May 

That's good to know. It's a start.

I'm booked on Anthem Ta in November but flights was also a problem. Looking more promising now

In practice, I can't see how this could possibly be enforced. 

I'm in Florida and our Governor had imposed the 14 day quarantine for visitors from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Louisiana.  They can't possibly follow you around to see if you are complying.  Some are coming by air, some by sea and some driving in and staying at hotels, with relatives and at their own secondary residences.  Really, how do police the 14-day rule? 

Reliance on the honor system is the only way and hope that rules won't be broken.  I hope it works in the UK and am happy your PM, Boris Johnson survived Covid-19.  Our Miami Mayor also had it and survived.  Let's all hope for the best!

My DH who works in an industry directly linked to the airlines says things have already started to get busier since UK lockdown was relaxed. 

So a cautious positive but we are a long way off flights back to anywhere near normal levels for a while yet.

Edited by livylotte

7 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

In practice, I can't see how this could possibly be enforced. 

I'm in Florida and our Governor had imposed the 14 day quarantine   Really, how do police the 14-day rule? 

Reliance on the honor system is the only way 

I admit its difficult for visitors. I guess you have to prove an address for 14 days and local police can check up on you. Are hotels open now? 

My work colleague who is Hungarian but works in UK and is furloughed, has just gone to Hungary to stay with family. On arrival she was given a big red sticker to put on door and is expecting to be checked up by local police. She will have another 14 days when she comes back to UK. 

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

I admit its difficult for visitors. I guess you have to prove an address for 14 days and local police can check up on you. Are hotels open now? 

My work colleague who is Hungarian but works in UK and is furloughed, has just gone to Hungary to stay with family. On arrival she was given a big red sticker to put on door and is expecting to be checked up by local police. She will have another 14 days when she comes back to UK. 

Some hotels open for essential workers only

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

In Florida most hotels have been open.  I was in Vero Beach last weekend and hotels and beaches are open.  Miami Dade and Broward County hotels are just starting to open.  Miami Beach opens after Memorial Day.  The Florida Keys are lifting their restrictions shortly as well. 

The 14 day quarantine follow-up is just not possible in Florida or in other US States.  The States that did try to stop visitors from coming in at road blocks got in hot water and stopped.  Due to privacy, civil rights laws and lack of man power this type of surveillance does not work here.   All they can do is request that people self quarantine for 14 days and issue information at certain points of entry but they don't and can't put stickers on doors and check up on people -- impossible to do here in the US. Too big of a country and freedom prevails which makes it a double edged sword when trying to contain the virus. 

Edited by livingonthebeach

On 5/13/2020 at 12:40 AM, BirdTravels said:

In the US, the state of Hawaii requires a 14 day quarantine. If you are a visitor, you may not leave your hotel room for 14 days for any reason. If you are caught outside your room, you are arrested and put on the next flight back home. 

What about visitors staying in homes and secondary residences?  How do you obtain supplies and groceries?  Are police standing outside doors to make sure no one leaves?  I guess being an island State allows for more surveillance but I just don't see how logistically they can enforce this.  Reliance on the honor system is the extent of what is being done on the mainland.