Wearing a mask

Bawbob

13 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

Utah and Nevada.  

The spike here in Arizona is even worse, and only the more mature (emotionally as well as age-wise) folks are wearing masks.  Social distancing is more observed, but rather hit and miss.

On 5/13/2020 at 4:56 PM, Hawaiidan said:

First of all all you have to do is listen to the press release weekly by " the experts"  who keep changing their opinions. 

In Britain they fired their expert because of his inaccurate and over the top forcasts.   

I don’t recall this - who was fired?

2 hours ago, clo said:

Interesting. Everything I see says 6 feet.

The Lancet is a UK journal and uses the metric system.  The article in question concluded that a distance of 1 meter (slightly over 3 feet) reduces the risk of catching the virus.  A distance of 2 meters (approx. 6 1/2 feet) reduces the risk even more.

2 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

The Lancet is a UK journal and uses the metric system.  The article in question concluded that a distance of 1 meter (slightly over 3 feet) reduces the risk of catching the virus.  A distance of 2 meters (approx. 6 1/2 feet) reduces the risk even more.

I can do meter/feet but didn't know that one meter/three feet is ok.

5 hours ago, Louby-Lou said:

I don’t recall this - who was fired?

Epidemiologist and advisor to the British government Neil Ferguson resigned in early May because he violated the lockdown rules by having his married lover visit him at home in London at least twice; The Telegraph newspaper broke the story, embarrassing the British government.  

Hawaiidan differs with the newspaper reports regarding the cause of his resignation.  

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Epidemiologist and advisor to the British government Neil Ferguson resigned in early May because he violated the lockdown rules by having his married lover visit him at home in London at least twice; The Telegraph newspaper broke the story, embarrassing the British government.  

Hawaiidan differs with the newspaper reports regarding the cause of his resignation.  

Thanks for that, Pam. I couldn’t recall Dan’s version of events - now I know why 😏!

9 hours ago, clo said:

He differs with loads of things.

Very true!

On 5/12/2020 at 9:23 PM, Hawaiidan said:

In our county  in Calif..... we no longer have to use them.....   The mask is just a reaction for a short term problem  ( only 5 months old)  it is not going to be a long term response .   It can be a personal choice as always  .    

This comment did not age well😒

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am pro mask for all of the safety reasons..good thing cuz I live in NY State where the law requires masks and people are very compliant. I comply and recognize the necessity but I absolutely hate wearing one. I feel confined and breathing is not easy. For me, they are not "easy to get used to." As a result I wear a mask out of necessity for shopping, doctor visits and keep one in my pocket while outside walking in case I end up close to others. However I do not plan to fly, vacation or engage in recreational activity requiring a mask. Just not worth it to me, given the discomfort. 

• Like 2

If masks are still being required the next time I board a plane for a vacation, I am going to sew one myself out of the most open weave, gauzy material I can find. I have real problems breathing through the paper face masks.. If the clear plastic face shields are acceptable as a face covering then I will use one of those. I have an 8 hour flight SFO-PPT in January for a Windstar cruise and I can't imagine keeping a face mask on for an 8 hour flight, especially trying to sleep.

50 minutes ago, susiesan said:

If masks are still being required the next time I board a plane for a vacation, I am going to sew one myself out of the most open weave, gauzy material I can find. I have real problems breathing through the paper face masks.. If the clear plastic face shields are acceptable as a face covering then I will use one of those. I have an 8 hour flight SFO-PPT in January for a Windstar cruise and I can't imagine keeping a face mask on for an 8 hour flight, especially trying to sleep.

The ones we have are soft, multi-layer cotton. I don't love them but I don't love wearing a bra, for instance. We're not sure we'll travel internationally until/unless but, yeah, I'd wear a mask except when eating.

3 hours ago, susiesan said:

The best solution in the scenario you describe would be for you to stay home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

The best solution in the scenario you describe would be for you to stay home.

Nope. If the Wind spirit is sailing and UA is flying to PPT I will be onboard. Masks are not required to visit French Polynesia and I highly doubt Windstar will require them onboard the ship. It has only 150 pax so nothing is crowded. I've got 7 months to find or make a tolerable face mask. It is possible by January that none of these pandemic theater measures will be needed.

• Haha 1

The whole politics of masks has really taken over.  Two scenarios, our home in Raleigh, 80-90% of the people we see out and about have a mask.  We are currently in Asheville in the mountains of NC and maybe 10% wear masks.  Like two separate planets.

Edited by KirkNC

Speaking of masks ..

I have some nice ones I bought from a private source.  But I hate wearing them!  Whenever I exhale warmth results inside the mask.  It's most uncomfortable.

BUT ... since I'm in NYC where they are required I use them ... and since I'm rarely leaving my apartment these days, I will carry it with me and put it on if I see someone approaching.

Now that NYC has upped it's requirements (or maybe I should say decreased them) on my short walk to the mailbox today about half the people I encountered were wearing masks.  Then again, this is a small residential neighborhood even though we are very close to Cadman Plaza where lots of protestors have congregated in recent weeks.  Even though we are only about 5 blocks away, we haven't heard any chanting.  Yet.

I see that Edgee and I have similar reactions ... I will carry the mask with me when I'm walking through our building and put them on when I encounter anyone.

We were in China in May 2008 when pollution was horrendous, but none of us thought of using masks at the time.  I have to admit that we probably should have when in major cities!  The pollution in Beijing a few months before the Olympics was astonishing.

I was going to end this post by commenting on something I saw today on a left-ish wing internet newsletter.  I've deleted it because I don't want to be political here.  But I found the comments very interesting.  Write to me privately if you want to know what the discussion entailed.  The main gist was why some people object mightily to anyone wearing a mask.  You all probably know what these arguments are already!

Mura

Mura

15 hours ago, Mura said:

Speaking of masks ..

I have some nice ones I bought from a private source.  But I hate wearing them!  Whenever I exhale warmth results inside the mask.  It's most uncomfortable.

BUT ... since I'm in NYC where they are required I use them ... and since I'm rarely leaving my apartment these days, I will carry it with me and put it on if I see someone approaching.

Now that NYC has upped it's requirements (or maybe I should say decreased them) on my short walk to the mailbox today about half the people I encountered were wearing masks.  Then again, this is a small residential neighborhood even though we are very close to Cadman Plaza where lots of protestors have congregated in recent weeks.  Even though we are only about 5 blocks away, we haven't heard any chanting.  Yet.

I see that Edgee and I have similar reactions ... I will carry the mask with me when I'm walking through our building and put them on when I encounter anyone.

We were in China in May 2008 when pollution was horrendous, but none of us thought of using masks at the time.  I have to admit that we probably should have when in major cities!  The pollution in Beijing a few months before the Olympics was astonishing.

I was going to end this post by commenting on something I saw today on a left-ish wing internet newsletter.  I've deleted it because I don't want to be political here.  But I found the comments very interesting.  Write to me privately if you want to know what the discussion entailed.  The main gist was why some people object mightily to anyone wearing a mask.  You all probably know what these arguments are already!

Mura

Mura

Seems to me that wearing a mask makes everyone a little safer. 

• Like 3

I note with interest the decrease in the 'know it all' postings of people back in the early weeks in May, particularly in areas then safe, but now brought right up to the edge of fragility.   How's all that rhetoric working for you now folks?   I can tell you this disease is nasty, and if you get it, you may not die, but you will be sick, sick, sick....and you may very well have residual damage done to your organs that will not present for years.  I live in an area of the country that has taken this thing very seriously, acted accordingly, and fortunately, seem to have come out on the other side relatively safely - for now...  Our area was a metro NY hot spot, and our own and our fellow humans' health and economic survival have remained uppermost in everyone's mind.   I am proud to be a first responder in this market, and I can tell you that some of you who spout off about how personal choice and personal freedom and comfort and long plane rides with a mask being not your thing have just never seen (at least in early May when you were so vocal)  a really sick person, old or young, just unable to draw a deep breath.   Or realizing that, however much oxygen  is getting delivered, it's just not able to be converted absorbed and saturated from the lungs to the blood.   Wear your mask, wash your hands, don't go near people in crowds, and be thankful you are well.   We can turn this thing into good if we try.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, WFHFLOYD said:

I can tell you this disease is nasty, and if you get it, you may not die, but you will be sick, sick, sick....and you may very well have residual damage done to your organs that will not present for years. 

Just saw this this AM.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/scientists-just-beginning-to-understand-the-many-health-problems-caused-by-covid-19_n_5ef77886c5b6acab28426268?utm_medium=facebook&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063&utm_source=main_fb&utm_campaign=hp_fb_pages&fbclid=IwAR1xqri6z5M3zZ8fWDm-IKhl7WkzadCbKqxwa2kMUfQlToxlLrE5QJ35YUU&fbclid=IwAR23dxDuZi57tortuhHkKgEhGVNxfjuQOoZ5KI2iSoQPYVLp_ozKjbfWde0&fbclid=IwAR3Bbcq79pUGR2VUh7G3HJyfWDUzZZ7Bx5vQqkwbx_ZWHiXq4XSRYP41fhk&fbclid=IwAR2kQVPzqx9CRGaqGm1-mpcd-GxbY6G7uMFCdt-ic0Ucw1IMcfRZ4TsGtbU

Thanks for all you've done and do. And for speaking up here.

Regarding not wearing masks I was reminded of a favorite Maya Angelou quote:

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."

They're showing us loud and clear.

• Like 1