Wearing a mask

Bawbob

1 hour ago, DrHemlock said:

There's a frequent poster on this board who likes to go on about deciding for himself how much risk he's willing to take, then acting upon it -- which, in his case, means no mask because he's willing to take the risk of getting COVID.

Well, sir, you may not be worried about the risk to yourself, but that's really not the issue, is it?  If you refuse to wear a mask in close quarters in public, then you are the risk.  Masks (except for the fancy ones we ordinary civilians can't obtain) don't really do much to protect you from others; their purpose is to protect others from you.  

Just like when the surgeon operates on your knee or shoulder: his/her mask isn't protection against your knee germs; they're protection against his/her germs getting into your open wound.  Is that so difficult to understand, and is consideration for the health of others such a disagreeable concept?

I was going to click on the like button but I decided that this would not be enough to express how much I agree with you.

Thus I will say +1000.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Since we have adequately established that the wearing of the mask is about me protecting you, I agree. I faithfully wear my mask when going to the grocery, Pharmancy, liquor store, doctor’s office, or anywhere in a public place. That’s for your protection. I don’t wear my mask, as some do, driving down the road with the windows rolled up, mowing my yard, weed eating, working in my garden out back, or while having an adult beverage sitting on my back porch. No one is anywhere close to me while I’m doing those acts, and if it concerns you, for your own safety, stay far away from my mower and me!

Is that courtesy enough?

• Like 2

pinotlover:  Totally.  

Like you, I've seen people wearing their masks doing some of the darnedest things where there is clearly no danger to anyone because there's no one else there.  Although, now that I think about it, if a person is, in fact, a carrier/spreader, then the more often and for the longer period of time he/she wears that mask when not needed, it becomes more and more contaminated, thereby reducing its effectiveness -- that's why they come with washing instructions.  So, unless one really enjoys doing laundry, it seems equally important not to wear the mask when it isn't necessary.  (JMO; not endorsed by Dr Fauci.)

Edited by DrHemlock

1 hour ago, DrHemlock said:

Although, now that I think about it, if a person is, in fact, a carrier/spreader, then the more often and for the longer period of time he/she wears that mask when not needed, it becomes more and more contaminated, thereby reducing its effectiveness --

Well hopefully most people are smart enough to wash after each outing or use a disposable mask once

But then again 🙄

35 minutes ago, jeanine said:

I think it is weird to wear a mask while driving a car with no one else in it! Why do these people do this?

Possibly they are visiting a couple of places and don't want to touch the mask, If unable to wash hands straight after doing so.

Edited by janecambridge
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, jeanine said:

I think it is weird to wear a mask while driving a car with no one else in it! Why do these people do this?

Panic...induced by hearing and listening to too many divergent opinions..... Fear is all consuming for some people and they react rather than respond.   irrational behavior becomes rational

• Like 2

Fear mongering and yellow journalism go hand in hand!

5 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Panic...induced by hearing and listening to too many divergent opinions..... Fear is all consuming for some people and they react rather than respond.   irrational behavior becomes rational

What is a 70+ year old , mowing his yard in 90+ degree heat and 70+% humidity, doing wearing a mask? Do you believe COVID is his biggest danger! Do you believe COVID is a danger at all doing that tasks? Yellow Journalism has convinced him it is!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

What is a 70+ year old , mowing his yard in 90+ degree heat and 70+% humidity, doing wearing a mask?Yellow Journalism has convinced him it is!

It is useless and overkill but give him credit for following instructions - wear a mask when outside your house.

It is a MUCH, MUCH better choice and behavior than I see people in do in large crowds - be it in Ozarks swimming pools or during mass street protests in close contact with each other  NOT wearing one. The first example is harmless the latter one is harmful - that's the difference. Maybe those not wearing a mask were convinced by a different type of yellow journalism that they don't need to do it.

Kudos to the old man and shame to those others.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, my Dentist just got an update from the CDC concerning Covid which warns that when engaging in STRENUOUS physical activities, a twelve to fifteen foot social distance becomes prudent.

...Just how big was this gentlemens' lawn?

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Fear mongering and yellow journalism go hand in hand!

What is a 70+ year old , mowing his yard in 90+ degree heat and 70+% humidity, doing wearing a mask? Do you believe COVID is his biggest danger! Do you believe COVID is a danger at all doing that tasks? Yellow Journalism has convinced him it is!

Here is a completely different take on this. Years ago I had a Snapper mower with a grass catcher. It created so much dust that I had to wear a mask to filter the dust. This was probably 35 years ago. Perhaps what he was doing was similar and has nothing to do with what's happening with Covid. 

• Like 3

On 5/13/2020 at 8:56 AM, Hawaiidan said:

First of all all you have to do is listen to the press release weekly by " the experts"  who keep changing their opinions. 

In Britain they fired their expert because of his inaccurate and over the top forcasts.   Washington state experts  keep revising their opinions...  This virus has been around for a long time and just keeps morphing   This current  morph  will change too.

While there is a danger it is mainly in high population, medical susceptible/ vulnerable people.  50-80% are in nursing homes..  The numbers keep going down in new cases  but the media who loves bad news loves to paint a different picture.   

My point is,  that the threat is real  but people are being hyped  politicians and the press.   It is not going to last forever that is just logic  as nothing does.    Masks  will  slowly go away I suspect when the panic subsides

Have many friends in Britain, one of whom is a surgeon.  The number of deaths there are the highest in Europe.  The state in which I live is seeing a surge in cases and deaths almost one month after the governor started to open up non-essential businesses.   Yes !  There is confusion, therefore all the more reason to be cautious.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ORV said:

Here is a completely different take on this. Years ago I had a Snapper mower with a grass catcher. It created so much dust that I had to wear a mask to filter the dust. This was probably 35 years ago. Perhaps what he was doing was similar and has nothing to do with what's happening with Covid. 

Lots of people in my neighborhood, including my husband, already wore masks when mowing. Dust, fuel fumes, grass, etc. 

It's just that now people feel good about noticing and judging it, for some absolutely insane reason. 

• Like 3

If you do not want to wear a mask then don't 

if you want to wear one that is OK

If you go to  a place of business where they say "no mask no service"  then just keep moving

I notice  some States  that opened up places  early are now having spikes in cases of the virus

We are just starting open up  here  starting Friday in my area  hairdressers & shops can open  with guidelines

I  will wear a mask  when shopping  still

YMMV

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

If you do not want to wear a mask then don't 

if you want to wear one that is OK

If you go to  a place of business where they say "no mask no service"  then just keep moving

I notice  some States  that opened up places  early are now having spikes in cases of the virus

We are just starting open up  here  starting Friday in my area  hairdressers & shops can open  with guidelines

I  will wear a mask  when shopping  still

YMMV

NC is considering make wearing a mask mandatory when out in public.  We opened things up three weeks ago and the virus has exploded.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KirkNC said:

NC is considering make wearing a mask mandatory when out in public.

This approach has worked very well in many countries where it was mandatory.

There is plenty evidence for it, none against it AFAIK. It's not the final solution but it can only help when done properly in public.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

This approach has worked very well in many countries where it was mandatory.

There is plenty evidence for it, none against it AFAIK. It's not the final solution but it can only help when done properly in public.

I agree, look at the Asian countries where it is much more accepted to wear a mask and they have much lower case numbers and deaths.

According to the The Lancet, a leading medical Journal, social distancing( at least 3 feet) and masks help reduce the spread of the coronavirus. Also maintain good hand hygiene. I personally don't wear a mask while driving in my car, walking or sitting on the beach. Carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer so you can remove your mask when you get back to your car. New Jersey has had some of the most rigorous return to "normal" guidelines but our numbers have been dropping. I doubt our Governor will be reelected though. Stay safe!

I’ve been on a cross country road trip helping a family member move.  Eastern State to Western State. It seems the farther west we go there have been too many people not wearing masks. Walked into a very busy convenience store the other day and not one person was wearing a mask except my husband and I and the store clerk. No social distancing at all. We could not believe it and got out of there quickly.  These 2 states are seeing spikes in the number of cases.  Makes me wonder what people are thinking or if they bother to read or watch the news.